Chapter 1-10
25 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter: 1

An unknown ceiling … There wasn’t one.

In the first place, there wasn’t even a ceiling.

I thought with my dazed mind.

Where is this?

Or rather, what time is it?

I looked at my wrist.w.a.tch … this is bad! Isn’t this past the interview time!

… Ha, this isn’t good.

There’s no helping it, I’ll go to Family Eleven to buy sukiyaki ice-cream or kelp boiled tofu pudding before going back.

Eh? Where’s the station?

Or rather …

“Where am I?”

Not only is there not a ceiling, there is neither ground, road, buildings nor sky.

Why am I here?

That’s right, the truck collided and a large number of horses came running out … and then?

I, am I dead?

“Yup, you’ve died. This is your deathbed. The truck running away after stealing 20 horses from a stable had an accident and you were caught up in the fleeing horses.”

I see, so I’m dead. Or rather, that truck, not only did it not see the signal, it was even a horse thief?

If I’m dead, that girl Miri would grieve.

Well, I believe Miri can resolutely live on her own … if she gets taken to our uncle’s house, she would be forced to change schools though.

Haha, if that happens, even in death Miri would be angry at me.

If I get to become a wandering ghost, I’ll have to prepare to sit in seiza position.

Hmm? Didn’t somebody speak just now?

The person who told me that I’ve died.

Who is it?

“You have some nerve to ignore a G.o.ddess.”

Eh? G.o.ddess-sama?

I turned back without thinking due to the captivating voice and I became petrified.

I couldn’t move, like a frog stared at by a snake, like a warrior glared at by Medusa.

An orc in a white dress was there.

s.h.i.t, as I had thought, after dying it’s really an otherworld, but to suddenly encounter an Orc from the get go, this is an impossible game.

Although I’ve not received my cheat ability yet.

“Who’s this orc you speak of. I’ve told you that I’m a G.o.ddess.”

The Orc … or not, the G.o.ddess said with an angry tone.

My heart was read!?

“Are you really a G.o.ddess?”

I was half convinced half doubtful so I asked.

“Yeah, that’s right. And so, although you are dead, you are the lucky person within a billion others to obtain this great chance, to have the right to transfer to an otherworld. But you would retain your current age and figure, so it’s not a reincarnation. So what’s your choice? Will you just pa.s.s on like this, or will you live a new life in an otherworld?”

“Erm, is it impossible to return to my original world? If it remains like this, my little sister would have to transfer schools.”

“That’s impossible. I’m not saying it to be mean, it really is impossible.”

Ku, impossible huh.

If that’s the case, then there’s no other road to take other than to live a new life in an otherworld.

“But, if you are transferred to an otherworld the way you are now, you would immediately die once again. I will specially bestow to you the mysterious power called heaven’s blessing. By the way, have you played games? Even though I say games, I’m not referring to Tetris or Solitaire. I’m referring to games like role-playing games.”

” … Yes, several types.”

Role-playing games are literally games that you play a role.

It’s a game where you manipulate a protagonist that’s a hero or swordsman, acc.u.mulate experience points to level up to become stronger by inputting commands.

t.i.tles like Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy or the Tales series are popular right?(TL: Thanks DK for the t.i.tles :D)

“The place I will be transferring you to is a game-like world like those. There are monsters and defeating monsters will let you grow with experience points and items. To begin with, you world’s role-playing games were made after a certain G.o.d intervened with the human’s subconscious because it was too troublesome to explain about the otherworld to people transferring to the otherworld like you.”

I was told a startling fact.

In other words, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, no, even those before it like Dungeon and Dragons were also made because of G.o.d’s intervention. I’m surprised. Maybe, the authors for otherworld transition novels also received G.o.d’s intervention and wrote such novels. (TL: Lol author believes he is the chosen one!)

“And so, firstly, I can increase your ability, but what ability would be good? Although I recommend you choose something that can make you suddenly get a job like a hero or similar ones.”

“No, I’m not really keen on becoming a hero or anything like that. Is it impossible to abruptly get rich or something?”

“It’s not impossible but is it okay? For example, if 100 trillion yen is credited into your j.a.pan pa.s.sbook, what do you think would happen?”

Yeah, that would certainly be harsh.

The people would be unclear how it was transferred and I would not be able to explain how I got my hands on 100 trillion yen.

In other words, I should give up on asking for something like a huge diamond as well. If I deal with the situation badly, it seems like it would be treated as stolen goods.

The other recommendations that the G.o.ddess presented to me were instantaneous movement or skill s.n.a.t.c.hing, or in other words, famous cheat abilities.

Instantaneous movement would be convenient for trading, but it’s not like it would make me stronger.

Skill s.n.a.t.c.hing is out of the question. To steal skills from other people is too much for my gla.s.s heart, and if it gets out I would bear tremendous hatred.

“Are there abilities that can safely increase experience points by 100 times?”

“100 times is impossible. 20 times is the limit.”

“I’ll have that then. Ah, if I have the same 2 heaven’s blessing, would it become 400 times?”

“It won’t. Even though I say 20 times, to be accurate it is +1900%. Even with the same 2 heaven’s blessing, it would be 39 times. Also, I only bestow 1 heaven’s blessing.”

Is that so. Well then, that will be fine.

I told the G.o.ddess “Then, please give me the 20 times experience points ability.”

“Well then, I’ll be going as well so please enjoy your otherworld life. Since there’s no way I’m going to give you any missions in particular anyway.”

The G.o.ddess said that and left.

So my otherworld life is going to start huh.

I will first defeat the slimes around the castle and aim for level 99 … just kidding.

I really feel sorry for Miri, but if I am going to live an otherworld life, I will enjoy it in earnest.

My otherworld life will finally begin.

Finally start.

Begin if you are going to begin.

It’s about time it starts.

Start.

Ne, when would it begin?

“G.o.ddess-sama, I somehow don’t feel any sign of transferring to the otherworld.”

… There was no reply.

Nothing happened.

Despite waiting for hours, nothing happened.

Bug? Froze?

Eh, what should I do?

“G.o.ddess-samaaaaa!”

I involuntarily cried.

If I remain in this s.p.a.ce with nothing around, my mind will go nuts.

“Oops, my bad … I ended up falling asleep. I am a G.o.ddess.”

She said as she began appearing from her feet. She was a young child.

She was a kid wearing a white robe, with blonde twintails and an unpleasant look in her eyes.

” … Eh?

“Yeah, it’s not unreasonable to be surprised. I will say this first. You have died. But, you are the lucky person within a billion others to have obtained a great chance.”

And then, the child G.o.ddess continued saying the same words as the previous fat G.o.ddess.

Eh, this is also a great chance limited to 1 person from a billion?

Don’t tell me, I’ve been double booked by G.o.ddesses?

I think the probability of that is 1 after 100 decimal places though.

“Finally, I think I will bestow upon you a heaven’s blessing.”

” … Ah, 20 times experience points please.”

Even though I’ve already gotten 20 times experience points.

After saying that,

“20 times experience points is not a heaven’s blessing the present me can bestow … but well, I’ll give you something similar. Well then, I’m going to continue my nap, so it’s fine if you just go enjoy your otherworld life.”

The same moment the G.o.ddess disappeared, my consciousness became groggy.

Ah, there was a misunderstanding.

Well, it was the result of me honestly replying, so it’s fine.

And so, well, would I get 39 times experience points?

Hmm, maybe it would have been a better choice to choose instantaneous movement for my second blessing.

As I was having regrets, I let go of my consciousness.

At that moment, I was not aware.

The heaven’s blessing given to me by the child G.o.ddess was 1/20 experience points required to level up.

In other words, a.s.suming 100 experience points are needed to level up normally, in my case I would level up with only 5 experience points.

Thus, I have, in essence, entered a state of having 400 times easier growth compared to others. But I was not aware of it then.

Chapter: 2

If it was Miri, she could easily translate this degree of English. That girl was even reading the original text of French literature at home.

This time around, I took the red book and flipped through the pages.

【I am a j.a.panese individual. And I am currently living in this world.】

That was the first sentence written.
【This world is called the Otherworld. I leave this book to you, my kohai, who will be living in this world as well. Hopefully, you will read until the end before venturing out. Note that same content is written in English within the blue book and in this world’s words in the yellow book. 】(TL: Kohai = Junior)

So there are other j.a.panese people in this world other than me?

Well, I was told that it’s a 1 in a billion chance so there is a possibility of that.

According to the book, an otherworld individual arrives at the pace of one every few years.

There are 3 places where the otherworld individuals would wake up at and these books were placed in all those locations.

【Please try saying status open.】

I said “Status open” as written in the book.

Name: Ichinojo Race: Human Job: Jobless Lv1 HP: 10/10 MP: 8/8 Phy Atk: 9 Phy Def: 7 Mag Atk: 4 Mag Def: 3 Speed: 4 Luck: 10 【Equipment】 Recruit Suit Leather Shoes 【Skills】 None 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

Ooh, something appeared.

Erm, according to the explanations, my name would be a.s.signed as per my j.a.panese name.

No, it’s different. My name is read as Ichinosuke, not Ichinojo.

Even though it was a common mistake made by my homeroom teacher when I was still a student, this is way too sketchy for a job that was done by G.o.d.

Also, for races, if you’re from Earth then everyone is human, but there are races such as Elves, Dwarves, Vampires and Mermaids in this world other than Humans.

I would touch on the part where my job was set as Jobless later.

So even after coming to this world, I’m still jobless huh. It seems like that’s the case for everyone in the beginning, but it still hurts.

The description of the game-like status followed.

HP: Life force. Death when it reaches 0. Gradually recovers.

MP: Mental force. Consumed when using magic. Gradually recovers.

Phy Atk: Physical Attack. Increasing it would increase the damage dealt to opponents when hitting or attacking them with a sword. It would also increase muscle strength, making it possible to carry heavy objects.

Phy Def: Physical Defense. Increasing it would decrease the drop in HP when receiving attacks apart from magical attacks. Increases stamina as well.

Mag Atk: Magic Attack. Increasing it increases the attack power of spells.

Mag Def: Magic Defense. Increasing it decreases the damage received when receiving magic attacks. Also increases the power of recovery magic.

Speed: Increases reflexes, dynamic visual acuity, and footwork. Also makes it easier to dodge attacks and increases attack accuracy.

Luck: Does not increase with level. Have various effects. Effects can be best felt after entering a labyrinth. Details can be found in the labyrinth section.

