Chapter 11 (Part 2)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Raia can no longer see the Blood Demon. The whip-like blade has encased him as it continues to extend, trapping him and leaving no way out. The whole place is almost surrounded by intersecting bladed chains. Following Raiden's attack, she thrusts her sword into the ground. Roaring flames erupt from the floor, engulfing the scene in front of them. Orange and red hues illuminate the dim place, casting a coppery sheen upon the wooden walls and furniture.

"Cypress!" Raiden bellows.

Sharp blades protrude from the main blade like spikes, piercing the demon trapped within. The flame that surrounds the sharpened metals waves and dances, emitting golden heat that is only harmful to demons. Raia points her sword forward, aiming at the burning scene. Her weapon recoils like a gun as a bullet-shaped fire escapes from the tip of the blade. As soon as the fire bullet disappears into the large flame, a loud booming sound resembling an explosion is heard, and the wavering tongues of flames flash brightly for a second. Golden smoke swirls around the chain whip as the holy fire slowly dissipates.

Raiden yanks at his weapon, performing the final blow, and the bladed chain closes around the unseen presence. That attack surely rips Loki apart.

But then, out of thin air, the very demon trapped within the bladed chain appears in front of Raiden, holding a golden mirror.

Raiden's eyes widen in terror.

So does Raia.

Loki appears to be completely unharmed. There is not a single scratch or graze on his body or garment. However, the humor in his eyes has faded and been replaced by a cold one.

Raiden stands motionless on his feet, his round eyes fixed on the Blood Demon. Then he gasps when Loki grasps his throat.

Just as Raia shifts her stance, preparing to pounce on her opponent, Loki holds up his hand, warning her not to get any closer.

"One careless step and this pretty boy is dead," Loki says, a firm note in his voice.

Raia remains motionless, her dull eyes fixed on Loki. Raiden tries to pry Loki's hand away from his neck, but Loki only tightens his grip. His weapon slips from his grasp, and the chain whip retracts to its original length.

"So, how well do you know yourself?" Loki remarks as he looks at his helpless opponent.

As Raiden tries to kick him, Loki catches his foot with his other hand and twists it enough to make him scream.

"Now, behave and listen to me," Loki says with a smile. "Since you said you don't remember me, that implies you have no recollection of your past, am I correct?"

Raiden stiffens at his statement. His expression alone is enough to rouse Loki to speak further.

"You poor boy, you don't know a thing about yourself. Perhaps you aren't even who you think you are. Are you certain of the people around you? Just so you know, humans are untrustworthy creatures. They aren't any different than demons you claim to despise. Oh. We are, in fact, more compassionate than you disciples."

"Stop saying nonsense things!" Raiden growls. He raises his other leg to kick him again, but Loki thrusts a blade into his stomach. He gasps in pain.

Loki twists the blade before yanking it out, and Raiden lets out an agonizing scream. The piercing sound of blood droplets echoes throughout the place like a pounding heart.

Raia remains rooted to the ground, her face expressionless. But Loki's bloodstained blade catches her eye. Where did the blade come from? It resembles Raiden's chain blade as if Loki has snatched one of its blades.

She notices that the demon is no longer holding a mirror.

"One step and your friend will now say goodbye," Loki warns.

Raia stares blankly at him. She does not even allow herself to glance at her bleeding comrade.

"I don't have such thing as a friend," Raia declares, and Loki's brows shoot up, not expecting her blunt and cold response.

Raiden's face falls as his eyes flicker to her.

Don't give him what he wants. Don't give him what he wants.

Raia keeps her face expressionless as she repeats those words in her head. Of course, she is well aware of what the Blood Demon is attempting. He's attempting to weaken her defenses by manipulating her emotions. Too bad, she won't fall for such tricks so easily. Furthermore, Raiden is someone she just met, so the demon's words mean nothing to her.

Loki looks at Raiden with confusion and then regains his composure. "Anyway, don't worry, boy, because I'll keep what I've learned to myself, okay? I'm also not going to tell you anything, not even who you are. I'll be gracious and let you die peacefully." He lets go of Raiden's throat and kicks him hard in the wounded stomach, sending him flying backward against a wooden wall.

Raia takes that as a cue from him and lunges.

