Chapter 16: Walking in the Darkness and Discovering the Underworld
133 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Several weeks have passed since "the accident" occurred. The police found the culprit a week later, but the culprit had "committed suicide" according to the evidence found around his corpse. There were signs of suicide and a note stating that he was drunk that day, that everything was an accident, and that guilt would not leave him in peace, so he decided to end his life. But I knew the truth.

I took advantage of the following nights while everyone was asleep to sneak out for several hours, and using my abilities to the fullest, I wandered the city searching for the Nightmare Gang. Finding them was not so difficult; with my [Nine Eyes] and Observational Skills, I can see things like affiliations or aliases, and thanks to that, I observed all the suspicious people I encountered and thus saw criminals and gang members from different groups.

It took me a few days to find one from the Nightmare Gang, but when I did, I did not miss the opportunity to ambush and interrogate him. I can't say I am proud or that I enjoyed having to commit such savage acts as torture and murder, but since I was reborn in this world, I already knew what kind of world it is, and being kind to an enemy is just being cruel to myself and my family, what happened to my uncle and auntie is proof of that.

After finding out everything I could about the gang and its important members, I dedicated the following nights to hunting and exterminating them. Originally, I planned to gather criminal evidence and hand them over to the authorities, but in the end, that only applied to some of them; I couldn't forgive the others, the acts they committed do not make them worthy of being called humans.

The things I learned and saw will stay with me for life, thanks to that I understood that reading about the scum and trash of society committing atrocious acts and seeing them do it is different, and it matters not if you read thousands of those acts, it does not even compare to witnessing just one. Nor is it as if I saw them commit their atrocities and stood still, no, the moment I arrived and saw, I began to act.

I do not consider myself a hero who will spend his full-time efforts to save everyone, but if there is someone in front of me and I can help them, I will. I also will not forgive the life of any scum who commits acts so atrocious that they cross the line that separates humanity from bestiality.

While I was eliminating them, I gathered clues to put those who were still human in jail, and I also found out why they ordered the death of my uncle and aunt. In reality, it was not the gang who wanted them dead, but a coworker of my uncles, because they and their coworker were among the best employees of their company, and soon the manager would retire, and his position would be available to any of the three.

But their coworker did not have the confidence to win the position, so he looked for the easy way out and sought assassins to eliminate the competition, and that is how he came to hire the gang.

For that reason, no matter what method I thought of to try to keep my uncle auntie safe, they were always in danger. The reason is that the assassins would seek to kill them wherever they went, since they had been paid for it and had been given their personal information. 

Perhaps if I had thought to send them away from the city safely, that would have changed the Yellow color of Required Attention, or if I had eliminated the gang members and my uncles' coworker before they attacked, but now it's too late. At that time, I didn't think it was an attempt at murder because living happily in my new life with my family had made me forget that this world is not at all civilized like the one I come from.

The only thing this left me with was the lesson that the darkness, evil, and greed of this world extend further than one can see, and that I have to think in a much more flexible and extended way to better use the [Nine Eyes].

All this also makes me reflect more and more on the message from my future self. Perhaps in part, all this was also part of the message, but I was not able to unravel it. With the message being so unexplanatory, it is hard to say. Maybe the reason why my future selves did not tell me what happened to my uncle and auntie is because this is an experience they considered I needed to live through in order to mature and improve.

And so, my last nocturnal act during the first week of sneaking out was to take care of the "suicide" of the bastard who crashed his car into my uncles'.

I could not completely hide my nightly escapades. One day, mom got up at midnight to check if Seonhwa and Seunghae were okay, and since they had stayed to sleep with me, it was inevitable that she discovered I wasn't lying in bed, and she searched the whole house and realized I was nowhere to be found.

Luckily, thanks to the trust I've earned, she believed me when I told her I went for a walk around the neighborhood because I felt restless, and she just told me I should not go out at night, that it was dangerous, but she didn't scold me nor punish me.

For that reason, I stopped sneaking out at night. If I kept doing it and mom realized, it would only make her worry, and I don't want that, nor is it necessary.

The only loose end I had left was my uncles' coworker, but when I handed over all the evidence of the gang, I also handed over the one that connects him with them, and a week ago he was arrested.

Since the guy who "committed suicide" was only an aspirant to the gang and couldn't pass the test, they could not link him to the case, and it was always believed that "the accident" was a coincidence and it was not investigated further.