Incidentally, the average HP of a 20-year-old in this world seems to be around 50, so I am considerably weak.

Upon leveling up your job, you can learn various skills.

Changing job would decrease the status obtained from level ups, but the learned skills would remain.

For example, after reaching level 5 as a magician, increasing Magic Attack by 5 and learning fire magic, the increase of 5 Magic Attack would not be reflected upon changing job to a warrior but it seems like you would be able to use fire magic.

As for job levels, other than defeating monsters, acc.u.mulating experience points obtained by doing particular actions would level it up as well.

The particular actions are, for example, commoners paying taxes, magicians using spells, hunters hunting and dismantling monsters, or swordsmen doing practice swings.

It felt horrible that commoners acc.u.mulate experience points by paying taxes. It felt like there were various loopholes set up.

Moreover, isn’t Commoner more of an ident.i.ty than a job?

If being a commoner is an ident.i.ty, then is the current me below that of a commoner?

Also, is it possible that there are slaves that have their jobs as Commoner? It would also be slightly amusing to see aristocrats have level 80 Commoner jobs.

t.i.tles are obtained by performing specific actions and they give various benefits.

Blessings are mysterious powers given by G.o.ddesses that only otherworld individuals have.

Wait? 20x experience point acquisition and 1/20 required experience points … wait … by any chance, isn’t it something amazing?

Growth that is 400 times that of a normal person?

If that’s the case, then reaching Jobless level 99 would be an easy task as well.

Or so I thought but,

【As an explanation for Jobless, in this world, once born the people would change job into other jobs. The reason is that even if you increase the level of Jobless, your status would not increase and even after becoming level 5, you would not learn even 1 skill. I recommend that you immediately head to the town up North to change into Commoner or other possible jobs.】

So it would be pointless to level up as a jobless huh. I guess I will only level up after I change jobs.

【However, it is recommended that you don’t set out at night. Night time is around the time wolves appear. Rabbit monsters will appear as well, but even an empty handed Jobless should be able to defeat the rabbits. Rabbit meat can be sold or stored as food, so I recommend you defeat any rabbits you come across. You should be able to change your job for free if you mention that you were recommended by me – Daijiro. It should be noted that even though you still cannot read this world’s words, we are somehow able to understand it.】

There were multiple copies of papers with a map of the surrounding area attached there.

It looked like it was fine for me to take one.

There was also a dictionary containing j.a.panese placed there to learn this world’s words. It was probably written by Daijiro-san.

It sounded like the literacy rate of this world wasn’t that high, but there was nothing to lose in studying it so I also took the dictionary.

Also, although there are otherworld individuals living in this world, it was written that majority of the j.a.panese people live while hiding their ident.i.ty.

There were other various things mentioned in the book.

The people in this world believe in 6 pillars of G.o.ddesses.

Also written in the book were warnings that there are plenty of kidnappings, warnings that getting a slave collar placed on you by slave dealers would forcibly make you a slave, descriptions about the jobs and descriptions about magic.

It was truly a helpful guidebook for beginners.

And also, the topic I was delighted about.

There is a magic tool called an item bag and I was surprisingly allowed to take one before leaving. There were convenient items stored within as well.

Items placed into the bag would be housed in an alternate s.p.a.ce, the course of time would halt and food stored within would not rot.

There were 3 items bags, but I followed the instructions written in the book and only took 1.

Upon checking the contents, I found a vial containing medicine, 100 copper coins, 100 silver coins and 1 gold coin.

According to the book, 1 copper coin is about a dollar or around 100 yen.

【Lastly, I live in the magic city Mareigruri. I have no idea if I am still alive when you are reading this, but if you are stopping by the city, please come visit. I welcome you. Incidentally, this letter was written in year 379 of the Otherworld calendar.】

The book ended there.

It was written in the book to not take it out of the room. It was also written that the lamp was a magic tool that sells cheaply, so he hopes that I leave it here as well.

j.a.panese individuals who arrive in the future would surely need this book as well.

“Thank you, Daijiro-san.”

I expressed my thanks to my Otherworld senpai, before leaving from the door at the back of the room.

There were steps outside the door. After ascending the steps, I realized that I was within an enormous tree.

Exiting the large tree, I saw an animal trail. Even though I was within a forest, it wasn’t a lush and dense forest, so sunlight still streamed through and I could see clearly.

In addition, anything outside the tree could not enter. So that’s why there weren’t any worries that the likes of bandits would discover and lay waste to the place.

Erm, according to the map this direction is North. The sun rises from the East … which means it is still morning.

Like words from the Father of Bourbon, it would be different altogether if the sun rises from the West, but there would be no end in sight if I began doubting everything.

I faced North and began walking.

Just as I was considering taking my first step, a cute white ball-like animal with characteristic ears appeared in front of me – a rabbit from the get go!

So the Otherworld rabbits came in such cute shapes.

If I remember correctly, Daijiro-san wrote in the book that it is feasible to defeat it empty handed and that it can be sold.

If that’s the case, I’ll defeat it.

Although it’s cute, this is a battle for survival.

I picked up a sharp rock near me and threw it at the rabbit.

But, just moments before it hit, the rabbit dodged by jumping away.

And then, the rabbit performed a body blow – Ku, it hurts, isn’t it quite strong?

The pain I felt in my solar plexus was roughly that of an attack by the Ace of a Middle school girls volleyball team.

However, even though it would become bruised, getting hit once or twice would not kill me.

Since that’s the case, I attacked again. The rabbit dodged again and performed a body attack towards me but, too naive!

If the opponent is a volleyball then I’ll receive!

I sent the rabbit flying into the air, instead of attacking it, I slammed it with all my might towards a sharp rock.

【Ichinojo Level up】

I heard a voice when I leveled up. It was an inorganic voice similar to recordings.

It was really similar to Dragon Quest.

To check on my status, I silently called out “Status Open”.

Name: Ichinojo Race: Human Job: Jobless Lv13 (12↑) HP: 10/10 MP: 8/8 Phy Atk: 9 Phy Def: 7 Mag Atk: 4 Mag Def: 3 Speed: 4 Luck: 10 【Equipment】 Sharp Stone Recruit Suit Leather Shoes 【Skills】 None 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

I reached level 13 in one go, but my status completely didn’t change, and I didn’t even learn a single skill.

It looks like Daijiro-san wasn’t wrong.

As expected, I should quickly change job.

It’s not good to be jobless in both j.a.pan and in Otherworld.

Well then, I’ll place the defeated rabbit into my magic bag and sell it at the Adventurers Guild. It seems like there are dismantling skills if I become a hunter, so it would be fine to sell them after dismantling as well. Of course, I don’t know how to dismantle a kill. Since I have not even culled a chicken, not to mention a rabbit.

I’ll head North … and just as I thought of doing so, I discovered a rabbit once again!

This time, I was not caught unaware and easily successfully defeated it.

As a result,

【Ichinojo Level up】

【Jobless skill: 「Job Modification」 obtained】

【Jobless skill: 「2nd Job setting」 obtained】

【2nd Job was automatically set as Commoner Lv1】

Eh? Wasn’t there not supposed to be any skills obtainable as Jobless?

Name: Ichinojo Race: Human Job: Jobless Lv20 (7↑) Commoner Lv1 HP: 22/22 (10+12) MP: 13/13 (8+5) Phy Atk: 20 (9+11) Phy Def: 16 (7+9) Mag Atk: 6 (4+2) Mag Def: 5 (3+2) Speed: 10 (4+6) Luck: 20 (10+10) 【Equipment】 Sharp Stone Recruit Suit Leather Shoes 【Skills】 「Job Modification」 「2nd Job setting」 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

… Eh?

For some reason, hasn’t my status doubled all at once?

The Commoner status was directly added on to the Jobless status?

Don’t tell me, I’ve found a loophole?

… Even though I’m Jobless, I’ve begun a side job?

Chapter: 3

I hunted 2 rabbits. Although, with my 400 times quicker growth compared to regular people, I had the same growth as if a regular person hunted 800 rabbits. According to Daijiro’s book, the people of this world change job to Commoner immediately after birth, so does that mean n.o.body is aware of this trick?

This is a good discovery.

What does it mean to have the Commoner stats add on to the Jobless stats?

At the very least, apart from having abnormal growth due to the blessings, I am able to obtain double the amount of status compared to others.

My current second job is Commoner.

According to Daijiro’s book, Commoners can only memorize plain skills, but upon leveling up, the number of jobs you can change into increases.

For the time being, I stored the killed rabbits in my item bag.

If that’s the case, I wish to defeat another rabbit and quickly change my first job into another job.

As you might expect, having Jobless as my first job is too hard on me mentally. If I obtain a new job, I’ll have the 2nd job replace my Jobless slot.

Because I wanted to at least have a job in the otherworld. Commoner gives me a feeling like a Freeter so it doesn’t make me feel like it is my first job. (TL: Freeter = People who survive solely by working part-time)
Even so, the first step would be to follow this animal trail northwards.

Because the book made it sound dangerous if wolves appear.

The 2 rabbits would not be able to cover tonight’s lodgings, but I believe I have enough to spare to stay in an inn with the money I received from Daijiro-san.

As I thought about that, this time, I saw a black rabbit!

Lucky~, let me hunt you.

The black rabbit was a lot more nimble compared to the previous rabbits and it toyed around with me.

If the initial rabbits were slimes, then this black rabbit would be a she-slime?(TL: In dragon quest, the She-slimes are larger than regular slimes and stronger… I think)

I felt that it was an evolved species of the regular white rabbits.

If this goes on, it would escape!

The instant I had that thought, the black rabbit stumbled on a root stump. Just like in the nursery rhyme.

Chance!

I’ll go slash at it with the sharp rock. As I made that decision, the black rabbit resolved itself and attacked me with a body blow.

It was fairly quick, but I was able to dodge it. It was a kind of movement that was impossible for the previous me. Ah, I was able to dodge it because my speed went up.

Thanks to that difference, the sharp rock I was holding on to grazed the black rabbit’s neck, becoming a mortal wound.

【Ichinojo Level up】

【Commoner skill: 「Stone Throw」 obtained】

【Job: Farmer is now available】

【Job: Hunter is now available】

【Job: Lumberjack is now available】

Alright, it’s here!

