Chapter 4: Peace Is but a Dream
176 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I returned, all the Lestranges were once again greeting me at the gates.

"How did it go, my Lord?" Bella eagerly asked.

I nearly bit the dust. Started a fight on enemy territory with depleted magic. Made mistakes fighting plants. Forgot about the house elves - without them, the Longbottoms would have died from the first killing curses. Threw spells around like I had unlimited energy. Did not expect so much dark magic from Aurors.

"The Longbottoms fell before my might. Our cause is one step closer to victory."

"Wonderful," said Edward, "everything is ready for the lich-raising ritual. Would you like to begin now?"

I reached into my pocket for the wizards' bodies but pulled out the first thing that was on top: a teddy bear. Everyone's eyes widened. I reversed the transfiguration and gave the unconscious boy to Bella.

"This is Neville Longbottom, a pureblood. After his parents deaths and the impending death of his grandmother, he will be the sole Longbottom heir. Take him and raise him into a worthy Death Eater."

"Tilly! Milly!" called the eldest Lestrange. "Help Bella with the baby. Go build a nursery. We can raise liches without her."

Bella with the child and the house elves went inside. We walked down to the basement.

"A smart move, my Lord. But it would be best kept under wraps. Maybe tell Rosier and Nott - they always disapproved of pureblood deaths and will be happy the ancient family yet survives. And Malfoy should prepare his lawyers. At the very least, they will be able to freeze the Longbottoms' accounts once Neville is the only one left."

I nodded. More than anything, I wanted to rest. But Samhain wasn't over yet, and I needed take advantage of enhanced necromantic powers.

After I returned the bodies of James, Frank, Alice and Hagrid to their original form, the Lestranges placed them on top of ritual drawings. The wizards went into separate five-point circles, Hagrid into the three-point one.

"Three large circles for magical corpses and one medium for a white zombie are ready, my Lord." said Edward. "What ritual will we be using?"

Necromancy was akin to golem-building, except with distinct materials. The most primitive material was muggles. Their corpses could be raised and controlled as zombies with a spell or a simple ritual. Zombies were no stronger than live muggles, only much stupider. Too stupid to use guns, unfortunately. The most useful thing they could be ordered was march in a given direction and attack everything in sight. Or controlled individually with mind magic. Basically, zombies were nothing more than animated corpses. Their disregard for pain and exhaustion was handy, but even large numbers of them could be stopped with standard charms against the undead, banishment, patronus, or even a muggle with a rifle.

A magical human's body offered more options. In the hands of a half-wit, it might rise as a regular muggle zombie. A correctly performed ritual could produce inferi - corpses that retained their passive magic. It granted them average magic resistance, regeneration of everything except brain and spine, and most importantly, improved physical abilities (Though still a far cry from a transformed werewolf.) An inferus had no free will or mind of its own, it was completely obedient to the person who raised it. Without self-preservation instinct, they were best used as guards (not around live people!) or kamikaze soldiers.

But a wizard's or witch's body could also be used to create a magic-wielding corpse. Colloquially, a lich. The first option was a ritual performed by several wizards on a freshly dead, preferably freshly killed body. The resulting undead could perform all magic it could use during life with the exception of Light, Life, elemental fire and mind magic. It remained dumb at as a rock but could follow simple orders: search for enemies, attack, stop. It was incapable of learning anything new.

The other option was lich with a consciousness. It required tying a freshly separated soul back to its body. Advantages: the resulting undead could learn new things, make decisions and use mind magic. Disadvantages: its will was completely free unless the raiser actively controlled it, expending magic. It would want to break free and kill its master. Not surprisingly, making intelligent corpses was very unpopular.

There were even more limitations. Unlike live wizards, liches didn't regenerate their magic. They worked with whatever you had poured into them; if they ran out- you recharged them again. Or connected them to a magical source and kept them nearby. Also, the total magical energy of all your undead combined couldn't be greater than your own. And it obviously was illegal dark magic.

