33: Doubt cut off by lying
48 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'Anyway, it's time to meet with the father of former owner of this body... But what does he want from me to summon me with such seriousness on his face?'

"It might be logical that he summoned me to punish me for the chaos that happened today, but I know it's not like him to do such an act. He wouldn't punish me, or rather, punish his son, even if he did worse than this."

Maimoun didn't know whether to be happy or sad about this.

"It's undeniable that he spoiled his son in a bad way, to the point of ruining him. It cannot be denied that he had a hand in bringing his son to where he is in my memory."

With this, Maimoun dismissed the assumption that he would be punished when he arrived at Somay's office.

"So what does he want to talk to me about if he's not going to punish me? Does it make sense that he noticed something in my behavior to suspect that I'm not his son? ...That would be a big problem for me if he really doubts it... Someone with his power, I wouldn't be able to do anything against him, at least not anytime soon."

Maimoun felt the gravity of his situation if he truly were in such a state, and therefore he quickly reassured himself.

"What makes my fear lessen a bit is that according to Fayte's memory, there haven't been any recorded cases of a soul possessing someone else's body, and that's logical because this world is a world made for me as a reward and a test from the Creator, so the state I'm in now must be the first and last state... probably."

Maimoun felt the seriousness of his situation if he really were in such a case, so he quickly reassured himself.

"What makes my fear lessen a bit is that according to Fayte's memory, there haven't been any recorded cases of a soul possessing someone else's body, and that's logical because this world is a world made for me as a reward and a test from the Creator, so the state I'm in now must be the first and last state... probably."

Maimoun shuddered at the mere thought that everything he had been thinking was wrong. If he were wrong, the consequences would be severe.

"I hope I'm right in the end, I can't be sure that I'm the only case of someone else's body being possessed, even if all of this is events occurring in my mind... but if that's not true?"

Maimoun wanted to reassure himself with some evidence, albeit vague, but unfortunately his mind didn't stop assuming the worst scenarios.

"Maimoun, you shouldn't let your guard down. You can't trust these memories blindly. I have to remember that I'm now relying on the memories of a person who can barely move from his bed due to his laziness... I'm amazed he has such valuable information."

This time, Maimoun's mind didn't exaggerate the issue; rather, this assumption was raised because it was convincing.

"Based on my knowledge of his way of looking at women and distorting the reality of their beauty in his eyes, I can only fear that he might have also distorted the information he received."

As soon as this idea appeared in his head, he knew that the possibility of Fayte distorting external truths was very high.

"Sometimes, due to one's beliefs or goals, one might distort the truth to align with what they want instead of making their beliefs align with the truth. I wouldn't be surprised if this happened with this person called Fayte."

Maimoun saw many examples of this in his real life, so he wouldn't be surprised if there were such people in this new world, and perhaps Fayte was one of them.

"What makes matters worse is that I can't even escape. If I'm wrong in my fear, I'll let somay notice that there are doubts about me, and if I'm right, I won't have any chance to escape his grip without support."

"At this time, all I can do is hope that I'm wrong about my fears... I've arrived."

Maimoun was now standing in front of Somay's room door, with fear and hesitation on his face, but he quickly encouraged himself.

'Don't back down, Maimoun. There's no solution other than facing the issue. Get rid of your fear and hesitation because they will only complicate the problem, especially since all indicators suggest that my fear is unfounded.'

Maimoun gathered his courage with a long inhale, filling his lungs with air and regaining his calmness.

"It's time to know the truth."

"Father, I'm here. May I come in?"

Maimoun knocked on the door and waited for Somay's response before entering. It didn't take long for the response to come.

"Please come in.... son."

Maimoun entered the room and found Somay relaxing in his desk chair on the opposite side, staring at him intently for some time. Maimoun felt a shiver run down his back but tried not to show any abnormal signs.

"Why did you summon me, Father?"

"Sit first, then let's talk." Instead of directly answering, Somay gestured with a serious expression with his hand for Maimoun to sit near his desk.

"Alright, as you wish." Maimoun then sat across from Somay, who was still staring at him intently.

