047 – She, Who Watched The Stars
265 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
047 - She, Who Watched The Stars

 

"Since I want to see for myself what it means to be the 'king', I'll accompany you. Treat me with respect as your guest, Lex Asuka."

The next morning, I caught the sleepy lioness and said with a smirk.

But still, Lex's expression hardly changed.

In fact, she seemed even more distant than yesterday. Probably not a morning person.

"Haa... Are you really coming along?"

"Your business is done, right? I've heard your request for cooperation in wanting to kill Lion King Randall. Whether I nod or shake my head, there's not enough information. Unlike you, I can't 'see' things just by listening. So, I need to 'see with my own eyes' to make a judgment."

"So, you mean you need to go and see to make a decision?"

"That's right. As you said, if the Lion King's son is the best fit of becoming the king, then I might feel inclined to cooperate. Or if the Lion King is a despicable scoundrel, then I might also feel inclined to cooperate."

"I see. Understood."

Lex, who almost immediately responded, added with a moment of thought,

"However, we don't have the luxury of provisions or carriages, so you'll have to arrange that on your own."


With that said, various vague instructions were given to Junos and Montego, and the labyrinth conquest was entrusted to Jainos once again. And so, we departed.

We quickly converted one of the Bernard tribe's packhorses into a large box carriage. Thanks to our exploration of the demon territory, there was no shortage of wood, and with the kobolds' craftsmanship, the wood swiftly turned into parts. These were assembled, and provisions and travel goods were prepared for everyone. Preparation complete.

The members—first, myself, Euphemia Grimwood.

For both protection and personal reasons, the fox spirit Serena. To take care of our daily needs, the kobold Pookie Shamal.

He was recently brought into our group as the new chief of the Shamal tribe. His feelings toward me seemed to be a mix of resentment and gratitude, but even if I were to be assassinated while sleeping, it wouldn't cause me much trouble, and so far, the Shamal tribe hadn't been entrusted with any important tasks.

Then there's Tenard from the Bernard tribe.

Come to think of it, there was no one capable of handling a carriage properly. However, taking Alto along would bring many inconveniences since he is the chief leader of the Bernard tribe. So, when I consulted Alto, he suggested, "If it's a journey by carriage, he's the best choice," referring to Tenard.

Once we set off, I quickly understood why Alto recommended him.

Naturally skilled in handling horses, Tenard is very laid-back. He doesn't hesitate or feel pressured around me, Serena, or Pookie. He doesn't make things awkward even when silent—a type of man like that.

Or rather, if anyone's making it awkward, it's Pookie.

Well, it's not particularly awkward for me, but having Pookie, who looks like a Papillon dog plushie, peeking at me with half fear, half caution, is somewhat annoying. I don't have a penchant for sadism.

"If there's something you want to say, go ahead, Pookie. I promise not to get angry, specifically for this time. I try to keep my promises as much as possible."

Inside the relatively stable box carriage, after countless glances over a period of... well, probably just two hours in reality. I don't particularly enjoy the time spent feeling restless while the other party observes me.

"It's not so much something I want to say... It's more like, I find it strange."

With a slight hint of fear and a relieved atmosphere, Pookie says.

"Strange how?"

"Because, why would we go out of our way to meet the Lion King... And, Lady Euphemia, do you intend to cooperate with that lioness?"

"I don't intend to cooperate just yet."

"But if what she says is true, you will cooperate?"

"Well, that would be the case. If I see the Lion King as a despicable person and feel that his son is fit to become the king, then I'm willing to assist in regicide."

"Why though?"

"Why, you ask?"

After hesitating for a moment, taking a few breaths, Pookie continues.

"To be honest, it doesn't concern us, does it? Lady Euphemia isn't a subject of the Lion King, nor an enemy. You're not paying taxes to the Lion King."

"If that's the case, then the 'Anti-Lion Alliance' isn't my enemy either."

"Huh?"

"They came to us, so we fought back. It's only natural. You Shamal tribe members had no choice but to follow because you couldn't resist the werewolf tribe. That's natural too. So, what about now? If Lex Asuka doesn't cooperate, what will happen?"

"I... don't know."

Frowning in confusion, Pookie's ears droop flat against his head. Upon closer inspection, even his tail seems to hang limply, despite usually defying gravity.

Honestly, he's incredibly cute.

But now it seems like he's asking for a serious discussion, so I should focus.

