Chapter 21 Journey to the Eastern Sea
32 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sun Wukong was frolicking in the sea, riding turtles and playing with whales, having the time of his life. Just then, a Yaksha emerged from the depths, wielding a trident and shouted, "Who are you, outsider, daring to cause trouble here?" Wukong was taken aback, noting the Yaksha's dark face and canine teeth, looking incredibly ugly. He dismounted from the turtle and chuckled, "You're quite the ugly creature. Does this vast sea belong to your family?"

 

Enraged, the Yaksha replied, "I patrol the sea on the Dragon King's orders. How dare you call me a creature?" And with that, he lunged with his trident.

 

Wukong was about to defend himself when he had a sudden realization. This scene seemed familiar, reminiscent of Nezha causing chaos in the sea. "I am here for treasure, not to waste time with you," thought Wukong, and with a use of his invisibility technique, he disappeared without a trace.

 

Frustrated and with no way to vent his anger, the Yaksha furiously struck the turtle Wukong had ridden, scolding, "Useless creature, allowing someone to ride you without protest!"

The turtle thought to himself, "As if you're any better, letting them get away. But I dare not speak my mind."

 

Using his water-escaping technique, Wukong sped off, noticing an increasing number of aquatic soldiers with bright armor and orderly ranks as he approached what he presumed to be the Dragon Palace. Anticipating a challenging entry due to the palace's tight security, Wukong considered that brute force wasn't necessary, especially since he was only after his magic staff. He thought it wiser to stealthily take the Sea-Calming Needle without causing a fuss with the Dragon King, avoiding any obligations.

 

"How ingenious!" thought Wukong. However, locating the Sea-Calming Needle in the vast East Sea proved challenging. As he pondered his next move, a mantis shrimp scuttled by, and Wukong grabbed it, startling the creature into fainting, leaving Wukong speechless and worried he might have accidentally killed it.

 

While waiting for the shrimp to wake, Wukong noticed a plump seahorse approaching and transformed himself into a seahorse to blend in. He struck up a conversation, asking, "Where are you heading, sister?" To which the seahorse replied in a gentle voice, "I'm a male, going home."

Embarrassed, Wukong corrected himself and learned the seahorse was in a hurry to reproduce, a reminder of the unique reproductive role of male seahorses, which Wukong found amusing but hoped would not become widely known.

 

Just then, a clear voice invited Wukong to the Dragon Palace. Realizing his disguise was seen through, Wukong decided to confront the situation directly, ready to assertively claim his magic staff if necessary.

 

Following the voice, Wukong was met with a grand welcome, leading to a magnificent crystal palace, where he was greeted by the Dragon King of the East Sea, Ao Guang, who cordially invited him in. Wukong introduced himself as a divine monkey from Flower Fruit Mountain, seeking weapons from the Dragon King's treasury. Ao Guang, impressed by Wukong's demeanor, readily agreed to help.

 

Servants presented various weapons, but none satisfied Wukong due to their lightness. Ao Guang, surprised by Wukong's strength, admitted the heaviest weapon they had was a halberd weighing 7200 jin (approximately 3600 kg), yet it was still too light for Wukong.

 

Wukong remarked, "It would be laughable if it were said that the Dragon King of the Sea has no treasures."

Ao Guang, looking troubled, responded, "That's actually the case... Although it's said that my palace is full of treasures, they are mostly pearls and corals. It's difficult to forge weapons underwater, and most of our weapons come from elsewhere."

 

Wukong replied, "I don't care much for the type of weapon, as long as it's heavy enough." Wukong gently persuaded, hoping Ao Guang would take the hint and offer the Sea-Calming Needle.

 

After some thought, Ao Guang's eyes lit up. He hesitated before saying, "There is an item, heavy and ancient, that no one has been able to move. I'm not sure if it can be used as a weapon, though."

 

With a smile, Wukong said, "As long as it's heavy, it's worth a try."