"Ah, my joy, my dear son, finally starting to listen to what i say without any objection, as if he were a dutiful son to his father... Truly, this is something new to me," Somay said, his voice devoid of any indication of emotions, making it difficult to discern his expression now. However, Maimoun couldn't even raise his head from the ground to look at Somay's face to understand the purpose of his words.

'I... I don't feel comfortable at all.'

Not only that, but he felt something strange pressing on his back, not sure if it was from his tension or if there were hidden motives in the place where he sat.

He wanted to see Somay's expression, but now he knew that the expression on his face would reveal what was going on, as his eyes were wide open and sweat began to form on his forehead.

"What does the father mean? Isn't it normal for a boy to be obedient to his father?"

Somay laughed at Maimoun's response, and unfortunately Maimoun didn't know if Somay was laughing at his statement derisively, questioning its validity, or if he was laughing out of happiness, agreeing with him.

"True, that's what was expected in the past, in the previous generation. But as for this generation... it's almost impossible to find someone who believes in such lofty ideals."

As Somay spoke, Maimoun felt more and more that something bad was about to happen, especially when he heard Somay's next words.

"And unfortunately, even my own son, whom I know well, doesn't believe in that either," he sighed. "Isn't that right, Fayte?"

Maimoun suppressed himself, realizing that Somay truly doubted him.

'Bad, very bad... What can I do now?' In this situation that weighed heavily on Maimoun's mind, his body also reacted; his pupils dilated, and the sweat increased in intensity.

'Darn it, my hands are wet as if I dipped them in water. It's impossible that he didn't notice how much I'm sweating now.'

'no, no, Don't panic, Maimoun. Somay is still in a stage of doubt. Unless he wastes his time testing you, so know, Maimoun, that it's not the time to hesitate or fear.'

He had to gather himself and give a convincing response, or else it would be the endgame. Maimoun summoned what remained of his courage to look into Somay's eyes and said to him.

"Indeed, this is the old Fayte that you know."

"The old Fayte that I know you say?... What do you mean by that?" Somay's tone began to change to become calmer and colder.

"I think the meaning is clear. The one you previously described is the old Fayte."

Maimoun pointed his thumb to his chest, specifically to his heart, and continued confidently.

"As for the person standing in front of you, he's the new Fayte, the Fayte who decided to change for the better."

"Oh, really! What made you decide to change?"

"What can I say? Is it the irrational actions that will inevitably one day lead my family to ruin? Or is it the injustice I directed toward myself and my body due to my laziness and behavior contrary to my nature? Or is it the mistakes I made towards my family or my fiancée?"

"There are many reasons, as you know, I have no shortage of reasons to push me to change."

"...True."

Somay remained silent for a while, and signs of sadness appeared on his face before he continued.

"And suddenly, without warning, you decided to change? Just like that? Don't you find that incredibly strange?"

Somay asked in doubt, and rightfully so, for in the end, yesterday's Fayte and today's Fayte were different from each other, like night and day. What made it even more suspicious was that the time difference between them wasn't even a full day.

"In reality..."

"in reality what?"

Although Maimoun seemed tense, unable to come up with a convincing answer, in reality, he was waiting for Somay to ask him this question. He found information in Fayte's memory, adding some truth and lies to it would make the perfect answer to cover up the truth.

"Yes, this rapid change is unbelievable except in one case."

He knew such a loophole would reveal the truth that he wasn't the original Fayte, and he knew how to hide this loophole specifically.

"In this short period, I was lucky enough until I encountered a strange condition."

"What condition are you talking about?"

"It's a kind of rare condition that varies from person to person in time, severity, and manner... Hmm... What was its name, I wonder?" Maimoun began pretending to have forgotten the name of this condition for more credibility in his deception. Somay's expression started to change from cold to surprised.

"Do you mean (a glimpse into a new world)?"

"Yes, that's it, that was its name," Maimoun continued his act, making the audience participate in it.

"Yesterday, while I was asleep, I entered a state of (a glimpse into a new world)"

 

3