050 – She, Who Traversed Beast King’s City
257 5 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The endless countryside landscape came to an end, and a proper town appeared, gradually transforming into a city and eventually moving towards the urban area. However, it wasn't like the townscape of the Louisse Kingdom where I was born and raised, like the Grimwood territory. It was a city of beastmen, created by and for beastmen. Their culture, lifestyle, and of course, architectural styles were different.

In the Louisse Kingdom, houses and small shops were mostly wooden, while inns and larger buildings—such as noble residences and villas—were made of stone or brick. As the city grew larger, stone paving was laid out to accommodate several carriages passing through.

As the city prospered, buildings became closer together and taller. For instance, in the Louisse Kingdom's capital, hardly any single-story buildings could be found.

On the other hand, the Beast King's city—

"It's mostly single-story, huh. Made of wood, with mostly flat roofs. Must be because it doesn't snow around here," I muttered as I gazed out the window.

My traveling companion, the fox spirit Serena, who was sitting across from me and looking out the window as well, turned her gaze towards me and smirked. It wasn't a smile, but rather an expression that I couldn't quite decipher.

"What's got you so sudden?" she asked.

"I was just expressing my thoughts since it's my first time seeing a city of beastmen. It's quite different from cities made by humans," I replied.

"What are human cities like?" asked Pookie, the kobold.

I briefly explained what I had just thought, which helped me organize my own thoughts.

"In other words—beastmen are far behind humans in terms of culture and technology."

Why? The answer is simple: they don't need it.

"Hmph. So, to humans, our way of life seems barbaric, doesn't it?" Serena said, in a self-deprecating yet somewhat accusatory tone.

"That's not so simple. While it may seem barbaric, there are clear differences between us and the barbarians of the human race... like bandits or thief gangs, for example. The beastmen are strong."

It's a simple matter.

A village of kobolds might easily fall prey to local bandits, but if they were to attack a village of minotaurs, they would likely be swiftly defeated. Armed bandits versus unarmed villagers.

Fundamental differences in culture.

That's probably where the problem lies. Because even so, if humans and beastmen were to fight, humans would win.

Lex Asuka probably knows this. She's aware of it. And Lion King Randal, he doesn't care to know.


The castle where the Lion King resides... the royal castle... palace? Well, the term doesn't matter. Anyway, Randall's castle wasn't particularly tall.

Though it wasn't a single-story structure, it was much lower in height compared to the castles where Louisse nobles reside. Still, surrounded by mostly single-story buildings, it appeared relatively tall, perhaps three stories at most... with the third story being more decorative, it seemed.

As for the exterior impression, it resembled religious buildings in Southeast Asia... maybe.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable about buildings in that area, but it wasn't East Asian-style, nor did it have a Middle Eastern vibe, nor was it Western-style, so I just felt that way. It seemed like the kind of place where they might hold a "lively funeral".

This place made me think where is the coffin was.


As for its size, I wonder how big it is. While the building itself was smaller than a noble's castle, the grounds seemed larger. There wasn't the concept of "first bailey, second bailey," but rather... yes, it felt more like the grounds of a university.

The most conspicuous feature was the royal castle itself, surrounded by other buildings, trees, and even springs. A wall encircled the grounds, but it was merely a fence, serving more as a boundary marker than a defensive structure.

Our group, along with Lex Asuka's entourage, disembarked from the carriage upon entering the grounds and were guided to nearby buildings. We were led to what seemed like barracks, probably where soldiers stay. It wasn't particularly large, but certainly not cramped.

"Return to your usual duties. Lady Euphemia, come this way. Nova, contact His Highness Brandon. Bring them to my workshop," Lex instructed her subordinates in a somewhat dismissive tone, and then led us deeper inside with a gesture.

The barracks corridor was reasonably long but didn't feel claustrophobic, thanks to the open windows without glass.

"This is the barracks for ordinary soldiers. Will you need assistance with your carriage, Lady Euphemia?" one of Lex's subordinates asked.

"It's no concern of mine. We can't handle it here, so leave it to you. I trust you enough for that," I added a needless remark, but Lex's expression remained unchanged.

Whether she realized I didn't actually trust her, or she simply wasn't moved by my words, or perhaps she had feelings but didn't show them—


It's a point of concern, but what really bothered me was the part of Lex Asuka walking beside me.

Lex was about the same height as me.

But—yet, she was swaying.

With each step, a sway.

With each step forward, a sway, sway.

A sleeve that can't flutter.

Let me, Euphemia Grimwood, say this.

A chest that doesn't sway.

...It's not like it matters, though.


Regardless, for now, they were directed to the dormitory and provided with a suitable meal in what seemed to be the soldiers' dining area. The menu consisted of some stewed beans and some roughly grilled meat.

That's it.

I thought they stayed overnight in town for that purpose, but upon reflection, this was typical behavior for Lady Euphemia. It wasn't the perspective of the beastmen.


Honestly, hospitality wasn't really necessary.

I was only interested in how Lex would react.

"I was thinking on the way... Do you remember the explanation I gave to the soldiers yesterday about the woman accompanying me?"

"It was, 'She is Euphemia Grimwood. Although she is of human descent, she oversees a village of beastmen at the edge of the beastmen's territory,' wasn't it?"

Serena repeated every word without a hint of surprise.

"I told my subordinates to treat her respectfully as she has agreed to cooperate, but I'll omit that part for others and explain it the same way. There's no point in small lies, and it's not amusing to expose flaws unnecessarily."

"I see."

"There shouldn't be any particular issue with Lady Euphemia being of human descent but overseeing a village of beastmen. Randall doesn't care anyway. Lady Euphemia will have the opportunity to 'see' Randall in due course, but before that..."

"It's about the 'usurption,'" Serena interjected.

I didn't say anything else. Using the term here would be foolish. I can't guarantee I'm not a fool, but I won't deliberately make a fool of myself.

"Yes. I've already informed my subordinates. Once the meal is finished... Ah."

Mid-sentence, Lex dropped the spoon she was using to scoop up the stewed beans and froze, as if her battery had run out. I might have thought about hitting her to fix her. But when I followed Lex's gaze and turned to look behind me, I understood the reason for her pause.

The plan had been disrupted.

"You're back, Lex. Is that the woman in question?"

The man who should have been waiting in Lex's workshop was standing there, slightly out of breath.

The word "dashing" suited him well.

As he was the son of the Lion King, he was probably a lion beastman. His beastliness was similar to Serena and Lex... in other words, almost human. He had more hair on his ears and his hair was a mix of dark brown and golden, and his sharp gaze conveyed sincerity without reservation. He probably wouldn't tell blatant lies to others.

He was tall. Of course, he wasn't three meters tall like an orc, but he was probably over 180 centimeters. His physique was sturdier than Junos's, but slightly slimmer than the ax-wielding Jainos. If Jainos was a muscular bodybuilder, this man had the muscular build of a track and field athlete.

"My apologies for the delayed report of my return, Lord Brandon," she said.

Brandon Kruger.

The son of the Lion King, Randall, as described by Lex Asuka, the "next king."

24