Episode IV: Give the dog a bone
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lumina's Farewell, a bioluminescent bay and beach just outside the main city, opposite the docks. At the right time, the double dancing stars light can be seen setting over the horizon, a sight to see. Elites often park their yachts here and enjoy the mind-boggling scenery, but they rarely stay. There is no time for day dreaming and partying in the city of progress, Lumina Prime. There is however one dark red yacht that's always going back and forth lately, from the ocean, to inside the bay, then back out the ocean again. Let's find out why, shall we?

We zoom in on this yacht, there are people in tailored black suits with slim cuts for both men and women. Some had white shirts and blouses, but all had subtle accents of deep crimson or dark purple thread woven into the fabric. They all held on to metal batons as they guarded around the yacht. A speedboat using magnetohydrodynamic drive approaches the big boat. The henchmen located the coming stranger, the ship sends a signal to identify themselves. Huando sends a reply to the yacht, "It's me, fokers. Let me in."

The henchmen see Huando turn back into Bartholomew, and they let him board the yacht. He carried a sack dripping blood on his shoulder before heading inside. At the entrance hatch, a lady with multiple metal arms reaching from her back blocked him.

"You can't go inside, Jerma's orders."

"I've got something to flip his mind. Get tf outta my way, bitch."

Bart tries to shove her to the side, lady uses her metal limbs from her back to push him out, lifting him by the torso with her shoulder arms.

"Fuck is wrong wit you, bitch?"

"I said what I said. That's that, now YOU get out of here."

A low accented voice echoes from the inside, "Stacy Baby, I changed my mind. It would seem that he has something after all."

Stacy eyed Bart before letting him in. He grinned and smacked her ass. Two of her arms quickly grabbed his hand and broke it like a glowstick. Bart bends down, she knees his jaw. Stacy slams him to the wall, the yacht swayed a bit.

"Come now, you two. We have much to do."

The two knuckleheads obediently followed. His injuries steadily healed. The warmth of the carpeted floor heated their cold feet. The old people aroma of the red candles permeated the room. The maids in red opened the curtains for the night light and sea breeze to flow in. At the end of the cabin, a slim figure covered in shadows sat on a throne.

"Now, Bart. Give me a reason not to dispose of you at this very moment. After that failure of an assassination, I lost one good man and now the entire city knows of us."

Bart gulped. Jerma hurried him, "SPEAK!"

"I've g-"

Jerma rises, "YOU'VE ONE JOB! ONE JOB, AND YOU MANAGED TO-"

Jerma stopped himself. Breathe in, Breathe out.

"Doesn't matter... We adapt to the changing tides, as we've always done... Continue."

Bart threw the bag on the floor before him. Leah Rakishi's decapitated corpse and her head. Bart changes into Huando. Jerma oh'd.

"I bargain, two heads of the state. Don't fucking banish me anymore, and make me replace Juan's position."

Jerma looks at Leah's bloody head. He chuckled softly. "Mmhmmm..."

SLAD! SLAD! SLAD!

"Mmhmmmmm...."

Jerma slams his cane to the floor again, SLAD! SLAD!

"Mmhmmmmmmm...."

Bart looks at Stacy, "Fuck is he doin?", she ignores him.

SLAD!

"Good... Give the dog a bone."

Servants hurriedly dressed Bart up in white, he kinda looks like Kanye in his Runaway Music Video. He checked himself out, checking the fit and the drip fr. Dusts off his new suit, yeaahhh, shimmy shimmy, you know?

"Now out. I don't ever want to see your face again unless you've got good news. I've got a meeting with Valorin."

Stacy forcefully kicked out Bart the yacht, into his speedboat. We pan out from the bay to focus on a warehouse nestled near the beach. Vernadette and Damien step onto the gravel ground, veering away from the road. Damien lights a cigarette, the flame casting a warm glow. Verna nudges his shoulder, "you've got any more of that?"

Damien reaches for a cig into his coat pocket and flicks it to her. He then takes out his favoured skull themed lighter and lights her up. With a cig between her lips, she murmurs, "Cool lighter, customised?"

Damien mhmed a confirmation, "My partner makes them. I could get her to make you one if you want."

Verna's eyes widened with interest, "Damn," she says, stumbling on her words, "W-well not that I was surprised you had someone. You are attractive, I'll give you that. Don't take this the wr-"

Damien smirks, cutting her off, "None taken, don't sweat."

The two share a smoke as they walk, a comfortable silence enveloping them. Verna gazes up at the sky thoughtfully, "Yeah, maybe I should get one. Is business good?"

