Chapter 34 Han FeiZi
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The Bull Demon King was taken aback; he was allowed to leave just like that, which made him think that Zhen YuanZi was surprisingly easy to talk to. In fact, Zhen YuanZi had realized during their previous confrontation that the Bull Demon King was exceptionally skilled in martial arts and extraordinary in Taoist magic, clearly having been guided by a renowned teacher. Without suffering any loss himself, how could he dare to trouble him lightly?

 

However, the Bull Demon King was ungrateful, saying, "If you let me go, you must also let my brother go." Zhen YuanZi shook his head, "Your brother has a cunning look about him, clearly not of good sort. Letting him go would be inviting trouble." Sun Wukong asked, "What else can you do then?" Zhen YuanZi suggested, "I could seal your magical powers and have you do menial tasks for me for a hundred years, how about that?" Neither of them changed their expression.

 

Sun Wukong laughed heartily, "What a boastful claim. Even if you have the ability, I doubt you have the courage." Sun Wukong's bold words stemmed from his knowledge that in "Journey to the West", after he damaged the ginseng fruit tree, Zhen YuanZi did not retaliate but instead tried to win him over, deliberately seeking his friendship. Not knowing the reason, but aware that this person preferred a simple life and disliked conflict, and considering his and the Bull Demon King's significant magical powers, Zhen YuanZi would certainly think of the consequences.

 

Every cultivator has a backing, so Sun Wukong deliberately boasted to intimidate Zhen YuanZi. Zhen YuanZi chuckled, "What background could you, a mere macaque, have?" Sun Wukong thought, as expected, he's feeling guilty, let's scare him a bit. Thus, Sun Wukong said, "The Buddha of the West, the Three Pure Ones, and the Four Emperors are all old friends of mine. The Five Elders and all the celestial stars consider me a brother, what do you say to that?"

 

Zhen YuanZi exclaimed, "What arrogance! Today, I shall test you to see who can best whom." After saying this, Zhen YuanZi performed a hand seal, and Sun Wukong noticed that this hand gesture was quite peculiar, resembling a Buddhist handprint he had seen in a previous life, which intrigued him. This handprint conjured a void lotus flower that floated towards Sun Wukong. Although the lotus seemed formless, it contained infinite mysteries and harbored limitless magical power.

 

He dared not intercept it directly and used a technique to shift and transform his shape, allowing the lotus to pass through his illusory form. Sun Wukong had already moved out of the combat zone, standing atop a wall. Zhen YuanZi was secretly shocked; his lotus was a special move to seal magical powers. It appeared slow but had already locked onto the opponent's soul. Once deployed, it was nearly impossible to escape. He didn't realize that Sun Wukong's Thirty-Six Transformations were the most orthodox transformation techniques.

 

His spell, though powerful, had been passed down through several hands and had lost its original divine power, merely retaining its form. It might be effective against lesser deities but was useless against Sun Wukong. Zhen YuanZi pondered to himself, his magical powers were robust, but only the "Cosmos in the Sleeve" was his most powerful divine ability, capable of trapping but not harming. The ancient scriptures left by that monk included methods to increase magical power and cultivation but few for combat and subduing opponents, leading him to regret not having a method of cultivation.

 

Sun Wukong saw Zhen YuanZi standing there, lost in thought. After a pause, Zhen YuanZi angrily said, "All of you, leave! Now!" Seeing Sun Wukong still standing on the wall, the Bull Demon King quickly pulled him away, leaving the courtyard. The Bull Demon King commented, "What's gotten into this old Taoist today? Last time I came, he trapped me for a long time with his formation, but today he's so agreeable."

 

Sun Wukong laughed, "It must have been my scare." After leaving the Five Elements Mountain, they realized there are always greater powers. Meanwhile, Zhen YuanZi locked himself in his room, feeling extremely depressed. His cultivation was that of a Taiyi Golden Immortal, but when it came to casting spells, he had only a few divine abilities, like a teapot full of dumplings that couldn't pour them out. Recalling the many celestial generals, Arhats, and Bodhisattvas he had met, each possessed countless battle techniques and varied divine powers. Could it be that he really needed to rely on others?

 

It was said that thirty ginseng fruits could refine a Primordial Dao Fruit. If only the Buddha had made it clear, he wouldn't have wasted two. Now, he would have to wait another nine thousand years for a chance. Both the Bull Demon King and Sun Wukong had significant abilities. Without his "Cosmos in the Sleeve" divine power and the extensive formation, he wouldn't stand a chance against them. If he could form some connections with them... but, as a proud Taiyi Golden Immortal, how could he demean himself by associating with demons?

 

Zhen YuanZi thought back and forth in his room, unable to find a way out, then angrily went to the back garden to look at his ginseng fruit tree. Sun Wukong and the Bull Demon King left the Five Elements Mountain, with Sun Wukong thinking to himself that one day he would return to take two ginseng fruits. Riding the clouds, the Bull Demon King said, "This time, the Golden Winged Roc tricked us, this grudge cannot be forgotten."

