Chapter 11 – Carnegie Hall
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Warren heard Amber’s footsteps as she ran away, heading to the stern of the ship. Hobbling after her, he saw her hide behind a raised platform of one crane. When he caught up with her, he was furious.

“Damn it, you play that game again, and I’ll dump you over the side.” He told her with an ominous growl. “Whether or not you like it, we’re stuck in this together.”

“Don’t threaten me,” she told him, her anger rising. “All I have to do is give a scream, and the crew will have their killer, won’t they?”

Warren took Amber by the arm, making her grunt as he lifted her from the deck.

“Quit it, you’re hurting me.” Her voice got louder as he led her with them back to the cabin deck.

Behind them, they could hear the trapped sailor striking something on the steel hatch. Luckily, the sound remained distant, barely heard over the noise of the ship passing through the water.

“Keep your voice down,” Warren told her as he pushed them into the shadows behind the crane.

“You want to raise the alarm, then fine with me, lady. If you yell, I’m going to put this on you,” he said emphatically. “I’ll say you were in on the whole thing. Do you think they won’t ask why you were down there in the middle of the night? I told you, I’m not frying again. So, start thinking about that.”

Warren noticed his words were having an effect. Her expression changed to worry, but his temper made him keep going.

“Damn it, do you really want to push me on this? Hell, I can lie pretty damn well if I need to,” he continued. “Think about it. Do you want both of us in the hot seat? It’ll make plenty of noise in the newspapers.”

She remained silent for a long moment. Warren carefully led them into the light of the deck, and he noticed her resistance loosened.

“Where are we going?” Amber asked suspiciously.

“Hell, I don’t know,” he sighed, then dragged her with him.

“Let’s get out of here.”

Warren realized the captain would turn him over to the police when they arrived. From there, he could bet the writers would have him stuck in a jail cell for the rest of the movie, probably have him killed while trying to escape.

When they reached the ladder to the passenger deck, he pulled her into a shadowed area beneath the overhang.

“I don’t really know what to do next, but I—no—we need to think this through. Let’s go to my cabin,” he suggested. “It’s the only place where we can talk. We must plan this out when they ask questions, and we only have a few hours.”

“I told you I’m not going anywhere with you. I still don’t believe you,” Amber told him. “Everyone saw your argument with that guy Krupin this afternoon. If you don’t go to the Captain, I will.”

“Keep your voice down!”

His fingers pinched into her arm.

“Ouch!” the woman hissed out her complaint.

“Quit talking like a damn fool. You were following me, so you know deep down I didn’t have time to shoot anyone. This is the last time I’ll repeat myself. If I was a killer, you’d be dead,” Warren insisted as he pushed her up against the bulkhead.  

“Use your damn brain. You would have heard any shots since you were only a minute behind me. That cargo area was like Carnegie Hall tonight. Who the hell goes there in the middle of the night without a reason?”

Warren loosened his grip as his voice turned low and threatening.

“I just remembered something. You were staring at the ladder where I heard someone trying to leave that place. That means you saw something. So, you’re either in this with him or it means the murderer must know you’re involved as well.”

“No, I’m not involved.” Amber shook her head.

“This is not a luxury liner where the cops will figure out everything in a few minutes. Then, they come in and tell you that you’re free to go. We’ve got a gigantic puzzle here.”

The man paused when he recognized she didn’t understand his reference to the tropes used in old movies.

“Never mind,” he let go of her arms. “I know I might look as guilty as hell, but you’ve got too many secrets as well.”

Amber remained silent. Warren noticed he could no longer hear the tapping sound coming from the hold. Either the crewman stopped, or they were out of hearing range. Warren couldn’t be sure.

“Alright, let’s get back to a few minutes ago,” he told her. “Like I said, either you didn’t hear the gunshot or you’re involved with this Krupin guy like that girl of his, Mary. Which is it?”

“I’m not involved with Tony Krupin,” she declared hotly.

“Then you followed me. There’s no other choice and the cops will ask the same question,” he said flatly.

To Warren’s surprise, she finally agreed.