Name: Ichinojo Race: Human Job: Jobless Lv27 (7↑) Commoner Lv8(7↑) HP: 30/30 (10+20)(8↑) MP: 21/21 (8+13) (8↑) Phy Atk: 27 (9+18) (7↑) Phy Def: 23 (7+16) (7↑) Mag Atk: 10 (4+6) (4↑) Mag Def: 9 (3+6) (4↑) Speed: 16 (4+12) (6↑) Luck: 20 (10+10) 【Equipment】 Sharp Stone Recruit Suit Leather Shoes 【Skills】 「Job Modification」 「2nd Job setting」「Stone Throw」 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv8 Farmer Lv1 Hunter Lv1 Lumberjack Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

Ooh, status and jobs both increased at one go.

Commoner only became Lv8, but Jobless also increased by 7 levels.

It looks like the growth of Commoner is slower compared to Jobless.

I predict that the rarer a job, the slower it’s growth will be.

However, simply relying on the fact that my second job is harder to level does not deny the other possibilities.

Also, as I’ve heard, the Commoner skills are plain after all. 「Stone Throw」 … I can do that even without the skill. Although I think the skill will apply a correction bonus.

If I remember correctly, according to Daijiro’s book, the Apprentice Swordsman job should be available once I reach Lv10 on Commoner. I’ll try to aim for that first.

Before that, I’ll modify my first job to Hunter!

I recited first job 「Job Modification」 in my mind. Is this how I do it?

【You would not be able to return to the Jobless job after deleting Jobless from your first job, is that alright?】

Eh? Wait a minute!

If I remove Jobless, I won’t be able to return to Jobless?

Is that so, so after getting a job, I won’t be able to become Jobless as long as I don’t lose my job? That’s common sense. However, since I would not be able to lose my job in this game-like job system, I would not be able to return to the Jobless job.

It’s not like there is a phrase to change job to Jobless.

I predict that the Jobless job still have many unknown possibilities hidden inside.

A third job, or even a hidden fourth job … there might even be a release of restriction in number of jobs.

It would absolutely be better to remain like this for now.

I understood this but.

… In the end, I still can’t get employment.

I couldn’t stop myself from getting depressed.

Chapter: 4

I traveled from the pristine animal trail to a moderately developed forest trail, but it didn’t take much time.

I imagined that there were Lumberjacks around judging from the presence of cut tree stumps.

After walking for a while, I saw something that looked like a small hut. It looked like a hut used by Lumberjacks.

There were a large amount of wood stored at the warehouse-like building beside it.

Upon walking further, I heard the sound of wood-chopping from deep within the forest.

Looks like there are people around.

According to what was recorded in the book, I can converse normally and if I’m not mistaken, the Adventurers Guild facility would purchase the rabbits I’ve hunted.

Although the item bag seems like a fairly valuable item, there is a contractual magic set on it, making it only usable by the first person who uses it.

Only magicians who are capable of canceling contractual magic are able to allow others to use it. Incidentally, Daijiro-san placed the medication and gold into the item bag before canceling the contractual magic and removing the ownership.

By the way, there is also another way that the ownership is canceled, that is when the owner dies.

For that reason, there isn’t really a problem if the item bag is seen, but it is also not something I would proudly carry about in the open.

While ruminating the thought that the book is a memoir of Daijiro-san, I continued pressing forward on the forest trail, finally reaching a plain.

A highway large enough for carriages to pa.s.s through extended across my left and right.

The Imperial City is located on the right, but it looks like it would take 3 days to walk there.

On my left, I could faintly see a town.

Also, there were fields extending all around the town.

To cultivate fields at such a place, do they not fear the crops getting stolen or eaten by monsters?

The sun had finally arrived in the South.

To reach so quickly, it would have been okay to hunt for rabbits slightly longer, but I have to collect various information too.

The town was surrounded by a meter high stone wall and there were some large letters written on the side of the door-like entrance.

Hrmm, I could not decipher what was written but it was most likely something like the name of this town.

Even though the door was open, there was a lady standing guard holding a spear. With brown skin, she was quite a beauty. There was a crystal ball placed on the table beside her.

“Welcome to the labyrinth town, Florence.”

“Labyrinth town?”

“Yes. There is a beginner’s labyrinth within the town so the town is called the labyrinth town. You didn’t know?”

I didn’t.

Since it was not recorded in Daijiro’s book.

“Erm, could I enter the town?”

“Yes. Please place your hand on the crystal ball.”

“On this?”

“Eh? Oniisan, are you not from this continent? This is a crystal ball that examines your job.”

“In other words, you can find out what my job is when I place my hand on this?”

Isn’t this bad?

Not only would it be embarra.s.sing to let her find out that I’m still Jobless, she might even question me as to why I am still maintaining the Jobless job.

Even if I expertly divert her questions, my Jobless profession would be found out whenever I go to another town huh? So troublesome.

Moreover, judging from her words, all the towns on this continent operate the same way. Maybe it would be better to flee to another continent.

“No, this magic tool’s power is not so strong to that extent and neither is it made for that function. It merely turns black whenever it detects people with the thief, pirate, bandit and convict jobs. In addition, it will glow blue if it detects a peddler and the entrance tax will be halved.

“Ooh~ that’s convenient.”

If that’s the case then there would be no problem.

I placed my hand on the crystal ball in relief. Of course, the crystal ball did not turn color. I’m Jobless after all.

“Okay, no problems. The entrance tax would be 50 sense.”

So I’ll have to pay tax huh. I have no idea what currency the 50 sense was.

However, if it is the lowest denomination of gold then it should be the copper coin …

“Erm, 50 copper coin will be okay as well.”

“Okay.”

Looks like I was right. I split the copper coins I received from Daijiro-san in half and pa.s.sed it to the female gatekeeper.

【Ichinojo Level up】

【Job: Apprentice Swordsman is now available】

【Job: Apprentice Magician is now available】

【Job: Peddler is now available】

Eh? Ah, that’s right, Commoners acc.u.mulate experience points by paying taxes.

I wonder how much I’ve leveled up. I’ll check later.

However, since Commoners level up by paying taxes, it’s a system that makes it such that the rich can level up the easiest huh.

“Well then, I will now draft an entry permit for you. Please show it when you leave the town and if you enter within half a month, you will be exempted from the next entry tax.”

If possible I would like to pay the tax again, but I believe she would think that I am a weirdo if I said that. Well, there’s plenty of other chances to pay taxes.

“Thank you very much. Also, do you know where the Adventurers Guild is?”

“The Adventurers Guild would be the blue-roofed building straight ahead down this road. It is marked by a sword and shield signboard so I believe you would not miss it.”

What a friendly Oneesan. Although I think she is younger than me. She appears about 17 years old.

It looks like she will answer any of my questions. If that’s the case, I hope to ask some slightly weird questions here.

“Erm, it’s a slightly weird question, but what year is it now on the Otherworld calendar?”

“It is now year 391 of the Otherworld calendar.”

“Ah, is that so? Thank you.”

She responded with a smile, without showing any signs of an unpleasant expression. I answered with a smile and a word of thanks to the Oneesan gatekeeper before entering the town.

If it is year 391 now, then Daijiro’s book was written 12 years ago. It can be said to be fairly recent and there is a high chance that Daijiro-san is still alive.

The town was fairly lively.

Many people were walking about and there were vegetables sold in the open air.

The smell of roasting meat from the street stalls … stimulated my stomach and made it sing a loud chorus.

Now that I think about it, I’ve not had anything to eat since morning so I’m feeling quite hungry.

Okay, let’s have food first … no wait, clothes come first.

Maybe because recruit suits are unusual, I’ve been receiving weird stares since just now.

Besides, it is too restrictive to eat in a suit.

Thus, I found a nearby clothes shop and entered.

“Welcome~! Wah, what an adorable boy, totally my type.”

The person with long blonde hair and husky voice who said that was the Oneesan shopkeeper … no, the effeminate shopkeeper.

His chin was shining blue and he had bulging muscles. And yet, he had a red dress on. I’m certain that I’ve entered the wrong shop, but I have no choice since I’ve already entered.

“Er, erm, I would like to buy a set of inconspicuous clothing but … ah, how much would you pay for this set of clothing? Ah, that is if you do purchase used clothes here.”

I removed my recruit suit and showed it to the female (?) shopkeeper.

She (?) … It’s confusing so I’ll just say shopkeeper … the shopkeeper had a difficult expression when he saw me take off my top.

“Hmm, if it is for that set of necktie, pants and shirt, I’ll give you 30 thousand sense. Or 3 gold pieces.”

“That … seems … expensive.”

3 million yen. Even though I bought the recruit suit for only 10 thousand yen.

“That’s about 1 year of my earnings. It’s about all of my shop’s savings. When I was an adventurer, I would not be able to earn that amount even after working for a whole year.”

So the shopkeeper was a former adventurer. I am certainly convinced after looking at those muscles.

Even so, although adventurers give me an image of risking their lives, it seems like quite an unprofitable job.

“This is an excavation item (Out-of-place artifact).”

Out-of-place artifact?

“Eh? Were you wearing it without knowing? Out-of-place artifacts are items that only appear when there is an otherworld summoning. Even though otherworld summoning has an enormous cost, the stuff that appears are mostly useless. However, occasionally, those items are made using unknown substances. For example, the fibers used for this clothing. I have managed this clothes shop for a long time, but I have never seen this material before. There is a high chance that nearby researchers would buy it which explains the price I quoted.”

A chill ran up my spine whenever the shopkeeper gave me the occasional l.u.s.tful gaze, but I was convinced by the explanation.

“Erm, have there been living organisms that have been summoned via the otherworld summoning?”

“Nope, although I believe there have been dead bodies though.”

Is that so … Looks like applying the otherworld summoning technology to return to j.a.pan would be difficult. If I could immediately return, I would return and tell Miri stories about the Otherworld, and return to the regular days where she gets angry and asks “Did Onii succ.u.mb to trying some weird drug because you could not get a job again?”.

“Is that so … I will sell this whole set of clothes so please show me 5 sets of clothing.”

“I have hemp, cotton and silk clothes, which would you prefer? For a set of top and bottom clothing, it would cost 20 sense for hemp, 60 sense for cotton and 200 sense for silk.”

“Ah … cotton please.”

Even though it is 3 times the price, if it only costs about 60 copper coins then cotton would be better.

Apparently, 1 sense in this world is equal to about 100 yen. Is there no smaller change than that? But, if there are smaller change, there might be people who try to exploit it by casting their own. It’s also costly to make coins.

