Chapter 10. Report
24 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Abe showered and then made his way to the Kennels—fresh clothing and boots were provided. Ricky no longer bothered locking him up, or even forcing him into a cell, allowing him to roam the room.

Gliding his hand across rusty, metal contraptions, Abe turned to Ricky, fiddling with the same device he had been since he arrived.

“What’s this all for?”

“Oh,” Ricky turned with a perked brow of bone. “Those? Instruments to help keep the extra rotty ones together. Surviving the sewers normally strengthens them up enough not to need them anymore, though.”

“There are newborns that can’t even hold themselves together that manage to survive down there?”

“You know Elissa, right?”

Abe nodded.

“Her condition when she arrived was about as bad as I’ve ever seen one of your lot. Still, she pulled the rest of them apart like it was nothing. And now look at her—a faux wight.”

“A wight?” Abe turned away from the instruments.

“She wishes,” Ricky chattered. “But she is as strong as a weak one, which is pretty impressive, all things considered.”

“Hold up, Ricky. What’s a wight, and why am I supposed to be impressed?”

“Here we go,” Ricky sighed, his flaming blue eyes crackling with a burst of heat. “Undead hierarchy, it helps you understand how strong monsters are.”

“Aren’t you undead too?”

“No, I’m a puppet, remember? I don’t even know who this skull belonged to, but it definitely wasn’t me. Anyway, let me give you a brief so you don’t come yapping about it again. At the top, you’ve got vampires like the Mistress and Liches, and then after that, you get wraiths, zombie kings, and dhampir. Further down you've got revenants, shades, and death knights. And then below that you’ve got wights, draugr, necromancers, meat mounds, and banshees.”

“That doesn’t sound so impressive,” Abe shrugged.

“Well, below them, is you—ghouls, ghosts, and skeleton knights,” Ricky chuckled. “The only things you’re above are zombies, newborns, and skeletons. So, you might want to check that smugness.”

Abe glanced down before raising his gaze back to Ricky, “So, newborns can turn into ghouls, and then wights?”

Ricky shook his head, “No. Newborns are just ghouls before they have properly formed,” he narrowed his bony eyes on Abe. “Hard to say exactly what you’re supposed to be.”

“Me, why?” Abe said, placing a hand on his chest.

“You were weak, but otherwise, you were born a lot closer to a ghoul than a newborn. And your flesh,” his eyes traced Abe’s form. “Its condition… almost on par with the Mistress herself. Even Kearn can’t compare to you.”

“Kearn?”

“Most powerful ghoul Miss Nia ever made. He managed to earn himself special treasures because of it. The evolving kind.”

“What, but you said…”

“I know what I said. Ghouls can’t just keep eating brains and evolving into stronger creatures, not normally at least. They can reach the pinnacle like Elissa, and maybe, just maybe if they are a stand-out specimen they might evolve into a wight. Like Elissa, she is almost as strong as the next tier, but she’s still a ghoul, and she won’t get any stronger as she is. Not without treasures at least.”

“And the Mistress doesn’t provide these treasures?”

Ricky chuckled, “She’s not made of money, kid. Treasures have to be earned. And unfortunately for Elissa, it seems unlikely she’ll prove herself worthy. Kearn, on the other hand, has. He has consumed at least two such treasures that I know about, and thanks to them, has managed to form the body of a revenant.”

“And if they are so valuable, why was Miss Nia willing to give them up to him? Why wouldn’t she just take them for herself?”

“Don’t be stupid, kid. She’s a vampire, she’s on an entirely different level to you. The kind of treasures that can evolve a ghoul or a wight would not affect someone like the Mistress. And those that can are beyond expensive. We’re talking about the peak. A step below a prince or an Arch-Lich. No one gives these treasures up, not for any price.”

“So, I’m at the bottom, and to rise I need to prove myself to the Mistress?”

Ricky nodded, “You do. But then again, I’ve never seen a slave catch the Mistress's eye like you. The others have noticed, too. She sees you in a different light. But she’s old and wise, not some foolish human to rush into dumb decisions. She wants you to ascend, and reach your potential. But she won’t just give it to you. It wouldn’t be wise. It would weaken you.”

“So, if I prove myself she might provide me with one of these treasures?”

Ricky nodded, “I’m not making any promises, but I’d imagine so. You see, you need more than just treasures to evolve, but also potential. Look, I don’t know exactly what’s up with you. Or why do you look the way you do? But there’s a reason for it, and it seems the Mistress believes it's important.

Footsteps echoed down the stone steps, interrupting them.

“Keep this between us. Best those two don’t know I’m helping you.”

The echoing steps stopped and Kearn appeared at the corner of the wall, “She’s ready for you.”

Abe nodded, “Thanks,” he flashed a smile at Ricky and followed Kearn upstairs.