While I would have liked to finish off my uncles' former coworker, I did not have the opportunity, and I left it to the authorities for the moment. He will be in prison for 15 years for conspiracy to commit murder, since what happened to my uncle and aunt is considered an accident and according to the police, the attack had not yet been carried out. The fact that the plan existed and only lacked execution was evidence enough to sentence him to 15 years in prison. Since the matter is no longer in my hands, I let the authority take charge, but I will always keep an eye on the guy, and when he gets out of prison, I will visit him and act accordingly.

Lately, I have been thinking and reflecting over and over again about the message from my future self lll, and I have come to the conclusion that I will need a lot of extra help. I will need to gather not only my forces in Lost Paradise but also on Earth, and I have to gather my forces on earth before going to Lost Paradise, so that what happened to my uncle and auntie does not happen again. 

I also understood that the forces I gather must not belong to the just side of the world. According to the message, "... the brighter the light, the greater the shadow it casts. And without eliminating the light, you cannot eliminate the shadow." 

I thought about it a lot and realized that my light is my family and loved ones. The more successful they are, the happier they are, the brighter they will be.

And that will cause more darkness, and uncontrolled darkness will try to extinguish the light as it happened with my uncle and auntie. Now with the new technology, my parents are becoming more successful, and I fear that the darkness will try to attack again.

So I concluded that if I cannot eliminate the darkness without eliminating the light, that does not mean I can't join the darkness and rule it. If I govern it, it will never point its fangs at the light.

Apart from the events with the gang, the other things that have happened over these 3 weeks are that aunt Seonmi, for some reason, has not yet woken up. The doctors are worried that the anesthesia may have caused some negative effect and she is in a coma for an indefinite time.

As for my uncle, his situation remains almost the same, the doctors say he is improving but at a very slow pace. This only makes me realize that I was very stupid to ask for an ability that only serves to heal myself, I should have asked for one that could heal others as well. I have been trying to develop such an ability to try to heal my uncles but it has been useless. The most I can achieve is to maintain the stability of a body by spending large amounts of mana, same as when I prevented them from dying while the ambulances were on their way, but I cannot heal any wound, however minor it may be. I tried everything I could think of to make healing work on others but I came to a conclusion after many tests, and that is, to heal others requires having a very, very high control over mana and unfortunately my control is not high enough for that.

I even tried to heal a very minor wound on myself using mana without using my [Self-Healing] ability and it was useless even though I can control my mana much more easily in my own body than in others. With that, I concluded that if my mana control is not enough to heal even a minor wound on myself then it would be impossible to use my mana to heal others until I improve my mana control.

Apparently, the [Self-Healing] ability works by ignoring the mana control requirement and yet it does not ignore it completely. If it did, then I could heal myself instantly no matter the damage as long as I have mana, but that is not the case. My [Self-Healing] ability is in development and develops as I use it, and apparently, as I increase my mana control aswell. 

With the time my uncle and aunt have spent in the hospital, if it had been before selling the program I made, by now my parents would already be in debt to pay for the medical expenses. Fortunately, with the sale of the program, we are not having financial problems, and on the contrary, my parents are making money, and my father is even gaining fame because he has the rights and recognition for being the creator of the program.

There have even been large companies that tried to buy the rights to the program from my father for large sums of money, but before making any deal with them, he talks to me and I told him not to do it, that soon we would move to phase 2 where we will make millions. And my father decided to wait for my next instruction.

After the dark affairs and the business, now it's the girls. Seonhwa and Seunghae are devastated, they cry every night and when they finally fall asleep, they usually have nightmares. The most affected is Seunghae who is very small and is super close to their parents, she slept with them every night. After the first week, we could no longer tell her that the uncles were on a work trip and we had to tell her as gently as possible that they were sick and in the hospital, since then it has been difficult to get her to sleep or eat. Fortunately, aunt is allowed to have visitors and we have been able to see her and that has improved the girls' spirits a bit, but uncle, while he is in the ICU is not allowed visitors. Seonhwa, who is older, understands more and now with the passage of time and seeing that aunt is not waking up and that no one is allowed to even visit uncle Jung, she fears the worst and gets sadder every day.

It is up to me every night to comfort and distract them to sleep, but they still tend to cry quite a bit even when asleep. Luckily I can rest enough to be in full performance with just 3 hours of sleep daily, because if not, I would be like a zombie at this point. 

10