Chapter 3: A Troubled Awakening
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In case it wasn't clear, I came up with the yellow eyes thing from Tales of Berseria's main character, Velvet Crowe as she has yellow eyes and a claw for a hand, so I gave them two clawed hands. Who knows I might end up including another idea from Tales in this story down the line.

Also as always there are a few warnings for this chapter, this includes

  • Dead Bodies
  • Violence
  • Physical Injury

 

The next day, Asuka would awaken and just stand at the window to her view of the lower garden, sighing contently as she would hear that breakfast was ready now. Getting dressed in her casual clothes, she would hurry downstairs as on the radio it was being reported on the radio there was a murder of one of the local temple priests last night in Mikazuki Temple as Hikari would hear this along with Asuka and their father, Akari had gone out for a walk like she normally did every Sunday morning as she often liked nature hikes on the weekend.

"That's terrible, I was just up there a few days ago to help the priests and supply them with new kitchen tools" Their father would mention as he sighed, hoping everything was alright as he would finish up his coffee now, heading to his office to get a few things before departing for the day.

"Maybe we should go pay our respects to the priests at the temple, Hikari what do you think?" Asuka asked as she would look to her sister now as Hikari would agree.

"You're right, but we should tread lightly as that place is still an active crime scene, now finish your breakfast silly and we'll go" Hikari stated as she would playfully mess up Asuka's bed head hair as she giggled now, poking her sister's cheek playfully in return as Asuka quickly finished up her meal now, heading upstairs to her room to change, trying to decide on what to wear today like normal as she would end up choosing a cute long cut skirt and knee high boots, with a nice dress shirt to go with it. Looking herself over in the mirror as she smiled happily, thinking this wasn't half bad as she twirled around in her cute clothes.

"Hikari!, you ready yet?" Asuka called out in the hallway as Hikari opened her door, peeking her head out of the door, still changing now as she sighed.

"What do you think silly, I'm not ready yet I'll let you know okay?" Hikari closed the door to her room now as she would keep her sibling waiting for a good few minutes as Hikari came out in this matching skirt/shirt combo that made her look super elegant now, smiling at Asuka as she would be impressed at her sister's coordination for clothing.

"Wow Asuka, you don't look half bad in that" Hikari complimented as she giggled and would walk downstairs, seeing that it was rather nice outside today, sunny with a bit of clouds as Hikari would leave a note for their father and Akari to tell where they had gone, making their way to Mikazuki Temple now which was on the edge of town. Eventually crossing the middle of town, Asuka would point out the cute little teddy bear shop that Melody had pointed out earlier last week.

"That's the place with all of the adorable looking teddy bears that Mel told me about, can we get one on the way back please?" Asuka would give her sibling the most adorable puppy dog eyes now as she had this quivering lip too, Hikari sighing and giving into her sister's cuteness as she shook her head.

"Very well, but on the way back only" Hikari mentioned as Asuka silently cheered now internally and would have this cute little grin on her face, as she had gotten her way today. Eventually arriving at the temple steps now, Hikari and Asuka would take their time up the steps and cross through the gate to the temple. Reaching the temple grounds, Asuka would pay her respects to the deceased now as she bowed her head, clapping her hands twice and praying that the priest's soul finds salvation in the afterlife. Meanwhile Hikari was discussing things with another priest on the grounds as she was told about a strange thing in the kitchen storeroom he found the other night.

"Show me, please" Hikari asked as she would get Asuka and the two went to the kitchen storeroom together with the priest, seeing another deceased body hidden in the shadows as Asuka gasped, closing her eyes and all three would begin a silent prayer for this poor soul, the priest then running off to report it to the police who had apparently missed this as the area was quickly cordoned off for investigation, Asuka looking around now as she tapped into her hidden abilities, sniffing the air now.

"Something's here, something not human" Asuka whispered to her sister as she would admit this upon discovering it, her senses awakening for the first time completely naturally.

As the two were looking around now, Hikari would hear a branch snap nearby as she turned her head to see a strange figure clad in black approaching them, with yellow eyes. It revealed it's hands were also talon like in nature, as the cops all surrounded it pointing their firearms at it, but were all quickly tossed aside by this figure's first attack, injuring but not killing them.

"ASUKA!!!" The figure yelled out as Asuka suddenly gasped now, hearing her name as she would confront the beast face to face, it revealing it's face now, black hair, yellow eyes and a evil grin on it's lips as it would be her mother in the flesh. Having smelled her child, she would step closer slowly now, growling and snarling like a beast as Asuka stood her ground.

"Mother.." She spoke softly as she saw her mother for the first time in her life, crossing her arms now across her chest as she would not be afraid of her own mother.

"My...darling...Asuka..." She stepped over to Asuka now, her talon like hand touching Asuka's cheek as Hikari would try to interfere, getting sent back by a mere glance of Asuka's mother, getting knocked head first into the tree but only getting knocked out cold. Her talon, icy cold hand would touch her child's cheek now, softly caressing it.

