Chapter Six – First Blood
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment Kevinar's hand met my shoulder, an invisible thread of connection knitted itself between us. His touch was as fleeting as a shadow slipping around a corner, yet it speared through the frosted shell that had formed around my heart. As I fell into step behind him, my gaze ran a protective arc through the air, ready to catch any lurking danger in our path back to camp. 

     The moon threw a silver blanket over the wilderness, under which crickets offered symphonies to the stars, bats etched the night with their piercing cries, and distant frogs echoed their watery serenade. Unusually, there were no mosquitos. Their absence was a strange silence, likely granted by my infernal-touched bloodline. 

     My grandmother's voice, quavery and kind, echoed in my mind, ‘Find blessings where you can.’ Her wisdom found a comfortable nook in my heart, dwelling there even amidst the existential horror in which I found myself. 

     As the shades of camp began to rise from the darkness, a harmonious strain of music wafted towards us, a playful sprite, dancing and twirling through the underbrush. Its melodic tendrils curled around the carpet of crumpled and sodden leaves beneath our feet, illuminating them with ghostly notes. It brought with it a tantalizing aroma, a cocktail of mulched leaves and animal libations, enigmatic yet inviting. Above, the moon blushed a deeper silver, seeming to stare through me and into the cold depths of my shared soul. 

     My senses were sparked to life, each taking a deep draught from the sensory feast. I felt as if I was riding on the psychedelic wave I'd heard whispered about in tales of magic mushrooms. The world took on a softer, brighter hue, each element singing a note of harmonious beauty. 

     As we crossed the threshold into the warmth of the camp, Brandosyeus the satyr came into view. He stood quite majestically, bathed in the honeyed glow of the fire. His fingers danced over the length of a wooden panpipe, each note breathed into life. I felt the music waft over me, seeping into my weary bones, kneading the fatigue out of them with invisible, melodic hands. 

     This was bardic magic. I cast him an appreciative eye, and he caught it, giving a short and curt bow in my direction while continuing his tune. I gave him a good thorough look this time, absorbing his details and filing them away into the monsterpedia of my mind. He was the height of a human, but with small horns curling up from his forehead, and the almost naked hindquarters of a goat in place of where us humans normally wore pants. Thankfully his front was covered by what can be best described as a furry thong, so the large bulge behind them didn’t dangle and dance for all to see.

     Around the fire, I could see the rest laying back, their eyes closed, soaking in the magic. I cast a glance at Kevinar, and he nodded back in my direction, taking a seat and leaning back to listen to the melody. But even on the ground I couldn’t help but stare. 

     The satyr himself was simply mesmerizing.

     He wore a merry earth-toned vest that left bare his six-pack abs and hinted at his large pecs. Over top that was a well-groomed goatee sprouting from an impossibly handsome face. A half-grin rode his face, showing off a single dimple pressed into the bottom of his cheek.

     He caught my eyes, a bright intelligent green meeting my own infernal ice blue, and he grinned.

     “Brandosyeus at your service. I hope my song of rest has eased the weariness of your imprisonment.”

     I stretched, surprised at how loose my body felt. “Thanks,” I said, amazed at the friendly aura he emanated. And it hit me. This was some sort of Charisma effect! It hadn’t been listed as an attribute, but I’d bet a thousand dollars it was a bardic skill that he had an S-rank in.

     “Thank the goddess moon, friend. It’s been a long day for all of us, but more so for yourself I would expect. Let my music carry you to the land of sleep. We’ll all take care of watch tonight.”

     With his words a great heaviness rolled into my shoulders and back. “Thank the goddess moon,” I said, heaving a great sigh. Closing my eyes, I snorted once, loudly, fading away to a darkened and dim layer of coals sweltering under the opposite-angled moon of the dying night sky.

     “Wha—” I started, the events of prior crashing over and into me. It wasn’t a nightmare, of course. It never was. Sitting up, I glanced about the camp, looking at my companions before extending my eyes’ reach to the trees about us. 

     I didn’t know who was on watch, but I hoped they were paying attention. Because something was definitely out there. Goose pimples pricked up on my arms, and within me Jeldorain stirred.

     Flesh. Mortal. I heard a heavy snuffling in my soul. STRONG!

     The ground shivered beneath me and my body reacted in a way it had never done before. Arms hit the ground while my legs pumped and kicked, throwing me up to my feet in a single second. I found myself standing, massive fists already in a battle-stance before me. It was all wrong though. A brawling stance, not the Jujitsu that I practiced back when I was human.

     “Something’s here!” I bellowed, my eyes searching the ground for my Ax-nunchuk. It glinted dully in the fallen moonlight. I grabbed it, letting the links slink through my palms. All around me, my new comrades-in-arms took to their feet, muttering curses, flashing weapons to their hands and gear to their bodies from their inventories as they took up battle stances.

     Right. Inventory, I thought, embarrassed that'd I'd left my own equipment in a pile next to me.

     A message prompt flashed across my vision.

