Identity
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Keep moving!” Alex yelled out to the hoards of juniors crowding the corridors.
He turned back towards Byron and Jasmine as they followed him. weaving their way through the students, following Alex’s lead.
Byron started talking again once the two had caught up with Alex, “Anyway, as I was saying, I'm actually kinda happy with what we did. We might actually have a shot at winning!”
“We’ll see. Let’s not get our hopes too high,” Alex replied.
“Ah whatever, we’ve got this! Anyway, I’ll see you later,” Byron broke away from the trio, making his way into his class.
“See ya,” Jasmine and Alex waved.
The corridors were a lot less crowded now that everyone had split off into their classes.
Alex groaned,  “Math. Math last on a Monday. Every Monday. Why.””
“Hey at least we’re starting a new topic, algebra was gonna be the death of me! Anyway I’ll see you later” Jasmine said as they began to head off to their classroom.
“Yeah,” Alex smiled. “See ya Jas,”.

As Alex approached his class, the only thing outside was a messy row of bags against the wall ‘Crap, class has already started’ he thought. He quickly reached into his bag, pulling out his book and pencil case, then hurriedly chucked his bag against the brick wall and entered the room. He looked around for his friends. He spotted Jack and Archie but there weren’t any free seats around them.
“Alex Jensen, better late than never,” his teacher commented, not even turning around.
‘I’m FIVE minutes late.’ he thought, frustrated. “Sorry Sir.”
Alex began making his way to the first free seat he spotted, right up at the front of the classroom.
“Oi Alex!”.
He recognised the voice almost instantly.
Felix. The ‘friend’ who only yesterday decided to turn Alex’s coming out into some psychological study, much rather than supporting him like everyone else had.
Alex turned to see a free seat up the back next to him. ‘Well, it’s better than the front?’ he thought to himself, reluctantly turning and moving towards Felix.
“Alexialll!” said Felix as Alex began to sit down.
“Hellooo.” 
“You weren’t at the science meeting? Archie went looking for you,” Felix chatted.
“Oh yeah no I uhhhh changed my mind, I don’t wanna do it anymore,” replied Alex. “Changed my mind.”
“Why? Is it because Sam isn’t doing it anymore? You don’t want to do it with Archie and I?” Felix asked.
There it was. Ever since Alex and Sam had moved away from the old group and began hanging out with Byron and Jasmine, Felix had been making all these comments about it. “Oh, you're ditching us for them”, “Don’t you trust us anymore”, “Are we not your friends now?”. Alex was sick of it. It didn’t help that this was now coming from the man who had just, as Jasmine had put it, ‘interrogated him’, after coming out. The same man, who asked him personal question after personal question. He’d made it seem like hanging out with Jasmine and Byron had forced him to change his sexuality. “Do you think hanging out with Byron and Jasmine influenced you into choosing to represent your identity through a flag?”. Alex was furious after it happened. Not only did Felix question Alex’s identity, but he practically blamed Byron and Jasmine for causing Alex to make that choice.
“No, believe me I'd love to do it with you both but I just got too much other stuff going on,” Alex lied, only a slight hint of sarcasm in his tone.
“Doing what?” asked Felix.
“Doesn’t matter. None ya business” Alex replied sharply, annoyed Felix wouldn’t drop it
“Too busy with Byron? Jasmine?” Felix continued. “You really are ditching us aren’t you?”
“Just drop it, I don’t want to do it and that's that” Alex snapped.
“Quiet down! I get you’ve all just come from break but it’s time to settle now," the teacher spoke to the class.
“Someones angry today…” Felix whispered under his breath.

Alex had been staring blankly at the questions before him for a while now. A few of the girls in front of him were talking amongst themselves, however Alex reckoned most of the class could hear them.
“That new English teacher sucks!” Tilly exclaimed.
“Wait, which teacher is it?” Felix asked, dropping his pen and calculator, turning his attention towards the girls.
“Ms Fraser” Tilly replied, turning in her seat to face them both. “She’s so rude.”
“I have her as my teacher,” Skye chimed in. “Someone brought up pride month and she started saying some homophobic stuff”
“Oh Alex isn’t going to like that,” Felix stated.
Alex’s heart stopped. The next few seconds felt as though they were like an eternity. He felt so many things at once in that moment. Angry, sad, betrayed even. He couldn’t describe the thoughts going through his mind, so many racing by in such a short time. Alex looked up at everyone.
“Hm? Someone say my name?” he asked, his mind still racing, this time only to think of an excuse for why Felix just made that comment.
“The new English teacher. Skye says she’s homophobic,” Felix recited what Skye had said.
“Oh that sucks but… why my name?” Alex was struggling to think of something.
“Felix said ‘Oh, Alex won’t like that’,” Skye explained.
“What's it got to do with me?” Alex laughed confusingly. He wasn’t confused. He was worried.
“Well, you're Bisexual.”

Alex died inside. He wanted to cry. He wanted to pull Felix out of his seat and kick the shit out of him. Everyone turned to Felix and Alex. It felt like the entire world was watching. Some people looked away, sorry for Alex, while others just stared. Alex figured they probably weren’t hating him, but he still hadn’t wanted everyone to know. It was big to him. That’s why he had only told a tight circle of friends. He knew it was probably leading to this the second Felix had opened his mouth but it still hit him like a train. Nothing was holding Alex back. Felix was right there. He could take all his anger out on him. His friends would understand, probably, but was Felix really worth it? Alex began packing away all of his stuff into his bag, not looking at anyone.
“Where are you going?” Felix asked.
Alex threw his palms onto his desk, leant right up to Felix, and let out the only two words he knew were sincere at that moment.
“Fuck. You.”
Tears began to well in Alex’s eyes but he held them back. Felix had been his friend. Someone he trusted.
“Alex, are you ok?” The teacher asked.
Alex shook his head, taking one last look at Felix before turning and walking out of class.

0