"Mother.." She sniffled now as she would take her hand, knowing her mother was still in there, as she could still feel her mother's soul clinging to this beast, looking into her eyes as for a brief second they turned human for Asuka to see those beautiful baby blue eyes of her mothers.

The moment lasted a few seconds longer as Clara's human side was clearly visibly in there, clinging to the love for her child as she would be quickly interrupted by Miyuki who launched a trio of ninja stars at her, getting Asuka out of there as well as Hikari with a quick smoke bomb as she had hidden herself in the shadows, waiting for a time to strike now. The rest of the temple was evacuated by the rest of her ninja clan, leaving the demon Clara there roaring in disgust as her moment with her daughter had been taken from her, growing angry again and retreating into the woods upon hearing the arrival of the SWAT team.

Asuka quietly looked to Miyuki who saved her, as she would just remain quiet, more concerned about her sister who was unconscious now still, Miyuki simply nodding, saluting her and disappearing with a vanishing smoke bomb now, as it appears Asuka had a guardian angel watching over her.

"Big Sis!" Asuka shook her sister gently now as they were a good mile away from the temple now, trying to wake her up as Hikari ended up groaning awake, holding her head.

"W-What happened, Sis?" Hikari asked as she looked around quickly realizing that they were no longer at the temple, questioning how they could get so far without much difficulty.

'You can thank Miyuki for that, she saved us both, though she's too stubborn to be thanked it seems as she's long gone now" Asuka stated as she would explain what happened after her sis got knocked out, telling her that Miyuki swooped in to distract the beast and managed to spirit the both of them away in the nick of time. Hikari slowly getting up now as she would be helped by her sibling, seeing police cars cordoned off the area now as the temple was under heavy investigation by the local authorities now.

"Father isn't gonna believe us when we get home, that's for sure." Hikari spoke aloud as down the street it seemed that Melody had been out and about today.

"Heey!!" Melody shouted as she ran over to Asuka and Hikari now, having been on a errand for her family.

"You see all the police cars and stuff near the temple, weird huh?" Melody stated as she would walk with the two of them, as Asuka and Melody ended up chatting away like usual, Hikari going on ahead home now to speak with their father about this, excusing herself now as the two walked on ahead now, holding hands like usual.

"So I guess this is where we part ways today huh?" Asuka asked as they stopped in front of Melody's house, Melody giggling now as she would always love to see her best friend, giving Asuka a quick kiss on the cheek now as she smiled.

"Yes, I better go, my father is waiting for me Asuka, it was very nice seeing you today, I'll see you on the way to school tomorrow like always?" Melody asked now as Asuka nodded, hugging her best friend and waving goodbye for the afternoon, as Melody ran inside her home, being greeted by her father who was standing at the door waiting for her.

Quietly walking home, Asuka would be stopped by Miyuki now who stood in her way, arms crossed across her chest now as she had this stern look on her face

"Lady Asuka, I shouldn't have had to do that you know" Miyuki clearly stated as Asuka would bow, thanking her now for her timely rescue as it was clear Miyuki has been hunting her mother for many years.

"You don't get it do you, I wasn't there to save you I was there to hunt your mother down, you just got in my way dammit" Miyuki would walk over to Asuka now, slapping her across the face for her blind arrogance now, as she would hear a chuckle from Asuka now, whom was laughing about this, her eyes turned yellow in front of Miyuki now as she took Miyuki's hand and snapped it like a twig, all for that slap.

"It's hilarious, you think you can defeat my mother when you can't even handle me.." Asuka would laugh pitying her now as Miyuki would gasp in shock, feeling the entire breakage of her wrist and hand like it was absolutely nothing to Asuka. The girl standing in front of Miyuki had awakened her powers fully now after her encounter with her mother, fully able to control them at will now as she would look down to the ninja.

"The only ones who can kill demons are demons, you can harm demons but you can't finish them off as it takes a weapon stronger then steel to kill them, you must have a dark malice in your heart and the urge to kill on command" Asuka explained as she would take Miyuki's wrist, snapping it back into place, repairing the damage she had done just as easily as Miyuki backed away in horror.

"W-what are you, you're not human.." Miyuki spoke as she was terrified of this girl in front of her, drawing her sword to defend herself now as Asuka would step forward, tilting her toy of a weapon to the side as she would lean down, whispering "I'm that demon's daughter, remember?" as she began to laugh manically, Miyuki vanishing with a quick smoke bomb now as she was terrified of what Asuka had fully become. Asuka walking home now completely normal, as she had returned to her human self just as easily, the yellow eyes fading away and her brown irises returned, entering her home again as she called out "I'm Home!!" and closed the door behind her, taking off her jacket and hanging it up.

It seems Asuka has fully realized her abilities thanks to that encounter with her now demonic mother, but whose side is she fighting for, the humans or her own? Has Miyuki been fighting for the right cause and will she realize that Asuka is not her enemy? All these questions and more potentially answered in "Chapter 4: The Field Trip"

0