Chapter 27 – Of destiny I
106 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was surprised that it had taken Abby so long to prepare lunch that day, as she had ended up just cooking fish and chips. 
"Baked fresh for you in oil," she said with a big grin on her face, "I hope you like it."
"It's fish and chips. I doubt you could mess up a simple dish like that," I said amusedly, and as I was really hungry by now, I wolfed down my lunch. To my surprise, Cáit was a little more reserved. 
"Let me guess - you don't like fish," I giggled and Cáit made a face, "I wouldn't say I don't like fish. But Abby knows very well that I could do without it. But at least the chips are tasty."
I'd noticed that Cáit was generally quite picky about what she ate, as long as it wasn't sweets - but I was a little surprised that Cáit, who spent all day shoveling rubbish into her stomach, had a problem with fast food. 
"If you don't like it, why do you eat it?" I asked, a little confused, and Cáit muttered, "Because wasting food is a bad thing. I was taught that at the orphanage and I still stick to it. And Abby sometimes gets a kick out of it and deliberately cooks things I don't like".
I have to admit that I found this quite funny, especially as Abby was actually very considerate and had once asked me if there were things I wasn't allowed to eat. So it's not like she's putting food in front of people that they would have an allergic reaction to.
"I can't say you're wrong," Abby giggled, before adding more seriously, "But I actually wanted to try something new. Unfortunately, it didn't work out so well. That's why I had to improvise and that's why it took me so long to cook today."
To explain: Abby did her best to prepare food for everyone in the mansion. However, as she was alone in the kitchen most of the time, she made the same food for everyone.

After lunch, Cáit made a quick trip to her room to get her item bag and then we went out into the street. We didn't go to the city centre, though, but to a slightly poorer area in Dubstep. You could tell by the dirt lying around and the buildings in need of renovation. We also saw more and more people in tattered and dirty clothes.
"Do you want to start telling me where we're going? I'm getting a bit queasy here," I asked Cáit, but she just took my hand and shook her head, "Just trust me and let me surprise you.”
About ten minutes later we were standing in front of a large building that had definitely seen better days. 
"Here we are, this is where I grew up," Cáit smiled and I looked at her in confusion. It took me a few moments to realise that we were standing in front of the orphanage.

"What are we doing here?" I asked, still confused, but Cáit just said, "I'm here to earn money. If we really have to travel to Redgate in the next few days, then unfortunately I need to prepare potions and medicine for the next few weeks in advance."
"And you brought me along to show me that this isn't a terrible place," I muttered, but Cáit shook her head in surprise, "I’m sure you know that deep down. And think about it - I probably wouldn't be the person I am today if this was a bad place. To be honest, I have a small request to ask of you. I need you to fix something for me.”
"If that's all? No problem," I grinned, "But please promise me that your small request isn't the whole building."
Cáit burst out laughing, and after she had calmed down, she just said, "You're sweet. As if I could ever repay you.”

We had just entered the building when a group of children ran towards us and gathered around Cáit, "Auntie Cáit, tell us about your latest adventures. We missed you last week."
"Not today, my little ones," Cáit smiled, seeming to enjoy the children's attention, "Next time I'll stay a little longer. Then I have many great stories to tell you. But I need to speak to the Headmistress today, as I have to go to Redgate for a few days soon, and I need to make sure you have enough medicine in stock."
"Yuck! Medicine," said one of the very small children, which immediately made me giggle, as I too had a hard time drinking the horrible tasting potions they sell in this world.
"Is that a promise?" one of the older children asked and Cáit nodded, "I've always kept my promises, haven't I?"

The children didn't seem to notice me at first, as they were completely focused on Cáit, until suddenly a little boy tugged at the sleeve of my shirt, "Are you one of Cáit's friends from her guild?"
Not being very good with children, I just nodded and said, "Yes. She said she wanted me to fix something here, but I think it's more to show me that this is a good place."
"It's a great place. I have lots of other kids here and I can play all day," the little boy told me, before saying out of the blue, "Maybe you can repair April?"
"Cait hasn't told me what she wants me to fix," I mumbled confusedly, "Is April a doll or maybe something cool like a robot?"
Honestly, those were the first things that came to my mind. Since he wasn't very old either, I assumed he was just saying some weird stuff. The boy just grinned at me before turning to Cáit and saying, "Your little friend is funny. She thinks April is a robot."
"Stop calling me little while I can still spit on your head," I grumbled and Cáit suddenly burst out laughing, "Are you really letting a four year old bully you?"
"I'm almost five," the little boy replied proudly.
At that moment, I suddenly had the attention of all the children present, and one of them suddenly explained to me, 'No, April is a human being. But her hand has been damaged for a long time and the orphanage doesn't have the money to pay someone to fix it. We brought someone in to help her once, but the jerk wanted half a fortune just to look at it.”
"Luke," Cáit said sternly, "No strong language around the small children."
"But if it's the truth," Luke muttered. 
Somehow I loved that side of Cáit. She swore like a sailor herself. And then she told a boy not to use that language. Great cinema.
"I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Cáit knows I'm not a doctor," I said with a look of disbelief, until I noticed Cáit's mischievous grin and put it all together.

