Chapter 18: Walking Around Rivercircle
229 3 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[10:00 AM]

Looking at her watch, Alina thought of what her usual self would do in the morning; take a shower, have breakfast, then go to the hospital using her car. However, in this world,  the sky was still dark at this time. Still, in front of the commissary terminal, Alina thought about what she should do next. 

After all, despite of what she had done, she still felt that she had done nothing. Sure, she got new armor, a new weapon, and probably, a new friend, but she didn't have any place to sleep or any reliable job that she could rely on. Her clothes were drenched in blood from the previous battle, and like it or not, she wanted to have it cleaned. 

Is there a laundromat nearby? 

She then walked around Rivercircle, adorning the wooden and stone structures populating it. She walked by each house, reminding her of old towns that she saw in Europe, with their architecture. Not that she often went there, but it was the closest thing she could use as a reference point. 

Eventually, she stumbled upon a clothing store. Alina stepped into the clothing store, relieved to find refuge from the chaos of the world outside. The shop was small but well-stocked, filled with a variety of garments hanging from rustic wooden racks. The smell of fresh fabric and the soft glow of lantern light gave the place a welcoming ambiance, reminiscent of a quaint boutique she might have found in a European town.

As she browsed the racks, the shopkeeper, a middle-aged demonic woman with a kind face and sharp eyes, approached her. "Can I help you find anything?" 

"I'm looking for something... to change to, I guess?" Alina explained, gesturing to her blood-stained clothes. She was unsure of what she was looking for. There were dresses, shirts, skirts, and other kinds of clothing. However, she knew that she wouldn't be continuing her career as a doctor anytime soon. 

"Of course, dear, but if I have to say, that's some piece of fabric you have there," the shopkeeper praised. 

"Oh, really?" 

"Yes, it's self-regenerating fabric, isn't it?" the shopkeeper added. 

"How could you tell?" Alina asked back. 

"It's quite obvious, dear. I can detect magic from your clothing, and I have to say, it usually means some kind of magical clothing, looking at the blood stain, I think it must have been a self-regenerating one, evident by the lack of tear and wear," the shopkeeper added. 

 Alina listened with growing fascination as the shopkeeper explained the qualities of her current attire. She hadn't realized the full extent of the clothing's capabilities until now. It was a clothing she found inside of her coffin, after all. 

The shopkeeper, noticing Alina's interest, guided her through the store with enthusiasm. "Now, for something more suited to your needs, adventurer,—moving through the wilderness, facing unknown dangers—you'll need something versatile and durable," she said, pulling out a set of clothes from a shelf behind the counter.

She presented Alina with a sturdy-looking cargo shirt and matching pants. "These are quite popular among the urbanite adventurers who pass through here. The multiple pockets are practical for carrying small items and tools," she explained.

"Is it really obvious?" Alina asked.

"The blood, the sweat, and the hair are obvious signs, aren't they?" 

"No, I mean, urbanite? How do you know that?" 

"Oh, just a guess," the shopkeeper replied. She then walked to another row of clothing, "If you prefer something a bit more traditional, we also have tunics. They're less utilitarian but offer a lot of freedom of movement and some say they blend in better with the local styles," the shopkeeper added, showing a finely woven tunic that seemed to echo the styles of the local townsfolk.

After some consideration, Alina opted for the cargo shirt and pants. "I think practicality wins today," she said with a smile. The shopkeeper nodded in approval, pleased with her choice.

"Good choice, dear, mind if I suggest some underwear too? Or maybe, some casual clothing?" She asked while walking to the cashier. 

"I think that's a good idea, maybe a white long-sleeved t-shirt, and lounge pants" Alina nodded in approval. 

"Alright, that's good. What's your size?" 

"10." 

"Alright." 

The shopkeeper quickly gathered the items Alina had selected: the practical cargo shirt and pants, a comfortable long-sleeved white t-shirt, and cozy lounge pants, including the underwear, mainly because Alina couldn't be bothered to select one as long as the shopkeeper provided her with a comfortable one. 

The whole shopping cost her 80 Leas, she paid for it with her phone before exiting with a paper bag containing the clothes in her hands. She then walked to the hotel where she stayed last night. 

Approaching the receptionist's table, a gentle small goblin woman greeted her. 

"Hello again, welcome to Riverside Inn, how may I help you?" the goblin receptionist greeted Alina with a smile.

"I'm looking for a room, for one," Alina replied. 

The goblin then displayed a holographic screen projection. Alina paid attention to the interface. One thing caught her mind, Riverside Inn by Hilton. It seemed that the brands before Alina got turned into a vampire still survived into today. She could only give a smile, knowing that the old American corporations somehow found their way to this world. 

"We have Executive, Deluxe, and Suite, with executive being the cheapest, followed by Deluxe, then ended by Suite. May I suggest the Executive package, ma'am? That also includes three breakfasts alongside room services; including laundry and housekeeping," the goblin added. 

"How much is it?" Alina asked. 

"For 24 hours, it's 80 Leas, and it's 200 Leas for a day, ma'am," the receptionist replied. 

"So, 72 hours, am I right?" 

"Yes ma'am," she replied. 

"I'll take the room, then," Alina said. 

"Alright, you'll be in room #4, payment is upfront," she said. 

Alina paid for the room with her phone and the receptionist gave her a card access to her room. Walking to her room, she was greeted with the same room that she slept in last night, only this time, the television was on the right of the room while the bed was on the left. 