 

Ao Guang then led Wukong to a deep sea trench, a deep chasm on the ocean floor flanked by high ridges, resembling a gash split by an axe. In the center of this trench, bathed in radiant light and auspicious mist, was the object. Ao Guang was amazed to see it glowing, thinking to himself that it must be showing signs of recognition to its destined owner.

 

Wukong could no longer restrain himself and leaped into the deep ravine. There he saw a divine piece of iron standing erect in the water, with golden hoops shining brightly on both ends, encasing a segment of black iron, identical to what was described in the book.

 

With a mere gesture from Wukong, the divine iron flew straight towards him. Holding it in his hand, he chanted "smaller, smaller, smaller" several times, and it instantly shrunk to the size of a staff that reached his eyebrows. He was overjoyed. With the acquisition of the Ruyi Jingu Bang from the Dragon Palace, he had no more regrets. As for the armor, why bother if it wasn't needed?

 

Holding the Ruyi Jingu Bang, he came to the exit of the sea, where Ao Guang and a group of sea creatures were still waiting. Seeing Wukong manipulate the size of the Ruyi Jingu Bang at will, they congratulated him, "Congratulations, Immortal, on obtaining this rare treasure!"

 

Wukong laughed heartily, "This iron suits my needs perfectly, thank you, dear neighbor!" After saying this, he was about to leave.

 

Ao Guang hurriedly stopped him, saying, "Immortal, it wouldn't look good if you only had this weapon when you leave. How about I gather a set of armor for you?"

 

Wukong was stunned; he hadn't asked, yet it was offered. What did this mean?

 

He replied calmly, "Having this weapon is already more than enough. I dare not ask for more."

 

Ao Guang insisted, "It's no trouble at all, no trouble at all. The three brothers and I manage the Four Seas; this little matter is nothing." After saying this, he secretly communicated with the other three Dragon Kings and led Wukong back to the palace for tea.

 

Soon, the Dragon Kings of the Three Seas arrived, and Ao Guang explained the situation. The Dragon Kings all smiled and each brought out a treasure. Wukong saw that there was a pair of lotus silk cloud-walking boots, a suit of chainmail armor made of gold, and a phoenix-winged purple gold crown, all shining brilliantly.

 

Dressed in these, his majestic presence was unmatched. The Dragon Kings of the Four Seas all praised, "What a divine monkey!"

 

Wukong thanked the Dragon Kings with a fist and palm salute and then bid farewell to the Dragon Palace. Although he had acquired treasures, the visit to the Dragon Palace raised suspicions. Despite Ao Guang's hesitant and fawning behavior, there was no unwillingness, which made it difficult for Wukong to feel at ease.

 

Wukong thought to himself, a fight was just a fight, and overthinking was useless. Thus, he split the waves and returned to the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit along the original path.

 

Annotations:

 

Yaksha: In Chinese mythology, Yakshas are nature spirits often depicted as warriors of the sea or guardians of treasures.

Dragon King: A mythical figure who rules the oceans and seas in Chinese folklore, often depicted as having control over water and weather.

Nezha: A protection deity in Chinese folk religion known for his power over the sea and for his rebellious spirit against dragons and other sea deities.

Sea-Calming Needle: Mythically, it's a treasure capable of calming the seas, often depicted as a powerful weapon or tool.

Seahorses: In traditional Chinese culture, seahorses symbolize good luck and are known for their unique reproductive role where the male carries and births the offspring.

Sea-Calming Needle: In this context, it refers to the legendary weapon that Wukong acquires, known as the Ruyi Jingu Bang or the "As-You-Will Gold-Banded Staff", which can change size according to its master's will.

Dragon King of the Sea: Represents Ao Guang, the Dragon King of the Eastern Sea, in Chinese mythology, responsible for controlling the weather and seas.

Cloud-stepping boots, golden chainmail armor, and phoenix-winged golden crown: These treasures symbolize the divine status and protection offered to Wukong, enhancing his abilities and signifying his elevated status among celestial beings.

 

 

 

1