9. One Flip of Cards
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

The next day after work, Mai was forced to pass by Vera's Voq because it was on the way home. As she passed them with her bike, which she was dragging along, a woman suddenly came out and ran towards her.

"Excuse me, miss, but do you have a moment?" she asked.

Mai stopped and turned her head to the right, her gaze first falling on the woman's face and then on her name tag, 'Ellen.'

All the women looked alike in Vera's Voq, and on that day she had caused quite a scene.

Damn!

"I'll gladly compensate for the bad atmosphere I created. It wasn't my intention, I..." She said.

"We would like you to come back and become a regular customer with us. I apologize on behalf of Vera's Voq for the treatment you received that day. You didn't deserve that, and we are very sorry," interrupted Ellen, taking out a black card and handing it to Mai, who looked at it skeptically.

She already had too many credit cards and didn't need any more. Her wallet simply didn't have enough space.

"I'm sorry, but I don't accept any more cards. I was unfairly treated by a customer, but it's not your fault, it's mine. She's right that I don't belong there. So, I apologize many times," she said, pulling her bike away as she felt her heart beating fast.

She felt tears slowly welling up, sniffled, and wiped her eyes. Judged by appearance. Just as her mother had always said to her. Mai had no reason to flaunt a credit card just to get into a fancy store. It simply shouldn't be like that. She took deep breaths and held back more tears.

Suddenly, she heard a pair of heels echoing behind her, getting closer and closer, and she furrowed her brows and walked faster ahead. The main road was in front of her.

"Miss, it's not to bother you, but I was sincere before. It would be a great honor for us if you could at least consider Vera's Voq. We have a good partnership with Nen Nord," said Ellen, who suddenly stopped.

Mai continued walking but slowed her pace now that she knew Ellen wasn't following her anymore, but the next words she said made her stop.

"We've kicked out the woman who bothered you yesterday. She's not welcome anymore."

Mai turned around, and when she saw Ellen's serious expression, she knew she meant it.

"You didn't have to kick her out. When she finds out it's my fault..."

"She won't. We keep everything confidential concerning our customers. So, will you consider Vera's Voq?" interrupted Ellen, now looking hopeful.

"I've already found my gift, but since you're collaborating with Nen Nord, I'll reconsider your offer. Have a good evening," replied Mai as she quickly walked towards the main road and cycled away without looking back.

A smile spread across her face, and for once, she felt happy. There was also Lin, but it wasn't the same joyful feeling. I've outsmarted Sophie without doing anything! She burst into a loud laugh and spread her legs lightly as the bike rolled on the main road, with cars zooming past beside her.

She bought Japanese curry at the local small Indian kiosk and bought lychee and many fruits for dessert. When she spotted a small watermelon, she bought it too.

Time couldn't pass quickly enough, and when Lin rang the doorbell, she opened it right away. When he came in and set his big bag down, she hugged him and felt his lovely warm body. She smelled a mild floral scent and broke into a smile.

"I've missed you, Lin," she said, suddenly remembering the episode with Sophie yesterday.

She squeezed his jacket and felt the tears slowly creeping out.

Lin hugged her and was about to say something, but suddenly heard her sniffle, so he chose not to say anything.

Mai couldn't hold it back anymore and started crying. It grew louder, developing into sobbing. She tried to control her emotions, but it was difficult right now.

Suddenly, Lin patted her back and said in a gentle voice, "Let it all out. I'm here and won't leave."

Mai sniffled and finished crying. She sniffled and looked up at him, meeting his tourmaline eyes glowing with a beautiful hue. Can others see the same?

"Have you ever been told that your eyes are beautiful?" she asked as Lin gently wiped her eyes with his sleeve.

He took off his jacket and replied, "No, they're not the first thing people notice, more my face and body. But enough about me. What happened to you? You startle me like that."

The curry was simmering away in the large pot on the gas stove, so Mai and Lin sat down on the sofa in the living room and looked at each other. Lin held her hands and wanted to hear everything that had happened yesterday with Sophie. Everything. So, she ended up recounting everything, word for word, what had happened. She also mentioned word for word what had happened today.

"Do you think Sophie is my bad karma, as you mentioned? But I haven't done anything bad, have I?" asked Mai, becoming desperate.

No, that didn't fit. There was the rabbit she had given chocolate to because it was suffering, and she didn't want to give it a violent death. She furrowed her brows and felt her heart beating fast. But Sophie and Silver existed in my other life.

"Am I a bad person? Does there really exist someone in the world who hasn't done a single bad deed in their life?" she asked, leaning forward, hiding her head in Lin's chest.

