Chapter 3
6 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just a few more steps, Raiden thinks, eyeing the faint light far ahead of them. Even from the distance, he can make out the foliage pattern and bright colors of the circular window.

Silence surrounds him and Raia, save for the crunching of twigs and leaves beneath their feet as they rustle through the woods. The smell of damp earth, wet tree trunks, and flowers grow stronger as they go deeper, but every breath they take is like freshwater, cleansing their insides.

"Don't worry, we are close," Raiden reassures Raia even though she hasn't said anything.

She's quiet. I guess she's already tired, Raiden ponders, sneaking a glance at her.

After the incident in the town, the two ended up walking the remaining distance to reach the outskirts of Armaros, the capital of Panacea. But until now, Raiden can't still get the guilt off his chest for what happened at the coachman.

It's my fault, those words keep ringing around his mind, making his heart sinks deeper in guilt.

A cold wind blows, followed by the sound of rustling leaves and trees, their garments ruffling out. Raiden casts another apologetic glance at Raia, who is clutching the cloak tightly around her.

"We're here," he exclaims, his eyes glinting in the moonlight. "Finally, we have arrived at the headquarters of Nirvana Order." He releases a sigh and looks up.

Raia regards him with a frown, then she follows his gaze.

A cathedral made of rough-hewn grey stone looms in front of them. It appears to have gushed out of the earth, stretching high above. Its spires protrude sharply up the velvety dark sky like spikes.

"A cathedral?" Raia asks.

Raiden shifts his gaze to her and beams. "It's more than just a cathedral inside."

As they saunter closer to the enormous building, their gazes rove over the gloomy architecture. The angel sculptures on the tympanum are barely visible in the dim light from above. There are also sculptures of men and women around the portal, holding weapons of different kinds. Aragons.

Raiden looks at Raia as she studies the center section, which has fewer sculptures. There are only twelve men carved there, with six men facing the other six men.

"They're the twelve Prophets who fought the first war against the servants of darkness. The Holy War, " Raiden explains with a smile etched on his face.

Understanding dawns on Raia's features, eyes still fixated on the beautiful sculptures. "The first humans who became Holy Warriors of Azarios."

A gust of wind blows across them. They fall silent as they gaze upward at the great rose window, gleaming with multitudinous hues that match the emotions swirling within their chests.

"Let's go," Raiden utters after a long silence, taking a step towards the entrance of the cathedral.

A silver wings sculpture is plastered on the metal double door, which brightens before the door creaks open. In the process, the wings sculpture is split in two.

Raiden steps through the entrance with Raia trailing behind him. But before the hooded girl can walk through the doorway, it closes in an instant, preventing her attempt. Raiden makes a facepalm.

"Damn, I forgot to warn her," Raiden mutters to himself as the silver wings sculpture outside radiates a beam of light before the door opens once again.

Raiden smiles sheepishly with an apologetic nod as the scowling Raia emerges in front of him, hood framing her features.

"Sorry about that," he says and scratches the nape of his neck. "I forgot to tell you. Since this place is the sanctuary of the servants of Light, we're making sure no beings from darkness can enter, so anyone who enters has to be examined."

"I see. Some kind of scanner," Raia mumbles, and a loud booming sound echoes as the door behind them slams shut.

Raiden nods. "Yeah. It's actually designed by the first founders of the Order, Mikael — for the founder of the Mikaelean Branch." His voice bounces off the hard surface surrounding them.

"This . . . " Raia's voice falters as she takes in their surroundings.

When Raiden follows her line of sight, he smiles and scratches his head. "Ah, I'm sorry, but we're duty-bound to another long walk."

Ahead of them is a long tunnel that stretches endlessly. Torches run in rows along the stone wall, illuminating the dark hallway. Every trace of coldness disappears as the warmth coming from the flames embraces them like a blanket.

"Well, let's go," Raiden says after a moment of silence. "Let's start walking again."

As they march forward, their footsteps reverberate throughout the space, sounding audible in the deafening silence. None of them have dared to break the silence throughout the walk until a large metal door appears ahead of them.

"We're here," Raiden states when they reach the end of the hallway. And, as if in response to his words, the double metal door slides open on its own with a rumbling noise.

"That's a twenty-minute walk," Raia mutters in a hushed voice, and Raiden chuckles weakly.

They stare as a grand hall comes into view with a large wooden round table standing at the center. Some of the seats are occupied by people wearing long crimson coats and one young man wearing an Aragon uniform. At the end of the hall opposite where they stand is a stone staircase that leads to the upper floors. The stained-glass dome ceiling is too high to make out, and it gives the place a holy atmosphere.

People in purple hooded cloaks laced with gold stand in each corner, their eyes hidden in their hoods fixated on the newcomer, trying to see the face hidden beneath her black hood. Raia hides her face deeper under her hood, as if sensing their gazes, and scans the area instead.

"Welcome to the Mikaelean Branch," Raiden speaks in a low voice without glancing at her, a soft smile plastered on his face.

"So this is Nirvana Order," Raia utters quietly, stepping on the bronze polished concrete floor.

Raiden beams at her, pride filling his chest as he watches Raia scan the place. Then he turns and faces the people sitting at the round table. "I've brought someone who will join us in stopping the Great Wizard."

Upon declaring that, Raia takes off the hood from her head, revealing a grim face framed with dark purple hair. Raiden watches them as they stare at the girl standing before them.

A bespectacled young man with short caramel hair rises from his seat at the round table. He's dressed in a black cassock with a crimson capelet draped over his shoulders. He is in his twenties and holds the position of Bishop.

Smiling, Raiden nods a greeting at him. Returning the gesture, the man shifts his gaze to Raia and clears his throat.

Raia's eyes flicker to him.

"Before anything else, can you tell me the motto of Nirvana Order?" the bespectacled man states, looking at Raia.

Raia stares at him for a couple of seconds before speaking up. "We exist to destroy the darkness that corrupts human souls." Her deep voice resounding around the place.

The glasses man's mouth stretches to a wide smile, looking satisfied. He pushes up his glasses and spreads his arms.

"You who have been chosen by the angels, we are honored to welcome you to the holy organization with people united by the Light," the man bellows, his voice echoing throughout the hall. "Welcome to the main branch of the Nirvana Order. I am the head of the Mikaelean Branch, Cyrus Galbraith."

Raia lowers herself to a quick bow. That movement causes her hair to fall from behind her cape and down to her waist. Then she makes her way to the round table, her hair undulating like ocean waves with each step.

The guy in a long black coat stands up and approaches Raiden. He's a tall, well-built man with fiery red hair. As he walks, the five necklaces around his neck jingle like a cat bell.

"Who is she? And where did you find her? She kinds of gives me the creeps," the redhead says in jest, a frown on his face. He drapes an arm around Raiden's shoulders.

Raiden gives him a strange look before removing his arms from around his shoulders. "The hell you talking about, Nathan?" But deep down, he can't blame the guy. Raia's presence gives off an ominous vibe due to her aloof demeanor.

Nathan narrows his eyes. "She seems so stiff and cold, just like an Outcast. Maybe she is?"

When Raiden throws him a look, his mouth gives a lopsided grin, revealing one sharp fang, and a glint of humor flickers in his coal-black eyes. "Just kidding." He scratches his head.

Raiden sighs. "But guess who her master is." His mouth forms a smile as he stares at the dark purple hair.

1