Chapter Twelve – Geared up and Ready to Go
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I apparated my weapon to my hand, feeling a shiver of anticipation ride up the iciness of my bones. Crouched slightly at the knees, I scanned side to side, scanning for enemies.

“Oh relax,” Fenrik said, wiping his sweaty palms on his apron. “I’m a friend of Elira’s if you catch my drift. And Ike’s. Been told we had a special new member of the crew who might have some unique needs. I’m here to figure those out with you.”

The chill of my body refused to ebb, but I locked the door behind me as he had asked, before turning back and taking a single step forward. “I thought humans weren’t allowed to have actual homes or shelters.”

He chuckled, a deep and resonant sound. “They aren’t.” The man’s face shifted, sloughing off definition to change to a hairless doughy gray.

Fenrik was humanoid but utterly featureless—pale, smooth skin stretched over an androgynous form, eyes that were dark endless voids with no seeable end. He seemed to vibrate or shimmer, as if struggling to maintain this form. And with a great sigh, he lapsed back into his former self.

“I see,” I said, staring at the man. My mind raced back to the Lord of Chaos monsterpedia, opening the entry for doppelgangers. There weren’t many in the game, and those that you ran into were often played up to be some huge twist in the quest story. I grunted, imagining what sort of twisted purpose Fenrik might have been set here to perform.

It didn’t matter, though. As far as I could tell, he was just here to give me arms and armor. And whatever else I needed. I decided to play along.

“Alright,” I said cautiously. “Show me what you've got.”

I moved alongside him, warily, as he led me past racks of swords and suits of armor, each sturdy-looking and well-hammered. But it was a shield that caught my attention—a round, shimmering piece, a lined swirl etched through its surface glowing lightly-blue. The piece had five foreign runes, each stamped deeply 90 degrees from the last. Reaching out and touching it simply made me more confused, it didn’t feel like metal at all. More like a thick piece of obsidian, glassy smooth wherever it wasn’t etched or stamped.

“Ah, you've got good taste,” the blacksmith said, lifting the shield off its stand. “This isn't your ordinary shield. It offers protection against flame attacks and has a little trick up its sleeve—it reflects 10 percent of damage back in the direction it came from.”

The game system in my mind buzzed to life, displaying the stats of the shield:

 

Aegis of Retribution, Defensive Rating: 4, Weight: light

The Aegis of Retribution. Crafted from enchanted metals and imbued with powerful warding runes, this is the shield that doesn't just protect; it fights back! Block flames as easily as strolling through a garden and watch as 10% of any damage you take is reflected back upon your assailants. Why merely survive the heat of battle when you can turn the tide? With the Aegis of Retribution, you're not just a defender; you're a vengeful force to be reckoned with.

Special Properties:

Fire Resistance: This item grants 50% immunity to flame-based damage. It also grants a second saving throw versus heat-based attacks.

Reflect Damage: Any strike deflected by the shield will deduct 10% of the attack damage back to the attacker.

 

My eyes widened. It was perfect. There was no way that flame attacks wouldn’t end me quickly and this would at least protect me halfway. I met the doppelganger’s eyes and saw him grinning, a knowing look painted over his face. “How much?” I asked.

“For you? It’s a bunch of favors from Elira and the Society, plus 5000 gold pieces. It’ll put you in debt to your party pool, no doubt. But it’s definitely worth it.”

I didn't hesitate. I took and equipped the shield, immediately feeling its power flow through me. For a moment, it felt like I was a starship, deflector fields buzzing inches above the surface of my glistening blue skin. The feeling left, but I knew the power was still active. Feeling quite satisfied, I put the shield into my inventory.

“Is there anything else I can interest you in?” the blacksmith asked, a twinkle in his eye that made me wonder how much he really knew.

Now I did pause, thinking over the sheer generosity of my hosts. An iced fury built in my gut, threatening to spill out, and I gasped, pushing back at it with all of my might, confusion rolling through my mind. What was I so angry about?

Fenrik’s face turned from smiling compassion to doubt, his eyes locked on mine. I forced a smile.

“Sorry. Stomach pains. Drank too much last night.”

His eyes softened, and he nodded in sympathy. “It must have taken silos of booze to knock you over,” he commented, before strolling forward to show the rest of his goods. I meekly followed, browsing the shelves once again, while pondering what the hell had just happened.

My thoughts left me, though, as I came upon another magnificent item. One that certainly looked made for a giant like me. Fenrik had led me straight here, and one look at the set and the mannequin it shined from told me that this was most definitely a custom job. I cast a curious look at his face, trying to understand why I was getting so much given to me.

