Kindergarten
3 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Dun worry Mei-chan. I'll 'tect yah" A gap-tooth little boy proudly declared as he puffed out his tubby chest in a hero stance.

The small, pretty girl in the daisy pink dress frowned. All the boys felt she needed saving, but Mei didn't think that way. Just because she was small and looked cute, didn't mean she was weak. Her big brother knew judo.

"I don't need pro-tect-ing." As she said the words really slowly, her voice was already being drowned out by the boys' determination to be the heroes for their princess.

Mei could only stamp her feet and continue to pout and frown. It got too much that she pushed the tubby boy over and ran off crying.

"Tanaka made her cry." The boys teased the tubby self-proclaimed hero.

Rather chase after Mei, the boys argued about their intentions between each other.

Sitting in a quiet corner, reading his book, Ryuu had monitored the commotion with interest. Although, he pretended that it had nothing to do with him. With the boys still arguing and turning their passion to other boy games, Ryuu saw his chance to see their princess.

Mei sat on a cushion in a play corner. She was surrounded by dolls and cute things. All the other girls were on the other side of the area playing make-believe cooking.

"Don't be sad." He sat down next to her. "They're just trying to be nice."

Mei huffed and screwed up her face, looking less princess like. She toed the carpet with a foot in a pretty pink sock. "They're just showing off. I don't need saving!"

She puffed up with pride. "My brother knows judo!"

Ryuu chuckled, which had Mei snapping at him. But she quickly calmed down when his expression had changed to apologetic.

"Sorry, Mei." He patted her head. "It's okay for others to take care of us sometimes."

Mei frowned, thinking on his deep meaning, and shrugged it off. He was probably just thinking about their parents caring for them.

She nodded and spent the rest of the day reading with Ryuu. It was at pickup time when Ryuu met Mei's tough big brother, Jun. Who looked fierce indeed with a tall, strong, body and angry face. But Jun was gentle with Mei and let her be the boss of him. Patiently goading her to the door, so they didn't lose track of their kind mother.

Ryuu sighed. He was likely to be last again and have to wait well into the night before his parent picked him up.

So after he had seen them fade away through the childcare hallway, he returned to his favorite, quiet, corner and resumed reading his favorite book. He was so absorbed in his story that he didn't notice it was late until the last page was turned. He wasn't too sure of the time yet, but even he could tell it was very late. The starless sky outside the play center's window was a dead giveaway.

One of the kind carers in the panda bear cute apron crouched before him. "Your father will be here soon. I'll wait with you until he comes."

Ryuu nodded and allowed the kind carer to read his favorite book with him.

"I'm really sorry." Ryuu's father bowed to the carer with his apology.

The carer's kindness sobered when they addressed Ryuu's father. But they didn't hold up more of their time.

Ryuu was too tired to notice much of his movements as he followed his father down the exit hall and to the bike stand nearby. His was almost asleep when his father carried him to the bike's passenger chair and strapped him in. As the bike was in motion, sleep claimed him and his last fond memories of his kindergarten day.

1