042 – She, Who Forgets
274 5 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
042 - She, Who Forgets

 

Spoiler

Special thanks to Bersleid for sharing his idea for the title in previous chapter and for the constructive review as well

[collapse]

Well, well, it seemed like it was going to be an interesting story, but the truth is I can't just focus on Leaf Liza.

To be frank, no matter how much we talk, it's pointless until the injuries of the cat beastman merchant are somewhat healed, whether here or there.

Once the injuries are healed, Leaf will leave the village and return to the knees of King Lion Randall, although I don't know how prosperous a place it is.

"Do as you please," I said. However, I warned them that if they intend to make enemies, I won't show mercy or hesitate, and I'll do whatever it takes against them, even if it's unfair.

Well, setting that aside...

I've been preoccupied with dealing with the "Anti-Lion Alliance" led by the werewolf beastmen for a while, and due to the post-war situation, the matters of the Sutin village and settlement on the demon realm's border have been somewhat neglected. So finally, it's time to focus on those matters.

Honestly, I find it more enjoyable to watch the village, fields, horses, and cows while perched on Montego's shoulder, hitting his head lightly, than to engage in war. I even wish to stay in this peace forever, although I know it won't come true.


Regarding the newly joined Lizardmen, Baboon Tribe, and Shamal Tribe of Kobolds, I was practically hands-off. Well, not entirely hands-off, but I didn't give them any specific instructions.

First, the Lizardmen, including Astra Ignia and several others.

It's more accurate to say they've aligned themselves with me, Euphemia Grimwood rather than with Junos' "Grimoire."

They are a warrior clan, and Astra, the strongest warrior of the Ignia tribe, acknowledged Junos Grimoire. That's the most important thing, and there's no need for my interference. If anything, Junos and the others simply agree with my intentions.

As for what the Lizardmen are doing, it seems they've been assigned along the river in the demon realm.

"Assigned along the river"? I can come up with some wonderful questions about that, but the fact is, they are incredibly skilled at swimming.

...no, that's not quite the right way to put it.

They don't lose their performance in the water - that's a better way to describe it.

For ordinary land creatures, being in flowing water up to their knees restricts their movement. That's natural.

However, it's not the case for Lizardmen. Even when half-submerged in flowing water, their performance doesn't decrease at all. This advantage is quite significant.

The river near the settlement is nearly ten meters wide, and the flow gets rapid in some places - well, even if the flow isn't rapid, I get swept away. In any case, it's a bit of a challenge in exploring the demon realm's border.

With that issue resolved, the precision, range, and smoothness of the exploration have been significantly improved.

"We, Grimoire, joined. Euphemia Grimwood, Grimoire, different. But, Grimoire, Euphemia, like. Understand?"

That's what Astra, the strongest warrior of the Ignia tribe, says.

If I were to ask her, "Then what about you?"

"I'm weak, but strong. Like us. Respect."

That's what she says.

Their reptilian faces make it hard to read their expressions, but they're honest folks.

Next, the Baboon Tribe.

They are, how should I put it... talking baboons.

They have a habitat in the forest and, having been attacked by the "Anti-Lion Alliance," surrendered and were forced to join the Alliance's forces. It seems there were quite a few with similar circumstances.

So.

The few Baboon Tribe members who managed to avoid serious injuries from the dust explosions and stone throwing by catapults ended up aligning themselves with Grimoire demons. Their virtue lies in their lack of resentment.

We've killed quite a few of their fellow tribe members. That's just how battles go. The Baboon Tribe also understands and feels that "that's just how battles go."

Their racial characteristic lies in their freedom in the forest.

Being baboons, they naturally perform better in wooded areas. While Junos and the Grimoire demons excel in combat prowess, it seems the Baboon Tribe has the upper hand in forest mobility alone. They move three-dimensionally in wooded areas.

"We still don't know much about Lady Euphemia. But it's clear she's much better than the 'Anti-Lion Alliance.' Lady Euphemia probably won't disappoint us," they said, adding pressure.

Well, in any case, I have no intention of enslaving anyone, no matter who we consider allies.

So, they also contributed to the exploration and development of the demon realm.

Now, with the orcs and minotaurs who were previously exploring the demon realm's thick forest available, they could return to farming or whatever they were originally suited for, and the dwarves who were short-handed could allocate manpower to Dubil.