I entered the fitting room, put on the pale green cotton top and bottom and tied the waist cord.

Alright! It looks exactly like an Otherworlder’s apparel no matter how or where I look at it from. I also want to have armor fitted over it, but it looks like those are not sold in this shop.

Naturally.

“Thank you. It fits perfectly.”

“I’m glad that you like it. However, it doesn’t look like I can prepare the money immediately. Could I pa.s.s you 5000 sense today and give you the remaining 24700 sense tomorrow?”

Well, it is certainly true that one would not usually keep a lot of money in the shop. It’s not like a certain p.a.w.nshop.

After telling the shopkeeper that I understand, the shopkeeper wrote a written acknowledgment of debt and placed his thumbprint before handing it to me.

I totally could not read the characters at all, but I guess it’s most likely that.

After exiting the shop, I noticed that my black leather shoes subtly stood out from my clothes and I hurriedly re-entered the shop and bought a pair of leather shoes made from hide.

Hmm, since my Commoner level didn’t go up from buying items, there doesn’t seem to be consumption tax within this town.

Or maybe, there is consumption tax but indirect taxation does not give experience points?

By the way, I splurged on the black leather shoes so they were made from cow hide and hence it couldn’t sell for a great price here. So I stored it in my item bag.

While thinking about that, I murmured status open in a quiet voice.

Name: Ichinojo Race: Human Job: Jobless Lv27 Commoner Lv15(7↑) HP: 39/39 (10+29)(9↑) MP: 30/30 (8+22) (9↑) Phy Atk: 36 (9+27) (9↑) Phy Def: 28 (7+21) (5↑) Mag Atk: 12 (4+8) (2↑) Mag Def: 11 (3+8) (2↑) Speed: 24 (4+20) (8↑) Luck: 20 (10+10) 【Equipment】 Cotton Clothes Hide Shoes 【Skills】 「Job Modification」 「2nd Job setting」「Stone Throw」 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv15 Farmer Lv1 Hunter Lv1 Lumberjack Lv1 Apprentice Swordsman Lv1 Apprentice Magician Lv1 Peddler Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

To this extent huh. Well, the 50 sense tax with 400 times experience points would be equal to paying 20000 sense … 2 gold coins worth of tax would give enough experience points to raise my level at one go.

I’m convinced. It’s about 8 months worth of the clothes shop shopkeeper.

Nevertheless, to think that my clothes would fetch such a high price, maybe I should check on the price of the rabbits at the Adventurers Guild.

Or rather, the amount Daijiro-san pa.s.sed to me was foolishly high. Is it really fine to receive 2 gold coins?

I’ve gotten my hands on a total of 5 gold coins without working at all.

It’s 5 million yen.

… It almost makes me feel like an idiot to want to work.

“Wait not good not good. I can’t become unemployed in my heart as well! Since I would become the king of unemployment if that happens.”

I cried out to myself. The surrounding people looked at me with compa.s.sionate gazes.

I’ll reflect on it.

Or rather, was it because I am a person that gets easily influenced by the mood that I couldn’t get a job until now?

For now, let’s begin by going to the Adventurers Guild and selling the rabbits.

Chapter: 5

Even though I’ve come to understand this world to a certain extent thanks to Daijiro’s book, I felt that it was best if I gained an understanding myself.

Of course, it’s not that I don’t trust the book, but the book did not touch upon the tax required to enter the town, nor anything about the crystal ball that detects a person’s job and also nothing about the skills for the Jobless occupation.

It’s not the first time I personally experience and observe the situation for myself. It’s similar to how when I was trying to find a job, I not only read articles on the overview of the company but I actually also requested to tour the factories or facilities in my own private time before tackling the interview.

Although, I was dropped due to failing the written test before I had the chance to enter the interview for that particular automotive company.

The place that comes to mind when looking for a place to gather information would be the tavern … but I am not good with liquor.

Even though I’ve already reached 20 years old and was of legal age to drink, youngsters nowadays steer away from alcohol so it’s no longer 20 years old = drinker.

I understood that I would not be at ease with the tavern atmosphere, so for the purpose of information gathering, the Adventurers Guild would be the best choice.

Thus, in line with my original intent, I aimed for the Adventurers Guild.

Blue-roofed building, sword and shield signboard, I immediately saw the place I was heading for.

It was a wooden bungalow. The door was ajar and there were many hefty men around. No, there were pretty Oneesans inside as well.

… So anxious.

I wonder … I felt that in an Adventurers Guild like that, a guy like me would 9 cases out of 10 be entangled in some sticky situation.

But … but there’s a lot of people around so it should be fine … yup.

It’s not like I’ll be brazenly dragged into a fight in broad daylight.

Why am I acting so fainthearted, this is trivial compared to the nervousness I feel when I open the doors to an interview.

I put on my business smile and entered the Adventurers Guild.

“Excuse me!”

I greeted loudly. I immediately regretted it.

… s.h.i.t! I unknowingly followed my habit for interviews.

Attention immediately gathered upon me, the majority of the adventurers quickly lost interest and retracted their gaze, but several adventurers were still looking at me.

However, it doesn’t look like I’ll be entangled in trouble so I’m slightly rea.s.sured.

I walked forward, headed for a vacant window and greeted.

“Nice to meet you. I’m Kusuno … No, Ichinojo.”

I wanted to introduce myself as Kusunoki Ichinosuke but this is the Otherworld. As long as my name is listed as Ichinojo in my status, I’ll take my name as Ichonojo.

“Welcome to the Adventurers Guild. How can I help you today?”

A chestnut-haired beauty with amber pupils greeted me.

And her ears were not at the sides of her face but grew above her head …

… The fox ears are here!

I was jubilant in spite of myself. No, it’s not like I love beastwomen in particular, it’s just, hmm, something like a man’s romance.

Secretly looking over the counter, I caught glimpses of a tail. I was mesmerized by it.

But, it would be suspicious if I don’t state my business soon. I’ll enter interview mode.

“I hunted 3 rabbits along the way and I heard that I could sell them here. Is that true?”

“Is that so, well then, please show me your adventurer’s certificate.”

” … Adventurer’s certificate?”

“Yes, those who change their job into a combat-orientated job in the temple will receive a certificate certifying that they are an adventurer. I am terribly sorry but we do not buy from non-adventurers.”

… No way, this means I won’t be able to buy and sell items from the Adventurers Guild as long as I am Jobless?

“For combat-orientated jobs, once you reach Commoner Lv5, the Hunter job that you would be able to change job to would be the earliest job that fits the criteria. It is a job available to all adult men who have paid their prescribed amount of tax.”

” … Erm, is there another method to become an adventurer other than changing job?”

“No.”

“But I absolutely wish to use the Adventurers Guild’s facilities with my current job.”

“Sorry, rules are rules.”

… No, no way.

No, this is a good opportunity, I was considering changing job after Jobless leveled up to a certain degree anyway.

Giving it some more thought, this might be a message from G.o.d telling me that it’s about time I move forward and get a job in the Otherworld.

“Good afternoon Katyusha-san.”

As I was deep in thought, a man from behind me greeted the receptionist lady.

It was a long-haired Ojisan br.i.m.m.i.n.g with vitality. Looks about 45 years old.

“Good afternoon Matthias-san. Erm, if possible, please avoid doing business within the guild.”

“Understood. Ichinojo right?”

How does he know my name? Wait, ah, my voice was most likely too loud so it could be heard around me.

“I slightly overheard your conversation. You wish to register with the Adventurers Guild no matter what but do not wish to change your current job. If that’s the case, I have a good proposition.”

” … Hmm?”

A good method? Or is it a trick?

“Erm Matthias-san, as I’ve mentioned, please don’t do business in the guild …”

“Sorry Katyusha-san. Well then, I’ll give you the details so come over here. Rest a.s.sured, I am friends with Katyusha-san or you can say, close friends. There are no shady individuals who are friends with guild staffs.”

No, there definitely are.

Those who say that they are not suspicious are especially worthy of suspicion.

But, maybe this is fate as well? Maybe this is fate at work similar to how it let me remain as Jobless?

After leaving the guild, Matthias began explaining to me as we walked.

“Not only the Adventurers Guild, even for the Alchemy Guild, Blacksmith Guild, Fisherman Guild, and the many other guilds that exist, you will need to have specific professions to belong to those guilds as well. However, there is one method to reap the benefits from the guilds without changing job.”

Matthias raised a single finger and said.

“It would be possible as long as you set up a proxy. For example, if Ichinojo wants to sell rabbits, you can ask someone that is already an adventurer to sell it in your stead.”

I see, that is certainly effective.

“Isn’t that illegal?”

“No no, these are conducts that the guilds accommodate. Of course, a margin for the middle man is required.”

“So it’s commission-based. In other words, Matthias you are that adventurer and you will sell the items in my stead?”

“No no, I am not an adventurer. I am engaged in slave dealership.”

Slave dealer?

Slave dealer … in other words, selling slaves?

Uwah, seriously? Human trafficking?

I was aware of slavery from Daijiro’s notebook, but I thought that it was something that happens in a distant land.

“Ah, even though I call them slaves, in this country the slaves are not treated that badly. The owner is obligated to provide clothes, food and shelter to the slave and if the treatment is terrible the country will punish the owner.”

Matthias explained after seeing my expression turn sour.

Hmm, but still.

Having slaves still gives me the worst image.

“My company does not only trade in slaves, we also offer rentals. For rentals, it would differ depending on the slave, but 1 hour would be 5 sense. Rabbit meat for 1 rabbit will get you 10 sense, usually, an adventurers margin would be 30%, so if you sell 3 rabbits, 30% of 30 sense, which is 9 sense, would be the adventurer’s portion while the remaining 21 sense would belong to Ichinojo-sama. However, if you choose to rent a slave, you would get 30 sense and even after paying for the 5 sense rental fee, you would have 25 sense remaining. By the way, all violent or s.e.xual actions toward the rental slave is forbidden.”

Ah, if that’s the case then it certainly doesn’t feel as bad.

Simply put it is just temporary employment.

“Incidentally, how much would it cost to purchase one?”

“It would depend on the individual, but humans would cost about 10000 to 30000 sense.”

1 to 3 gold coins … or about 1 million to 3 million yen huh.

Although it’s not cheap, as a price on a single human, it can’t be said to be expensive either.