"Leave me alone with Auntie Cáit for a moment. I need to give her a quick spanking," I said sourly, and when the children were gone I asked Cáit directly, "Have you completely lost your mind? Do you really think I'm good enough to fix a prosthetic hand?"
"Please, just take a look. April lost her right hand when she was very young due to an infection that couldn't be cured in time," Cáit explained calmly, "You really are a bit of a last hope for her. If you can't fix her prosthesis, she'll have to find a way to get a lot of money somehow. And that will probably break her. The orphanage was only able to afford the prosthesis anyway thanks to a generous donation."
I had the impression that Cáit really cared about this, so I muttered to myself a little grimly for a moment, before I said a little louder, "I hope, for your sake, you didn't promise that I could help her."
"Actually, she doesn't know it," Cáit smiled, "But she will soon be too old to stay in the orphanage. She is a very sweet and kind girl. I've known her for years. They even considered giving her a job and keeping her here, but..."
"...but with her handicap it's hard to find a good place for her in the orphanage," I finished the sentence and then just gave in, "Whatever. Take me to her."

It wouldn't kill me to try and help the girl. I might even get a few points on my karma account. 
"I'll introduce you to Elisabeth first. She's the headmistress here," Cáit started to explain the plan, but I had to stop her.
"You'd probably be very happy if I did the repairs for free - wouldn't you?" I asked Cáit and she nodded, "It's up to you, of course. But I'd be eternally grateful if you only invoice them for the spare parts."
"I wouldn't have asked for more anyway," I chuckled, "I'm not heartless and I know this is a one-time situation. But next time, please ask before you leave me no choice but to try it. I would have asked you to bring her to the mansion as Hannah would be a real help in this situation."
"As I see it, she would have refused because she doesn't want to be a burden to anyone," Cáit thought and walked with me straight to a door, knocking first. 

"Come in, Cáit," a friendly voice said as an elderly woman waited for us with tea and biscuits. 
"The children told me you'd be here. And that you'd brought a friend," Elisabeth said, offering us a seat on an old sofa. The woman herself was dressed very simply, with her grey hair pulled back. She reminded me a little of Professor McGonagall from the Harry Potter films.
"I'm here for two reasons. Firstly, I need you to tell me how many potions and medicine you need for the next two weeks, and secondly..." Cáit began, but stopped mid-sentence.
"The second reason has to do with your companion? Right?" Elisabeth smiled and while Cáit was still searching for the right words, I simply introduced myself, "My name is Em and I like to tinker with broken things in my spare time."
Elisabeth looked at me, a little confused at first, before looking at Cáit, almost scared, "Please don't tell me you want her to take care of April's prosthesis?"
Even though the reaction was understandable, it still annoyed me a little. From what I'd heard so far, the orphanage's finances didn't look too rosy, and the people here should be grateful for any help, voluntary or otherwise. The way I saw it, Cáit was already selling all the potions to the people here for less than they were worth just to support them.
"Um. I can just leave. I had other plans for this afternoon anyway," I muttered angrily, but Elisabeth reassured me, "Please forgive me. But you look so young. And I just don't want to give April false hope."
"I said the same thing to Cáit earlier. But honestly - better false hope than no hope at all," I muttered, still slightly annoyed, before showing Elisabeth my status screen and saying dryly, "Here. If you really want to know why Cáit has so much faith in me." You could see that it took Elisabeth a little while to understand the words on my status screen before she apologised again, "I'm sorry from the bottom of my heart that I doubted you."
"As if I would put one of the children here in danger," Cáit smiled shyly, and after Elisabeth had sent someone to fetch this girl called April, she apologised what felt like ten more times for her miscalculation.

5