 

Sun Wukong replied, "Brother, don't rush. Sister-in-law is still worried. It's better to return to the Mountain of Flowers and Fruit to reassure them before seeking revenge." Soon, they arrived at the mountain, where the Rakshasa woman anxiously awaited at the peak. Seeing the Bull Demon King and Sun Wukong safe and sound brought joy to her face. The Bull Demon King landed, and the Rakshasa woman came forward, holding his hands, fussing over him, which made the Bull Demon King somewhat embarrassed.

 

Sun Wukong laughed, "Sister-in-law truly cares for Big Brother, a fortune surely cultivated over many lifetimes." The Bull Demon King replied, "Women's nagging makes you laugh, brother." Sun Wukong said, "Not at all, I'm simply envious."

 

The two brothers returned to the Water Curtain Cave for a joyful feast that night. After the Bull Demon King went back to his own cave to rest, Sun Wukong sat alone in the Water Curtain Cave. Suddenly, he heard a voice: "The Dao, the beginning of all things, is the record of right and wrong..." Sun Wukong felt a surge of excitement. Wasn't this the mysterious person who had preached to him when he first entered the Water Curtain Cave? He listened intently to the discourse, not recognizing the text but hearing, "The Dao is invisible, its application unknowable. In emptiness and stillness, flaws are revealed in darkness. Seen but unseen, heard but unheard, known but unknown. Understand these words from the past, do not change or alter them, and integrate and contemplate them." Sun Wukong suddenly realized that this was a passage from "Han Feizi," a text he had no recollection of except for the phrase "The Dao is invisible, its application unknowable," which he had heard of.

 

Sun Wukong was puzzled as to why this mysterious figure kept preaching to him, listening carefully, he felt that this person was definitely not his master, Subhuti! There was no particular reason, just an inner feeling.

 

This lecture on "Han Feizi" was different from usual, spoken very slowly, taking six hours to finish. In the end, the mysterious person left with the words: "A scroll of 'Han Feizi' adds thirty-six thousand to Fate. It is lamentable, pitiable, and tragic!" Then there was no further sound.

 

Sun Wukong, still immersed in the Dao, was jolted awake by these words, wondering why it was "lamentable, pitiable, and tragic." What did this sentence mean? This person always seemed to bring him Fate without malice. After much pondering, he couldn't decipher it.

 

This time, Sun Wukong truly felt the sensation of Fate entering his heart. This Fate, vastly different from the tens of thousands he obtained from Heaven, was an internal to external nourishment, bringing immense satisfaction and enrichment to his heart. In comparison, the Fate snatched from others felt like dregs.

 

Having received these thirty-six thousand Fate, Sun Wukong could clearly feel his internal Fate divided into factions: one from "Dao De Jing," one from "Xiaoyao You," one from "Guo Xian Yin Guo Jing," one from "Han Feizi," and two more. One side contained all the Fate he had accumulated through cultivation, mixed and uneven, and the other side was strange—a chaotic mass he couldn't clearly identify, like an egg, emitting a nascent aura.

 

Sun Wukong vaguely felt there were levels of purity in Fate, with the Fate given by the preacher being the purest and supreme, except for that chaotic mass, which he couldn't see through.

 

He tried to merge these Fates into one but couldn't find the method, so he had to give up.

 

After sitting quietly on the stone bed for a while, he heard the Bull Demon King's voice from outside: "Brother, come out quickly!" Sun Wukong, curious about the matter, saw the Bull Demon King looking disheartened and covered in dust.

 

Sun Wukong jokingly asked, "Brother, where did you get all this dust, and why haven't you washed it off?" The Bull Demon King replied, "Don't make fun, brother. We should roam the four seas. I can't stand these quiet days for a day longer." Sun Wukong realized it must have something to do with the Rakshasa woman and chose not to inquire further. The Bull Demon King continued, "My cultivation is nourished by battle. If entangled in romantic affections, the virility will be completely drained by the tender land. How can I then focus on cultivation?" Sun Wukong asked, "If so, brother, why did you marry in the first place?" The Bull Demon King's face turned red, and he stuttered without giving a clear reason, so Sun Wukong didn't press further.

 

Annotations:

 

Zhen YuanZi: A Taoist immortal character in "Journey to the West," known for his profound cultivation and magical powers. He is the keeper of the ginseng fruit tree, a rare and precious tree that produces fruits capable of extending life.

 

Bull Demon King: A major demon character in "Journey to the West," known for his immense strength and magical abilities. He is also Sun Wukong's sworn brother.

 

Sun Wukong (Monkey King): A central character in "Journey to the West," known for his incredible strength, magical abilities, and cleverness. He is a disciple of Tang Sanzang on the journey to retrieve Buddhist sutras from the West.

 

Taiyi Golden Immortal: A high level of cultivation in Taoism, signifying immense power and longevity.

 

Ginseng Fruit: A mythical fruit in "Journey to the West" that can extend one's life for thousands of years.

 

 

 

0