Taking off all of her clothing, she immediately grabbed the bathrobe and walked to the bathroom. She turned on the shower. The warm water flowed down, hitting her head and slowly caressing her body. The water washed the dried-up blood easily. As she continued washing down her hair, she then noticed a notification of her vision. 

[Alina Lisbell - Lesser Sanguine Warcleric of Ingrid] [BP: 39,860] [15 Skill Points Available]

Class: Warcleric - Lvl. 10

Strength: 110

Agility: 25

Perception: 30

Vitality: 90

Aptitude: 70

General Skills: [Blood Inventory] [Bloody Swing IV] [Magnifier] [Diagnose] [Blitz VII] [Hostia Reconstructio V] [Regeneration III]

She leveled up, again, which was not surprising, considering that she just killed a lot of stalkers. Knowing that her weapons would mostly focus on her sheer magical power, she distributed the points at aptitude. 

After distributing the power, the red geometrical runes on her body glowed in red again. She felt a warm sensation flowing through her whole body. Maybe it was because the Aether on her body was giving off heat, but she had no idea. 

Looking at the mirror, she then inspected her appearance further. It was her but with white hair. Her face didn't look older at all. Her eyes were no longer than of dark brown color, but instead one with glowing red color. 

Her teeth also looked different, the fangs were much more pronounced, and somehow, she looked less tired with the lack of eyebags on her eyes and her skin was much paler, she was too pale to be called alive, in fact. 

What kind of genetical mutation is this? It certainly damages or alters my melanin to a certain extent, but I'm not too sure. And the teeth, teeth don't exactly grow back, do they? And my body? How did it exactly happen? 

A vampire bites down on its victim, and its victim drinks the vampire's blood. That's the way it works, and I don't recall drinking anyone's blood before all of this happened. Really, how did Ingrid turn me into a vampire? 

After pondering the mysteries of her transformation, Alina finished her shower, the warm water helping to clear her mind as much as it cleaned her body. Wrapping herself in the plush bathrobe, she stepped out of the bathroom, her thoughts still swirling with questions about her new existence and the nature of her vampiric change.

Drying her hair with a towel, she walked back into the main room. She then dressed in her new clothes and called the room service to clean the laundry. 

After making the call to room service, Alina settled into the comfort of her new room, taking a moment to enjoy the peace it offered. Soon, there was a knock at the door, and a staff member arrived to collect her laundry. She handed over the blood-stained clothes she'd been wearing, thankful that the hotel included laundry services as part of the room package.

With her clothes being taken care of, Alina decided it was time to explore more of Rivercircle. Maybe she could buy something, and most importantly, cut her comically long hair. She never had her hair growing to the point it almost reached her thigh. Heck, the longest her hair had been was when it was growing as long as her shoulder. 

Stepping out of the hotel, Alina wandered through the cobblestone streets of Rivercircle, observing the bustling marketplaces and the diverse array of creatures and beings that populated the town. She passed stalls selling exotic spices, magical artifacts, and weaponry, each vendor shouting over the other to attract customers.

Despite all of the magical potions, swords, and other merchandise, what attracted her was a saloon. She entered the saloon and asked her long hair to be cut. She approached the counter where a cheerful stylist with curly, bright green hair greeted her.

"Welcome! How can I help you today?" the stylist asked with a bright smile.

"I'd like to get my hair cut, something more manageable," Alina replied, touching the ends of her lengthy hair.

"Of course! Have a seat right over here, and we'll take care of you," the stylist motioned towards a comfortable-looking chair by a large mirror.

Alina settled into the chair, and the stylist draped a cape around her shoulders. "So, how short are we thinking?" the stylist inquired, combing through Alina's thick white hair.

"Just above the shoulders, please," Alina decided, wanting a significant change but still enough length to style if needed.

The stylist nodded and began snipping confidently, her scissors flashing through the strands of Alina's hair. In no time, the stylist finished the cut, styling Alina's now shoulder-length hair into a neat, practical length, something much more reminiscent of her old length. 

After that, the stylist tied down her hair to make it even prettier. When she looked in the mirror, she became much more recognizable, it was herself, less of a vampire, and more of an internal medicine doctor. She thanked the stylist and then left the saloon. 

"Now, what should I do?" 

Her attention was caught by a small apothecary tucked away between two larger shops. The quaint store was filled with herbs, potions, and medical supplies. A sign above the door read "Healing Hands - Apothecary & Healing Services." Intrigued, Alina stepped inside, hoping to find a connection to her past life as a doctor.

Inside, the apothecary was dimly lit, with a sweet, earthy smell pervading the air. However, make no mistake, the appearance of this shop was no different from the regular pharmacy in the US, with rows of cabinets displaying blisters of medicines from cough syrup, allergic medicine, to... aphrodisiac???

"Talking about fantasy world..." Alina had no comment on it. 

An elderly elf, with spectacles perched on his nose, looked up from a ledger as she observed the blisters of aphrodisiac, "Welcome, traveler. How may I assist you today?" he asked, his voice gentle and inviting.

"Just looking around," Alina replied, looking at the row of medicines. "Is there any way a healer can help?" She braved herself to ask the question, for all that she knew, she might prove useful. 

"Certified, or uncertified?" the elf asked. 

"Uncertified," Alina added. 

"Sorry, I don't have an open spot for an unlicensed healer. Besides, I don't know your specialization," the elf added. "Maybe you can get some freelancer job from Nexawork, if you get what I mean." 

"Much appreciated," Alina replied. 

"About the aphrodisiac..." The pharmacist said, but Alina cut the conversation short by leaving the pharmacist. 

Illustration for Alina after haircut:

16