052 – Interlude: Luche Rubia I
184 2 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Luche Rubia is a rabbit beastman.

She is twenty-two years old this year, the strongest and fastest female rabbit in the Rubia clan, serving as a member of King Randall's personal guard in the capital.

Her duties are complex yet straightforward.

Because Lion King Randall rarely gives orders, and when he does, they are hardly what one would call commands. It's been five years since she took over the guard from her predecessor, yet the number of times Randall has given orders can be counted on one hand.

Most of them involved exterminating various races.

Luche, along with the other guards, has exterminated several seemingly weak races. It's all because of orders. Otherwise, the Lion King might view the Rubia clan as enemies. Randall was that kind of man.

Simply put, he was just strong. That's why Randall Kruger reigns as the king of the beastmen. Every clan under his rule follows him— or rather, they don't want to be destroyed, so they obey the Lion King. They follow the strong. That's the logic of beasts.

For beastmen, it was a straightforward principle.

The only reason the beastmen's nation manages to maintain its facade is primarily due to Randall's strength and, secondly, because of the Lion King's exceptional intellect. Lioness tribe woman, Lex Asuka.

It's because she's been entrusted with full authority by Randall and manages half of the politics that the beastmen haven't fallen into chaos.

Luche may not understand the intricacies, but in the five years since becoming a guard, she's listened to Lex Asuka's instructions far more times than Randall's orders. And those instructions weren't about exterminating non-threatening races.


On a certain day in her third year as a guard.

Following Lex's instructions, Luche headed to a southern settlement. It was the village of the Elephant Beastmen, Niresto. An opponent Randall unusually didn't use "invasion" as a means.

However, the Lion King doesn't negotiate. The only thing the Lion King uses is violence.

Elephant beastmen are known for their large bodies, strength, and relatively calm demeanor, but they're famous for their fierce counterattacks. Although slightly shorter than orcs on average, one elephant beastman warrior can kill ten orcs, making them one of the strongest race.

Randall casually stopped by their settlement and playfully beat up some elephant beastmen. Luche and the others just watched.

They understood that, thanks to Lex Asuka's negotiation, they came under Randall's command. Otherwise, Randall might have wiped out the village of elephant beastmen while still in a playful mood. The elephant beastmen understood that too.

Faced with overwhelming violence, there was no choice but to obey.

And— Luche met the Lion King's son.

No, it's not accurate to say she met him.

In the first place, when she became a member of Randall's personal guard, she had already met the Lion King's family. Randall had many sons and daughters and never had a wife. Their mothers were merely women who had been forced to accompany Randall in his playful moods; the Lion King had no intention of having a queen. He even didn't know Lex Asuka was one of his daughters.

But that's why— it could be said that it was the first time they "met."

The fourth son of the Lion King, Brandon Kruger.

That night, after witnessing the Lion King's tyranny in the village of elephant beastmen and unable to sleep, wandering outside the village, she encountered him doing the same.

Under the round moonlight, the Lion King's son spoke.

"I'm planning to kill my old man."

Boldly, without shame, as if it were a matter of course. With the strength to tear apart flesh with sharp teeth. The king's son gave Luche the words she desired.


The human girl was dazzlingly blond, slender, and exuded an oddly misplaced confidence.

"I'm Euphemia Grimwood. Whether we'll get along or not, let's decide later, shall we? Anyway, hello."

Standing up from her chair and looking around at Luche and the others one by one, the one who introduced herself as Euphemia smiled smugly and proudly puffed out her thin chest.

Even Luche, a woman herself, felt slightly intimidated, sensing a different kind of "radiance" from Brandon's.

That was her first thought. And at the same time, she thought this.

Ah, killing this girl would be easy.

Drawing the curved sword from her waist and closing the distance with a single leap, swinging it down casually would be the end of it. The opponent's skill level can be discerned to some extent once you have a certain level of expertise. Moreover, Luche was the strongest and fastest female rabbit in her clan. She understood that Euphemia Grimwood had no combat ability the moment she stood up.

"...What about her?"

The natural question came from Bruno, the great eagle man. He was the eldest in the guard and led many bird people. Relatively close to humans among the bird people, he was a person with high combat abilities.

His raptor-like gaze usually revealed little emotion, but now it clearly showed bewilderment.

That's right, Luche and the others were gathered in Lex Asuka's strategy room.

Nellest of the elephant beastmen, Bruno of the great eagle people, Lil, the female warrior of the werewolf beastmen, and Luche. These four are members of Randall's personal guard, but they are also comrades of Brandon Kruger.

In other words, these four and Lex Asuka are trying to kill Randall Kruger and make Brandon the king. Kill the king and make Brandon the king. That's their goal.

In such a place... what on earth is a frail human girl doing? To the question raised by Luche and the others, Lex answered.

"I am considering enlisting Euphemia Grimwood as an ally."

With her usual calm expression, her ears atop her head didn't twitch in the slightest. It wasn't that all members of the lion tribe were expressionless like Lex. Lex Asuka was simply unique.

She had been following Randall far longer and far more deeply than Luche. The question of why was too pointless. Violence was the backdrop. Overwhelming power was everything. Anything else was unnecessary in the world of beasts.