“Of course, there are individuals who possess special skills so it is a generalized price. The most expensive slave in my shop is currently an elf and dwarf half female who is also a Magic Swordsmith. Her price is 10 million sense. Rental would cost 500 sense for an hour.”

Her hourly rate for rental would be 50 thousand yen while her price is 1 billion yen huh.

Magic Swordsmith is likely to be a higher tier job of a Blacksmith, who are capable of processing materials to create weapons, and would be capable of making magic swords.

“In addition, you would be obligated to pay a poll tax. You would need to pay 1000 sense every year.”

A 100 thousand yen every year … hmm, if this world has 12 months in a year, it would suffice as long as I can save less than 10 thousand yen a month.

Nevertheless, it would be better to just pay 5 sense every time. It’s not like I’ll be using the Adventurers Guild’s service every day.

Moreover, I do not have enough allowance to spare to feed a slave.

Chapter: 6

Matthias’s shop was along the main street. It was an imposing brick building. I mean, it felt overwhelmingly larger than the surrounding shops.

Isn’t it an inn instead? Ah, no, if there are many slaves housed within then I guess this size is to be expected.

Since his shop was set up proudly in such a location, looks like slavery is indeed openly recognized by the general public.

“Welcome, to the Fountain of the White Wolf.”

A male employee held a hat in hand and bowed.

He looked about 30 years of age and had a collar on.

… I see, so that’s the slave collar.

I read about it in Daijiro’s book. Once that is on, the slave would have absolute obedience towards the owner’s commands huh.

Although, the man in front of me didn’t look sick and did not have any visible wounds. He was a clean-looking man.

Hmm, but he is stationed to welcome customers so I guess they wouldn’t station a man that is unsightly.

“He is my customer. Well then, Ichinojo-sama, this way to the back.”

Prompted by Matthias, I moved to the back room.

The back room was a larger room with a sofa and table placed in the room.

Looking at the fountain pen and ink placed on the table, I imagine this was where the contacts were signed.

However, the s.p.a.ce in front of the table was considerably wide.

Ah, I can roughly imagine why. I guess that was where the slaves line up for the buyer to choose.

“Ichinojo-sama, here. This is a service from my shop.”

“Tha … thank you.”

Matthias carried an expensive looking teapot over and poured a cup of red tea before pa.s.sing it to me.

There wasn’t any sugar added but there was a thin slice of lemon floating in the tea.

“Well then, I shall bring over the slaves who carry the Adventurers Guild’s certificate. Please wait here.”

After seeing Matthias off,

I took a sip of the red tea for the time being and it was at the perfect temperature.

Even though I am only paying 5 sense to borrow a slave, I can receive such treatment? That’s hard to believe.

Well, seems like whichever world it is, businesses still push for new customers.

Even though it’s only 5 sense today, renting for 5 times a month will come up to 25 sense, a year would be 300 sense or 3 silver coins, a considerable profit of 30,000 yen.

If that’s the case, then this would be an initial investment by Matthias.

And after waiting for a while, Matthias returned.

… And for the first time since I was born, I was stunned by the beauty of a person’s hair.

There was a person with white hair that looked convincingly enough for one to mistake that the hair itself was giving off light.

Rather than cute, she was more of a beautiful woman. With spotless white skin, even the models I saw in j.a.pan did not hold a candle to her.

I understood that she was not the same race as I was from her ears.

Because she had dog ears.

“She is Haurvatat. Please call her Haruwa. As you most likely can tell, she is of the white wolf race.”

White wolf … Ah, the white wolf that this shop is named after?

Seems like it’s wolf ears and not dog ears. Thankfully I did not comment out loud just now.

“For her, as I mentioned earlier, you will have to pay 5 sense for 1 hour. But, since this is the first time Ichinojo-sama is using our services, you will only need to pay 5 sense for 10 hours as a service from us.”

” … 10 hours … but I only want to have her trade in my rabbits in the Adventurers Guild.”

“If you deem that you no longer need her, you can bring her back and return her within that duration as well.”

I see. It is the same reasoning like how when rental DVD cost the same for 3 days 2 nights and week-long rentals, a person would automatically choose week-long rentals. It is fine to return her when I no longer need her anyway.

I paid 5 sense.

“Well then, I will give you your 10-hour contract.”

After saying so, Matthias placed a finger on Haurvatat’s collar and recited some kind of incantation.

And then, I was told to touch her collar and I did as I was told.

Upon doing so, 10 b.a.l.l.s of lights lighted up from the collar.

“That completes the contract. A light will disappear every hour, once 10 hours pa.s.ses and all the lights had disappeared, Ichinojo-sama’s contract will be dispelled and I will return as her owner. In addition, you are only renting so please do not conduct any violent behavior. If she is injured, you will be responsible for the cost of treatment.”

“Understood.”

I’ve mentioned it multiple times, but I am merely going to the Adventurers Guild so she should not be exposed to danger.

“I am in your care master.”

With a beautiful and dignified voice, Haurvatat bowed.

Master … the sound of that caused my back to itch from embarra.s.sment. Very much alike the first time I entered a maid cafe.

Although I’ve only entered a maid cafe once. Because Miri was furious after she found the receipt, I could not go visit ever again.

I was enticed to purchase a slave as pretty as she was, but I could not stomach the notion of buying a woman with money.

Moreover, I am still a Jobless.

I can’t even support a family, not to mention a slave.

Such thoughts can be put on hold until I have a stable income.

“By the way, Haurvatat-san, what is your job? Although I know that you are an adventurer.”

“I am a Swordsman. Also, please call me Haruwa, or Haru is fine as well.”

“Pardon me, I’ll call you Haru-san then. Swordsman, so it’s a job you changed into from an Apprentice Swordsman?”

“Haru is fine. That’s right, once an Apprentice Swordsman reaches Lv20, they can change job into a Swordsman. Though, the Swordsmanship Strengthening skill acquirable by a Lv25 Apprentice Swordsman is useful so many people change job after acquiring that.”

“Swordsman huh. It’s an admirable job.”

One would think about swords and magic when talking about alternative worlds.

Maybe I should change my second job to Apprentice Swordsman.

It would be fine to change my job back to Commoner when I need to pay taxes anyway.

Ah, but dropping back to Lv1 would decrease my status right?

I’ll test it out later.

“If that’s the case, how about master become a Swordsman too? Fortunately, in this Labyrinth Town, if you confine yourself in the labyrinth for 3 years you can become a Swordsman.”

“It takes up to 3 years huh …”

So it would take me about 3 days?

“Sorry, due to certain reasons, I cannot change my job now. However, I do wish to visit the labyrinth.”

“If that’s the case, please use me by all means. I am familiar with the labyrinth.”

Haru was staring in my eyes … with her tail wagging excitedly.

Uwah, the aura of wanting to go to the labyrinth was emanating from this girl.

Although she usually acts demure, I can tell her mood from the movements of her tail, is this what they call gap moe?

Since she hinted so strongly I do wish to bring her to the labyrinth, but …

“Sorry, Matthias-san told me to not injure you.”

“Is that so … no, I am sorry for asking for the impossible.”

Her tail and ears drooped down.

I was attacked by an acute sense of guilt.

But, there’s no helping it.

Thus, we arrived at the Adventurers Guild and I pa.s.sed her the 3 rabbits at the entrance.

“2 white rabbits and 1 black rabbit. I will swiftly return.”

“It’s fine if I don’t tag along as well?”

“Although the guild tolerates it, appointing a representative apart from official party members does not speak well with the guild. Master’s future errands with the Adventurers Guild may even be adversely affected. For example, even if you do not become an adventurer, anybody can put in a request for the guild.”

That’s certainly true.

Katyusha-san also told Matthias that she hopes that he does not do business within the guild.

Well, if a girl wearing a slave collar comes in to sell the rabbits that I had wanted to sell, 9 out of 10 they would directly suspect that she’s acting as my proxy, but with a 10% – 20% probability that it might not be me, the guild cannot confidently confirm it.

Since that’s the case, I shall obediently leave it up to Haru.

“I’m not in a rush so please try to sell it at a high price.”

“Understood.”

Haru bowed and entered the guild holding 3 rabbits.

I wonder how much she would be able to get for them.

… Eh?

Come to think of it, she seems to me taking quite some time. Is the guild crowded?

Well, I’ll wait a bit longer.

… So slow. It would be 1 hour soon.

… Don’t tell me, she absconded with my rabbits?

No no, it was written in Daijiro-san’s book that a slave wearing a slave collar is completely obedient to the owner.

Ah, but the person who applied the contract on to the slave collar was Matthias, so it might be possible that they are accomplices?

If that’s the case then it’s quite possible.

No no no, but I can’t imagine that Haru lying …

“Thank you for waiting master.”

“Ha, Haru?”

“Yes.”

“Ah, erm, that took quite some time.”

“Yes. Master said that it is fine to take some time as long as I can sell them for a higher price, so I borrowed the guild’s dismantling bench and dismantled the rabbits.”

” … Ah, so that’s why it took so long?”

“This is the total amount.”

She handed to me 1 silver coin, 100 sense.

Eh? The market price was 10 sense for a rabbit, it’s over 3 times more?

“I successfully sold the black rabbit for 3 times the price of a regular rabbit.”

” … Nevertheless, 3 folds the price huh. Dismantling is amazing … erm, Haru.”

“Yes, what’s the matter, master?”

“I’m sorry!”

I bowed to apologize for doubting Haru. Haru maintained her serene expression but her tail was swinging exaggeratedly in panic.

After I apologized, we returned to Matthias’s shop.

Author’s Note:

The appearance of the 6th heroine, Haru.

The first heroine is actually the yandere sister – Miri.

The second heroine is actually the Orc G.o.ddess that can freely operate the system.

The third heroine is actually (?) the Child G.o.ddess that is older than the MC.

The fourth heroine is actually the Oneesan gatekeeper that specialises in bare hand attacks compared to using swords.

The fifth heroine is actually a guy, the clothes shop owner.

Giving it some thought, yup, Haru-san doesn’t have much personality. I wonder if it’s fine to frame her as one of the heroines.

Actually, instead of a wolf, setting her as a dog would have been …

… I’ve said some pointless things.

Haru is the first heroine. Though, she doesn’t become his companion immediately.

As I thought, the first heroine must be a loyal dog … or not, a wolf is fine too. I already want to abandon that setting. The next update will be after dawn.

Chapter: 7

I accompanied Haru back to Matthias’s shop.

