Chapter 30
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

His fingers didn't get a chance to knock on the door. Isabella opened up, dejected, and gestured at him to come in. 

Coming into her room, the same thought entered Owen's head, ‘What a mess.’

There was so much unnecessary trash in the room, it was ridiculous. Owen didn't know she did it so quickly but he had to commend. It was a truly impressive feat. ‘Sometimes, I wonder how she lives like this.’

He went to her bed and sat down with his legs crossed. Isabella took her place in her chair. The keyboard was gone and she avoided eye contact. A smile spread across Owen's face who elected to keep quiet. The ensuing silence was like torture. Someone had to break it.

In a minute, it did.

“I should apologize, right?”

Owen didn't reply. Isabella's low mutter was accompanied by a sigh. Elbows on the desktop counter, she buried her face in her hands.

“Sorry, I just…I just snap sometimes. I don't know what's wrong with me.”

“It's my fault. I put you under pressure.”

“I—no. No, it's not.” Isabella turned to look at him. Her eyes wandered over to the mess sprinkled throughout her room. “Look at me, I'm a mess. I'm addicted to Mountain Pew, my scripts are trash, I'm stopping you from streaming, and I try to be this cool, quiet person but I'm just moody. Making Ophelia cry…ugh, I'm the worst.”

“You know I don't agree with that evaluation. I talked to Ophelia, she's okay. She has thicker skin than you think.”

Silence descended upon them for a second time. Isabella didn't know what to say and Owen didn't know how to comfort her. It was an impasse. The smell of noodles lingered in the air, the many plastic bowls leaving a collective odor.

Looking at her reminded him what he did weeks ago. He got presumptuous. People didn't change at the drop of the hat. Circumstances stretched on and changed or helped repeat behaviour.

“Alright!” Owen got up, clapping his hands together. “Let's go on a date! Me and you!”

“A…date? Errr, where? When?” Isabella paused. “Today?”

“The day after tomorrow. It'll be a weekend date.”

“Don't you need to sleep? Also, where are we going?”

Questions, questions. Owen didn't feel like answering them just yet.

“Sleep is overrated.” He winked. “Don't worry, it's a surprise. It will be fun.”

***

The countdown to the date was stuck in the back of Isabella's head.

On the day of the surprise date, Isabella dressed casually. So did Owen, wearing a crisp button-down shirt paired with jeans and sneakers. Seeing Isabella black colored denim with an orange striped shirt and plain unbuttoned wool sweater.

As they stepped out of their apartment, the crisp morning air greeted them. Owen led Isabella to his bicycles and had her sit behind him, grabbing on tightly.

He didn't need to speak. Smiling at her one last time, the two blasted off. With the wind in their hair and the sun shining overhead, he pedaled through the city streets, weaving through the sidewalk with ease. 

“Where are we going?” Isabella asked.

“A park.”

“A park? What's so special about…” 

A quaint lush green space tucked away from the urban hustle and bustle. The area faced the Bay water and was at the outskirts of the amusement park. The Bay Beach Amusement was nearby. But that cost money, a luxury they didn't have. Isabella didn't speak and got off to stare at the shimmering blue miracle ahead. Owen was close behind carrying baskets and an umbrella.

Owen spread out a blue picnic blanket under the shade of a towering oak tree, the perfect spot for their date. He unpacked a delicious spread of sandwiches, fruit, and homemade cookies

“This was the first place you took us after we arrived in America,” Isabella said, breathless. “I still remember…I always wanted to see the ocean.”

Technically, it was a lake—

“But I searched it up and apparently this is a lake.” Isabella turned toward Owen, who awkwardly laughed. “Way to ruin my dreams.”

“It's the magic that counts,” he replied cheekily.

“True. You know…” Isabella side-eyed him. “That night, admiring the stars and seeing the blue waters…I loved it. But more than that, I loved seeing you with me. I loved thinking that when one of childhood dreams was accomplished, I did it with you. I think…that’s when I realized, ‘Oh, I’m in love with this man. I want to stay like this and stay with him forever.’” She touched her chest, laughing like a childhood melody that he had longed to hear. “My heart was racing so hard. Just sitting here is making me feel that way.”

Isabella didn’t smile often. When she did though, even Owen fell apart. He couldn’t quite meet her gaze, cheeks going red, and plopped down on the picnic blanket. “Anyway, come. Sit. Let's eat.”

“Where did you get the food?” she asked, looking over the picnic. 

“I asked a friend of mine, Frank. He said his wife was bored at home and had a bunch of extra stuff to give out.”

“Huh.” She bit into a cookie. “Not as good as Ophelia's cookies.”

“I guess we're not feeling the love. Frank swears they're the best in the world.”

“These cookies? Not a chance.”

They laughed and talked, the stresses of daily life melting away. The simple pleasure of spending time together in nature was enough to make the day unforgettable.

“Thank you for this,” Isabella said. “I mean it. My head feels…clear.”

“We should do this often,” Owen said. “I think you said it before: going outside, exercising, eating healthy, these things actually help. You don't have to do it all the time but at least once a week.” He held out a hand. “With me, if you're willing.”

“I'm a lazy bum that never gets out of bed on time, so…” Isabella put her hand over his, smiling. “I'm counting on you, Cariño.”

0