Chapter 1: Elopement
47 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Rong'er, let's rest here for a moment. Our escorts will arrive soon!" Shen Wenyuan plucked a peach blossom and handed it to her.

A sharp pain pierced Jiang Rong's mind, countless memories flooding back, ultimately settling into a calm state.

She gazed steadily at the person before her, then glanced around... It was the peak of spring, peach blossoms in full bloom, a gentle breeze rustling. Shen Wenyuan, with a tender expression, stood opposite her, offering her a blossom.

This scene...Was all too familiar.

It was ten years ago, the scene of her elopement with Shen Wenyuan.

She often fantasized afterward, if that day they hadn't encountered bandits, if Xie Lingxi hadn't appeared. Could they have lived happily ever after?

Only on the brink of death did she realize, her entire life had been lived in lies.

Ridiculous, despicable.

Never did she expect that upon opening her eyes after death, she would return to ten years ago.

"The bandits you arranged indeed arrived quickly," Jiang Rong stared at him, a hint of self-mockery curling her thin lips.

Shen Wenyuan's expression changed instantly. How did she know he had hired bandits?

"This slap is for my father!" Jiang Rong raised her hand, swinging her arm around, and harshly slapped Shen Wenyuan across the face:

"He raised a white-eyed wolf!"

Jiang Rong's father and Shen Wenyuan's father were close friends. When Shen's father offended the emperor and was exiled, no one dared to help the Shen family.

Only Jiang's father, just and loyal, took in Shen Wenyuan as his own, betrothing him to his beloved daughter, and treating him like his own son.

Countless gossips circulated behind their backs, saying that a daughter of the Jiang family, an esteemed noblewoman, was paired with a traitor's son.

But Jiang Rong never cared about his identity. They grew up together, and pledged their love to each other. Shen Wenyuan once said that from then until now, he loved only her.

"This slap is for your father!"

Before Shen Wenyuan could react, Jiang Rong delivered another slap, hitting the other side of his face with her backhand:

"Lord Shen has always been loyal. With a son like you, he's doomed for generations."

Half a month ago, the emperor ordered Lord Shen's return and appointed him as Grand Tutor.

Shen Wenyuan immediately felt that as the son of the Grand Tutor, he was no longer the same person as before. How could Jiang Rong, a mere orphan from a fallen noble family, be worthy of becoming his lawful wife?

But with Jiang's family helping him through thick and thin for fifteen years, he wanted to call off the engagement, yet feared Shen's disapproval. So, he bribed bandits, intending to abduct Jiang Rong and ruin her innocence.

This way, he could rid himself of Jiang Rong with a clear conscience.

However, before he could take action, Jiang Rong got herself into trouble.

The eldest son of the most influential family in Great Xia, the Northern Prince's Mansion, became infatuated with Jiang Rong at first sight and forced her into marriage under Empress Dowager's decree.

Shen Wenyuan should have been overjoyed, rid of a nuisance. But someone didn't want Jiang Rong to marry into the Northern Prince's Mansion, and paid a high price to sabotage the marriage.

So, Shen Wenyuan, on one hand, persuaded Jiang Rong to elope, and on the other, arranged for bandits to intercept them halfway.

He incited chaos from beginning to end, refusing to let Jiang Rong have a peaceful ending.

Extremely malicious.

"Shen Wenyuan, I must dig out your heart to see if it's black!" A glint of malice flashed in Jiang Rong's eyes.

"You dare to hit me, you wretch!" Shen Wenyuan snapped back, his anger uncontrollable.

Jiang Rong was about to be killed by bandits, so he no longer needed to pretend, reaching out to grab her collar. But before he could make a move, Jiang Rong raised her leg and fiercely kicked him in the abdomen, knocking him to the ground.

Followed by another kick to his stomach.

The moves were clean and ruthless, indicating they were well-practiced.

"Ah!" Shen Wenyuan cried out in pain, unable to get up.

He never expected Jiang Rong to strike twice.

Before this moment, Jiang Rong was indeed a delicate and helpless noblewoman who couldn't take care of herself. That was until someone taught her during those ten years at the Northern Prince's

Mansion.

"I'll get you for this!" Shen Wenyuan threatened fiercely.

Jiang Rong chuckled, kicking Shen Wenyuan like a sandbag again and again, leaving him bloody and unable to even scream.

In the distance, the sound of galloping horses grew louder, a dark mass of masked bandits rushing over.

A glimmer of hope sparked in Shen Wenyuan's eyes. "Jiang Rong, you're as good as dead..."

A teenage boy on a white horse appeared in the peach forest in the distance.

With a noble demeanor, sword-like eyebrows, and a free-spirited elegance, he was as radiant as a jade tree in the wind.

Dressed in bright red wedding attire, he exuded unparalleled charm and elegance.

The Northern Prince's eldest son, Xie Lingxi.

With bandits in the front and Xie Lingxi in the back. Jiang Rong hated him to death in her previous life. She even fled toward the bandits, preferring death at their hands rather than being caught by him...

And now... Jiang Rong's face twisted in panic and fear, clutching her skirt as she stumbled and ran towards him.

2