 

     Random Encounter! Danger abounds in the deep dark woods. Sometimes that danger is you . . . sometimes it is something else.

 

     In the blink of an eye, our campsite was transformed into a battlefront. Swords were drawn, arrows were nocked, and magic swirled with potent energy. All eyes turned towards the gloomy forest, anxiously awaiting the unseen menace. It was not Kevinar who held my attention, nor Brandosyeus with his magic panpipe now silenced. It was the eerie feeling creeping up my spine, the prickling warning of my infernal blood.

     Beneath the shroud of darkness, the forest seemed to shift. The moonlight that once bathed the trees in a gentle silver glow was swallowed, leaving an oppressive blackness in its wake. Branches rustled, and trees swayed as something moved towards us, shaking the ground as it did so. 

     It felt so close. So ready to strike. And yet everywhere I looked, there was nothing.

     “Well where is it?” Ike piped up, standing on my left flank with his short curved sword in one hand, and a tell-tale handful of dirt in the other. A tree crashed, half-taking out another of its companions in its splintered demise.

     Kevinar, taking a place at my other flank, glanced at me. His sword was at the ready, radiating a fierce, otherworldly glow that emanated a deep sense of dread. My fingers tightened around the Ax-nunchuk; in response to the magical fear of his blade, or a reaction to the anticipation heavy in my gut, I couldn’t say. This was it. The first real fight since my transformation.

     “Positions!” Kevinar's voice cut through the silence like a knife. Everyone fell into a defensive circle, weapons at the ready. The music-maker, Brandosyeus, had lost his mirth, his panpipe now held in but one hand, the other gripping leaf-bladed dagger that glowed a vibrant green.

     And then it emerged. A long red line of health streaked across the top of my vision, and for a second I couldn’t tell if this was the system keeping me informed of my health, or if it were emphasizing how tough this bastard of a monster we were about to fight really was.

     It didn’t take long for me to realize it was the latter. 

     Screaming a shrill octave, a massive beast easily the size of our pontoon boat back home, burst from the forest floor, flinging mulch and forest loam out in a ringed wave before it. It was covered with an extremely hard and heavy armor-like hide that shined metallic in the midst of unnatural blue-brown fur. And its head was best described as a splitting wedge, but with a giant maw filled with razor-sharp teeth.

     The only thing not terrifying about the beast were its tiny eyes, and its soprano shriek. The rest of it might as well have been pulled from my deepest and darkest nightmares.

     “A forest shark!” Kevinar spat. His face was hard, a stone etched with lines of determination.

     “Hold the line. Don’t move. They can’t see well and mostly depend on us running around.”

     His command was met with a chorus of grim assent, the voices of Brandosyeus, Jon, and Schustak vowing their obedience. Every muscle in my body tensed, coiled like a spring, ready to snap into action if the thing took a single step in our direction. My grip on the Ax-nunchuk tightened further, its chain rattling softly against the silence. The sense of danger from earlier amplified, overwhelming my senses.

     Jeldorain within me was stirring again. Fight. Kill. Consume. A dark urge rumbled through the depths of my being, the taste of raw bloody animal flesh being chewed in my mouth. Too late, I realized I’d temporarily lost control. As my mind was away, my body had sprinted forward, whipping my blades in a deadly arc that slashed between two of the beast’s armored plates and arced blood out over the battlefield.

[Achievement Unlocked: First Blood]

+50 XP

Objective: Strike a critical hit against a powerful foe.

 

     “Damn fool,” Ike screamed, closing in just a few steps behind me. The rest were following, a symphony of curses as they ringed the monster, a battle dirge piping through from our rear.

     My heart pounded in my chest as I faced the forest shark, the adrenaline surging through my veins. Jeldorain's instincts had taken over, and now I had to deal with the consequences of my impulsive attack. The creature roared in pain, its tiny eyes searching for the source of the pain.

     Kevinar's voice cut through the chaos, commanding us to reform the line and stop moving. I retreated back to my original position, the Ax-Kusarigama held tightly in my hands, ready for the next move.

     The forest shark lumbered forward, its massive body swaying with each step. It seemed to be blinded by my impulsive attack, its vision hindered in the darkness. This provided us with a small advantage, but we couldn't rely on it for long.

     “Spread out and keep it disoriented,” Kevinar called out, and we followed his instructions, circling around the creature while avoiding its deadly jaws. The bard, Brandosyeus, began playing his panpipe again, this time producing a haunting melody that wove through the air, confusing the forest shark further.

     With my heart still racing, I focused on my breathing, trying to steady myself. I was back in control of my actions, but I didn’t know for how long. I had to make sure I didn't lose myself to the dark urges within. The battle was intense, and I couldn't afford to lose my sense of self in the midst of it.

     As we circled the forest shark, Jon and Schustak launched arrows and spells at it, trying to chip away at its health from a distance. The creature bellowed in fury, snapping its massive jaws at anything that came too close.

