Chapter I
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hurry up Jim, we're running late!» 

«Give me a minute Sam, I'll be out now» 

«Believe me brother, I don't choose the time. The funeral's over now, and you can't tie that fucking tie.» 

«So maybe you will help me instead of chatter?» 

Sam confidently approached his friend, with a few deft movements of his hand he tied his tie and straightened his suit, which made Jim look very formal. 

«Do you think it was because of Tom? I honestly don't want to believe it.» asked Jim sadly. 

«Very vain, and I think that's why she did it,» said Sam indifferently, «at some point, they all stop realizing that you have to think before you do anything.» 

«Shut it up Sam, she's dead, you don't need to talk like that» 

«Why? Will she be upset?» 

Apparently, Sam's carelessness was really over the top. Jim often thought that he wanted to be like his friend, but he couldn't be like Sam. Although both of them had grown up together, looking at them, it was impossible to imagine that they were best friends. They were so different. Sometimes it was even annoying. Why couldn't Sam, like the others, be sad for Jess, angry that such a thing had happened, after all, she was their classmate. But Sam didn't seem to care. Two days ago, when they found out about what happened, everyone in the college was in shock, everyone was trying to understand the reason, some blamed them for teasing Jessie, others blamed Tom for sharing the video, except Sam. It seemed to him that the dying person was a stranger from the next state. 

«Suppose they derided her, suppose they stopped communicating with her. And what. After all, it was her choice to be with Tom. She didn't know who he was or she fell in love so much that she forgot? In any case, Tom had not raped her, she had done it of her own free will, and she should have been prepared for the consequences. That's what smart people do. And Jess was a fool. She was a fool because she put the opinion of a few fools more than her life.» 

«Stop it Sam, not all people are the same.» 

«Honestly, it's completely one for me what Jessica was like. I even learned her name when she was already dead. And now I have to go to her funeral. Not to mention the misery we have to endure because of all this.» 

In the past two weeks, Jesse was the third student to commit suicide. The college had decided to provide psychological support to teenagers, and several additional courses would be held on that topic. And to say the least, it made Sam nervous. 

«We're done, let's finish all this soon,» Sam hurried for the last time. 

«Yes, it's about time.» 

Moving forward, Jim got into Sam's father's car, which had been entrusted to Sam for the day. 

«I hate funerals,» muttered Sam, starting the engine. 

 

                                                 *** 

          The atmosphere there was really tough. A teenager had died, committing suicide. It was as if everyone had died with her. Mrs. Davis had aged noticeably in a matter of days. Her eyes were completely red, but she wasn’t crying. It seemed that the tears had already run out. Only the people sitting very close to her could hear how she, as if in her mind, constantly repeated.  

“It was me, she did it because of me.”  

The poor woman blamed herself. Jess could still tolerate the bad attitude of her classmates, but her mother also turned her back on her. “If I just hugged her and told her how much I loved her and how unimportant the rest was…” thought Mrs. Davis, and maybe she was right.  

Jesse’s classmates were also there. I wonder what they feel. This was the first thing that crossed Sam’s mind. But the answer was more than clear. None of them mourned for Jess. They were here because it was necessary. And after the funeral, they will live as if nothing happened, sleep with each other, smoke their marijuana, hurt each other, fight with each other, then sleep again… All this was disgusting. Sam found Jim with his eyes and approached him unnoticed.

 

“The coffin is closed,” Jim whispered, as if he was telling a secret.  

“Well, of course, she was completely shattered.” Sam’s carefree tone put Jim at ease a little.  

“Listen, who is the girl who stood apart from everyone else?”  

Jim looked in the direction Sam pointed. A middle-aged girl in black was standing a little far from her fellow students with a thoughtful look. Her black hair fell over her shoulders, giving her a slightly disheveled appearance.  

“Are you serious, Sam?” Jim said in surprise. “Brother, you’ve been attending that college for two years, I think it’s time for you to start getting to know your fellow students. She’s Annie. She’s a bit strange, but she’s a good girl.”  