“Thank you very much, master. Although it was only for a brief moment, I enjoyed going out after such a long time.”

“I will ask for you again if I have any other business with the guild.”

I bowed down. And then, Haru went towards the back and in exchange, Matthias came out.

“You’re back so soon. Seems like you did not go to the labyrinth with that child.”

“Of course. Wasn’t it Matthias-san who mentioned that I must pay for her treatment cost if she is injured?”

I answered with a laugh.

“Well, Haru did want to go to the labyrinth but I think it would not be too late to go with her when I am competing for a spot among the adventurers.”

It would be fine to bring her along to explore the labyrinth when I’ve defeated more rabbits and become stronger such that I can traverse the labyrinth.

Her rental would cost 120 sense for a day so I must be able to earn that amount in a day.

Although, I am still currently Jobless. Furthermore, I am weak, a mere small fry.

I have neither the strength to protect her nor the ability to show off to her.

“Sorry, that would not be possible.”

Matthias’s reply was not something that I had expected.

“Eh?”

“For slaves in this country, they are able to live with moderate ease and are able to designate the owners they wish to be purchased by to a certain extent. For example, choosing female or male and age. However, that is only limited to slaves in their first year.”

“First year?”

“It’s the law that protects slave business. Since it would be troubling if there are slaves that have stringent criteria and absolutely do not wish to be purchased by anyone.”

“Ahh, I see.”

In other words, should one become a slave, they should work hard to find a good owner within a year. However, once that time pa.s.ses, they would have to compromise to a certain extent.

With the possibility that once a year pa.s.ses they would have to suffer getting bought by the type of owner that they hate the most, they would definitely compromise and work hard to be bought within the year.

“Erm, I understand the system, but continuing the topic, what criteria did Haru set?”

“Yeah. The criteria set by her is a person stronger than her. Because for someone from the white wolf race, they will only swear allegiance to someone stronger than them and swearing allegiance to someone weaker is a humiliation greater than death.”

… Even though she’s like that, to have had her call me master …

I’ve done something I need to apologize for.

” … Erm, I still have something that I’m unsure about. This does not explain why I can’t go to the labyrinth together with her.”

“Actually, there is an aristocrat who wishes to redeem her. He is a person that greatly supports the Adventurers Guild.”

… Ah, I can roughly make a guess.

In other words, if I offer to invite her into my party, I would incur the wrath from that ‘esteemed’ individual.

Such that I would not be able to successfully tread down the career path of an adventurer.

Perhaps, when we went to the Adventurers Guild to sell the materials, he knew that I was waiting for her outside?

“Of course, even aristocrats have to uphold the law. As long as she does not change her criteria, if that n.o.ble wish to buy Haurvatat, he would have to win in a fight against her. However, that is until a year pa.s.ses since she became a slave.”

So anybody can purchase her once a year elapses.

“… By the way, when is the day her first year elapses?”

“Exactly 10 days after today at noon.”

Matthias answered with a sorry look.

“Sorry, Ichinojo-sama. I found out that the n.o.ble is not an adventurer and that you were not under the influence of that aristocrat so I wanted to, although for only a brief moment, let her experience the outside. Slaves cannot leave this building unless they have a master.”

I see, so that’s why she wanted to go to the labyrinth that badly.

Because once she is bought by a n.o.ble, she would not have the chance to freely go outside.

” … Last question, what’s her price?”

“A beauty like her would usually cost about 100,000 sense. However, the agreement with her seller is that if there is a person who fulfills her criteria, I would yield her for 30,000 sense.”

30,000 sense huh … it’s the same as the purchase price for the recruit suit.

Ah, of course, I don’t plan to buy her.

I plan to cherish that money and furthermore, if I feel sorry for them every time, I would have to buy all the slaves in this world.

I left the shop and let out a huge sigh.

In the first place, what merits do I have if I buy her?

With my growth cheat, I can basically act solo.

As a proxy for the Adventurers Guild, I can always rent a slave like how I did today. It’s definitely cheaper than to pay the poll tax.

It’s true that she is pretty but I only spent an hour … no, to be exact I only spent several minutes with her.

30,000 sense for someone like that? 3 million yen?

Ha, it’s nonsense to actually rationally consider it.

『I cannot feel the enthusiasm from your aspiring motivations.』

Those were the words from the interviewer of a personal computer company.

… Why did I remember such words from the interviewer now, after such a long time?

『Your motivation is certainly rational and you gave splendid model answers. However, do you see you yourself in that aspiring motivation?』

In the end, at that time, I could not give him an answer to that question.

In the end, the prayer mail arrived.

In my present thoughts … am I reflected in that?

Of course it is, I thought, since I answered after thinking.

It’s the right answer to begin with.

What’s wrong with thinking rationally?

『Onii, your actions are too irrational. Why did you back out from high school? With father’s life insurance, you would be able to graduate high school without a doubt.』

… Why did I recall my sister’s words now?

It’s certainly true that with the life insurance I would be able to graduate high school. However, I wanted to use the money father left behind for Miri to graduate college.

It was more rational for me to support the family after graduating high school but I wanted to do what I did instead.

『… Onii, you don’t regret it?』

Miri that looked like she was about to cry as she asked me. What did I answer that time?

I have no regrets at all.

Even if it was a stupid choice, I will prove to everyone else that it’s the right choice.

That’s right, that was when I brought it out, my personal thoughts.

If that’s the case, what do I want to do?

I’ll discard the rational thoughts. What exactly do I want to do?

“I want to buy Haru.”

Others may think that I’m self-righteous. Maybe she would be happier living under the n.o.ble.

However, it’s fine as long as I don’t regret my choice.

I am certain of that.

The deadline is 10 days … no, after 9 days I will challenge Haru and win.

Until then, I will need to equip myself and become stronger.

However, I don’t have enough information.

If that’s the case, I only know 5 people in this town.

I can’t rely on the Adventurers Guild. I don’t know where the n.o.ble’s eyes may be.

I could explain to Matthias, but I don’t want to give Haru too much expectations.

It’s not certain that I would be able to grow stronger.

The most reliable person would the gatekeeper Oneesan. But she is currently working so it’s not good to bother her.

There is one person that I can rely on. As an ex-adventurer, he should be able to teach me various things.

Thus, I made up my mind and opened the door to that shop.

“Shopkeeper, make me a man!”

“Gladly!”

The effeminate clothes shopkeeper flared his nostrils and pounced.

Chapter: 8

I chose my words poorly.

I somehow protected my chast.i.ty and we once again introduced ourselves. I explained the situation to the clothes shop owner, Margaret.

“Hey man, I’m impressed. Yup, I’ll give up on Ichi-kun’s first time.”

Not just the first time, I hope you give up on the second and third time and every other time.

“Erm, I’m thankful that you will give up but why do you a.s.sume that it’s my first time?”

“Ara, a woman can know a man’s number of experiences by his smell.”

Margaret covered his mouth with his hand and lightly giggled.

You are not a woman though.

Or rather, that’s absolutely a lie. If that was true, I would be so embarra.s.sed when I’m in front of a woman.

“It is true that it is the greatest humiliation for the white wolf race to serve somebody weaker than them. I am convinced that they would seriously rather die. However, as long as she has the slave collar on, she cannot end her own life. Since they are commanded to not do so.”

” … Is that so.”

Something more painful that death.

If that continues endlessly, she would definitely never be happy.

“And so, what does Ichi-kun want to do?”

“I will become stronger than her and wish to buy her.”

” … That great resolution. However, that’s difficult. The white wolf race is strong. From what I heard, that slave white wolf girl is still young and her level is low but even so they did not catch her overnight. Ichi-kun, you are not an adventurer right?”

“Yes. However, I plan to change my job to Apprentice Swordsman Lv1 and grow as much as I possibly can. That’s why I thought that I could get some advice from Margaret-san and came here.”

Luckily, I have the growth cheat. And the Jobless cheat.

It’s possible that within 9 days I can acquire the strength that is above Haru.

“I see, so you’ve already decided. Women do not have the right to stop a boy with his resolve set.”

Like I’ve mentioned, you are not a woman.

Moreover, I am not the age of a boy. I’m 20 years old.

“I understand. Wait a moment.”

Said Margaret and he left me in the shop, heading to the back of the shop.

And then, after 5 minutes, he returned.

“A sword and light armour. I think it fit you perfectly so please use this.”

“Eh? No, I can buy the sword and armour myself and I just wanted to ask where I could purchase them.”

“That’s fine, but the only place to purchase weapons and armour in this town is the facility in the back of the Adventurers Guild. Aside from armour, only members of the Adventurers Guild and people who have permission from the country can purchase swords. Ichi-kun mentioned that it would be bad if the Adventurers Guild gets wind of you right?”

So that’s how it is.

That is certainly no good. It would be troublesome if I am interrupted now with my current condition.

“However, this armour and sword … size-wise I don’t believe it belongs to Margaret-san.”

“It belonged to my partner from my adventuring days. He was a cute boy exactly like Ichi-kun. To be honest, I was eyeing him.”

Margaret-san in his adventuring days … I imagine an extremely rugged man.

“However, sadly, he was killed by monsters. I did not plan to work with adventurers other than him so I retired. As an adventurer and as a man.”

It should have been a sad story but thanks to his declaration that he retired from being a man, which I did not understand, the mood was ruined.

“Such important belongings … Is it really fine for me to use them?”

“Equipment are equipment after all. It would be his wish that Ichi-kun uses them as well. You can present the margaret flower that he loved on his tombstone and thank him. Well then, Ichi-kun, raise your hands.”

I raised my hands and Margaret-san equipped the light armour on me.

In the meantime, I changed my second job to Apprentice Swordsman.

Name: Ichinojo Race: Hume Job: Jobless Lv27 Apprentice Swordsman Lv1 HP: 30/30 (10+20)(9↓) MP: 9/9 (8+1) (21↓) Phy Atk: 29 (9+20) (7↓) Phy Def: 22 (7+15) (6↓) Mag Atk: 5 (4+1) (7↓) Mag Def: 6 (3+3) (5↓) Speed: 19 (4+15) (5↓) Luck: 20 (10+10) 【Equipment】 Cotton Clothes Hide Shoes Light Iron Armour 【Skills】 「Job Modification」 「2nd Job setting」「Stone Throw」 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv15 Farmer Lv1 Hunter Lv1 Lumberjack Lv1 Apprentice Swordsman Lv1 Apprentice Magician Lv1 Peddler Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

My status dropped all of the sudden. The magic values were especially weak.