     I watched for an opening, a chance to strike without putting myself in direct danger. Finally, I saw an opportunity when the forest shark lunged toward Kevinar. Taking advantage of its momentary distraction, I rushed forward, using my infernal strength to propel myself high into the air.

     With a fierce battle cry, I brought down the Kusarigama in an arc, aiming for the creature's exposed neck. The blade connected, slicing through the armored hide and drawing another spray of blood. The forest shark let out a guttural roar, thrashing in pain.

     My landing was rough, but I quickly regained my footing, ready to defend myself from any counterattack. The others continued to rain attacks upon the creature, wearing it down bit by bit.

     As the battle raged on, the forest seemed to come alive with energy. The trees swayed in rhythm with Brandosyeus' music, their very branches reaching out to join us in battle, clubbing the back of the squealing enemy.

     With a final, coordinated effort, we managed to drive the forest shark back, its health dwindling rapidly. Our relentless assault was overwhelming, and the creature finally retreated into the shadows of the forest, to let out one long whistling sigh and collapse in a tremorous death.

 

     VICTORY! 300 XP rewarded! 

 

     The tension in the air dissipated as we caught our breath, realizing that we had survived the encounter. We had fought as a team, supporting each other and overcoming a formidable adversary.

     Kevinar clapped me on the shoulder, a smile breaking through his serious expression. “Impressive, Ryan. You've got the heart of a warrior.”

     I nodded, feeling a sense of accomplishment despite the chaos that had transpired. “Thanks, Kevinar. I couldn't have done it without all of you.”

     “Foolish to charge like that,” Ike reprimanded him. “Forest sharks have a swallow whole attack that can end you in seconds. Be careful.”

     Brandosyeus resumed his music, this time playing a soothing melody that eased the tension in the air, ebbing the adrenaline from our bodies. We moved forward to the corpse, Ike giving it a once over. 

     “Nothing in its inventory, lads, but the armor plates are great treasure on their own. 8 plates, so I’ll take 3 as captain, Kevinar gets 2, you all get one apiece.”

     I nodded, accepted the plate from the kobold and put it in my inventory. 

     “Good to sell?” I asked.

     “Yeah and this is one of those things that are worth fusing. I’d suggest doing that now before you sleep. Was a lucky find, Ryan. I look forward to seeing what you have crafted when we wake in the morning.” Ike tossed me a sack of coins. They clinked as they landed in my outstretched palm.

     We settled back into the camp, the memory of the battle still fresh in our minds and a glowing sense of camaraderie flowing through my body. These people were not just friends. They were better than that. They could be counted on to get me back to where I belonged. Hope and relief commingled through my body, buoying my spirits.

     “Everyone sleep,” Kevinar said, some of them already doing so. “I’ve got the rest of watch. I don’t want to rest anymore anyways.”

     Sitting around the embers of the fire, I lay with my weapon and pulled out the plate I’d gotten from the forest shark. Focusing on them, I imagined fusing them together and watched them sparkle as my ability did its magic.

 

     CRAFTED!

     Behold, the Titan-Ax-Kusarigama. Enchanted by the scales of the fearsome forest shark, imbued with the absolute power of its magic, this weapon is a rare one, and those who can wield it are rarer still. The Titan-Ax-Kusarigama will attain one elemental power during fusion. What will that power be?

 

     I stared at the dialogue, surprised that it was being so interactive. Last time it had been wham, bam, thank you mam, simply throwing me a weapon and being done with the foreplay. But now that it was asking me for personal wants and specifics, I wondered at how customizable some future items might actually be.

     And how easily exploitable.

     “Ice,” I stated, watching as my words turned to game script before my eyes, spreading across my vision like ink on parchment. It was classy, the way it looked, and if I weren’t trapped in another world bereft of my family maybe I would have appreciated it that much more.

 

     Titan-Ax-Icearigama. Epic. A favorite among greater infernals of the Icy Hell, this weapon is capable of not just terrific damage but may also freeze opponents into place for a period of 10 to 20 seconds. Using the weapon in multiple combats will attune the user to it, granting additional powers. 

 

     I looked down at the weapon, astonished by its appearance. The central handle was a polished steel, light blue in color, that registered 12 inches in length. It was wrapped in a fine cured leather that simply screamed comfortable grip and that confused me to no end since no leather had ever been involved in any aspect of its crafting. From the handle’s end extended a shimmering chain, the links covered in a thin coating of frost. Ice motes danced around them, winking in the dull light of the coals of the campfire.

 

     Titan-Ax-Icearigama, Damage 4 to 36 (+10)(x2), Weight 7, Speed Fast, Specials: Freeze (10%) Attunement unknown

 

     The crafting action ended and I was released from my reverie, left to stare at the weapon that sparkled before me. It was unreal. There was no way this was a normal fuse. I took it into my inventory and lay back, watching unnatural constellations gallop through the sky.

     And so, under the observant eyes of the moon, I drifted off to the realm of slumber.

 

 

0