Sam listened rather indifferently to Jim’s story, his attention being drawn to a vase on the dresser right next to Ann. A very ordinary vase, except that there was an unusual flower. The rose was completely black. Sam turned his steps towards the rose. It was not like those flowers that get different colors through artificial crossbreeding and similar biological experiments. In the vase was a wild rose, a completely natural phenomenon, with a dark black cocoon opening at the top of its prickly stem. The rose was beautiful, but Sam did not enjoy looking at it. It was more like a feeling of anxiety and worry.  

“Jess found it.” Samantha, Jess’s aunt, was standing behind Sam. It was seen that she understood what the boy was interested in. “A few days ago, but she liked it a lot. She even planted a separate vase for her.”  

“And may I ask, where is it from? I have never met such a flower before.”  

“I didn’t even ask her. It seems to me that you can find such a rose at any florist.”  

Maybe. Sam was not an expert in flowers, and it seemed very strange to him that he had become interested in such matters. But it seemed that the black rose was not only attracted to him. Annie had come close to it too. The girl had a searching and attentive look, as if she could see what was inside the flower.  

Sam looked at the girl once more. She looked very agitated, her face was completely white and her hands started to tremble. Sam walked over to her to ask if Annie was okay, but didn’t make it. The girl’s legs did not obey her, the pupils of her eyes disappeared and the girl fell to the ground unconscious.  

Of course, people immediately rushed to help. Annie regained consciousness with some difficulty, and when Mrs. Taylor, the college nurse, asked why Annie felt sick, the girl explained that she was having a hard time with the funeral.  

Mrs. Smantha was looking at the broken vase. Falling, Annie hit the dresser and the vase was broken on the ground. Noticing this, the girl quickly picked up the rose from the ground, and after a thousand apologies, promised to make a new vase for the flower.   

“No need for an apology my dear, just return it, anything associated with Jess is a reminder of her.” 

“Of course, of course, I will do everything tomorrow,” Annie promised, not noticing that the thick thorns of the rose pierced her fingers several times, and a few drops of blood slipped on her thin hand. 

                   

                                        *** 

It was already evening when Annie went out into the street and walked home. Their house was only a few blocks away, so she decided to walk. I wonder why that happened. Annie had never complained about her health before, and funerals had never affected her in this way. In any case, Jess’s death was a tragedy that would have had consequences for everyone. Annie had never been close to her, and when everyone started teasing and insulting her, Annie began to feel even more sorry for the girl. 

What happened was what happened. Now all Annie was thinking about was getting home early and having a cup of hot tea. The sun had already fully set, but the weather was pleasantly warm. A few more streets and she would be at home.

 

Annie looked at the rose. It looked very mysterious, and the longer she looked at the flower, the more she became sad. Why? She didn’t understand it herself, but the black rose had a strange effect on her. 

The poplar trees lined the length of the road began to creak strangely. 

Annie looked at them, but everything seemed fine to her. 

“Maybe it’s the wind.” 

However, looking ahead, Annie noticed a young man who was leaning against a tree and seemed to be waiting for the girl. Annie paused uneasily. The girl could have sworn there was no one there just a minute ago. It was not possible to change the road from that place, so she had to go ahead. And then, maybe there was nothing to be afraid of, and everything was the result of her imagination. Annie continued her steps, caught up with the stranger and overtook him. “I knew that, there was no need to worry,” she thought, but suddenly she heard the young man say from behind her. 

“Will you stop? I won’t take much time.” 

Annie picked up her pace, of course she wasn’t going to stop. 

“ANNIE!” 

The girl turned around in surprise, who was he and how did he know his name? 

“Excuse me, do we know each other?” asked the girl with a trembling voice. 

“Of course not, but you can always correct that mistake,” the young man approached Annie. 

“I’m Henry, sorry to bother you, but I have a little business with you.” 