He hugged her and tried to comfort her with gentle words. It calmed her down and held back the tears. But she still had a strange feeling in her heart and stomach that she couldn't shake off.

She looked at him and said in a low voice, "Kiss me."

He leaned forward and kissed her immediately. When she felt his soft lips, she immediately relaxed in her entire body, and his floral scent made her smile.

"If Sophie is my bad karma, then you're my guardian angel," she said.

"I'd rather be your husband than your guardian angel," said Lin, puckering his lips.

Mai giggled and said, "That was metaphorical and meant as something good."

When the alarm clock rang, they set the table and started eating.

Lin praised her version of Japanese curry and was surprised to see both apples and raisins in it.

"They balance each other out with the sweet and sour, and the cream makes the sauce creamy," Mai said.

She had mixed the Japanese curry with her mother's chicken curry recipe. It was a perfect combo.

"Can you cook? I know and have heard that many men can only fry an egg," she said.

"I can do the simple things like frying an egg. But it's mostly Chinese food I can make," Lin replied, taking another bite of the yellow curry with chicken pieces mixed with rice.

"Are you getting up early tomorrow?" Mai suddenly asked, with her spoon in her mouth as she looked at him.

"I was planning to stay overnight, so you don't need to ask," he replied, looking at her.

Mai almost felt like she didn't need to say anything to him before he had read her thoughts. It was nice and felt lovely.

"Why are you so perfect?" she murmured softly, but it was enough for him to hear her words.

"Perfect is a strong word and can mean many things. Ugly things can also be perfect," he said.

Later, Mai opened the large black bag and saw some clothes neatly folded in a transparent plastic bag. There was also a shoebox that Mai opened first. Inside were a pair of golden mid-high heels. She was surprised when she saw the size.

"I never told you my size," she muttered, trying on the shoes to see if they actually fit.

"You're a size 36. I don't need a tape measure to check, and I've already explored your body, which I now know everything about," said Lin, smiling mischievously.

"You don't know everything," Mai commented, pouting her lips, and stood up, walking slowly and carefully around the living room on her wooden floor.

They didn't slip off, didn't hurt, weren't too high, didn't pinch, and didn't creak. Perfect.

"Everything. Should my fingers remind you of all the holes I've explored on you?" Lin suddenly said, almost making her wobble in her shoes. She quickly sat down and took them off before they broke.

"Who taught you to talk like that? You talk like a perverted pig sometimes. But it's pretty funny. Your face really deceives," She said, putting the shoes back in the box.

Lin, who was sitting on the sofa, laughed and hugged her from behind.

"I'm relaxed when I'm with you, so it makes me loosen up and be myself," he said, kissing her back gently.

Mai took out a snow-white wide short-sleeved lace dress, which she initially thought was too short, but when she put it on, it fit perfectly.

At the bottom it flared out into a skirt.

When she twirled around, Lin couldn't help but comment, "You look like a daisy when you spin."

Mai was about to take the dress off and change back into her clothes, but suddenly felt Lin kissing her left butt cheek while his hand gently caressed her right. She suddenly felt his soft tongue between her butt cheeks, and reflexively let out a sound.

"I said all the holes," He suddenly said in a gentle voice, and she felt his pinky finger slowly moving inside her further up while his tongue took care of the lower part.

>>> <<<

On the sofa, Mai lay on top of Lin's chest, and they had a thin blanket over them. Lin rested on his arms, looking at the white ceiling, and his eyes wandered around the room.

"Why do you live here? You can afford something better," he suddenly said.

"Everything is expensive, as I've said. Here, it's peaceful and not crowded with people," Mai replied in a soft voice with her eyes closed.

She sniffed his neck and smiled broadly.

Lin grunted and said, "You say you can't afford it. But isn't it just a trap you've set for yourself? Get your wallet."

Mai didn't know what he meant by that, so she fetched her cardholder because she never carried cash. They filled up. She handed him her small black leather cardholder, and he opened it and skimmed through all her cards. His eyes fell on the five cards lined up next to each other but in separate pockets.

He pulled out a blank card and said, "You have a Platinum card, but I can see it's level 0."

He picked up another card, a shiny one that sparkled no matter how you turned it. "You have a Diamond card, but also level 0."

He picked up a third card, a deep blue color. "This is a Sapphire Card. But also level 0. You're really not a spender."

He picked up a jet-black card with a red-headed snake sticking its tongue out. "You haven't used the Cobra Card either. Where on earth does your money go?"