However, compared to Commoner Lv1, my HP, physical attack and physical defense was considerably higher.

And as I was confirming my status, looks like the equipping of the light iron armour was complete as it was displayed.

“This is a sword. However, you most likely can’t equip it now. To use a sword as a sword, you would need to learn the Sword Equip skill available to Lv2 Apprentice Swordsman.”

Eh? I thought of unsheathing it from the sheath but I could not pull it out.

Checking with my status, the sword was really not listed in the equipment column.

“The 1st floor of the Beginner Labyrinth only have kobolds. The current Ichi-kun should be able to barely win against them in 1-v-1. However, if it is 2-v-1 then run away. I believe Ichi-kun’s speed is faster so you should be able to easily escape. For kobolds, once you defeat 3 of them you should level up to Lv2. Once you reach Lv2, you can equip the sword and your experience points will also slightly increase even when you do practice swings.”

“Understood.”

With my growth cheat, it would only need 1 kobold.

So it’s fine after I defeat 1 kobold.

I could also venture back to defeat white rabbits but if I leave now it would be night time by the time I reach there. If that happens, I would have wolves as my opponents.

I don’t know which one of them is stronger but if both of them are equally dangerous, then I will follow Margaret-san’s endors.e.m.e.nt and go to the labyrinth.

“Also, something to take note of regarding the labyrinth. All monsters you defeat in the labyrinth will disappear and leave behind magic stones and items. The size of magic stone and rate of item drop changes depending on a single status, Luck. Magic stones are used as energy for many magic tools and are items that can be sold to the Adventurers Guild, so there is no harm to collecting them. Once you obtain that child you cherish, you can have her sell them. Also, come back at night. I’ll teach you the ways of maintaining your equipment attentively, in great detail.”

There’s no need for the great detail part …. but I’ll obediently accept his good will.

Lastly, he even gave me the map for the Beginner’s Labyrinth, he’s really overwhelmingly kind.

I will someday pay him back for this favour, other than using my body.

I’ve changed my second job to Apprentice Swordsman, but as long as it is not a formal job change, I won’t receive the adventurer’s certification so I guess I still can’t use the Adventurers Guild’s facilities. Also, I heard that the labyrinth was located at a corner of the town, about 10 minutes walk from where I was.

Aiming for that, I saw something that looked like the entrance to the labyrinth, stairs that led downwards. It was like the entrance to a subway.

There was a roof that slightly covered the stairway entrance, most likely something built to prevent rainwater from flowing into the labyrinth.

Standing at the entrance was a blue haired, brown skin beauty holding a spear …

“Wait, eh? The gatekeeper Oneesan?”

The Oneesan I saw when I entered the town was standing there holding a spear.

“Ara, Oniisan, you’ve come to enter the labyrinth? It was just time for me to switch post. Such a coincidence. Did you visit the Adventurers Guild?”

” Yes, thanks to you.”

“I see, that’s good then. If you are going to the labyrinth then be careful. Although it’s called a Beginner Labyrinth, every year tens of people die and ten times more people suffer from heavy injuries. Seem like there are even bandits that aim for the Beginner’s Labyrinth.”

“Haha, I’ll be careful …”

“Yup. Take care. Also, later I would be patrolling so if we have the opportunity we will meet inside.”

After the Oneesan said that, I replied with “I’ll be in your care at that time” and entered.

I thought that the interior of the labyrinth would be dim but it was decently bright.

I was wondering where the light source was, but somehow it looked like the whole ceiling was shining.

Hmm, something like LED lighting.

For the time being, I’ll have to find a kobold today.

I advanced through the pa.s.sage for quite some time, but I didn’t see any. Do monsters seldom appear?

Just as I had that thought, when I turned around a corner, I discovered my first Kobold. It looked something like a dog walking on 2 feet. It wasn’t wearing any clothes.

However, I only saw its rear view as it immediately turned around the corner at the back of the pa.s.sage.

To not lose sight of it, I took out the sharp stone from my item bag and ran after it.

The sharp stone was an equipment slightly stained red from the blood of the rabbits and I felt emotional at the thought that this will be the last time I use it. Although I don’t really have many memories about it.

And then, when I turned the corner I saw … 2 kobolds.

『If it’s 2-v-1 then run away. I believe Ichi-kun’s speed is faster so you should be able to easily escape.』

I recalled Margaret’s words.

Okay, run away!

Actually, I am not merely a Lv1 Apprentice Swordsman, I have my Jobless status added on to it so it’s not that I think I can’t win, but it is important to keep a margin of safety.

I turned heel and … what I saw was … 2 kobolds running towards me from the opposite direction.

s.h.i.t, I’ve been surrounded!

Chapter:9

2 Kobolds ahead, 2 kobolds behind.

This is a considerable pinch.

“Hey, look, Elise. There’s a rookie getting attacked by kobolds.”

“Indeed, Jofre. Seeing that he has a sword but he has not unsheathed it, it means he is still a Lv1 Apprentice Swordsman.”

I’m saved, there were other adventurers in front.

A roughly 18 years old red-haired male and a roughly 17 years old blue-haired female.

With this, I should be able to survive this.

That’s what I thought, but something was strange.

“Okay, Elise, want to bet? Kobold and that rookie, which would win.”

“Jofre, is there even going to be a fight? No matter how you look at it, he looks like an amateur that has never fought before. He’s actually fighting against Kobolds with a stone. Don’t you think we should help?”

“There no way to know if there would be a fight without it happening first, Elise. Well, I’ll bet on that rookie. Oi rookie, we won’t help! Survive this with your own strength!”

Oi oi, seriously?!

“You’re not going to help?”

“Of course, adventurers are rivals and we gain no benefits from helping you. Like what our adventuring senpai said. Lions push their cubs down a valley and praise the ones that crawl up. You can do it rookie! I’m rooting for you!”

“That time we also almost saw death before our eyes. But thanks to that we became stronger. You should work hard too.”

So, in the end, this would not be a turnaround? Just as I had that thought, the kobolds in front of me headed towards the adventurers that called out, Elise and Jofre.

Good, then I can concentrate on the 2 behind me … I thought but,

『Pashin』 I heard the supple sound of a whip.

“You will not come over here!”

Elise’s whip reversed the direction of the Kobold’s charge. Was that a skill as well?

The situation wasn’t improving at all. The kobolds in front of me charged towards me and attacked.

“You dogs, you definitely have not been vaccinated for rabies. Absolutely don’t bite me!”

After saying that, I held my sharp stone up.

1 kobold.

If I defeat 1 kobold my level would rise.

Once that happens, I would be able to use my sword and break through this situation.

1-v-2 is only tough for Apprentice Swordsmen, I have the combined status of Jobless.

With that … there’s no way I can’t win!

I steeled myself and ran towards my back.

And then, I a.s.saulted the s.p.a.ce between the 2 kobolds.

The kobolds extended their nails and scratched towards me.

However, at that moment, I forcefully broke through with a tackle.

I only received scratch wounds.

And then, I continued running.

Of course, the 4 kobolds gave chase but I had greater speed.

Naturally, the distance began to widen.

However, I then reduced my running speed.

And then, I looked back.

As expected, not all kobolds would have the same speed and 1 kobold was ahead of the others.

Seeing that, I turned around! Before the other kobolds reach me, I will have a 1-v-1 battle!

I’ll decide it in a single strike.

I aimed for a mortal wound to the neck!

I held the sharp stone and planted a body blow on the kobold.

The kobold opened its large mouth and wanted to bite me.

At the same time, I struck out with my right arm.

In conclusion …

Ouchhhhhh! It’s almost as painful as getting run over by horses! No, it might even be above that!

The kobold’s teeth drove into my left shoulder … but, at the same time, my sharp stone penetrated the kobold’s throat.

Blood spurted out from the kobold’s throat, dyeing my face red … but the blood and the kobold shined and disappeared, leaving behind a magic stone and teeth.

Eh? My level didn’t rise!?

I turned heel and ran once again … why on earth didn’t my level rise?

Perhaps, I can’t level up in battle?

As I was having those thoughts, I escaped to a certain degree …

【Ichinojo Level up】

【Apprentice Swordsman skill: 「Sword Equip」 obtained】

【Apprentice Swordsman skill: 「Slash」 obtained】

【Job: Apprentice Spearman is now available】

【Jobless skill: 「2nd Job Setting」 skill has leveled up to 「3rd Job Setting」】

【Jobless skill: 「Job Appraisal」 obtained】

【3rd Job was automatically set as Commoner Lv15】

Level up notice huh.

So it’s true, I can’t level up in battle.

Instead of Commoner, I’ll set it as Hunter.

I willed my 3rd job to change to Hunter, I was about to confirm my status but the other Kobolds at a distance were approaching.

I’ve already obtained the 「Sword Equip」 skill.

If that’s the case … I unsheathed the sword on my waist.

The sword that I could not unsheathe just moments ago came out easily! The sword fit my hands well.

So that’s the power of the skill.

And, the next thing on my mind was the skill called「Slash」.

I tried to imagine it but what kind of skill would「Slash」 be?

For skills like these, do they activate when I cry out the skill name?

“「Slash」 !”

I willed it and swung the sword in a large arc.

Immediately after, the shockwave from the sword cleanly split the torso of the 3 chasing kobolds in half.

【Ichinojo Level up】

【Apprentice Swordsman skill: 「Rotational Slash」 obtained】

【Hunter skill: 「Bow and Arrow Equip」 obtained】

【Hunter skill: 「Dismantling」 obtained】

I once again grew all at once.

And I picked up the glowing stones and claws that they dropped.

These glowing stones are probably magic stones.

The claws are drop items huh … I’ll store them in my item bag for now.

Fu~ It somehow ended.

For the time being, I willed status open.