Damien looks down, his expression darkens lightly, "Nah, it's been slow lately actually. But she's got another gig. Said she'll try becoming an influencer again." As the warehouse looms closer, they extinguish their cigarettes. Verna quickly fixes her hair, glancing at the imposing structure. "This is the warehouse?" she asks, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

 

"From what I remember. Those two didn't really let me in. I haven't even gotten this close."

 

Verna marks the location and sends it to Lex using the gadget on her arm. With a tap to her mask's green serpent eyes, she records their approach to the warehouse. Vee's eyes narrow as they get a closer visual. The exterior appears unassuming, just an old abandoned warehouse, designed not to draw attention and avoid suspicion. Verna anticipates a cult's clandestine meeting place, but as she catches glimpses of the dilapidated interior through cracked and crumbling walls, weathered doors, and rust-streaked, shattered windows, she sees nothing remarkable. Inside, it's just an abandoned warehouse—no symbols, no blood painted on the floor, nothing. Verna looks at Damien with a puzzled expression.

 

"Huh, are you sure this is it?"

 

"Hmm..." Damien mumbles, covering his mouth with his fist in contemplation.

"I mean, surely they wouldn't show me this place if it's nothing special. We should split up, scour the area, and meet at the front, near the beach."

The two part ways. Damien begins circling the warehouse, while Verna enters cautiously, careful not to disturb anything. Vee scans the surroundings using multiple visions—her own eyes, heat signals, and UV rays—but finds nothing of note. Suddenly, their attention is captured by the thunderous rumble of a truck traversing the gravel road. Damien glances anxiously towards the warehouse, wanting to warn Verna about the approaching company, but knowing she can handle herself and that he's more likely to be discovered first since he's outside. Unable to shout, he simply trusts her instincts and takes cover behind the nearby bushes. The truck grinds to a halt, and two figures leap out, their footsteps echoing audibly. With a loud slam, they shut the door behind them. Damien peeks cautiously, pressing down on the bush to get a better view. Two men emerge, but he struggles to identify them in the brief glimpse and distance. Quickly, he vaults over the bush and slides down, pressing his back against the warehouse wall. Their voices are familiar, but he can't pinpoint them. Inside, Vernadette utilizes her suit's ability to blend into her surroundings like a snake with camouflage. Durt sits on a crate, while Marc leans against a pole, clipboard and pen in hand.

 

"Woo, we've got a lot more work to do. Plenty more districts to turn."

 

"Hell yeah, brother. Sooner or later, they'll call for Duck."

 

Verna tapes them both, scanning and identifying them. The information shows that they are just ordinary people with no criminal records. She wonders to herself, "Why would campaign managers come here?"

 

Then she hears the sound of a speedboat behind her. Verna peeks out the window and sees Bart hopping down from the boat and heading towards the warehouse. Her heart begins to race, her fists clenched. She sneaks out through the beach exit and aims her slingshot at the unsuspecting Bart. But before she can fire a shot, Damien sneaks up behind her and pulls her into the shadows.

"Don't," he whispers.

"I'm not going to kill him, I just need answers."

"Control your emotions-" Verna snaps. "Don't tell me what to d-"

Damien holds both of her hands and interrupts, "Look at me and listen. I know those two back there. I need to know why they're affiliated with Bart."

Verna pulls her hand away. Damien whispers, "Do this for me, please?"

 

Verna isn't happy, but she agrees. There's a bigger picture to be painted, and they're out of ink. The two hide under the warehouse window, ears pricked, ready to listen.

 

"Hey brother! We have good news!"

 

"That's right! By this day alo-"

 

"Ain't no one cares. Now listen, lemme tell you something. Aight, tomorrow's gonna be a big day, so I want both of y'all asses and the others to show up. Right around the Luxanna tower, just be ready there, aight?"

 

Verna and Damien exchange looks.

 

"W-Well of course! Yeah, we'll be there. Uhh... Can I ask why?"

 

"Big Boss is gonna make a big move. Don't fuck this up."

 

"Yeah, we'll be there. I'll also notify the others."

 

"Hell yeah, brother!"

 

Verna and Damien share a concerned look. They both mutter to themselves, her asking "Big move?" And him "Big Boss?"

 

She pulls him away from the warehouse. "Damien, they're coming for the Luminary, we have to move now!"

 

"What are we supposed to do? It's not like we can meet her anytime we want."

 

Verna looks to the ground with a disturbed face, crossing her arms. Damien looks back at the warehouse and watches the three men get into the truck and drive away.

