9. Shared Burdens
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lanterns glowing among the prestigious houses and shops in town gave an illusion of warmth that was misguided with the blanket of snow. I soon heard the crisp sound of two voices and found myself listening.

“So, this is what you came for, eh?”

“Give it back!” the other one shouted. It was obvious that the voice belonged to a woman this time.

“Hmm, I think not.” He smirked a little as if enjoying himself. His lip was bleeding a little. “Nothing is free you know.”

She touched her temple as if this man couldn’t possibly get any worse.

I tend to agree. I took a bite from my apple and leaned against the wall subtly and quiet.

“Firstly, they weren’t yours to begin with so I’d hardly say I owe you something. And another thing,” she said, pointing at him. “You don’t own me. I don’t care how much you paid, I'm a human being before anything to you. Now if you don’t give back my fliers I’ll personally take them from you myself.”

He mulled this over as if knowing he’d already won. “That’s not what our contract says.”

Her eyes were a mixture of both bitterness and sadness. “I don’t have time for this, people's lives are at stake. Doesn’t that mean anything to you?”

“So you're saying those lives are more important than mine?” As if remembering something he frowned, “Why don’t you come visit more often? I give you space, home, food, money. I let you go where you want. Is that really not enough? You know I would give you the world, all you’d need to do is merely ask.”

Ah, was this really the tale of a classic love story I stumbled upon? If this wasn’t a novel, I might roll my eyes at this cliche romance scenario, but I know I shouldn’t as I’m only bullying myself as the author. Everything to blame in this world was my own fault.

“You will never be able to give me what I want,” the woman stated.

Apparently that was all that was needed to set him off and before I knew what was happening the two of them drew out their blades. Like actually fighting with knives and frankly I’ve never seen such a splendid display of movements.

It wasn’t like I haven’t seen fights before since my brother Patrick had been into fencing ever since I could remember. In fact, I had taken some myself, but this fight was on a completely different level. Knives were built shorter and much weaker then long sturdy blades meaning this left more room for an accident, but the way these two were fighting, they played off each other perfectly. It was incredible, like watching two people dance.

A stream of blood suddenly flowed from a fresh wound on the girl’s leg. The boy stumbled back as if someone had brought him back to reality. Noticing me, he took one look between us and ran.

I had the sudden urge to drag him back by the hair and put some sense into him but the girl actually collapsed or rather looked like she was about to and instead took a seat herself. I ripped the innermost part of my clothing where it was easier to tear and use for bandages.

It was only then she fully looked at me but didn’t seem to care. “I’m fine, you don’t need to worry yourself.”

“Who says I’m worried?” I offered her the bandage. This act of kindness was more for my own conscience as the author of this world. I don’t like to see people getting hurt for my foolish decisions.

She looked at me as if I was the strangest thing she’s picked up like a stray cat, “It's not like it's your fault.” Growing a bit annoyed she continued, “I’m part of the rebellion. Some people even consider me a terrorist.” She studied my unimpressed reaction. “Doesn’t that scare you?”

Already having expected this, I shrugged. She looked like she was about to say something further so I changed the topic in a hurry. “Shouldn’t I call someone to catch him?” I said, nodding over my shoulder where he left.

“You’ll never find him.”

“Is that a challenge?” I laughed under my breath. I’ve been a scout since I was seven years old and my step-mother put me to work. I could probably find a stray hare if I wanted to.

She looked away in haste, the words of what she wanted to say left on her lips unheard. “I’m constantly saving his hide. Plus, Eric wouldn’t actually take my life. I’m too valuable to him, I suppose.” She took the bandage finally and started wrapping her wounded leg.

“Do you really think this country is that bad?” I don’t know why but I wanted to hear her opinion. It’s not often I speak with commoners despite the work I do for them.

“On the contrary no, that’s why I protest, but we are overtaxed, crimes are running rampant, and many of us are living on the streets. The royals, do you think they care about such things like poverty or serial killers? Living behind their lavish palace walls, drinking champagne every night. What do they know? The crown prince who no one has claimed to have seen, do you think he cares about us either? If he’s the future of this country, we are truly doomed.”

Playing her words over in my mind, I admitted, “Maybe he feels trapped too.”

She was slightly taken aback, but didn’t disagree. “Well then, him and us both.”

I offered a smile before inquiring, “I believe I still don’t know your name.”

“My name?” the words played on her lips and she gave me a long look. I knew she was only guarded. I’m sure she has as much to lose as I do from being caught here conversing. She sighed, tipping her head back at the sky. “It’s Maya.” She looked at me again, “So tell me, traveler, what do I call you now that you know my name?”

“Vivian. Lady Vivian,” the lie came out as natural as reciting my own name. With my long hair and baggy clothes, no one could really tell the difference of my gender.

Maya stared for a long minute but didn’t say anything.

Was it because I said lady? I wanted to pull my hair out suddenly because of course that was the reason. Ladies don’t show up around these parts. Before I could explain my stupid statement she cut me off.

“So, you're rich?”

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry. “Hardly. You could say I got the short end of the stick.”

Her expression twisted with some emotion I couldn’t quite place. “You're running away too, huh?”

I was shaken by her comment. Yes, perhaps we weren’t so different in some regards. Of the two reasons I’m here tonight, she’s correct about one of them. An unsettling feeling grew in my gut that her observation skills were too keen. She might just be aware of everything.

“You should join us. I know you’re not a woman, you don’t have to explain to me your reasons.” She gave half a smile, “The fact is you're running like the rest of us. We only want justice for the wrong’s the royals have committed. Some even say that they want to purify this world from its sins and that’s why they’ve forgotten about us.”

I suppose from a certain perspective, it may look that way to outsiders. I rubbed my forehead to prevent the oncoming headache. If they really thought this way, the rift between us just increased ten fold. She practically implied we wanted genocide.

“Troubling, isn’t it?” Her head tilted in my direction.

Lady, you have no idea. My troubles keep increasing by the minute.

She passed me a piece of paper with a street address she scribbled down.

I quietly accepted it, my prize within my grasp.

Bingo.

I smiled sweetly when I left.

0