Annie looked at him. The black-haired young man was looking at the girl with his penetrating eyes. His neat, clean-shaven face and green eyes gave him a sympathetic look. The young man was wearing a long black leather coat, which looked like a cloak. Looking at him, Annie felt only anxiety. 

“What business?” the girl whispered in a barely audible voice. 

“You have something to return.” 

“I don’t know what you are talking about. I’m in a hurry.” Annie wanted only one thing. Get home soon. 

“Then let me explain” – the young man’s fingers slid over Annie’s cheek, straightening her hair. “Is there a flower with you?” 

Annie instinctively tried to hide the flower with her hands. 

“It’s not mine, I’ll return it to Mrs. Davis tomorrow.” This is her daughter, Jess…” 

“No my dear, it wasn’t Jessica’s, more precisely, it’s not hers anymore. Now the rose has connected with you, the flower is yours.” 

“I didn’t understand, so what do you want from me?” 

“Oh, you thought I wanted the flower,” smiled the stranger. “No, I don’t need it, I just need your soul.” 

It’s clear, he’s crazy. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t have time for such things” – Annie turned and wanted to leave when Henry’s strong hand grabbed her. 

“Didn’t I make it clear, my dear, you must die?” 

This could no longer be called simply madness. And what if he is a maniac and could really harm her? Annie tried to wriggle out of his grasp, but Henry grabbed her with both arms and pushed her back against the tree. Annie had never felt more powerless. Henry looks the girl in the eyes attentively. 

“What a pity that the rose chose you.” 

Annie started screaming. How much power she had. Please help, anyone, anyone, just to help me get out of here. But there was no one. The road was completely empty. Only the gentle whistling of the wind could be heard. It seemed to Annie that everything was over. In Henry’s tight embrace, she only felt terror. Out of desperation, the girl even screamed, but at that moment she heard how the car broke off a few steps away from her and the running footsteps coming in their direction. 

The next moment the girl was already free. Henry was lying on the ground, his face covered in blood. Jim was standing in front of Henry and Sam was trying to calm her down. 

“What happened Annie, we were walking home when Jim heard you. What did he want from you?’ 

“I don’t know,” answered Annie, still not regaining consciousness, “He’s crazy, he wanted to kill me.”

 

“What, why?” asked Jim, approaching them. 

“I don’t know, I already said that he is a maniac,” answered Annie nervously. 

“Personally, I don’t need your death,” Henry’s voice was heard. Standing up, he straightened his coat and walked towards the boys. “I already said that the rose chose you. Your blood is mixed with him. You can’t avoid it. And you guys got involved in a story that you can’t get out of. 

“Stay away we are more then you and we won’t let you hurt Annie.” – Jim decidedly came forward. 

“Are you more?” It doesn’t seem like that.” Mysteriously smiled Henry. 

Footsteps were heard from behind the trees. The street lights cast strange shadows. Suddenly, a horrible scream was heard, and terror itself came out against them. The creature was about 6 feet tall. On both sides of the head, there were curves resembling ram’s horns. The face was missing, eyes place was empty, the big nostrils were followed by a huge horn with long tusks. The legs were longer than the arms, and the tail was visible from behind. The skin, If we could call it that, was bluish and slimy. There were no common ears. 

Jim, Sam and Annie couldn’t move in fear. Just yesterday they were ordinary college students, for whom the worst thing was an exam, but now they were facing something that would completely change their lives. 

“Let me meet with the familiar marags.” Henry smiled. “They are disgusting creatures, but they have a strong sense of smell, thanks to them I found you Annie. Your blood is bound to the rose, and the marags can smell it, even from the end of the world. I’m sorry dear, but there is no alternative. Your fate was decided from the moment you decided to take that rose. And you brave knights will march to protect your princess.’’ 

The marags appeared from different parts of the road, emitting sharp and terrible screams, surrounded the youths, and stopped as if waiting for their master’s order. 

“Well, that’s it,” Henry said indifferently. “Forward.” 

