Chapter 27 The King of Yu Monkey
25 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Bull Demon King noticed Wukong's peculiar expression and said, "Brother, you indeed have vast knowledge and have even heard of the Yu Monkey." Wukong smiled, "I've only heard of it, but I don't know what it actually is."

 

The Bull Demon King replied, "That's right. My master once said that few in the world recognize the Yu Monkey, and even fewer have seen one."

 

Wukong remarked, "Its appearance is quite unique, with a sharp mouth and monkey cheeks, somewhat similar to our monkey clan."

 

The Bull Demon King confirmed, "Exactly, the Yu Monkey is a branch of the Golden Line Monkey, extremely rare. This monster is over five feet tall, likely the king of the Yu Monkeys, the Yu Monkey King."

 

Wukong was slightly surprised by his guess, thinking indeed he must be the Yu Monkey King. Having arrived in the world of Journey to the West, he couldn't miss such an exciting event. He decided to find a way to ally with the Yu Monkey King, to learn why the Seven Great Saints had parted ways.

 

Wukong then inquired, "Brother, you just mentioned this monster has vast magical powers. What makes it special?"

 

 The Bull Demon King chuckled, "Its magical power is quite peculiar, harmless to us demons but formidable against gods."

 

"Really? Such magical powers?" Wukong wondered. "I've heard it specializes in stealing magical treasures. Weak-bodied immortals would be helpless without their treasures, while we demons, with our strong physical bodies, rarely rely on such items. Thus, the Yu Monkey King is indeed the nemesis of immortals," the Bull Demon King explained.

 

 Wukong hummed in acknowledgment, then asked, "If it used its powers, could it also take away my stick?"

 

The Bull Demon King replied, "Are you truly unaware or just teasing me? Your stick has been refined into your life-bound magic weapon. With your status as a Taiyi Golden Immortal, even the Three Pure Ones might not take it away."

 

Wukong learned much from the conversation, realizing why his stick's power had increased significantly. It seemed the "Equal to Heaven stick Technique" could refine his stick into a life-bound magic weapon. He was relieved, feeling fortunate to have combined these two extraordinary items.

 

"I was genuinely unaware of the life-bound magic weapon, please forgive my ignorance," Wukong said. The Bull Demon King explained, "I was wondering. You wouldn't deceive me. Since you're unaware, let me tell you more. A life-bound magic weapon, refined to its limit, is connected to one's primordial spirit.

 

 A primordial spirit can only refine one life-bound magic weapon, and they share each other's fortunes and misfortunes." "If the primordial spirit is injured, the weapon's power diminishes. If the weapon is damaged, the primordial spirit also suffers. Do you understand?" Wukong replied, "Now I understand the profound use of a life-bound magic weapon. Thank you for your guidance, brother."

 

After the Bull Demon King's lengthy explanation about life-bound magic weapons, Wukong realized their power was extraordinary due to their connection with the primordial spirit. It appeared that the Monkey King in Journey to the West might not have learned the "Equal to Heaven stick Technique," thus not refining his stick into a life-bound magic weapon, merely using it as an ordinary weapon.

 

Considering this, Wukong was startled, "When I struck the Yu Monkey King with my stick, he blocked it with just his arms. His abilities must be extraordinary."

 

The Bull Demon King laughed, "From the battlefield, you couldn't see clearly. The sound of metal clashing told me his arm guards are also a rare magic weapon, or even I wouldn't dare to block your stick."

 

Wukong curiously asked, "May I know what magic weapon you use? Could you show it to me?"

 The Bull Demon King replied, "Honestly, I have a few magic weapons, but none worth using. I used the Banana Leaf Fan out of frustration. I haven't refined my life-bound magic weapon yet. If you wish to see, I have no secrets from you."

 

Wukong stepped back, "Brother, having practiced for thousands of years without refining your life-bound magic weapon, it must be extraordinary. Please, show us your magic."

