Chapter 34: Falling
152 1 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Duke

Damn…

My arms swinging like loose spaghetti, I bent. Frozen in time, I still felt her lips as she went to unroll the blanket. I could not let a single kiss mess me up.

Tarion, Mate, lock the fuck in!

“Horse!” My voice squeaked.

Oh geez…

“What?” Vanessa held her laughter back, smiling at me.

I cleared my throat.“How’s the horse?” I said, fidgeting with my cloak.

She watched the horse graze, sitting on the red blanket. “She’s perfect.” She looked back at me. “Thank you.”

Her lips filled my whole vision. I tried to look away but I was drawn back to her streams of golden locks falling down her back like a waterfall. Sitting while holding her knees to her chest, the eyes of spring and fall track me. Never letting me go from its grasp. She knows she has me. But I must endure. For the mission.

I walked to the blanket to sit down and ask her. “What will you name her?”

She thought for a moment. “Divine.”

On the nose.

image

Do they only speak when she is around?

“It is a beautiful name. Matches its owner.”

“Oh? How so?” She inquired with a curious face.

“Because that’s how it feels to be around you.” The words escaped my mouth.

Shut the fuck up, Tarion!

“Mmm…” She said, picking up a wrapped piece of food, placing it on a pewter plate. She unwrapped it and held it up to the sun.

“What is this?” she said, holding something of modern design. I stood up straight, trying to recover.

“A sandwich. I pioneered this ingenious design all by myself in the kitchens. Sliced bread, bacon, lettuce, and tomatoes. Try it.”

Vanessa examined the triangle from all angles. “You cooked…?”

“If I can slay monsters, I can put some ingredients together. But today made me certain one is easier for me to do.”

Vanessa giggled. “What a Duke you are. Whenever we speak, it's like talking to one of the mercenaries at the pub at Hamber.”

“I hope that's a compliment, cos’ I am taking it as one.”

Vanessa continued chuckling and took a bite out of the sandwich. “Wow. It actually tastes good.” She said as she chewed with wide eyes on the sandwich.

I breathed out in relief and leaned back. “Thank the lands above you like it. The mayonnaise was a pain to make.”

She looked at me with that inescapable gaze and tapped the blanket beside her. “Why are you sitting so far away? It's like you want to avoid me for some explicable reason.” She grinned, rubbing a place next to her. “Come.”

“Yes, Milady.” Like a drone, my body scooted over to sit beside the duchess. I tried to inch away so I wouldn't be pulled into the event horizon of her presence.

“Stop gawking and eat.” I take a sandwich half from her and chew.

Oh! She wasn't lying to spare me.

Vanessa took a grape from the basket. “Here,” and put it straight in my mouth. Almost staggered forward from laughing too much at my reaction.

I can't fall.

I turned to look at the solitary Clouds floating in the sunny blue sky over the city. The view astounded me every time.

“How was it? Meeting the socialites at The Petal. Oh, and I made a cheese and ham sandwich if you want.”

Her eyes beam with excitement while she rummages in the basket after finishing two blt triangles.

“It was daunting.” She chewed while speaking. Typical ladylike manners were thrown out whenever we were alone. However, it makes me happy to be the one she can let loose with. “A lot of old women who are stuck in their old ways. Trying to convince themselves that the words still have sway. And my sister was trying to make use of their gullibility to get them to betray you.”

“My stepmother's idea?”

“Definitely. My sister’s brain is too filled with audacity to fit any ideas.” I laughed, leaning forward to grab a sandwich for me and Vanessa and some grapes. I should cook more, I am a genius.

“Do not worry, as I made sure they understood the way of things.”

I instantly remember the balding with a rattail braid. Cocky, he was. I will make sure to destroy that confident facade.

“I have no cause for worry when you are taking the lead.” She turned away, trying to hide the smile I loved.

Loved…Stop with the foolishness.

“Umm, I-I think I could sway the younger ladies, several of them seem to be smart girls who may be willing to work with me. Especially the Lady Lea Trak. Interesting woman.”

“Lea Trak? Or should I call her Countess Trak.” I bent over for another sandwich and touched hers. We blushed with smiles, chewing with our cheeks full.

“She has a younger brother, a young preteen, who will assume the role soon.”

“What do you think of her?”

She speaks with chewing “She has poise. Very aware of her surroundings. knows How to manage the conversation while knowing when to give her opinion. It's like she was bred for this.”

“I mean, it kind of comes with the territory of being a noble. Show dogs bred for flash and little substance.”

“Show Dogs?”

“A weird hobby. Don't worry about it. How did she react to you being there?” I asked.

“Strangely. She was…pleased?”

My eyebrow went up. “That is strange indeed.” I picked a grave from the bunch and before I could notice, Vanessa grabbed my hand and ate my grape. Her lips grazed my fingers and electricity zapped through my body.

“Greedy, aren't you?” she said with a cheeky smile.

I gulped. Oh, dear… Don't. Fall.

“Lea Trak,” she continued, “was the most supportive on the table. She was quite a fan of the Ravens and their work in Mouve. However, after investigating more into her, I understand why.”

I leaned in. “Explain.”

“Jen asked around her manor and there were rumours of problems within the Trak home. Former help of the Count’s Manor told stories of harsh punishment used on the lady while a gentle feather was used on the boy. For a man who loved women's bodies, he hated the mind inside.”

“Do what you plan to do. I will give you my support.” I told her.

Stunned for a moment, she's back to her beautiful smile. “I will.”

I uncrossed my legs to lie on the blanket with my hands on the back of my head. White clouds above drift slowly in the blue sea and feel peace and quiet that I had never felt.

