Chapter 1: Introductions
90 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

t was fall, and the nearly-full moon hung visible in the clear and dimming sky. Long shadows swept against the forest floor and encroached upon the walls of the Count’s estate. Inside, however, the evening was not so dark nor cold that the dinner guests felt anything other than hospitality. Every rich and noble family of good standing was gathered together this evening, taking advantage of the mild weather and clear, bright night to fête at least once more before the winter weather made it unbearable.

Noel had been looking forward to this dinner party ever since he’d heard that Gaetan St Germain had at last returned from his business in the city to winter in his nearby estate. The man was charming and witty, tall with long legs and a graceful posture, and had honey-brown eyes that caused girls to titter and blush whenever they saw them. Whenever he was around, Noel enjoyed eavesdropping on his conversations and spectating the efforts men and women went to to get a chance to talk to him. His presence and time were made all the more valuable because he lived in the city almost half the year in order to manage the extensive network of businesses his father left him. Of course, the wealth those businesses generated also added to his charm.

Noel, however, was not enjoying the evening as much as he’d hoped. He picked at his food, seated at the wrong end of the table to see Gaetan clearly. No matter how he leaned or turned, Noel was stuck watching the top of his blond hair above the heads of the shorter guests, occasionally getting a brief glimpse of his profile if he bent over his plate. Noel couldn’t hear Gaetan either, but whatever he was saying was getting passed around the table.

“What? She’s his wife?” An older lady beside Noel sounded scandalized.

“That’s what they’re saying. Met this summer, married before fall, and now he’s brought her back.”

“She’s from the city. Pretty. Family name is Corriveau.”

“Never heard of it.”

Noel didn’t like the sound of this. Gaetan’s father had moved into the region when his health turned bad several years ago. Gaetan had relocated with him, and no one had heard anything about his love life in the years since. However, after the elder St Germain passed away, the man told everyone he intended to keep the estate, so people had naturally assumed he was looking to marry into the community. It was a little upsetting to find out that he’d gone and married when no one was looking.

This sudden wife wasn’t visible from Noel’s position at the table; he could only stew in frustration as the gossip swirled around him. He had to wait for the dancing to get a look at her. After supper, everyone filtered into the dance hall, where the twinkling light from the wall sconces and the chandelier highlighted the fine dress on display. All the men were bedecked in ruffles and all the ladies were ensconced in ornate skirts. Dancers paired up in the centre of the room while people chatted by the walls, as a string quartet played in the corner.

Noel stood quietly by the emptiest patch of wall. His clothes and the glass in his hand made him look festive enough at a glance, but his demeanor was more like a cat watching birds than a partygoer. He could finally see the mysterious wife as she stood beside Gaetan. She seemed rather his opposite, in a vibrant purple dress next to his soft grey suit. She was petite and had black hair and large black eyes that reminded Noel of certain prey animals. Her gestures and expressions were sharp, and Noel found her voice annoying even from a distance. He adjusted his cravat and watched from a few feet away as his older brother and sister-in-law approached them. His brother gave Gaetan his usual warm greeting, the kind that he gave to all of his many friends, and Gaetan introduced them to his new wife.

Noel heard him say, “Madelaine, this is Count Alcide Frontenac, our host’s heir, and his wife, Manon. The Frontenac family oversee this area, and they were very gracious to my father and I when we moved here. Alcide, this is my new wife, I hope you’ll welcome her the same way you welcomed me.”

Noel knew his older brother would, even if everyone else treated this new wife with skepticism. Alcide was kind and gregarious, which made his outgoing charisma easier to swallow. He would definitely not be concerned about where she came from or what caused them to get married in such a hurry. Instead, he would treat her with exactly the same warm decorum he treated all of his friend’s wives and daughters. Noel couldn’t help but feel a little sour as he stood to the side and watched them talk for a few minutes. Even if Alcide and Gaetan saw each other only a few times a year, they could still act so familiar with each other, leaning in when the other spoke and clapping each other on the arm in congratulations.

“Noel!” Alcide suddenly said.

Noel snapped to attention when his brother swiveled around on him.

“Don’t just stand there, get over here, come meet this evening’s leading lady.”

Singled out and unable to reject Alcide’s encouragement, Noel moved forward until he was standing by his brother’s side. Of the two of them, he knew he was the smaller, less interesting, and less generous brother. He wasn’t thrilled to be within range of Madelaine’s shrill voice, for instance, or directly in front of Gaetan’s honey-brown eyes. Nevertheless, he smiled politely. As a noble son, he could still manage that much.