“Alright, I followed you. Still, it doesn’t mean I trust you,” Amber said. “You might be partners with a murderer for all I know. You must have some reason for being down there.”

He let out a breath, thinking about her admission.

 “Fair enough. I’ll take that as you didn’t hear the gunshot,” Warren told her. “We’ll talk this out. Either you and I work together, or we will both have a big target on us when they find Krupin.”

He glanced around for anyone who might be nearby. Finding their path looked clear. He turned back to her.

“Are you coming?” He asked.

“This is crazy,” she replied, but she followed him up to the passenger deck.

They heard the ship’s bells striking as they neared his cabin. Warren didn’t know what the number meant, but a quick glance at his watch told him it was now past midnight. Just as they turned the corner, they both noticed the large shadow standing near Warren’s cabin. Warren immediately pushed her back around the corner.

“That’s Krupin’s gorilla at my door,” he whispered in her ear. “Not a pleasant fellow and I’ll bet he will wonder about his boss. I don’t think you want to meet him. Now, what?”

He heard her sigh.

“Ok, to my cabin then.” She turned, leading Warren to the other side of the ship. After passing several dark entrances to other staterooms, they reached Amber’s room. After entering, she turned the switch, and an almost duplicate copy of his stateroom appeared. Warren pointed her to the chair next to the secretary. After he had closed the door, he locked the porthole over the bed and shut the curtains. Sitting on the edge of the bed, he stared at her for a moment, trying to decide what to tell her.

“Let’s get this started off right. I’m known as Warren Baker. The bursar told me your first name. Now, why are you following me?”

At first, she was quiet, looking at him as if she was trying to decide. She held her hands in her lap, and he noticed her horned rim glasses gave her a severe look which blocked any show of trust she might have toward him. They also hid her blue eyes. But her manner made it clear he was the enemy.

“My name is Amber Fane,” she finally told him.

“Nice to meet you, but explain why the interest in me? Or do you just like to get on a ship so you can see their cargo hold at night?” He asked with a smile, gamely trying to lighten the mood.

“Save your wit for others. You know why.” She said, as her eyes narrowed.

He held back the curse word that came to his lips.

“Let’s not go in circles here,” Warren told her. “I’ve never met you before. So, I do not know what you are talking about.”

She stared at him.

“Ok, you don’t believe me, so I’ll start from the beginning. I really do not know what’s going on there,” he said. “All I know is this guy Krupin had some sort of agreement with me. Apparently, I was to carry something in my luggage or a trunk of some sort.”

Amber’s eyes widened at his statement.

“What do you mean, apparently?” She asked. “You just said you had an agreement.”

Warren realized the conversation was going down the wrong path quickly.

“Right, we had a deal. Something was in my luggage, I think. I don’t know what. That’s why I was down there. Seeing that small bag of cement mixed with a bunch of clothes surprised me. It makes little sense. You agree with that, right?”

“What was your deal with Krupin?”

The tone of her question showed a guarded interest as he pulled the item he found on the deck from his pocket, looking at it closer.

“I’m not sure. Mary has something to do with it,” Warren improvised as he remembered his long-gone hangover. “I was pretty looped. The evidence points to my trunk since he was there.”

“Mary? You mean that woman running around with Krupin?” She asked. “How would she be involved?”

Focusing on the object in his hand, Warren paused for a moment.

“I said I was drunk, so I’m not sure. I can tell you she was really upset with me,” he said. “She warned me, so it means Mary is a suspect. Maybe she’s guilty and left me hanging.”

He decided not to bring up the fact Mary was in bed with him when he awoke.

“So, you’re telling me you’re a drunk who didn’t know what Krupin put in your luggage,” she replied. “All the while you have an agreement with him or his bimbo about this something you don’t know about?”

Warren gave her a surprised look when she laid out what he told her. He took a deep breath, looking down at the white stone in his hand.

“I know it sounds nuts. But I swear that’s the truth,” he replied. “After listening to you repeat it, I can’t expect you to believe me. Can you see why I don’t think we can run to the captain or anyone else? Who would believe it? You don’t. I can see it in your eyes.” He shook his head, suddenly feeling exhausted.

0