 

"Good, they're gone."

 

"Okay, I've got an idea on how to meet her immediately. Just leave it to me, I need you to give the files we got earlier to Mav."

 

Verna and Damien hug each other quickly before parting ways.

 

"You've got it. Keep yourself safe, V. You never know who's the enemy."

 

Verna looks back. "Likewise. I'll contact you if I've got updates." Before disappearing into the city. Damien leans against the warehouse, lighting up a cigarette as he watches the suns sink below the horizon. Similarly, at the top of the Luxanna tower, the Luminary, Lysandra, steps out onto her balcony to pour herself a drink. Her diamond-studded heels click against the pristine glass floor as she settles into an authentic wooden cradle, observing the sunset and moonrise. Inside, Felicia buzzes from the intercom, announcing the arrival of someone from the AIB with important intel.

"Leah?"

"Agent L1S42X, Ma'am."

Lysandra takes a sip from her glass, her thoughts drifting to Vernadette. Felicia waits expectantly for a response, but the Luminary remains silent for a while.

 

"Let her in."

 

Felicia follows her orders, ushering Vernadette out onto the balcony. Vee stands before Lysandra in her AIB jumpsuit uniform, but before she can speak, Lysandra dismisses Felicia.

"Lys, you need to get aw-"

"Don't you talk to me that way, Vee."

Verna was shut up quickly despite the Luminary's sweet and soft tone.

"Sorry, but this news nee-"

"They're coming for the queen, I already know that."

Lysandra could feel the dagger for eyes that Vee's got, piercing through her back.

.

.

.

.

"They're making a big move tomorrow, how much do you really know?"

"I know of Scarlet Serpent, boo."

Verna feels a sharp sting in her chest, rendering her speechless, her limbs frozen.

"You see, you've forced their hand with all the vigilantism you've been doing. And at the same time, you've pushed us. This 'Impostor Epidemic' should've never been this big. We could've resolved this in the background, without alerting the public."

Verna clenches her fists. "You know why I did what I did. If you guys were so competent, I wouldn't have gone rogue."

 

She waits for a reply, but is met with silence.

 

"Trust and faith, is that hard to do? You're only making yourself and your loved ones a target. I know how that feels, you don't want to be in their crosshairs."

Verna wanted to reply but couldn't. It was like her throat was glued. Lysandra gets up from her seat and approaches Verna, reaching out to hold her hand.

"I am asking you this once, on behalf of everything and everyone you love. Leave your cape at home."

Verna wanted to smack the fuck out of the Luminary right there and then. But she held herself back, remembering Damien's advice. She pulls her hand away from Lysandra and strides to the balcony's edge.

"Your father was an incredible fuck, Vee. Dick so good, makes me want to take care of you."

"Go fuck yourself, Lysandra. If you really want to die, then fucking die then. Fucking bitch, I hope they gutter you and your entire family."

Lysandra smiles, her hands pressed together against her chest. Verna flips her off with both hands before leaping off the balcony. As Verna plummets from the balcony, her heart races with adrenaline as her suit activates, ensuring her safety in the fall. Despite the rush of wind and the chaos of the moment, she finds herself suspended in a moment of introspection.

Facing the vast expanse of the night sky, she feels a sense of weightlessness both physically and emotionally. The stars above seem to twinkle with an otherworldly serenity, casting a gentle glow upon her as she descends. In the tranquillity of the night, amidst the backdrop of shimmering stars, Verna's mind begins to wander. She questions the path she's chosen, the risks she's taken, and the consequences of her actions. Doubt creeps in, like tendrils of mist swirling around her, obscuring her clarity of purpose.

 

Is she doing the right thing?

Is her quest for justice worth the sacrifices she's made?

 

As she falls through the darkness, these thoughts linger in her mind, echoing with each beat of her heart. But amidst the uncertainty, there is a sense of solace in the embrace of the night sky. The cool breeze caresses her skin, and for a fleeting moment, she feels a connection to something greater than herself. It's as if the universe itself is whispering words of comfort, urging her to trust in the path she's chosen. As she continues her descent, Verna finds a sense of peace settling over her. Though the road ahead may be fraught with challenges and doubts, she knows deep down that she must stay true to herself and her convictions.

Vernadette descends like the elevator that Damien is on. In the depths of the building, Damien descends in an elevator, the familiar ding signalling his arrival. Maverick awaits him in the dimly lit hallway, his gaze fixed on Damien as he approaches.

"Do you have it?" Maverick asks, his tone edged with urgency.