 

“Quite impressive,” came Kearn’s soft voice as he led Abe upstairs. “I’m surprised you were able to best something as strong as that already.”

Abe raised a brow, “What do you mean?”

“Oh, come on. I can smell it on you,” he said, stepping to the side of Miss Nia’s room and gesturing for Abe to enter. “There’s something else too,” he added, tapping his nose. 

Abe's gaze narrowed as he passed Kearn into the room. 

“Something rare, perhaps you’ve been hungry?”

The door shut behind him, and Miss Nia’s silhouette appeared behind the curtain, arms rising to pull it apart.

“You’re back already,” she smiled just enough to show her fangs.

“There was-”

“Don’t,” she said, raising a hand as she strode in her silky gown toward Abe, pressing her finger against his lips when she reached him. Peeling her finger away, she placed her palm over his eyes and clasped the other around his head. “Don’t fight it,” she whispered.

Pain surged through his temples, blackening out his thoughts and making his ears ring—but only a second later she released and it faded away.

“I see, so that’s what happened. Annoying. I didn’t expect them to act so quickly.”

“Ahh…” Abe’s brow furrowed.

Light, elegant steps carried Miss Nia to a red, satin sofa. She sat, crossing her stockinged legs—switching sides as Abe’s gaze followed her, briefly exposing beneath her dress.

“Please, sit,” she said, pointing to the chair opposite.

Abe nodded and took to it.

“There’s a matter of the utmost importance that shall soon carry me away from this place,” she narrowed her gaze on Abe. “And likely put us all in danger, even more so than is the constant of this place.”

Abe swallowed, “Seriously, more than I’ve already gone through?”

“I’m an heir to the seat of Umbrial. It’s one of the vampire council seats, and has existed for as long as we have.”

Abe nodded curiously.

“My sire, Ulysses Umbrial was the last head of the Umbrial House. He sat at the vampire council until his death. I intend to take his seat, as is my right. Unfortunately, my sisters feel equally entitled. That orb you consumed was created by that festering chemist, the Man in White, he’s a necromancer. They call it a shining pearl and it has amazing healing qualities, but it will wear off eventually. Be careful of him, he is one of my sister Katarina’s mercenaries.”

“And why is he here?”

“It is some kind of move. Though I couldn’t tell you exactly what she hopes to achieve. Those zombies wouldn’t have even made it into the garden. Perhaps she wishes to draw me out. Sending her slaves to cause trouble in the hope of snaring me,” Miss Nia tapped her lip with the red nail of her index. 

“So, we just ignore them?”

“They move in the shadows. I cannot wait any longer, I must stake my claim against the seat. Too much rides on this and I will not see my domain vassalized to one of my sisters.”

“vassalized?” Abe echoed.

“Yes, I am but lowly baroness, bowing to the Umbrial throne. My sisters, Katarina, Zofia, Ivana, and Valentina all seek the throne. All of them stand in my way, and all of them hold titles greater than mine.”
“All of them?” Abe’s eyes widened, struggling to imagine four sisters more powerful than Miss Nia.

“Yes, I am the youngest of the vampires sired by Ulysses. But I will not wait. An eternity could pass before the opportunity to take the seat rises again. I must go to the council, take my claim, and confront my sisters. And I will need Kearn at my side. He is the only one strong enough to aid me should the need arise.”

Abe inched closer, nearing the edge of his seat—his quivering lip betraying his calm facade.

Miss Nia’s lips curled into a smile, perking her cheeks, “Going to miss me, are you?”

Abe cleared his throat and straightened, realizing she had seen through him, his tells as plain as day.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be back soon enough,” she stood up and walked to a nearby counter and pulled out a jeweled glass. Slitting her wrist, she filled it with blood. “There are stores of my blood in the freezers,” she turned to Abe, glass he hand.

Swallowing, Abe found himself fixated on the glass and her wrist, a trickle still running from it.

“Impress me and the next time you will feed from my flesh once again,” she said, handing the glass to Abe and walking back toward where she had come. “Now leave.”

He watched her disappear behind the curtain and rose, raising the glass to sip, but the moment the blood touched his lips instinct took over and he gulped it down.

“I’ll impress you, Mistress,” he said, placing the glass back down and bowing toward the curtain. 

Rising, Abe gently placed a hand against his mouth.

Where had those words come from? They felt foreign but good. He wanted to say it again. Mistress. He wanted to scream the name at the top of his lungs.

Trembling, he struggled to contain himself, gritting his teeth as he left the room.

Are these thoughts my own? This desire to be her number one? No, not just her number one. I want her, to control her.

The thought electrified him, sending jolts of desire thumping through his body. He wasn’t sure he even cared anymore. What feeling had he ever experienced that compared to this? What sane man would turn away from ecstasy so powerful? 

Only one path seemed to make sense anymore. 

To become her equal.

2