Alcide clapped him on the back and introduced him, “This is the little Vicomte, my younger brother Noel. He’s shy and likes to fade into the background.”

“Good evening, nice to meet you,” Noel said, meeting Madelaine’s inquisitive gaze.

The Madame St Germain quickly looked him up and down as if appraising livestock, a behaviour Noel noticed but politely ignored. She smiled a toothy smile and curtseyed. “Enchantée. I’m so looking forward to my future here!” After a considered pause she cocked her head and added, “And is the lovely little Vicomte alone this evening? It seems it shouldn’t be so.”

Noel’s face turned red at her implication, and Alcide laughed, answering for him, “Don’t tease him too much. He’s more interested in bucks than girls this time of year.”

Noel wasn’t particularly inclined towards girls at any time of year. He preferred to be at the sides of a room than the centre, and, unlike Gaetan, he could never figure out how to act in front of ladies who wanted to talk about romance and sweethearts. It was better to be in the stables, or better yet the forest, where he was the watcher instead of the one being watched.

As the conversation lulled, Alcide’s wife Manon seemed to take pity on Noel. She told Madelaine, “Noel is a very accomplished hunter. He won the fall tournament again a few weeks ago.”

“Again!” Gaetan said, raising his eyebrows in polite surprise.

Noel kept his head down while he waited for his blush to fade, afraid he would stammer if he tried to speak.

“His streak remains unbroken,” Alcide clapped Noel on the back again, “every year now since he started competing. He’s got plans for some more hunts, too.”

Noel found his voice and began to speak, “You could—"

“How marvelous!” Madelaine interjected, having made some esoteric calculation, “Men are always at their most handsome surrounded by dogs, horses, and guns.” She snaked her arms around Gaetan’s bicep and squeezed emphatically, although it was Noel she was looking at.

Noel and Gaetan both looked at her in surprise. Gaetan never went hunting, claiming all horses hated him. It seemed odd to Noel that Madelaine would be so enthusiastic when her new husband was so reticent.

“—Come, if you like,” Noel finished his sentence. He looked to Gaetan, almost regretting his offer. Now it sounded as if he was only suggesting it because Madelaine had asked.

“Well, horses still don’t like me, and my aim hasn’t gotten any better, but aside from that, I’d be happy to go,” Gaetan patted Madelaine’s arm as he replied, but he looked directly at Noel. He wore a little half-smile, and Noel wasn’t sure if he was apologizing for his wife’s enthusiasm or the lack of his own.

Noel consoled himself that getting Gaetan to come on a hunt would be a bigger accomplishment to the nobles surrounding them in the hall than anything he was likely to catch. “It’s just for fun, so don’t worry too much about it,” he said.

“Thank you so very much for your invitation, Vicomte,” Madelaine added, crinkling her animal-like eyes slightly.

Noel found her statement to be entirely superfluous. He ignored her accented use of his title and her odd little look, and was saved from having to reply at the last second.

“There you all are!” Another voice broke into their circle.

Noel turned around to see his father and step-father approaching them. No two men were dressed as finely this evening. They had matching rubies pinned to their cravats and were wearing suits of imported silk, elabourately patterned, although his step-father’s suit was tailored in a more restrained fashion.

Noel’s mother had died when he was too young to remember her. The Count hadn’t wanted to leave them lacking in parents, but he also hadn’t wanted any more sons. Noel’s step-father, on the other hand, was the youngest son of many, and so stood to inherit nothing from his noble family. Such a match was considered acceptable under the circumstances, and Noel had grown up with a step-father who took him to shoot and ride horses while Alcide had learned to manage the land with their father.

Outside the household, Count Frontenac and his husband were well-known for their tacit coordination in all things, from clothing to investments to parties. After finishing their obligations as hosts, they had come over to introduce themselves to Gaetan’s new wife.

Madelaine made eye contact with the jewels at their necks as they introduced themselves. “Enchantée,” she smiled and offered again with oily smooth politeness, “your hospitality is impeccable, your sons are strong and handsome, and I am so looking forward to my new life here.”

Noel tuned her out and stood silently by his brother’s side as the conversation moved on. Madelaine and his parents exchanged flattering inanities for several minutes without revealing anything interesting or insightful about her, except that she was a good sweet-talker. When the conversation started to go in circles, Gaetan peeled her away to make other introductions.

“Well she’s certainly a surprise, isn’t she?” Noel’s step-father noted, watching the couple walk off.

“Well she’s certainly a surprise,” Manon added, looking around. Like Noel, she’d noticed the attention Madelaine had garnered. “We’re going to have to do our best to make her feel welcome.”

3