Name: Ichinojo Race: Hume Job: Jobless Lv37 (10↑) Apprentice Swordsman Lv13 (12↑) Hunter Lv11 HP: 63/74 (10+41+23)(44↑) MP: 28/30 (8+12+10) (21↑) Phy Atk: 75 (9+41+25)(46↑) Phy Def: 70 (7+34+29)(48↑) Mag Atk: 19 (4+8+7) (14↑) Mag Def: 22 (3+10+9) (16↑) Speed: 59 (4+20+35)(40↑) Luck: 40 (10+10+20)(20↑) 【Equipment】 Cotton Clothes Hide Shoes Iron Light Armour Steel Sword 【Skills】 「Job Modification」 「3rd Job Setting」 「Stone Throw」「Sword Equip」「Slash」「Job Appraisal」「Rotational Slash」「Bow and Arrow Equip」「Dismantling」 【Acquired t.i.tles】 None 【Possible Job Changes】 Commoner Lv15 Farmer Lv1 Hunter Lv11 Lumberjack Lv1 Apprentice Swordsman Lv13 Apprentice Magician Lv1 Peddler Lv1 Apprentice Spearman Lv1 【Blessings】 20x experience point acquisition 1/20 required experience points

The sword has been added precisely into the equipment window.

This … If I remember correctly, the average HP in this world is 50 and I am already above the average.

However, my shoulder hurts. I am down 11 HP. Moments earlier my HP was 30, so I would have died if I was bitten 3 times?

The rabbit’s attack hurt but my HP pretty much did not decrease at all, so I was surprised by the strength of that bite.

I thought that I had secured a margin of safety but in the end, I just barely survived that battle.

Also, my MP decreased by 2. That was probably consumed when I used 「Slash」.

“Very well Elise, looks like it’s my win for the bet.”

“It’s amazing Josef, as expected of you. Well, what should we do with him?”(TL: Lol the guy’s name was switched to Josef from here on … make up your mind author.)

“The boss isn’t here now as well so let’s just leave him alone. Well then as per the promise.”

The man Josef forcefully planted his lips on Elise’s lips.

“Your lips are mine.”

“Jeez Josef … I thought that this time I would be able to s.n.a.t.c.h your lips.”

… Explode and die riajuu. (TL: Riajuu = a person who is successful or fulfilled in real life. Usually used by Otakus to exhibit their jealousy to someone who has a lover.)

At that point in time, I honestly felt that way.

Oh, right, 「Job Appraisal」!

How do I use that? To test it out, I looked at the 2 of them.

【Apprentice Swordsman: Lv23】

【Whip User: Lv15】

Oh, I saw it.

Or rather, they are pretty strong.

As I looked at the 2 of them left, I heard another set of footsteps approaching.

【Apprentice Spearman: Lv16】

That is … Ah, the gatekeeper Oneesan after all.

“Oniisan from just now, are you okay? You seem to have some injuries.”

“I’m fine, they are just some scratches.”

“You’re not fine. Here, drink this?”

“Is that, a potion?”

According to Daijiro’s book, potions are medicine that can drastically improve the recovery speed of HP. It’s slightly different from potions in games. Incidentally, I have 3 of them in my item bag.

“It’s just some cheap item. They are supplied products so I won’t be bothered if you drink them. If I declare it as a consumption item they would resupply me.”

“Well then, I’ll take you up to your offer.”

The potion was extremely bitter but the pain from my shoulder wound certainly did subside for the most part.

“Well then, I will patrol up to the 5th floor and return to the entrance after 3 hours. Oniisan, don’t do anything rash.”

“Yes. Thank you very much.”

Hmm, she’s such a good kid.

I’ll return for today and acc.u.mulate experience points by doing practice swings.

If I do 1 hours worth of practice swings, it would give me 400 hours worth of experience points.

As I walked, no other monsters appeared and I left the labyrinth.

Also, I have to visit Margaret-san to ask about the ways to maintain my equipment.

If that’s the case, I’ll go say my thanks and headed for the clothes shop.

Wait, I don’t even have an inn to stay in. I wonder if there are any empty rooms.

I’ll take the opportunity when I’m asking about the equipment maintenance to ask Margaret-san if there are any good inns around.

“Ara, what a coincidence. My shop’s 2nd and 3rd floor are boarding rooms. The rooms are empty so Ichi-kun can stay here.”

… So he even has boarding rooms … We, well, the labyrinth is near here so I’ll be imposing.

“Fufufu, the negligee are at the back of the closet.”

… A crisis for my chast.i.ty, once again …

Chapter: 10

After Margaret-san spent about an hour and a half teaching me methods to take care of my equipment, he had me help out with the store.

“It helps to have a boy around to carry the heavy items.”

We were working together to move cargo but it was clear that Margaret-san had more strength.

After that, I did some practice swings at the backyard of the clothes shop.

Practice swings are not something that can be taken lightly.

Just 2 hours of practice swings raised my Apprentice Swordsman level by 2.

Well, due to my 400 times easier growth, it’s equal to 800 hours. Even if a person spends 4 hours a day doing practice swings, it would be equal to doing it for 200 days. So it’s not surprising that my level would go up.

“Ichi-kun, that’s enough practice swings for today, wipe your sweat with this and come have food. Also, you can place your laundry in the basket next to the toilet and I’ll wash them for you.”

Margaret said that and left a pail and cloth.

Steam was rising from within the pail … looks like he went out of his way to prepare warm water.

The sun had already set and it was currently night time.

I guess I should end it for today.

I’ll go to the 2nd floor of the labyrinth tomorrow. With my current condition, fighting against kobolds is child’s play.

Oh, but it would also be okay if I defeat around 3 kobolds to level up before I proceed.

While thinking that I’m only getting spoiled by Margaret-san’s affection, I took off my top and squeezed dry the warm water soaked cloth before wiping my sweat.

Ah, it feels great. However, as a j.a.panese, I really want to use a bath.

I wonder if there is any way to do so.

As I was thinking … a chill ran down my spine.

What … somebody’s watching!?

It was an extremely bad feeling.

Don’t tell me it’s killing intent!?

Within this town?

I slowly looked toward the direction I felt the gaze … and saw Margaret-san snorting as he looked at my direction.

And then, our eyes met.

“Ky … kyaaaa”

Margaret-san covered his eyes and ran.

No, even if you act pure hearted now …

I wonder … I should really look for an inn tomorrow.

The back of the shop had become a dining kitchen and food was already lined up.

I felt nothing but foreboding.

“Erm, what’s the specialty around here?”

“Hmm. The fruit of carob is tasty. The vegetable called genji is also famous.”

” … Ooo, is that so.”

… It’s famous for fruits and vegetable huh.

And yet, why is it a full spread of meat?

Hmm? Is today the 29th? Meat day? (TL: It’s a pun. In j.a.panese, 2 = ni, 9 = ku, niku = meat)

“Nevertheless, Lun-chan is late. Let’s begin first.”

“Lun-chan? Ah, there are others who use this boarding house?”

I guess it’s to be expected. After seeing the 2nd and 3rd floor, apart from my room and Margaret-san’s room, there are 4 other rooms.

It would be a waste to leave rooms empty.

Apart from the feeling of danger to one’s body, Margaret-san takes good care of others so he would not leave people in trouble alone.

“That’s right. Lun-chan is a cute girl like me but you can’t touch her okay. If it’s aimed at me then you can touch me anytime.”

“Yes, I swear to G.o.d that I would not touch (both of you).”

I don’t have the ability (to earn a living) to touch the girl (?) called Lun anyway.

Using a fork, I tried tasting the meat. It had a light taste of seasoning so it was easy to eat but the portion was huge.

“She’s an extremely good girl that Lun-chan. Her name is Norn and she’s a brown-skinned gatekeeper girl.”

“Brown-skinned gatekeeper? By any chance is she a blue-haired Apprentice Spearman about 16 or 17 years old?”

“That’s right. Ara, Ichi-kun, you are acquainted with Lun-chan?”

“Yes, today I met her once at the gate and twice at the labyrinth.”

The world is small.

Which means that Norn-san’s good-natured personality is undeniably influenced by Margaret-san.

“I’m certain that she mentioned when I met her in the labyrinth that she would spend around 3 hours to patrol before returning.”

“That’s right. It should already be about time she returned. I don’t think she is the type to go looking for night life. This is a first.”

At that moment, the report I heard from Norn crossed my mind.

The report about thieves appearing in the labyrinth lately.

No, as might be expected, thieves would not a.s.sault gatekeepers or guards.

As I was thinking, a knock came from the shop’s door.

Even though the door has been locked and the sign indicating that the shop was closed should have been hung up.

“Ara, that’s the voice of the Guard Captain. He’s also very dandy but he’s not my type.”

That’s lucky of you, guard captain-san.

Margaret-san told me “I’ll be back shortly” and headed for the entrance.

In the meantime, I slowly ate the meat.

Even though the seasoning was truly the best, it was tough to only have meat.

I want to eat white rice. If that’s impossible then I want hard bread and soup.

As I was having those thoughts …

『Eh, Norn-chan have not returned from the labyrinth!?』

『So she has not returned here as well after all. Yeah, it has been 6 hours since she entered the labyrinth. It’s hard to imagine that she would be killed by monsters but … we’ll dispatch a search party tomorrow. Well then, I have to quickly make preparations so I’ll be leaving now.』

『… I understand, please take care.』

… Norn-san has not returned?

Don’t tell me, it’s really …

When Margaret-san returned, her expression was considerably haggard.

“Norn-san has not returned?”

“Yeah … But if it’s her, she’ll be fine. Well then, Ichi-kun, have some meat.”

“Erm, should I search for her?”

“No. The further down you go in the labyrinth, the stronger the enemies become and the wider the labyrinth become. You would not be able to find her haphazardly. Especially since there might even be thieves.”

d.a.m.n it, isn’t there a better way?

Is there no way to track her?

I had an ingenious idea.

“Erm, have you heard that Beastmen have noses that are many times more sensitive than Hume?”

That was merely my image of it but this Otherworld novel-like setting felt like it would be so.

If it is, then there is a high possibility that the G.o.ddess might have subconsciously written down the setting so that the beastmen in this world have equally good noses.

“Yeah, beastmen are several hundred times better than human and I believe they can track a person’s scent … Ichi-kun, don’t tell me you are thinking of …”

“Yes, that is exactly what I’m thinking of!”

The instant I’ve decided, I flew out of the shop without stopping to hear if Margaret-san stopped me.

And then, I ran at full speed towards Matthias’s shop.

The receptionist was just about to hang the closed shop sign.

Thank goodness, I’ve just barely made it.

“Please wait a minute! Matthias, is Matthias around!”

After hearing me shout, Matthias appeared from within the shop.

“Oya, Ichinojo-sama. Can I help you?”

“Please lend me Haurvatat-san for a day! I need her strength!”

“Please enter the shop first.”

Under my sincere request, Matthias brought me into the shop.

0