"To get a Cobra Card, you need both a Platinum, Diamond, and Sapphire, and since you have a Cobra, you also have the last card that requires having all the other 4 cards," he said, picking up the last card, which was snow-white with a golden wide border that shimmered like stars, with a white layer of mist on top that didn't move even when touched. It wasn't a hologram.

"The Moon Card is the highest tier credit card in the world that not many people have. Only 10 have been issued worldwide. Hm? What's this?" Lin said, noticing a golden spot in the top right corner.

"Your card is first generation. Is this the one your great-grandfather had?" he asked.

Mai had told him a little about her background, but hadn't mentioned her investments, only some of her grandfather's investments.

"Yes, but I didn't know it was worth so much. I also didn't think cards could be inherited," she replied, looking at the Moon Card.

"My bank said back then that the money on this card couldn't be withdrawn unless I gave permission, with my mouth. They called it soul bind, so I dripped my blood for it to accept me. Since I'm related to my grandfather, it went smoothly."

"I also have a first generation like you. You can't possibly mean you can't afford to move to a better place," Lin said, waving the Moon Card in front of her nose, and she felt the warm breeze it created.

"I'm saving my money because you never know what the future holds, and I don't need more right now. I have a wonderful man and a cozy place to live in. I'm not complaining," Mai said, pouting her lips.

"I declined all the cards, but my bank back then insisted that I just have them. But I chose not to use them, so I pay to have them once a month. But it's only a small amount, but annoying because it's a loss for me," she mumbled.

Lin chuckled and said, "The idea is to earn points on them, and with them, you get a lot of benefits such as discounts, special treatments, and other luxury offers. But your cards are gathering dust. If you don't want them, I'll take them and help you with your points."

He put the Moon Card in the cardholder, placed it on the table, and hugged Mai, who commented that he already had enough money.

"You can never have enough money. Even those who have plenty still strive for more. They become greedy and stingy, and they can never have enough. Few enjoy having money because they spend their time working hard to get more. That's just how the world is built," he said, kissing her.

>>> <<<

Some years back, Mai visited her advisory bank, Rent & Life.

The female Advisory Consultant, Lisa, laid out five cards, each in different colors, in front of Mai, who blinked at the sight.

What the hell? Aren't these high-tier cards? Why are they here?

"Our bank is just an advisory bank, so we don't have a large branch, and therefore, we don't have enough capacity to accommodate such a large amount you have in your account. But if you put some of them into these cards, especially the Moon Card, it can lighten the load for us. But with such a large amount, we usually suggest our clients spread their money across other banks in case one goes bankrupt," said Lisa.

Mai blinked and asked, "Okay, are you trying to tell me that you'll soon go bankrupt because of my amount?"

Lisa smiled and replied, "We would very much like to keep you as a customer, but our capacity is too small. It's only if you put some of your money on these cards that you can continue to be our customer."

"So you're trying to push me out with an ultimatum. You could have just said that. I've never heard of banks rejecting someone because there's too much money in their account. I inherited a lot from my grandfather, and I know the shares in Nen Nord have risen significantly, but I didn't think it was that much," said Mai, scratching her cheek.

She hadn't dared to look at the amount for fear that it might not live up to her expectations, and an advisory bank like this was small. But she didn't have much when she switched to that bank. The other banks had poor customer service and were snobbish. This was the only one that didn't care about what she spent her money on. They even gave her a regular credit card when she became their customer, not a debit card.

Lisa blinked and asked in a low voice, "We'd like to keep you. But the only way is for you to transfer some of the amount onto these cards. It also ensures that your money doesn't disappear if something happens to our bank. And we're not heading towards bankruptcy."

Mai forced a smile and nodded. "There aren't many banks to choose from, and I've tried most of them. Help me transfer some onto all of them. I assume they all have a monthly fee."

Lisa nodded and said, "Only the Moon Card doesn't have a monthly fee. It operates solely on bonus points and gives you special access if you show it at the places you go. But be careful using it. Have you heard about those who steal expensive watches inside Koetthagen?"

Mai knew the story all too well. Only the 'new rich,' whom she had dubbed 'idiots,' would stroll around flaunting their expensive watches in such a place.

Lisa guided Mai through how to use the Moon Card, which had the largest capacity for money. She bit her index finger because external items could not be used. The blood dripped onto the card as she smeared it with the same finger, and when the entire card was blood-red, the card absorbed it, and a faint mist formed on the edges. She lifted it up and saw a hologram-like card that looked lifelike.

"Wow, where did you find the Moon Stone?" she asked, surprised.

Lisa chuckled and replied, "It was the main bank that found it."

 

0