Chapter 23: Anger
226 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

image

Allocation Window

 

image

Bodies mashed, bodies split, bodies partially devoured. People strewn across the road in a scene resembling hell. I thought I would never see such a sight again. It's supposed to be different. I have power here. Strength beyond my wildest imaginings.

I could have not gone. There would have been more officers on the scene quicker.

My fault.

I could have run quicker. Taken over the mines quicker.

My responsibility.

The feeling of failure took over me. My world turned inward. In the bright of day, a shadow cast on my heart.

image

My sight settled on Vanessa, her sword still out, ready to fight to protect those behind her. The same autumn eyes that wavered in front of her sister, stared down at an enemy who could rip her to threads.

The cursed turned its head once more.

image

I roared with my whole soul. Mana exploded in a great blue fire around my body. Blood, guts, and ash were blown away by the gust. The cursed human's attention was fully on me and it slowly walked towards me.

See me. Follow me.

Hearing Gamma behind me, I signed for them to move around and escort the people through the door away from the cursed. I heard a double ting from Jimmy's sword on the ground as an affirmative.

Mana essence flowed around me, I went low, and my hands grabbed the stone and earth below. Blade glowing in a tail stance, I primed my whole body. Every muscle is tensed and ready.

No one else dies.

Black nails clawed my face and rolled to my right with a gash on my left cheek. The cursed's left claw up and my blade met it with a slash. Pale skin was burned by the glowing steel but didn't cut.

A right came for my head and mana armour hand batted it away. Momentum pulled up my greatsword for an upward slice and spry feet took the cursed being back.

Fast…I need its attention on me.

I assumed an orthodox stance. Two hands on my hilt, I stood with my sword, straight. I focused on the swirling smoke, watching its movement with my heightened senses. I needed to put points into mana capacity but the moment my attention left it could be my last.

No…I need to bait it.

I looked slightly to the left of the cursed and it pounced with claws out. Increased agility moved me quickly to guard. A second after it collided with my blade, the air boomed. My feet scooping the earth while I was pushed, I held on against the frightening creature's amazing power.

Argh…Strong bastard…

I took an inward step to the left and I diverted the claws away for thrust to pierce it head. The mana thrust cone of mana only touched air as the possessed human leaned to their left.

Back muscles engaged as I slashed at their neck. Dust blew from a blade, only hitting air. Dipping under my greatsword, it threw a left hook. Unimaginable pain sprouted from my side as the black nails dug in chainmail. Like an unwanted fly, I was whacked into the opposite building. Mana armour saved me from most harm as I crashed heavily into the brick wall. I landed with bits of brick falling on me.

My sword pointed to the floor as it blocked a slash of nails. Skirting across the ground, the cursed went around to flank me with its right. Mana repulsion from my right palm on my sword's edge flung at speed down on the monster coming at left. The cursed human's agile footwork made me miss and my sword cracked the ground. A step to its left, then it zagged directly at me. Black mist consumed the clawed hand, producing bigger claws. I do the same by defending my chest from the black claw with a gauntlet of pure mana. I flew back into the building window, creating a vortex. A home was destroyed as I passed into the other street. I landed in a roll, instantly getting up for a two-handed stance.

“Fuck me…”

I watched it climb over the wreckage of the house. Behind the cursed, Vanessa and the rest are nowhere to be seen. I sighed in relief.

I slowed my breathing. Each inhale and exhale hurt my right side. My four circles spun, and mana flowed rapidly around my greatsword.

No wasted movement.

The cursed broke through the air, closing on me. I lifted my blade to strike down. Immediately, it shifted to my left. My feet redirect to follow it, turning the downward slash into a horizontal slash. Mana saw cut into the surprised monster's chest and it retreated back. Point-enhanced agility allowed me to follow. I rained thrusts upon the cursed who blocked with both arms crossed. The once silent monster screeched as it impatiently threw out four black mana slices from its four long black claws. Feet spread wide, I dodged under, countering with a one-handed jab from low. Its shoulder splashed red and it smashed the ground where I was. Out of the cloud of dust, my sword sliced at its head. The feint tricked it as it leaned back for my lunge. It weaved through, attacking low at my body with both black claws. A black fogged head rebounded off my mana-imbued left knee, and from right to left my sword slashed. A black mist claw grabbed my blade. I felt my sword locked by the cursed's grip. Mist grew on the cursed's right claw and attacked. Mana repelled it with my left palm and my left boot crushed the humanoid's knee. With a loud screech, it let go of my sword in pain, retreating.

I am getting used to its speed.

The cursed panted in the black mist. With it exhausted, I could finally let my focus decrease. I still heard the cries and clangs of battle raging in the distance. By now, Alpha and Beta should have arrived. But for the battle to be still raging, how many spiders could there be? Hundreds? thousands? I needed to finish this quickly. My focus was back on the enemy.

I will not fail this city any more. I will be worthy of the Greystone name.

My left, black-gloved hand grabbed the ground. Fingers scooped the road beneath like butter. The sword of Osberg whizzed like rushing water as its edge turned into a sword of mana. I watched it. Studied it. Left? Right?

Straight it went, the ground became dust as it rushed for me.

It's slower.

The wind pulled my face. My cloak flapped in the vortex and I met the cursed halfway with a big slash. A crescent light forced the monster back into a wall, shaking the building. I sprang again. My blade point pierced the right collarbone. My mana blade sawed a few inches deep before the cursed hit it away, ripping it through its shoulder. A scratch from under was parried and I thrust through the mist into its abdomen, feeling the durable body inside.

Skin sizzled around the wound and I pulled it out to bat away a claw. I feel its desperation in its attacks. I parry them, and riposting with anger fueling my strikes. Against the wall, with nowhere to run, I lacerate. My greatsword cut and sliced. Red painted the floor and wall and I kept slicing. The black mist enveloping the cursed was slowly ripped away with every bash of my sword.

It screeched with every strike to its chest. It slumped against the wall and I hit it more. It sat on the ground and the flat of my blade whacked the cursed until the mist disappeared over its face.

A young man. Pale skin, black veins, and red eyes looked at me. His eyes were begging.

For what? Mercy?

I struck him again. His head dented with each hit of the flat. Keep hitting. His head concaved and I hit.

“YOUR GRACE!”

Woken up from my rage, I turned my head.

Jimmy ran to me and froze as he scanned me. I looked down at the mess I had created. A boy’s head, pulp on the pavement.

Ah...

I exhaled while holding my bleeding side. “Report.”

“Her Grace and others are with Gamma.”

Good…

“Alpha and Beta have arrived to fight with the rest of the city's guard. However, the numbers…sire, there are too many…”

I turned to him and my boots rippled the pool of blood. “Why are you here?”

“Duke… There is a third high-tier cursed. Worth ten fourth circles. A giant arachnid and its tailing Gamma. ”

I flicked off blood and brains from my weapon.

“Where?”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I hope you liked the fight.

17