Chapter I
20 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ย 

ย 

๐ฉ๐š๐ซ๐ญ ๐ˆ๏ผŽ

โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €โ €
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €โ €
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €โ € Heavy eyes slowly opened as the sensation of droplets hit the body. It was raining. Her thick Ruby hair was drenched as were her clothes, making it heavy on her head, and very difficult to see, nut somehow, she managed.

Sayaka looked around her surroundings. Lots of lights, many people with umbrellas. But she didn't recognize a single face, or even a location that she was in. She tried to recall what had just previously happened, but it was impossible. She only remembered the feeling of sheer willpower allowing her to keep pressing on for something despite an ill feeling creeping up on her. Trying to remember gave her a sharp pain in her head, so she didn't bother.

For now, she had to find shelter.

Most of the places were closed. But that made sense, it was almost 3 in the morning, based on what a clock inside someone's shop window said. Coming across a bar, it looked like the safest place to stay. At least this is what Sayaka thought, by looking through the window. Now, she just had to find a way in ...

ย 

โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€” ๐Ÿฅƒ

June 5th ; 20XX
2:56 am

A sigh came from the bartender as she wiped down the bar. The final guest left drunk as usual and the woman was left in peace. It was a long day at her bar, Crossroads, and she was exhausted from dealing with the customers - or well, one customer in particular. Just when she thought she'd have some peace, too, she heard some sort of shuffling in the back.

"Oh, that better not be Ohya trying to snag any more liquor in the back."

The bartender's voice was raspy as she spoke to herself. She put down the rag before heading for the back rooms. She grumbled inaudible things to herself, most likely about the woman she mentioned. However, upon opening the door to the back, her eyes were met with a stranger - and it seemed that the stranger's eyes also met that of the owner.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"GET OUT - SCRAM!" the woman shouted, only scaring the red haired girl into a shaking fright. She seemed to be frozen in place, literally trembling in fear. After a moment to assess the situation, Lala sighed. She didn't mean to make an innocent person shake in their boots. She would try again, this time with a more calm tone "Look, I'm sorry. You just can't be here - it ain't safe."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
The relaxed voice would allow the girl to stop trembling, but she was still silent.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Can you speak?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Silence.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Alright ... My name is Lala Escargot," the woman said, "I own this bar. Are you in need of a home?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
The girl would nod her head. Lala gave her a motherly smile in hopes to calm her. Though, she wasn't sure she could keep the girl here. Lala had no idea how to take care of a child, and this one was most likely homeless if she was taking refuge in a bar.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Okay ... are you hungry?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Another nod.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Alright. Come with me, missy."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala would guide the girl to the bar, before rummaging around to see what sorts of bar snacks there were still left over. She found something and slid it over to the silent girl. It appeared to be something fried, but Sayaka doesn't know what.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"I hope this is good enough," Lala said, "it's nori ten.''
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
As the girl began to eat, Lala would look her over. She didn't have anything on her person - literally, she wore either a very long shirt or a very short dress, which was fuchsia, with long sleeves, and some black stockings. Her hair appeared unkempt and incredibly red, and her eyes were also red, but differed from her hair. The hair was like rubies, but her eyes like poppy flowers. She was obviously malnourished and had various scratches and bruises along her shoulders and by her collarbone... Lala couldn't help but wonder if there were more behind the clothing that covered her. The girl looked tired, like she hadn't gotten good sleep in weeks. She was also a lot tanner than natives of Japan, and she had freckles... lots of freckles on her face and shoulders. She was definitely not from Japan, even if she knew the language.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
After her observations, Lala walked off about a foot or two to get some water, placing it in front of her, next to the food.

โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"... Thank you."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala raised a brow. "So you can speak," she said sarcastically with a little chuckle. The girl looked confused by this mannerism. Lala sighed and asked, "do you have a name?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
There was silence for a little bit, but just when Lala was about to give up on the question, the girl answered, "Sayaka."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Well, nice to meet you, Sayaka." Lala would lean on the bar and stare at Sayaka for a moment. "Now, can you tell me why you're in my bar?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"... I do not know."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Well, I bet your parents' are worried." Lala couldn't imagine what parents would allow their child to dress like this out in public though. Especially in a place like Shinjuku.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Parents?" Sayaka squinted as she thought of the word, but only looked confused. This surprised Lala. What a strange girl.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €

"Um ... yeah, you know ? The people who take care of you?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"I ... do not know any 'parents', Ms. Escargot."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Just Lala is fine," Lala interrupted.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"... My apologies, Ms. Lala."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala sighed. To her, it sounded like this girl was kidnapped or something, and just recently escaped her kidnapper. She didn't want to assume, but the evidence seemed to be there. And she wasn't about to let this girl wander the streets again only to be re-captured.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"You can stay here if you need to. But we've got to go to the police as soon as I have some time off," Lala told her. Sayaka nodded in understanding, finishing up her food and water, before heading to the back rooms again. Lala shook her head and said, "not in there. You can stay in the attic while you're staying here, okay?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Oh ... okay."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala would usher Sayaka to follow her, leading her upstairs to the attic. It wasn't the best, but it was clean, and would work for a couple nights.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€” ๐Ÿฅƒ
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
June 9th ; 20XX
8:30 PM
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Bye ! Come again some time," Sayaka said cheerfully as she waved goodbye to one of the patrons of Crossroads while Lala mixed a drink for another customer. This would be Sayaka's last customer for the evening, evident by her hurrying off afterwards to the attic where she slept. Lala knew Sayaka wouldn't be sleeping yet, but the two mutually agreed that she'd stop working the bar at 8:30... well, it was more like Lala said this rule and Sayaka complied.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
At least the girl was getting better though. When Lala first encountered her, Sayaka would hardly speak after their initial conversation, but after the past four days she seemed to be able to get Sayaka to help out around the bar and they talked occasionally. Usually it was Sayaka asking questions about random things. Things like why Lala dresses in a "robe thing" every day, how good she is at make up, what the most expensive thing in the shop was... It was interesting to experience how little Sayaka knew, but Lala wondered why this girl knew so little in the first place? Surely she was educated - she had the mannerisms that suggested she'd come from a place that had access to high wealth and therefore a high education.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
The thoughts would soon be disrupted as a new patron entered the bar. Though this person was a woman, compared to the usual men (and Ohya), and didn't particularly look the type to be somewhere like this. She wore white slacks, boots, a yellow turtleneck and a tan coat. There were also her sunglasses .... Probably to hide her identity. Lala took note mostly of her hair... red. But darker, almost like maroon. It was evident that this woman was not coming in for a drink.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Can I help you..?" Lala asked, not quite hostile, but not thrilled. Rich people tend to have their heads up their asses, and this woman radiated wealth.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Yes. Are you Lala Escargot?" the woman asks.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"um ... yeah?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
The red haired woman reaches into her inner coat pocket and slides the envelope over to the bartender. It's standard, but has a formal seal with a โ ๐”Ž โž on it. Lala has no idea what exactly the seal is, but takes it anyway. She raises a brow as the mysterious woman speaks again.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Fust read it, and follow it's instructions" Her tone was stern, but not quite threatening.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
With that, the woman left, and a big group of the regular customers began to pile in. Some of the customers looked back towards the woman, as if they recognized her from something or somewhere, but none followed after her. For now, Lala tossed the paper to the rest of her mail, and went on with her night.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”- ๐Ÿฅƒ
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €

June 10th ; 20XX
5:35 PM
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Sayaka had been staying in Crossroads for the past five days. There wasn't much going on in regards to talking. Lala didn't really learn anything about Sayaka, but she speculated that there was some sort of trauma, and that's why she was so quiet. Then again, the mysterious woman from the night before seemed to know her to some degree, but not in any threatening way.
โ € โ € โ € โ € The bar maiden wouldn't push Sayaka to talk about things if she didn't want to or couldn't remember them. They did do a few things though, such as purchasing a cellphone for Sayaka so that the two could stay in touch, assuming that she'd be staying here for a while...
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
The bar was quiet right now, giving Lala some time to read her mail while her only patron was stupid drunk and trying to pitch some weird idea to Sayaka, who has been trying to help out with cleaning for the few days that she's been staying at Crossroads.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Most of the mail was junk, and Lala was just about to throw it all out before she came upon the letter from last night. This piqued her memory about the incident and she raised an eyebrow once more.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala opened the envelope and her fingers met crisp paper. It felt like it was expensive. The contents of the letter was actually rather short - it simply said:
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala Escargot.
Thank you for housing Sayaka.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
And then, an address. Lala's eyes widened tremendously at the address, and her upcoming words were spoken with a sense of urgency.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Ohya, shop's closed now. Time for you to head out." Lala announced.

โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Whaaaat???" Ohya giggled drunkenly, "but I just got here."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Yeah, well things change. I've gotta head out for a bit."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Oh come on," Ohya whined, "let the girl run the bar~ I bet she's got what it takes, and she's quite the loooooker.'' she winked dumbly, making Sayaka obviously uncomfortable...
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Nope. She's gotta come with me," Lala said, making Sayaka's eyes widen slightly with surprise.

This was the final word, and Ohya knew it. So with a groan, she packed up her things and headed out.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Sayaka looked over at Lala once Ohya was gone, her expression worrisome. The bar maiden just smiled and said, "c'mon, we're taking a little trip." Sayaka would nod, putting down the rag she was holding and heading out with her boss.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€” ๐Ÿฅƒ
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
The two ladies would look up at the tall building in Roppongi - an apartment complex. Lala seems impressed with the locals, but Sayaka appeared to be distressed or anxious. Truth be told, she didn't want to leave Ms. Escargot. Though they didn't really know each other for that long, she was kind and made sure that Sayaka was safe. In a place with no familiarities, that meant a lot to the teenager. Lala knew these worries without having to look and see her expression.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala sighed before she spoke.

"It's been a rough week, hasn't it?"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Sayaka would look at Lala, and tilt her head a little. Lala would look back.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"We haven't really been able to locate any family of yours, or figure out why you don't remember much."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Oh... right," Sayaka would look away, now at the ground.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
There was silence for a while.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"You know, someone really cares for you if they're giving you this luxurious apartment," Lala commented, laughing a somewhat somber laugh. Oh what she'd do for a better living space. "Someone's out there for you, not quite ready to come out of the shadows, it seems, but wanting to support you however they can."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Sayaka remained silent. Those words changed nothing about her opinion.
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"... Hey," Lala said. Sayaka looked over. "Anytime you need some guidance, I'm just a call away."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Correct ... th-thank you, Ms. Escar-"
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"Just Lala."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
"...Right, thank you, Ms. Lala."
โ € โ € โ € โ € โ € โ €
Lala patted the girl's back as the man at the front of the apartment approached, ready to help get Sayaka settled into her new home. Lala gave Sayaka a reassuring look, before heading back to Shinjuku. Sayaka watched as her temporary caretaker left, until she was out of view.

1