Numbers are power. Let me, the immortal, affirm that. Numbers are power. Or rather, effectively utilized numbers are, should I say.

Next, the Shamal Tribe of Kobolds.

They were persuaded by the Polo Tribe and chose to join us.

Originally, the Shamal Tribe, like the Baboon Tribe, were invaded by the "Anti-Lion Alliance" and were used as more of slaves or meat-shields, it seems. Unlike the Baboon Tribe, they weren't as "unresistant."

"Why did this happen to us?"

Everyone thinks that. It's rare to be as accepting as the Baboon Tribe or Lizardmen, and I don't disdain the Shamal Tribe for feeling that way. That empathy is important. I believe they've experienced enough of the misery that leads one to feel that way. It's not my place to comment on what contributed to that, though.

By the way, the Shamal Tribe resembles Papillon dogs in appearance.

The sight of Polo Tribe, resembling Chihuahuas, consoling the grieving Shamal Tribe might have made even, me, Euphemia Grimwood, the most adorable girl who loves cute things, heart-flutteringly cute, but let's keep that between us.

Anyway...

The Shamal Tribe, persuaded by the Polo Tribe, joined us. They proved to be quite skilled as Kobolds, and they worked very well in any location they were placed in.

"We... don't know if we can forgive you. But for now, we're grateful to be here. There were times when we thought death might be better... but we didn't want to die."

That was quite a heavy statement, but indeed, matters of life and death are heavy.

I have no intention of carrying the burden of another person's life entirely, but I'm aware that my decisions and actions can determine the fate of others. Apart from excess, I understand that much.

And—being bound by that, there's nothing else to do.

Determine the fate of others?

If you get involved with others, it's only natural.

Those who let themselves be influenced by others also bear responsibility.

That feeling of acceptance, that's about half of it.

The other half? Well, "serves them right."

But that's all right.

Days passed by, and it seems Grimoire has also developed.

Well, considering how rapidly we were clearing the forest for the exploration of the demon realm from the beginning, in terms of development, it was quite significant from the start, but still, compared to the initial state, it's considerable "development."

Sutin Village, originally an Orc village, hasn't been altered much, but the demon realm side across the hill from Sutin Village has already been quite well developed as farmland, and thanks to frequent trips by the Bernard tribe's carriages, makeshift roads have been established.

The Torus Tribe of bovine beastmen is engaged in dairy farming, and they've also become capable of processing dairy products. Crop harvesting will come in the next season, but fortunately, the Orc tribe had sufficient reserves, and hunting in the demon realm has been going smoothly.

At this rate, there shouldn't be any trouble with livelihoods.

Isn't this like a dreamy slow life?

"It was definitely a good decision to leave it to Lady Euphemia," Montego, carrying me on his shoulder, happily remarks.

With Montego standing nearly three meters tall, just walking around on his shoulders makes everything seem enjoyable, so I like to stroll around, calling it "inspection," observing everyone's work. There's no one desperately overworking themselves, nor anyone slacking off from work. If anything, it's okay to slack off occasionally, but everyone seems unable to resist the charm of "development" and is working lively.

"Well, how about it? Because of me, lots of folks ended up dead. Was it still a good decision to leave it to me?" I ask.

"Yeah, it was. If we hadn't left it to Lady Euphemia, everyone would've scattered, swallowed up by that 'Anti-Lion Alliance,' or killed," Montego replies.

"Similar things might happen in the future," I warn.

"Even then, I'm sure everyone would think, 'It was a good decision to leave it to Lady Euphemia.' Probably. I don't know, but that's how I feel," Montego says nonchalantly.

Montego chuckles without any hidden meanings.

Feeling a bit embarrassed, I lightly pat his bald head for no reason.


And then...

Leaf Liza's injuries healed, and she left the village - about twenty days ago.

Jainos Grimoire, the demonkind we dispatched as a liaison to Dubil, the dwarven, hurriedly came to report, and just when Leaf Liza was supposed to have returned to her owner, she came flying back.

"My lady Euphemia. A dungeon has been found in the rocky mountain region," Jainos, the axe-wielder demon reports.

"Lady Euphemia. I've brought my superior... Lady Lex Asuka," Leaf Liza adds.

Two different reports.

Is a slow life just a pipe dream?

"..."

Come to think of it, I didn't really want something like that in the first place.

 

 

 

 

Please click the heart icon (↓)

35