1. The Lotus Flower Against the Burning Sun
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Poem: My Temptation ₊˚⊹ ⋆。˚

Publish date: Unknown

I think of you even when I close my eyes.

Your delicate blue eyes, the way they sparkle to life and resemble shades of starlight. Holding you near my heart is the closest I'll be to reaching your soft laughter.

Your steady voice in my head, the way it tells me to stay strong when moments I need comfort.

The subtle changes in your voice as we converse, I notice those too. I think the more days pass, I'm becoming more undone by your kindness and gentle words. I never knew love before, but when I close my eyes, I'm sure of what I'm feeling and how you still seem so far away from me.

Your earrings dangle, shining sapphire jewels as you tilt your head of glittering gold hair to look back towards my assessing gaze. "Why do you sigh? Are you tired already, my dear? Come rest in my lap for a while." You offer with sweet words and the most gentle smile.

I'm unable to resist your charm. You have a way of drawing my attention until I've fallen under your spell of temptation. I come closer with intentions to accept your offer, knowing it's impossible to stay away and ponder.

Your lips move again, speaking the words I most anticipate to hear, ensnaring me completely into your bed of flowers and thorns, "I'm always here in your mind, woven through your life, we'll always be together."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

One day my soul woke up inside the body of a stranger and my new life began.

The hand holding mine bared a warm lingering touch that clenched my pulsing heart until ice cold.

“You seem afraid,” whispered the ethereal creature in the form of a man. He towered above me by some length despite that we were both grown men.

Pursing my lips, I stared back at him with my waning anxiety. “Time is running out,” I explained for the umpteenth time we’ve rehashed our current dire situation. “We’ll lose everything if we fail.”

Everything we’ve fought so hard to protect will have been for nothing if we don’t succeed tonight. The North will succeed in bringing back the ancient kingdom known as Atlas, destroying my father’s legacy and the values Cassanova once stood for as a peaceful empire.

The seven gods, who I’ve formed a contract with to achieve my goal, were scattered about the ballroom to keep a watchful perspective of the elaborate play we set up for tonight.

During the annual festival of Winter Blossoms, we infiltrated the castle in the Northern Kingdom that temporarily became open to the public. What better way to attract your enemy’s attention than to bring the fight to them?

The problem, however, was not our strength, but that I was running out of time. The longer another soul resided within my body, the more my own soul would deteriorate and eventually cease to exist. Since contracts were soul binding, the agreement between the gods will be annulled as well. My only hope of saving Cassanova will vanish along with the contracts.

Tonight was my last chance. We had to win no matter the cost.

The fire god’s piercing eyes were the richest shade of purple that ever existed and resembled the deepest layer of floors within an inferno. “You have no faith in us,” he observed without revealing any judgment. “I expected as much.” He began to lead the two of us across the ballroom floor, having previously reached for my hand. “But Cassian,” he spoke again, drawing back my attention like reeling in a spindle of unwoven yarn. “Keep an open mind,” he suggested softly. “We haven’t lost yet.”

To my left, the water god offered me a reassuring roguish smile too. He was the embodiment of a strong current during a storm out at sea that threatened to sweep away stray ships. There was an eye-patch settled over his right eye and his boots jangled with the faint sound of a bell as he walked beside us.

To his left, following not far behind was the lightning god.

Some people referred to him as the god of war because of his thrill to win battles and urge to fight them as well. He was both clever and a strategist despite his seemingly impulsive tendencies. He continued to crack his knuckles in anticipation, glaring straight ahead with a crazy glint of excitement gleaming in his eyes at the unforeseeable danger that lies ahead. Getting him to agree to a contract wasn’t that difficult. I’d say he was even the easiest to convince among the seven with the sweet promise of action he’d receive for helping.

The other five gods were lingering around in other places. Most noticeably the ice god was ensnared in conversation among a group of civilians gathered across the room. He sipped on his glass of peach-colored wine a little too long before letting his gaze drift to mine for a moment.

He looked uncomfortable.

“You're foolish as usual, Cassian,” sneered a familiar female voice within my mind. “You can’t stop fate. Above everyone else, you should know this truth.”

Midnight. I had until midnight.

“Ignoring me again, huh? Shall I sharpen my nails inside your mind to get your attention?” She purred, intentionally lacing her words with malice.

“Go back to sleep,” I mumbled to her dryly under my breath. “You're being too loud.” I contemplated picking at my eardrum in emphasis. She’ll take over my body soon enough. I don’t want to hear her more than necessary.

She let out a dissatisfied sound, working herself into a pout, “What a cruel thing to say as my creator.”

A soft comforting barrier emitted inside my mind cutting off the woman's presence. Instinctively, I looked around for the wine god upon recognizing his protection spell, but he was nowhere to be found.

I had to focus. We were waiting for his arrival. He could appear any moment now and ruin our entire plan if not handled right. Carefully, I kept my eyes peeled on the crowd while the four in our group settled into a quiet corner to wait.

For some reason, my mind drifted to a time not long ago when my relationship with the gods was not the most ideal. There were only five of them who established a contract with me at the time, but it felt like I offered my soul to them on a silver platter. One day I decided I had enough and declared that I needed some space. I tried to escape them, but that only resulted in a sticky situation where they had to save me once again.

It felt foolish for me to want to run away. I remember wondering why I was running from them anymore? The more I did so, the more I began to forget the reason. Despite their constant attempts to protect me, nothing could confine my desperate need to be free.

Being hunted seemed far better than living as a prisoner. It's the notion that kept my adrenaline alive and my burning need for survival. Every decision I’ve ever made was ruled by my desire for freedom and the things I want to protect. Whatever the cost so long as my wings were never cast in chains. Never again would I live at the expense of the whims of someone else or be forced to accept my fate.

Even now that I don’t run from them anymore, this truth remains part of my conviction. There were moments though when I’d find myself drawn to their soft boyish laughter and warm voices. Their calm eyes would waver and smiles would falter because I tried so desperately to survive on my own, but to rely on them completely would mean I’d lose my freedom and that's something I could never do, no matter how my heart swayed.

A hand clamped over my mouth and I fought the urge to scream. When did I become so careless? My instincts were usually sharp, yet were dull to this person’s presence.

The cold edge of steel brushed against the skin of my neck and all movement ceased.

Calmly I looked ahead at nothing. I immediately recognized who had sneaked up behind me. The person we’d been waiting for had finally arrived and in nothing less than an ostentatious manner.

Trying to avoid him in a place away from the crowd was rather pointless, but I already knew to expect as much. After all, this person was none other than the antagonist of my novel I’m currently trapped inside.

My greatest failure that I tried to protect. My friend. My sworn brother.

It was then that I realized the ballroom was frozen almost as if captured within a time capsule and no longer could be called the present. Not a single person moved, including the gods that resided beside me were stuck in a perpetual state.

“You're not the only one who can make a contract with the gods,” Patrick smiled faintly near my ear as he spoke. “Time to go back to the beginning again, Cassian. I hope you're excited as I am for you to try out the new plot.”

Unable to pull away, I felt the blade slide across my throat. The memories I created here flashed through my mind, soon fading into the darkness, along with my life.

0