Chapter 3
10 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈𝐈.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀ June 25th, 20XX
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ after school.

Sayaka looked around at all the shops as her new friend guided her around the strange neighborhood known as Kichijoji. How Kasumi managed to get her to join was a mystery- or maybe Sayaka was just fueled with guilt from the several times she declined the younger girl. It was fairly interesting but nothing that Sayaka found noteworthy. There was a clothing store, some eateries. A temple... Kasumi wanted to take a look at the accessories store, which Sayaka complied with, but found boring. She'd be watching a television interview while waiting for Kasumi to be done trying on the glasses or looking at bracelets and necklaces.

On the TV was a young adult woman with brown pigtails. She wore a pink turtleneck dress or shirt from what Sayaka could tell. There was no audio for the television, so Sayaka wasn't sure what this woman was saying. Kasumi would soon take notice of her staring.

"Are you a fan of Risette too? It's such a shame she's quitting the idol scene."

Sayaka looked at Kasumi with confusion. She didn't know that was the name of the woman on TV. Kasumi didn't notice the look.

Sayaka looked at the other television, which showed a brunette man only a year older than her, tops. Kasumi would see Sayaka's eyes move to his interview and commented, "that's Detective Akechi. I believe I've met him before once. My father runs the show Good Morning Japan, so sometimes I get to meet the people who guest star."

Sayaka would look at Kasumi and ask, "father..?" this puzzled Kasumi the same way it puzzled everyone else.

"Yeah, like a parent. Do you not have one?"

Sayaka shook her head no, but didn't elaborate - if only because Kasumi's phone began to ring like an alarm of some sort was going off.

"Oh shoot... " Kasumi said, looking at her cellphone. "I'm running late for practice .. I'll see you later, alright?"

"Oh, sure..." Sayaka nodded in understanding, "have fun at your... practice thing."

Kasumi nodded, waving goodbye to her new friend, and running off. Once she was out of sight, Sayaka aimlessly wandered around Kichijoji, unsure of what she should do. It's not like she had any sort of guide now, she didn't know where to go or who to be with.

And were hang outs normally that short? Sayaka just wasn't sure.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Sayaka would walk aimlessly among the shops and eateries, before coming across some kind of club...
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Penguin Sniper.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ Evening.

She found this place all on her own - she was pretty proud of herself for that. 

Though, upon entering, Sayaka recognized that its general vibe was... loud.

There were lots of people - even some from school - and everyone seemed to be having a good time. Sayaka couldn't relate to these people, and recognized several as people who had laughed at her struggles.

Perhaps she could find something here to do?
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Looking around at all the things to do, she was finding that this wouldn't be successful. At least, until her eyes came across the familiar face fresh on her mind! It was that detective from TV. Kasumi said his name was Akechi, right? 

She'd approach him as he was the only familiar person around, only to realize he was partaking in the "stick-game" with the frizzy haired student at Shujin with the talking cat. She was uneasy, standing quite literally at their fuzzy teal table. Theoretically she should be sweating a storm from her nervousness for intruding on the two's personal space with no reason, yet the girl seems completely oblivious to her own actions and how they are affecting the boys.

⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Both are staring at her, their game at a halt.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"...Hello, may we help you?" the man from the TV asked, almost perplexed by her behavior. Though it was obvious to anyone with a conscience that he didn't want her there, he was being polite.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"I am watching your game," Sayaka answers straight forward and honest.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Why?" Akechi asks, eyes slightly narrowing.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Sayaka stares directly at him, her following words blunt, as she still doesn't register the annoyance she's causing.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"I know you from the television screen."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
The black haired student looks at the two of them, and the cat seems to motion, like it's saying something discretely. The human looks up to bare witness to the conversation.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Ah..." Akechi forced out an awkward laugh, doing his best to be polite and keep his public image properly aligned. "Well, I'm a bit busy right now. If you're wanting an autograph, it will have to wait until later."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"What is an autograph? I simply wish to hang out with you."

This confused the detective.

Truthfully, why would a stranger wish to pry on his downtime? He didn't really like this, and he was finding the girl to be annoying with her reasoning. Her straightforward words were fine - preferable compared to how other girls spoke to him - but she couldn't take a hint like he'd hoped. He looked to his supposed friend to help him out as he said almost through his teeth, "Like I said, I'm with my friend right now."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"Ah ..." the black haired boy assessed the situation for a moment before giving his answer, "Actually, I need to head out now. But you'll be fine Akechi. Have fun with your fan."
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
It was with those words that Akechi's friend left the scene, leaving him with the girl, much to his dismay. Alas, he had to keep his image up and this meant... complying. She's clearly a fan, so he thought, so who knows what kind of influence she had on his public image. The two were standing there awkwardly, so it wasn't shocking that people started to take note.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"So, what is this stick-game, with the fuzzy table?" Sayaka asked, trying to break the ice the best she could. Akechi grimaced at the doorway before putting on his best polite expression for Sayaka.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"It's called Billiards. You've never heard of it?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"There is lots I have not heard of. Is it fun?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
Akechi didn't answer that question.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
...
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
"I think I'm going to head out now," Akechi stated after another long moment of silence, reluctant when adding, "if you wish to join me, there is a café near by." He left after that, hoping that Sayaka didn't follow him.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀⠀
... surely enough, she did.

The pair sat together outside, face to face. Yet the conversation was nonexistent. Any attempts at such wound up dry. Sayaka introduced herself to him as Sayaka Akai, and then without a moment's notice, asked him questions. Things such as where Akechi went to school, what his hobbies were, any friends, but everything he responded with was like a one-sided conversation with no ways of escalating the conversation. And yet, Sayaka would find a way to ask question after question, somehow keeping the conversation thriving on her end.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
When Akechi's coffee arrived, he'd put a hand up to cease her words. Once she was silent, his hand rested on the table calmly.

"So, Sayaka-San... What are your hobbies?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
Perhaps repeating her questions to him would relay the awkwardness he felt. And though it did make things awkwardly silent, it wasn't because she was uncomfortable, but... ⠀

"Me? Oh, well... I go to school."

Akechi raised an eyebrow in confusion and at first he didn't pry. It wasn't until he noticed some people staring that he tried to make a better impression.

"School isn't particularly a hobby. Do you not do anything for fun?"
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
Sayaka tilted her head slightly, not entirely sure what he wanted from her if 'school' wasn't a hobby. Her expression alone expressed the exact confusion she was feeling, and it was like child's play for Akechi to figure that feeling out.
⠀ ⠀ ⠀ ⠀
"Well, I'm sure that your hobbies lie within making friends," he finished, trailing off from the conversation. The night was no longer all that young, and he still had to return home for the endeavors of tomorrow. Allowing Sayaka to sit in silence, he paid the necessary yen for his coffee. He gave the girl one more look, before saying, "it was nice to see you, hope to see you around." A lie behind his words - he honestly hoped not to see her ever again. He had no need for a random fangirl to come into his life beyond this moment.

Sayaka's ears perked up the moment he stood, but her reaction was delayed. As the detective made his way back home, she would turn to watch. Blinking twice, she called out, "okay! I will see you later, Mr. Akechi!"

She watched as, without another word, he left. Though the two had entirely different mindsets on the events that just took place, Sayaka believed there was a strong connection between the two. 

Even if Mr. Akechi didn't feel that same bond, she felt it so intensely that she wanted to break out of her nervous social quirks if it meant having a chance at bonding with him... 

1