"Will you be okay?" Damien counters, concerns etched in his features.

"Just throw it and be on your merry way. I want to do this alone," Maverick insists.

Damien hesitates for a moment before retrieving an envelope from his pocket and sliding it across the ground. Maverick nods in acknowledgment.

"Call me," Damien says softly.

"I will, thank you. Now go," Maverick responds, his gaze unwavering.

As the elevator doors close, Damien and Maverick hold a silent exchange, their eyes locked in understanding. With a final nod, Damien disappears from view, leaving Maverick alone in the hallway, his thoughts consumed by the task ahead.

As Maverick arrived at the vault, his heart pounded with anticipation. The word "Chim" stared back at him from the padlock, a grim reminder of the secrets hidden within. With trembling hands, he opened the envelope and entered the passcode, the mechanism yielding to his touch with a metallic click. Pushing the heavy vault door aside, he was met with darkness, a chilling reminder of the shadows that haunted his past.

 

Hesitation gripped him like a vice as memories flooded his mind. He recalled the longing for his mother's touch, the warmth of her embrace, and the protection she had once offered him against his father's tyranny. But those memories were tainted by the horrors he had endured, the scars etched into his flesh a constant reminder of the cruelty he had faced.

 

"It's now or never. I have to know," Maverick muttered, steeling himself for what lay ahead. With determination in his eyes and fists clenched at his sides, he took a tentative step into the darkness, the echoes of past horrors ringing in his ears.

 

Screeches of pain and despair reverberated through the vault, mingling with the chilling laughter of his father. Giant syringes, scissors snipping. He would remember his wrist and ankles hurting, the cold feel of metal beneath his skin. Some nights he wished his body just gave up right then. Maverick closed his eyes, blocking out the haunting sounds as he pressed forward. It didn't matter anymore; he had to uncover the truth, no matter the cost.

 

As he navigated the dim passageways, he felt a sense of dread settle over him like a shroud. But he pushed through, driven by a desperate need for answers. Finally, he reached a rusted door barely holding back the what's within. Through the cracks and tears, he caught a glimpse of a figure crouched on the floor, arms wrapped tightly around her knees.

 

Maverick creaked open the door, revealing his mother huddled in the shadows. Their eyes met, one filled with wrath, the other with fear, as the weight of their shared past hung heavy in the air.

As Chim crawled towards him, her movements strained and feeble, Maverick's chest tightened with a mix of revulsion and anguish. Her broken wings trailed behind her, feathers falling in her wake, while a sickly substance oozed from her wounds, staining the ground beneath her. Each laboured movement seemed to weigh her down, her head bobbing precariously as if her neck could barely support the weight.

 

Maverick's breath came in short, ragged gasps as he watched his mother's approach, his fists clenched at his sides. With each faltering step she took, his anger boiled over until he could contain it no longer. With a gruntful roar, he stomped forward, his foot connecting with her frail form with a sickening thud.

Then he kicks her again, and again. She squeals like a puppy whose tail is stepped on by a human. Maverick followed up, kick and kick, one after the other. There was barely any space left in the room, eventually, she hit the cage bars. Mother closed her eyes, weak arms shielding her head.

 

Chim's eyes, once bright with hope and love, now dulled by years of torment, met his gaze, but she remained silent, her lips trembling with unspoken words. She was a prisoner of her own broken spirit, unable to defend herself against the accusations hurled at her by her own son.

 

"Why didn't you protect me?!" Maverick's voice reverberated through the room, filled with anguish and accusation. "Why did you let him do this to me?!"

 

Chim's lips trembled, but no words escaped her mouth, her silence a painful reminder of her complicity in his suffering. Unable to bear the weight of his unanswered questions, Maverick continued his assault, his blows raining down upon her like a relentless storm.

 

"The pain he made me feel... The horrors of every experiment... HE MADE US HIS GUINEA PIGS, MOTHER! AND YOU... YOU DID NOTHING! YOU JUST LET HIM DO THIS TO ME... TO ME!"

 

With each word, Maverick's voice cracked with emotion, his rage burning brighter with every passing moment. He lashed out with all the strength he could muster, his fists pounding against her fragile form until his anger was spent, leaving him empty and exhausted. Yet, despite his fury, Chim remained silent, her eyes closed in resignation as she bore the weight of her son's accusations.

 

As Maverick hurled Chim against the table, the room erupted in chaos, pictures and files scattering to the ground like leaves in a storm. Amidst the wreckage, Maverick's eyes fell upon the remnants of Chim's past – a haunting tableau of manipulation and betrayal that laid bare the truth of her suffering.

