Deliveries
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When they arrived at the village there was no sign of Jaroh and the players, nor of a jailor willing to keep two elementalist under lock and key until someone could come for them. They spent the night, then headed towards Pramas, a large city to the north. The trip was uneventful.

So were the conversations.

Whatever camaraderie had grown between Ezo and Kammon was muted now. Since Ezo’s words about healing, Kammon was distant and kept to himself. They took turns driving the wagon or walking beside it. They ate their meals in silence. Ezo would take pleasure in the fact that Ember had flown at his side and landed next to him multiple times, but Kammon scowled whenever it happened.

They reached the city in the late morning.

“How big is this place?” Ezo asked as he stared up at the enclosed city.

“Not as big as they pretend it is.” Kammon pointed to the wall. “Pramas wanted to be one of the greater cities of Distria, but it never realized its ambitions. They built the wall around Pramas, but it isn’t near the borders. There was never any chance of enemy attacks. It became a center for trade, but it could never rival the central markets. The people here don’t seem to know that though,” he warned.

“Are they dangerous?”

“Pretentious, and quick to anger. But no more dangerous than any other.” Kammon jumped onto the wagon seat and took the reins from Ezo.  “Just stay close.”

The walls were twelve feet high, but there was no one manning them. They drove through and no one questioned what they wanted or why they were there. Kammon seemed to know where he was headed because he drove the wagon without hesitation, until he finally pulled it to a stop in front of a plain stone building. Ezo waited with the wagon as Kammon went inside. He wasn’t gone long before he came out with three men. They didn’t say anything to Ezo, but he heard them open the back of the wagon. They carried one of the raiders in and two other men came out to carry the last one. When Kammon joined him back at the front of the wagon he took the reins again and pulled away from the building.

“That’s a job well done. Now we should be able to find a decent bed for tonight and some good food. Tomorrow we’ll head out to find your friends.”

It was the most Kammon had said to him in two days. Ezo wanted to ask what had changed the man’s humors, but it wasn’t the time. “How do you know they aren’t here?” Ezo asked.

“The jailors hadn’t heard of them. If they were in the city they would have known. We can ask around today though, once we find a place to stable this monstrosity,” he said with an affectionate pat to the wagon.

They found a tavern with a stable that would hold the wagon and Kammon paid for two rooms. Once they had set their belongings down, they went down to the main room to find food. Lunch was roast beef and peas with a fresh loaf of bread. The cheese was too mild for his tastes, but the ale was good. As much as Ezo wanted to ask Kammon about the city and what their next step was, he was aware of the eyes of the other patrons upon them.

“Don’t mind them,” Kammon said without looking up from his plate.  “They know who I am. What I am.”

“A good man?”

Kammon looked up at that with a snort. “A danger.”

There was something in Kammon’s voice that Ezo didn’t like. Resignation. Like he had grown so accustomed to people’s unfounded fears that he had just accepted them. “And what does that make me?”

“Stupid. Ignorant. A thrill seeker or maybe a braggart.”

“Just shows they don’t know a thing. I guess I won’t pay attention to what they think they know, after all.”

Kammon watched him for a moment longer before he lowered his head and returned to his food. There was a small quirk at the corner of his lips though and Ezo decided to take that as a win.

They were just finishing up their meal when three men came into the common room of the tavern. They were dressed in fine cloth even if it was plainly worn. Probably some noble’s retainers. He ignored them as he finished the last of his ale. When he looked at Kammon the man was scowling at something over Ezo’s shoulder. When he looked back, the retainers were looking at him and coming his way.

“Good sirs,” the man said as he reached their table. “The eques requests the pleasure of your company for dinner this evening.”

“Why would he want that?” Ezo asked.

Kammon kicked him hard under the table and Ezo yelped, but the retainers didn’t seem to notice as Kammon stood up and spoke. “We are honored by the request and humbly accept.” He gave a slight bow that Ezo thought was really too much, but the retainer smiled before he handed a letter to Kammon. He walked out then, with the two silent retainers trailing behind him.

“Why’d you kick me?”

“Did Jacob teach you anything about the world?” He didn’t wait for an answer as he opened the letter. “We are in a fortified city. When the eques requests your attendance, it is a politely worded order. But still an order.”

Ezo rolled his eyes as he leaned forward to see what the letter said.  Kammon shook his head and tossed it to Ezo. “It appears the eques is looking for elementalists to put on retainer.”

“I thought they didn’t like you?”

Kammon gave him a sharp smile, but there was nothing warm or friendly about it. “They don’t, but if they can put me on their leash, then everyone will fear them.”

“You know the eques?”

“He is eques by birthright. Unlike the elder generation or some of his more honorable contemporaries who earned the title through war and battle, he has lived his life safely surrounded by these walls without a day in the trenches.”

“You don’t seem to like the eques very much either.”

“I came to Pramas soon after I became Disavowed. The nobles spread the word quickly. My skill set, untethered from the military ranks, made them nervous.” He took a long drink from his ale and dropped the mug onto the table. “And I was not in the mood to make anyone comfortable when I arrived here.”

“Then why are we going to this dinner tonight? You don’t think they’d try to keep us against our will?”

Kammon leaned forward and a smile - a truly mischievous smile - appeared on his face. “Do you really think these walls, even with his best men, could keep you and I out if we combined strength?”

Ezo thought of what he could do to that wall on his own, and what they could do if they were bound at the moment, and he smiled back at Kammon. “No, I’m not sure there is any wall in Distria that could.”

Kammon nodded as he sat back. “So we’ll go have some very fine food, be entertained by the eques, and see what he has to offer.”

“Is there anything that he could offer, that would make you stay?” Ezo asked.

“No, but I don’t think they’ll be making a true offer to me. If I had come alone, I doubt they would have reached out at all. It will be you that they tempt.”

Ezo shook his head. “I set my mind to travel the world and I have not done near enough. I have no desire to stay behind walls.”

“Just wait to see what they have to offer you, Ezo. Many elementalists make a fine life in a place like this.”

There was no judgment in Kammon, though Ezo knew the other man would never accept such an invitation himself. “I guess it’s a good thing I came here with you then. If they make me an offer you can let me know if it’s a good one or not.”

“Is there anything they could offer you to make you stay?” Kammon repeated his question back to him.

Ezo shook his head. “No, but at least I’ll have a full belly before they realize it.”

Kammon seems ruffle feathers a lot. I'm interested to see what happens with the eques. Who do you think is more likely to get in trouble tonight? Kammon or Ezo?

1