About “Journey to the West”
198 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The philosophical and cultural essence of "Journey to the West" is the confluence of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism, incorporating the fundamental principles of all three teachings. The book contains the alchemical secrets of immortality, the meditative practices of Chan (Zen) Buddhism, and the metaphysical depths of Neo-Confucianism. It shows a preference for elevating Buddhism while depreciating Daoism, yet Confucianism remains supreme above both. While these three strands of thought are interwoven and mixed, they do not stand on equal footing. Confucian thought is its foundation, Buddhist thought its main structure, and Daoist/Taoist thought supports the author's key ideas in creating the book.

Moreover, this is not merely a fantasy and adventure epic but also a cultural gem deeply rooted in the three major Eastern philosophies of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism. This classic work, through a series of compelling stories, showcases profound philosophical reflections and insights into human nature, while also subtly critiquing the social phenomena of the time. By displaying and critiquing the thoughts of Confucianism, Buddhism, and Daoism, the work presents a world that is both ideal and real, both mythical and human, inspiring us to reflect on the relationship between the individual and society, and how to seek a harmonious and wise lifestyle in an imperfect world.

Confucian thought, with its concepts of governance and emphasis on ethics and morality, has a profound influence. The order of the celestial court and the hierarchy among the disciples in "Journey to the West" undoubtedly reflect the social harmony and moral norms advocated by Confucianism. However, as the work indirectly reveals, the Confucian ideal of governance often leads to strict social hierarchies and corruption within the feudal bureaucratic system in practice. Under such a system, the concentration of power and entrenchment of interests become restraints on social development and individual freedom, reflecting some of the practical limitations of Confucian thought.

Daoist philosophy, centered on harmony with nature and the principle of "wu wei" (non-action), is embodied by the gods in the celestial court, some of whom adhere to their duties while avoiding responsibility, focusing solely on their own status. "Journey to the West" hints at the potential negative attitudes and tendencies to escape reality that pure non-action principles might lead to. In real society, an overemphasis on letting things take their natural course may overlook the necessity of actively changing social injustices, thus leading to societal stagnation and an inability to solve real-world problems effectively.

Buddhist concepts of karma and reincarnation permeate "Journey to the West," symbolizing the impermanence of life and the journey towards spiritual liberation. These teachings offer deep insights into suffering and life's goals, encouraging compassion and the pursuit of inner peace and wisdom. However, the concept of reincarnation could also be interpreted as a form of fatalism, suggesting a sense of powerlessness over one's destiny.

This book, "Wukong: The Monkey King" (where the protagonist is a die-hard fan of "Journey to the West" who reincarnates as Sun Wukong), explores whether he can perceive the undercurrents among various forces and escape the fate of being manipulated. Enjoy the epic saga of Sun Wukong's lifelong battles against the heavens and fate!

4