"She oversees a village of orcs near the edge of the beastmen's territory, close to the cursed land of demons. Shall we ask the fox people over there for details?"

Having spent over a decade at the Lion King's side with violence looming over her back, the leopardess spoke as if it were natural, then glanced towards Brandon on the opposite side.

There, a fox woman was present.

With long silver hair, white fox ears, sapphire eyes, and lips as red as blood. And six white tails.

It wasn't until prompted by Lex that they noticed her presence—likely due to an illusion skill mastered by fox people. Otherwise, there was no reason they wouldn't have noticed the kobold and canine beastmen standing so close to the seemingly intimidating fox woman.

"Don't be so tense. I didn't come here to oppose you."

With grace and a hint of mischief, the fox woman spoke.

"I am Serena. One of the fox people, long dissolved as a tribe. Most of you probably don't remember me... But the great eagle person there has been near the Lion King for quite some time. Do you remember me?"

"Serena the fox spirit."

His feathers on his back trembled ever so slightly and Bruno nodded succinctly.

"I don't know."

Muttered Nellest, the elephant beastman. Lil, the werewolf girl, silently agreed. Of course, Luche did too. The name Serena the fox spirit didn't ring a bell.

"What, I thought you were famous."

Euphemia teased with a smirk. It was a different smile from the dazzling one she had shown to Luche earlier, more mischievous, yet far more charming.

It felt like being drawn towards her.

Because... that side seemed terribly fun.

"It's been more than ten years since I was exiled. The lineup among Kitsunes has naturally changed since then. And I didn't find Randall's lap particularly comfortable."

She chuckled.

Sarcastic, yet somehow enjoyable.

That's what Luche thought.

"I know you were sent to the frontier by Randall's judgment long before that. So, what's the deal with that girl? What's the situation?"

"I've been protecting the frontier as commanded by that beast king endlessly. I'd like to say there were various events, but there were hardly any. And then, not long ago, she appeared. Euphemia Grimwood couldn't stay in human territory, so she crossed the cursed land and reached the beastmen's territory. And then she became my neighbor."

"This girl crossed the cursed land?"

Bruno questioned in disbelief. His muscular trunk wiggled in the middle of his large face, not so much suspicious as unable to comprehend.

"Yeah, that's right. And shortly after, we were asked for help by a nearby orc village. You know about them, right? The 'Anti-Lion Alliance' or whatever, centered around a werewolf tribe."

Of course, they knew. It was common knowledge among the royal guards. There was a group far away from the capital, aiming for Randall's head... And probably, they were useless. This had been discussed several times in this strategy meeting room with Lex Asuka.

Currently, the only option seemed to be to ignore the 'Anti-Lion Alliance'.

"I, a weakling, was caught up with those mongrels."

She chuckled again.

Why was it so funny? Luche couldn't understand.

"...And did that girl help?"

Nellest finally spoke up. His large face, typical of elephant beastmen, with a long nose protruding from the middle, swayed gently. Not so much suspicious as unable to understand.

"Yeah, that's right. That feeble and powerless human girl saved me and the orc tribe. The orcs are infatuated with Euphemia. They're expanding their fields, building houses, and happily walking with Euphemia on their shoulders."

"... ... ... ... ... ..."

It was hard to believe. But if Lex Asuka, who had brought Euphemia Grimwood here, was considering her, it must be true. After all, she had gone to confirm it with her own eyes.

"So, what are you going to do, bringing that human brat here to cooperate?"

It was Lil who finally opened her mouth. Her tone of exasperation wasn't so much about Lex bringing her here as it was about her own low opinion of Euphemia, based on what she had seen.

Bringing such a weak human here, what's the point?

It was the correct value judgment for beastmen.

Or so it should have been—this was what made Luche feel uncomfortable.

They were trying to overthrow Randall Kruger, who had the correct values. A lion king much stronger than themselves.

"Those people are unclear about everything."

With a deliberate laugh, Euphemia sat back in her chair as if she had had enough of boasting, then leaned her elbows on the large desk and looked around at everyone present.

Brandon, who hadn't said a word yet, Lex Asuka, the great eagle man Bruno, Nellest the elephant man, Lil the wolf girl, and Luche.

Ah—suddenly, she realized.

She had intended to scrutinize. Lex had brought the human girl here, and they were supposed to assess her.

But somehow, Euphemia seemed to be assessing them instead.

"I came to 'see' with my own eyes. What kind of person is the Lion King's son, whom Lex Asuka calls the 'next king.' What kind of people are those who follow the 'next king.' And what kind of person is the Lion King, Randall Kruger, whom you all want to kill. You've seen them. There's probably more to see, but well, at least, you've seen."

Well then, what's next?

With the ease of someone going for a stroll in the nearby plains.

With her sparkling golden hair swaying, Euphemia Grimwood said.

"Introduce me to Randall. Let's see what he's like, shall we?"


After receiving some fair feedback on my newest book 'Athena In Tower Defense Game,' which I published both on Scribblehub and Royalroad, I am happy to inform you all that I will be posting the next two chapters shortly. Just wait within an hour or two, proofread is a must. Oh, don't forget to click the heart icon, thanks

23