Chapter 2: Ivy Covered Demon
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I grabbed the banister and braced myself, trying to pull my leg out of the hole. But the banister creaked and groaned under my weight and the wood splinters dug into my calf, not letting go. I could feel the blood running down my leg.

Travis’ scream grew louder. With the sound of heavy footsteps, he came running into view, face pale. He ran right past me, barreling down the steps two at a time. I tried to reach for him, calling out, “Travis, help!” But my fingertips only snagged the hem of his T-shirt, not even slowing him down. Near the bottom of the stairs he slipped and fell, tumbling down the last few stairs and then laying still on the dusty, moldy carpet at the bottom, “Travis!”

I reached down to the hole in the stairs and started tugging at the shards of rotten wood stuck in my leg. Just as I tore a piece free and tossed it aside, I heard footsteps coming down the hallway Travis had just come from, along with a strange rustling sound. I redoubled my efforts to free my leg, too scared to look up the stairs at what was coming.

“Why are you so loud?” a hoarse voice asked from the top of the stairs.

I froze, the skin on the back of my neck prickling. The voice continued and the top stair squeaked, “though I suppose I should thank you for waking me up. It would’ve been bad if I slept any longer.” As he spoke the stairs creaked, he was slowly coming closer.

I finally managed to wrench my leg free and, leaning against the rail, stumbled down the steps.

“Hey, why are you ignoring me? Are you deaf?” something tugged at the back of my collar even though the voice still sounded multiple steps up. I hesitated briefly and heard the voice say, “turn around and look at me or I’ll kill you.”

Cold sweat dripping down my back, I turned around to see the most beautiful man I’d ever seen-

(Too fucking sappy.

But it’s true!

No it isn’t, I looked like shit that day.

Alright alright. How about...)

Cold sweat dripping down my back, I turned around to see my future husband.

(Better?

...Marginally...)

0