Loki grins as he leaps away, licking the blade. "Not bad. But I still prefer the blood of a woman." He looks at Raia. "So, how about you? May I have a taste of yours?"

"Shut the hell up!" Raia roars as she swings her sword and releases a flame.

Loki laughs as he hops to the side. "I'm curious how you became a disciple. You're just as ruthless as the creatures you claim to hunt or . . . destroy."

Raia holds his gaze and poises her sword in both hands before advancing.

Loki skips and hops like a tap dancer as he evades her attacks, his ginger hair bouncing up and down on his head. Then his mouth widens into a bright smile, and his eyes twinkle as if he has realized something interesting. He stops and grabs her wrist and throws her to the ground.

Wincing, Raia pushes herself up from the floor. She may be a skilled fighter, but her opponent seems to have mastered the art of dodging, not to mention his incredible speed. On top of that, he appears to be someone who cannot be easily outwitted.

Loki looks her over from head to toe, a glint in his eyes. "Oh, I just realized you're the so-called great Apostle's apprentice. I'd heard he's a powerful man, but I never imagined his apprentice would be nothing in comparison to him, eh?"

Raia remains standing as she gathers her breath. Her body is on fire as her weapon continues to consume her mana. Releasing a Blessing increases its power, giving the owner an advantage in combat. However, it has a drawback. A Blessing that has been released can only be sustained for as long as it has mana to feed on. Once the proprietor has been drained, they will suffer from a severe case of enervation, which will result in them losing consciousness.

Loki heaves a sigh of disappointment. "You know, you're all being blinded by the light, thinking you're saviors who can redeem the world from corruption. I'm telling you, there is no such thing as purity in this world. Don't fool yourself into thinking you're one. Because you simply aren't. This is a grey world where everyone is a mix of light and dark. And we're all just trying to survive."

"Shut up!" Raia hisses, more like a whisper in the midst of the deafening silence.

The Blood Demon is no doubt trying to provoke her. He's trying to get inside her head and play with her emotion. He's a clever demon, Raia will give him that, and a very strong one. Unfortunately, she has no emotion for him to manipulate. She is, after all, a monster created by the orphanage.

I don't really care if I'm walking the tunnel of darkness or the path of purity.

Raia will be anything and do anything to achieve her goal. Even if it means sacrificing her humanity for the time being.

She wants to make the world a better and more peaceful place for her next life. To reincarnate in a world where no supernatural beings can interfere with human souls and where emotions are not a threat.

A world where she can be free.

She rests her hands on her knees to catch her breath. She can already feel her mana draining. Her body trembles as her breathing become rougher with each passing second. She clenches her teeth, trying to keep her breathing under control.

They must defeat the Blood Demon before she exhausts herself and dies as a result.

"All I want is to break the chains that bind humanity!" Raia growls, trying to buy time to catch her breath.

Eliminate.

Loki raises an eyebrow at her, still licking the blade like a cat.

"Darkness is turning humans into weapons they don't want to be," Raia continues.

Loki blinks several times. His ginger hair gleams like gold in the light from the lanterns. He then cackles like a deranged lunatic as if everything Raia said was amusing.

"Don't judge too quickly, kid. You don't know what you're talking about," Loki says, shaking his head. "Chains? Weapons? Just so you know, we only respond to their deepest desires. You disciples of Light are the ones interfering with their choices. You always take away their freedom to choose!"

Raia stiffens. Freedom?

Loki leaps forward and punches her in the stomach, knocking her out. Raia slams into the tables, gasping in surprise.

Loki saunters over to Raiden, who is still slumped on the ground, seemingly lost. The disciple's golden eyes are as pale as the dead woman.

"Please look after Kara."

Cyrus's words echo in Raia's mind as she watches the Blood Demon kneel before her wounded comrade. She picks herself up, groaning in pain.

"You're such a pity," Loki says, but Raiden remains motionless. "Are you certain you're heroes? From what I can tell, you have been abandoned by the God you look up to. He made you a warrior to clean up the world's mess. And now you're a mess as a result of the burden he bestowed upon you. You disciples are nothing more than pawns -"

"Cypress," Raiden says quietly, and his broadsword emerges in his hand. He thrusts the blade into Loki's chest without a second's hesitation.


0