“Wow. I'm so full.”

“That was even a fourth of what you eat normally.”

“Good food makes you feel full.” I grinned at Vanessa over my chest.

I watched the sky, staring at the cumulus clouds gently floating and minutes of silence went by until Vanessa sighed deeply. “I'm getting impatient.”

“What wrong-woah…” Vanessa, with her riding trousers, climbed on top of me. With my body between her legs, she put her hands on my chest.

“If you want to escape, answer me.” The sun shone behind her like a halo, and she looked down with sultry eyes of honey and green. Every bit of my mental fortitude was used to control myself. I was worried about the event horizon, not realising I had already been sucked in.

I have fallen.

I have fallen in love.

“Why must we divorce?” The dreaded question. “It is obvious how we feel for one another. So why are you still adamant about throwing it away?” I turned away and she brought my face back to hers.

“Answer.”

Can I? Can I tell her that her entire life is predicated by some obscure manwha. That she must proceed to marry the prince and save the world. Should I tell her to let me go and follow her destiny? I ask you, those above. Can I?

No answer.

Do I want to?

“Husband…” Her eyes pleaded for an answer.

“I-I…”

Every second with her on top of me, the control I have is shaken evermore.

“I see… Then,” Vanessa slowly unclasped the top buttons of my dark doublet and bent down. “Maybe this will provoke an answer…”

Soft lips touched my neck and the last remnant of control I had was gone.

The duchess.

 

He spun me around like a pillow of the lightest feathers and we swapped places. The beast’s eyes crave for me. Hunger and reason fought within his mind and hunger prevailed as he launched at me. Our lips are a mess of desire. Tongue locked in dance. I surrendered myself to the beast of luna skin, wrapping my arms around him. From lip to chin, neck to chest, I felt his kiss. Bliss from heaven heated me up as I felt his head on my bosom.

Then nothing.

I opened my eyes and saw a beast's chest heaving. Reason has gained control and I lamented.

“I am sorry… Please trust me. Please…”

The beast looked to the sky, calming himself down with large breaths. I sat up, arms around the warrior, and I heard his heart going out of control like mine.

“It doesn’t matter. Tell me or not.” I looked up at him. “I will be by your side.“

As Tarion squeezed me tight, I missed the beast whose scarlet eyes yearned for me.

The Butler.

 

Walking down Coddy Lane with Beatrice, I carried numerous different text book about potion formulas and ingredients. On the way to a third apothecary, I heard strange footsteps following from behind.

“Beatrice…?”

“Oh? You're getting good. Don’t worry. It's a friend.” Her cold demeanour immediately softened as she turned to the stranger. “Any updates?” The hooded figure stepped up, noticeable hurt on their shoulder.

“Here. Location of a slave transport.” She said, with a foreign twang to her voice. She gave a folded piece of paper to Beatrice before holding Umbra’s forearm.

“Please make it worth it.” The hood cannot hide the utter despair. With both hands on the stranger’s face, Beatrice placed her head on theirs.

“I swear. On my family's honour, it will be done. I will make sure you rise above the ash of the horn’s destroyed empire.” I heard weeping and turned away from the intimate moment between them. But I cannot ignore a fair lady in distress, I was not raised by wolves. From my breast pocket, I took out a handkerchief. “Here Milady.”

Eyes bounced from the handkerchief to me with suspicion, and eventually, she swiped it off me. “Thank you, big man.”

The stranger wiped her eyes. “ I better go…” I saw her eyes notice the books and tomes I carried. “Friedland Medicine? Bleugh.” She sniffed.

“What's wrong with it?” I enquired.

“If you weren't so racist, you would have healthier people. Come down to Lui town. I will show you where real medicine is made.”

A new avenue I was unaware of. I was eager to learn.

“In fact, we can go there now.”

The Spare.

I wore my Osberg guard uniform under the hot, sweltering sun, thrusting for the hundred and fifty-sixth time, sweating until my breeches and drenched and my foot made a mark on the stone floor. Around fifty other new recruits do the same in the Osberg Guard barrack. When my brother suggested I work for my coin, I thought he would send me to work with the knights and not mingle with the commoner First Circles. To be thrown down to the gutter was already repulsive but to struggle more than them… I looked to my sides and saw boys my age, with passionate eyes, pierce the air. I shook with exhaustion, while my fellow guard kept their form tight from sword arm to foot position. Their mana was stable yet potent, matching their built bodies. I had never seen first circles with this much discipline until my brother came along. Between lunges, I spied on my brother. His senses would have caught me by now but he looked different. More withdrawn. It was as if his mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, stopping him from interacting with the real world. After two hundred, the drill was complete and yet my brothers eyes looked into the distance.

“Tarion! Your, Grace!!” He jolted.

“Umm? Done? Good. Proceed with one on one spars.” And his eyes glazed over again.

“Yes, Your Grace!” The commoner shouted with fervour but I only got more irate. How dare he force me to go with stupidity, and he can be bothered to concentrate. I step out of my line.

“Where are you going?” His glare stopped my tracks, almost making me urinate.

He is just my brother.

“What going on with you-”

A guard ran through the barracks courtyard to meet with the Duke. “CURSED! HUMAN CURSED! DESAW ROAD!”

His glazed eyes, now full of life he, turned to me with an evil smile that gave me a wave of goosebumps.
“Wanna go on a trip?” Before I could react, he wrapped his arm around my body. I struggled out of his rock-like grip in vain. With fast fingers, he touched the air with strange motions.

“Tired of training? Let's get you some experience.”

“What do you-AAAAAAAA” The skin of my face was stretched back as he jumped into the sky and the commoner guards were little dots on the ground.

 
10