 

INSIGHT! CRITICAL FAILURE. YOU HAVE LOST 1/10 OF A LEVEL IN YOUR INSIGHT SKILL. YOUR CURRENT RANK IS B.

 

Hiding a grimace, I stepped forward, laying a hand on the breastplate. It was a black armor that shimmered with an iridescent undertone. Runes looped around the edges of the breastplate, and each piece seemed to vibrate with barely-contained power.

“Tell me about this armor,” I said, stepping away.

His smile widened. “It’s nice, isn’t it? Multi-phasic. Whenever a being sees it, and it isn’t equipped, it is the exact size of the one perusing it.”

The blacksmith smiled, his eyes flashing. “That is the Armor of Entwined Destinies. Imbued with properties that, once daily, can maximize a single action.”

 

Armor Type: Armor of Entwined Destinies, Defensive rating 6, Weight: Medium

Step into the Armor of Entwined Destinies, where fate meets form in a harmonious blend of enchanted metals and mystical fabrics. This isn't just armor; it's an embodiment of destiny interwoven with choice. Each link is inscribed with arcane sigils that fortify your resistance to both physical and magical attacks. But that's not all! As you journey on, this unique armor adapts to the challenges you face, forging a symbiotic relationship that strengthens both wearer and worn. When destiny calls, be prepared to answer clad in armor that makes you more than a warrior—it makes you a legend. The Armor of Entwined Destinies: Where your future finds its fit.

Special Properties:

Elemental Balancing: Increases resistance to all elemental damage by 20%

Duality: Provides a 5% boost to the effectiveness of all abilities

Soul Sync: Once per day, allows the wearer to tap into their deepest potential, amplifying one chosen action to its maximum potency for a short duration

 

“Much like your inner complexities, it can be both a shield and a weapon,” he continued.

I glanced at the stats and hesitated. The armor was powerful, no doubt about it, but something about the term “Soul Sync” had him on edge. Would the armor enhance Jeldorain's influence over me?

The barrier within my mind bent and warped, snapping under the pressure behind it. Fear flooded my mind.

Don't be a fool, Jeldorain's said, his voice echoing through my mind. You’ve made your point and proven your power. Don’t leave such an item behind because you fear me. Harness its power; let it serve both of us.

Relief flooded through my body, sluicing forth from the center of my soul. Why should I be afraid? Jeldorain was right, I had bested him and I could just put him away anytime he went overboard.

I looked at Fenrik. “How much for this Armor of Entwined Destinies?”

“For one as deserving as you, the cost is 10,000 gold coins,” he replied, flashing that smile that told you he already knew the deal was sealed. I nodded, taking the armor from its mannequin, feeling its weight, which was lighter than I'd expected. As I wore it, a strange sensation enveloped me—like a rush of cold and warm air simultaneously flowing through my body. This new feeling, though, slumped to the ever-present question of why. Why was I getting so much given to me by this group so new to my arrival in this world?

“I’m spending all of this money that I don’t have. What is the limit? What exactly is going on around here?” I asked, each sentence tumbling rabid fire one after the next.

Fenrik shrugged. “You’ve accrued a lot of debt here, and it won’t be to me. Your benefactors will be paying me today after you are finished. Any questions you have, you should send their way. But let me say, you’ve gotten a hells of a haul here, so maybe your first words should be to thank them.”

I nodded, my mind clouded by the mystery of it all. “Thank you. I believe it will.”

Exiting the armory, I felt armed, not just with exceptional gear but also with a renewed sense of purpose. However, even with these powerful items, I knew that the real tests were yet to come. It was one thing to wield the Armor of Entwined Destinies and the Dragon's Retribution shield, but mastering them—and myself—was going to be another challenge altogether.

Exiting the marketplace, I felt armed, not just with good gear but also with a renewed sense of purpose. Up to now I’d just been living and reacting, spinning and turning in a sea filled with shock and sadness. Now, having made some of my own decisions, it felt like I was gaining back my life, one step at a time.

But the mystery of all of this charity gnawed at me.

Jeldorain, do you have any idea of what is going on with these people? I asked. The shambles of the barrier between us swept away, fading into nothing as I allowed him to come back. I warily regarded his presence for any sense that he was going to try something, but his soul exude apologetic waves and the feeling that he had been thoroughly chastened.

I might, he purred. I lost some of my observational power when you stuck me behind that screen of yours, but I will keep my eyes and ears open and watch. And when I know, you’ll know.

Flashing my inventory open, I gave my new equipment a once over. I was ready for whatever lay ahead. Closing it, I stepped back into the crowds, on a mission to fill up on the rest of my inventory sundry needs . . . and to understand the role I was being put into with these new friends of mine.

 

 

0