 

The Bull Demon King said, "Not now. When I fight the Yu Monkey King tomorrow, I'll likely use it. You'll know what it is then," sparking Wukong's curiosity further.

 

 That night, the two found a good spot and sat in silence.

 

 

 The next morning, as the sun rose, the Bull Demon King stood up, "Here it comes!" A black cloud rose from the ground, transforming into the Yu Monkey King, who pointed at them, "You disturb my peace, a grave sin. Prepare to die."

 

 The Bull Demon King laughed heartily, "My life is here; who dares to take it?" The two then began to fight. Wukong watched closely, noting the Yu Monkey King's exquisite moves, attacking and defending flawlessly, aiming directly at vital points.

 

 The Yu Monkey King, possibly injured by Wukong the day before, still matched him equally. If he were in perfect condition, Wukong, even unharmed, would be completely at a disadvantage.

 

The Bull Demon King, undeterred by the Yu Monkey King's assault, withstood ten moves, only bothering to block one or two. The sound of the Yu Monkey King's punches on the Bull Demon King's body echoed like popping beans, yet all were absorbed by his formidable physique. Shifting from his usual simple demeanor, the Bull Demon King's gaze turned piercingly serious. Although the Yu Monkey King was much faster, the Bull Demon King continuously sought openings, striking critical points and sending the Yu Monkey King reeling back with each exchange.

 

"Such immense strength, you bovine monster!" exclaimed the Yu Monkey King. The Bull Demon King chuckled, "I haven't even started trying." Disdainfully, the Yu Monkey King retorted, "Boastful!" He then leaped back, chanting incantations.

 

A mountain behind him began to tremble, and from its peak, a bizarrely shaped magical weapon shot into the sky, radiating brilliant light. After circling in the air three times, it flew towards the Yu Monkey King and landed in his hands.

 

Wukong observed closely, noting the weapon was a two-foot diameter ring, its material unknown, filled with countless rotating blades emitting a chilling light. As the Yu Monkey King wielded his power, the ring expanded menacingly.

 

The Bull Demon King squinted at this treasure and drew from within his bosom not the Banana Leaf Fan, but a weapon that was a cross between a solid iron club and a mace. It extended over a meter in length and was as thick as a bowl. "Let's see if your ring is mightier or my club," he laughed.

 

Frustrated, the Yu Monkey King snapped, "You're courting death with your words!" He then unleashed the ring, which instantly enveloped several miles in its grasp, emitting a beam of white light from its center straight towards the Bull Demon King's head. "Capture!" he shouted, and the iron club flew from the Bull Demon King's hands into the ring, vanishing without a trace.

 

Wukong was astonished, the ring's ability to capture weapons reminded him of a similar magical tool he encountered while escaping with the Green Ox from the Old Lord's place. Yet, the Bull Demon King remained calm, hinting he had more tricks up his sleeve, living up to his reputation for capturing magical treasures.

 

Laughing, the Bull Demon King proclaimed, "As expected! But such tricks are of little use against me!" Without resorting to another magical weapon, he revealed his true form: a gigantic white bull, as tall as a mountain, with horns like iron towers and teeth sharp as blades. From head to tail, it stretched over a thousand meters, standing eight hundred meters tall.

 

Looking up to the sky, the white bull bellowed, "Monkey, this is my life-bound magical weapon. What do you think?"

 

Wukong couldn't help but inwardly praise after his initial astonishment. Indeed, the Bull Demon King was formidable. It turned out he had refined his own physical body into a magical treasure. His head was as hard as refined steel, and his two sharp horns shone like a pair of glittering pagodas. The four black hooves struck the ground, causing the earth to tremble and the mountains to shake. Even his tail was as lethal as steel wire.

 

 

Annotations:

 

Life-bound Magic Weapon (本命法宝): A concept from Daoist cultivation practices, referring to a weapon or item that a cultivator has refined and connected to their primordial spirit. This bond means that the weapon and the cultivator share each other's fortunes and misfortunes, making the weapon an extension of the cultivator's power.

 

 

2