"Listen, Pookie. Things tend to move in a way that if left alone, they'll naturally happen. Fruits fall, water flows downhill. The 'flow' existed even before I entered the territory of the beastfolk. You understand what I mean, right?"

"The 'Anti-Lion Alliance'...?"

His ears perked up. I nodded vigorously.

"Yes, that's right. The goal of the 'Anti-Lion Alliance' is literally to overthrow Lion King Randall. This is something Lex Asuka and I have in common. So, that kind of 'flow' is created. Naturally, Randall will create an opposing flow."

It's a counterattack.

If threatened, anyone would do the same.

Before being swept away by the major 'flow,' we need to stand on the side that creates the 'flow.' If it's a 'flow' that's not worth getting involved in or can't be helped even if we do, then we should leave it alone. But if that's not the case, we can't just leave it alone.

Things move in a way that if left alone, they'll naturally happen.

You can't go against the major flow.

Just like how the Shamal tribe was swept away and swallowed by the 'Anti-Lion Alliance.'

We, too, would be swallowed if the flow is too strong.

So, what do we do?

It's simple. We don't leave it alone.

"Lady Euphemia—"

Pookie's drooping tail lifted, and his gaze turned to me. His sparkling eyes seemed to be fixed straight on me.

"Oh, I see, that's right. Lady Euphemia is Lady Euphemia."

Pookie muttered in understanding, but unfortunately, I didn't quite grasp the meaning.

I am myself. But I don't seem to be delighting in such truisms spewing from my mouth. Rather, I seem incredibly pleased, like finding a break in the clouds after weeks of overcast skies. There's no sense of hiding or deceit.

But still, the meaning eludes me.

So, I proudly puff out my chest and smile.

"Yes, that's right. I am Euphemia Grimwood."

...Next to Pookie, the fox spirit Serena looked slightly exasperated, but I shouldn't mind. I'm a beautiful cute girl who doesn't care.


Anyway, in that kind of atmosphere, we purified the air inside the carriage, and Tenard, the coachman, taught me how to handle the carriage as we journeyed smoothly.

We advanced as much as we could during daylight, camping wherever nightfall found us. If we were lucky enough to catch wild animals on the way, that would be our dinner with a fire made from the wood we brought. If not, it would be time for the preserved food. I don't need to eat, but I don't particularly want to fast, so I hoped we'd do our best to hunt along the way.

By the way, the staple dish for Lex and his men was barley porridge.

It's made by throwing roughly ground wheat into a soup of dried meat and wild vegetables and boiling it into a thick paste.

Frankly, it's disgustingly unappetizing.

So, I taught them how to make somewhat dumplings similar to those in East Asian cultures. It's just mixing water with wheat flour, spreading it thinly, tearing it into pieces, and putting it into the soup. It's slightly better than the gloppy barley porridge.

"I didn't have much interest in meals, but feeling such a clear difference like this, perhaps we should also put effort into this aspect."

Chewing on the wheat dumplings floating in the soup, Lex said.

Although her tone sounded impressed, her expression illuminated by the campfire remained unchanged. Her beast ears, much like Pookie's, didn't give away her emotions as clearly.

"Culture is important. Not just culinary culture."

"That's true. Randall is picky about food, and he's not particularly interested in cooking. He's not interested in paintings, music, or dancing either."

"So, what does the Lion King like?"

"Simple fights, women, and alcohol. He particularly likes the grape wine produced by some snake people. Eating meat, bedding women, drinking alcohol, slaughtering enemies... That's the Lion King."

"From what I'm hearing, he sounds like a mere barbarian."

"You're not wrong."

Lex said without moving her ears, tail, or expression.

Indeed, she nodded, and I glanced around at the others during the camp.

First, Lex's soldiers had already finished their meals and were taking care of their horses and organizing supplies. They're probably good at seeing in the dark because they're cat-like. Likewise, Leaf Liza seemed to be taking care of her horse. Tenard was doing the same.

If I shifted my gaze slightly to the side, I could see the mountain cat Nova, who serves Lex, and the fox spirit Serena talking quietly. Pookie the kobold seemed to be organizing luggage inside the carriage.

I sighed softly and then turned my gaze upwards.

In the clear black sky, countless stars twinkled.

It looked like thousands of indifferent applause or the gazes of billions of spirits. Observing us from a distant place where our reach couldn't extend.

Whether they're beasts, humans, or demons—whether they're stars.

I couldn't care less, they're beautiful.

That's what I thought.

25