Sam was the first to overcome the shock and punched the marag running towards him with his hard fist. The latter went, but it gassed him. 

A flapping of wings was heard in the air. A few seconds later, a man dressed in all black appeared in front of them, with long black wings extending from his back. The man had a huge skythe in his hand, his head was covered with a hood. Noticing him, the marags stopped for a moment, after which they attacked him with all their might. The man raised the skythe, then brought it down with all his might in the direction of the marags, and five of them fell to the ground, breathless. The stranger turned to the youths, who were surrounded by several more marags. The man flapped his wings, and a powerful wave rose up, throwing the creatures several feet away and onto the ground. 

The stranger closed his wings, which disappeared behind him, and directed his steps towards the youths. 

“Which of you did they come after?” 

Terrified, surprised, the students were unable to answer. They were as if petrified. 

The man lowered his hood and repeated the question. 

“Everything is fine, nothing threatens you now. But I need to know for whom they came here.” 

Long combed back hair, completely black eyes, weak black beard, and pleasant features inspired confidence. 

“My” answered Annie somehow, with a trembling voice. “He was talking nonsense, about the black rose and blood.” 

“Him?” asked the stranger in surprise. “There is no one else here.” 

Annie looked over to where Henry was standing. He was not there. 

“I don’t understand, he was near the tree a little while ago. I definitely remember.” 

“It’s not important,” interrupted the stranger. “Whoever he is, what he said is not nonsense. You are really in great danger girl. These creatures were created to find the person whose blood will touch those flowers. And they do their job very well.”

 

“And who are you, how do you know all that?” Jim suddenly said in a very anxious tone. 

“I saved your lives a little while ago. I think that’s a pretty strong reason to trust me.” 

“And what are we going to do, they won’t leave us alone as you say,” said Sam. 

“There is a curse on Annie. Her blood must be cleansed, otherwise finding her is only a matter of hours. The one who wants you dead, Annie, is a very strong and dangerous person who will stop at nothing.” 

“Henry?” said Annie in surprise. 

“I don’t know who you are talking about, but no. He is just a soldier used by someone stronger. He is the one to watch out for.” 

“Well then remove that curse and let’s end this nightmare.” – said Sam impatiently. 

“I can’t do it, it’s beyond my abilities.” 

“And who can?” asked Jim. 

“Someone I wouldn’t want to meet again. One of the Nine Great Mages.” 

“Who? Listen friend, is everything fine with you? Are you sure you are not crazy?” 

“After everything you’ve seen, I think you should understand that the world is not at all the way you imagine it to be, and the sooner you understand that, the longer you’ll survive.” – the stranger spoke in a serious and confident voice. 

“You don’t have to waste time, every second is precious, they can come back at any time.” 

“Where is that magician, how do we find him?” Annie asked anxiously. 

“Finding him is difficult, but not impossible. Now the important thing is that you constantly change your location. The longer you stay in the same place, the faster they will find you. You have to leave right now.’’ 

“What, I can’t? Mom, I have to see her.” 

“There is no time,” said the stranger in a loud voice. “I will take care of your mother, but now quickly get into the car and leave the city. Go as far as possible and wait for me, I will find you.” 

“What? Why I have to do this?” Annie’s blood is being chased, I’m not going to run out of town,” said Sam. 

“Shut up Sam, we were with her, if they don’t find Annie, they’re going to come after us. We all got into this story, and we have to get out together,” said Jim. 

“Fuck you all” said Sam and angrily went to the car. 

“Let’s go, Annie, everything will be fine,” said Jim, putting his hand on the girl’s shoulder. Getting into the car, they saw how the stranger rose to the sky and disappeared in the darkness of the night. 

“And now what?” said Sam. “Where should we go?” 

“Let’s get out of the city first, then we’ll decide something.” Jim answered. “Let’s hope everything will end soon.” 

“I’ll never go to funerals again,” muttered Sam, turning on the engine. 

In the dark, the car made a turn and sped down the highway into the unknown

1