Among the scattered documents, Maverick found a series of files detailing his father's insidious schemes:

"Project: Birdshot, my first experiment."

"Infiltrate the Aerathalians, hire people to kidnap the princess..."

"Murder the mercenaries, be a savior to Chim..."

"Lock in basement, Isolate from friends and family..."

Each line a damning indictment of his father's cruelty, each word a dagger aimed at his mother's heart. As Maverick sifted through the evidence, his hands trembling with rage and disbelief, he stumbled upon two photographs that brought him to his knees. The first, a picture of Chim as a young girl, her face radiant with innocence as she stood among her family, the Aerathalians. The second, a stark contrast to the first – Chim bound and bloodied, her wings torn and tattered, a shadow of the girl she once was. The pictures fell off his shaking and weak hands. His eyes started tearing up, she looks at Chim once more.

"You were just a girl," Maverick whispered, the weight of his words heavy with regret. In that moment, he saw his mother not as the broken creature before him, but as the innocent victim of his father's machinations – a pawn in a game she never chose to play. He was so fuelled with rage that it blinded him from seeing his mother and her sufferings. He had been too harsh on her.

With a trembling hand, Maverick reached out to his mother, his touch tentative as he brushed away her tears. Chim clung to him, her frail form trembling with emotion, her cries a haunting echo of the pain she had endured. In that moment of profound realization, Maverick felt the weight of his own culpability pressing down upon him. He saw himself reflected in Chim's shattered form, a mirror image of the man he despised most – his father. And in that reflection, he saw the truth of his own complicity in his mother's suffering.

In that moment of clarity, Maverick vowed to break free from the cycle of violence and manipulation that had consumed his family. Chim will never hurt again. Never again...

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

As the clock struck midnight, Maverick and Chim stood together on the balcony, the weight of their shared pain hanging heavy in the air. Maverick's hand shook as he raised the gun, his gaze locked with his mother's, but he couldn't bring himself to pull the trigger. Instead, he lowered the weapon, a silent testament to the bond that still lingered between them.

 

In that moment of profound understanding, Maverick made a solemn vow – his mother would never again suffer at the hands of Sheridan or anyone else. With a gentle push, he urged Chim to spread her wings and fly, to leave behind the cage of her past and embrace the freedom that awaited her.

 

For a brief, fleeting moment, Chim soared through the night sky, her frail wings carried by the wind. It was a bittersweet taste of liberation, a poignant reminder of the life she had longed for but never dared to dream of. As Chim soared through the night sky, her frail wings caught the gentle breeze, carrying her higher and higher with each beat. For the first time in what felt like an eternity, she felt truly alive, unburdened by the weight of her past and the shackles of her suffering. With each passing moment, the world below seemed to shrink away, replaced by the vast expanse of the star-studded heavens above.

 

As she climbed higher, the cool night air caressed her feathers, sending shivers of exhilaration down her spine. The rush of wind against her face, the thrill of freedom coursing through her veins – it was an intoxicating sensation, unlike anything she had ever experienced before. For once, she felt unchained, unbound by the constraints of her captivity.

 

With each graceful arc and elegant swoop, Chim revelled in the sheer joy of flight. She danced among the stars, her movements fluid and effortless, as if she had been born to soar through the heavens. For a brief, fleeting moment, she was no longer a prisoner of her past, but a creature of pure light and freedom.

 

As she gazed down upon the world below, a sense of awe washed over her. The city lights twinkled like a sea of diamonds, casting a soft glow upon the landscape below. From this vantage point, she could see the world in all its beauty and wonder – a vast tapestry of life and possibility stretching out before her.

 

In that moment, Chim felt truly alive, her heart soaring alongside her as she embraced the boundless skies above. For once, she was in control, the master of her own destiny, and nothing – not even the weight of her past – could hold her back. With a triumphant cry, she spread her wings wide and soared ever higher, a beacon of hope and freedom against the backdrop of the night. But as reality set in, her wings began to falter, her strength waning with each passing moment.

 

Then she SLAMS to the ground below, a crowd gathered around her, their voices a cacophony of awe and concern. But Chim paid them no mind, her eyes fixed on the endless expanse of the night sky above. With tears of joy streaming down her face, she smiled, knowing that for a brief moment, she had tasted true freedom.

 

And though her journey had come to an end, her spirit remained unbroken, her resolve unshakable. As she closed her eyes and surrendered to the embrace of the night, she knew that her wings would carry her to new heights, soaring among the stars forevermore.

0