Tom regularly made undead for suicide attacks or covering the Death Eaters' retreat. That's why he was so fond of the killing curse- dead enemy and perfect material for necromancy rolled into one.

"We will be raising then with the non-intelligent version. Slowly but properly. Check their blood for potions, especially the Longbottoms. And be careful with Hagrid- he is a half-giant with magic resistance."

My assistants began casting diagnostic charms. Rubbing the bodies with potions. Cutting runes into them. It looked rather disgusting. But I was the Dark Lord, not the Lord of Pretty Butterflies, right?

"Potter is clean and can be raised right away. The Longbottoms have acceleration, magic replenishing and dark magic resistance potions in addition to the standard auror set. Also potions preventing their body parts from being used in polyjuice and targeted curses. Preparation will take a while, and they will be weaker than in life. Hagrid will also take time."

The Lestranges put a muggle in each corner of the four shapes. They always kept a decent supply of muggles for rituals. While they were killing the muggles, I poured the remains of my magic into spells. I wouldn't have been surprised if I didn't have enough to conduct the ritual, but the Lestranges did most of the work, charging the circles. Why was I even here? First of all, I needed to test my necromancy. Second, the undead submitted only to the one who raised them. They would be my liches, despite our team work.

James Potter got up without delay, looking very fresh for a corpse. I haven't decided what to do with him yet, so I handed him his wand and ordered to guard Black's cell.

The Longbottoms… Unmistakably dead bodies covered in runes. In magical vision- dead bodies with strange, continuously shifting energy fields.

"The Longbottoms will be ready in no sooner than a week, my Lord," Edward informed me. "Forgive my asking, but for what exactly do you need Hagrid?"

Hagrid looked almost alive but had no magic or magic resistance. Zero value in battle.

"He must be indistinguishable from the live version. Above all for acromantula senses. Come up with something. Marinate him in a barrel of potions or whatnot."

To be honest, I had no idea how acromantulas saw the world. Could they sense the undead? Let the Lestranges deal with that headache. Once they are done, I'll try to negotiate with the overgrown spiders.

"We will think of something," they promised.

I felt so close to magical exhaustion that anything harder than Expelliarmus would have probably knocked me out. No more battles or rituals, at least for the next day or two.

But my work did not end with magic. Leaving the Lestrange brothers to brainstorm the zombie problem, Edward and I went to the living room.

"So, what about the houses?" I reminded him.

"Our family has dozens. Take whatever you want."

"I only need two. And two house elves. And books on house elves" I wanted to fill the gaps in my knowledge.

"May I assume you will need to tie the house elves to yourself rather than a source?"

House elf. Something like an intelligent chimera that could do magic but not accumulate it. "Smart house" personified: could use magic from either the source of the owner. Once the elves are mine, they will no longer be able to use the Lestranges' source. And spending my own energy on house elves, with my lifestyle… I might die with a clean house.

Each of the major magic sources in Britain (the Ministry, Hogwarts, Stonehenge) replenished the magic of thousands of wizards and house elves who have been connected to them. The sources' power was also used to maintains wards and space expansion charms.

Average sources could support a couple dozen wizards. Most "main" manors of pureblood families, including the Lestranges', sat atop this kind of source. The larger the source, the longer it lasted. Old ones dried up, new ones appeared all around the planet. But even average sources lasted for centuries.

And small ones… They lasted decades and could only support one or two average magicals. This was exactly what I needed. They may be rare, but the Lestranges were happy to share. One for Lily and Harry, one for my house elf.

"I can offer you these two houses. Each has a source for one average wizard. Would that be enough?"

"Yes. Prepare the papers."

"The houses only have basic wards. What defenses do you plan to add?"

"The Fidelius. Bella and Rabastan will be the keepers."

The Fidelius was a very atypical charm with a number of conditions. A person could only be the secret keeper for one Fidelius at a time. The secret keeper could not live under a Fidelius himself, not even another one. As far as I knew, Dumbledore was the keeper for his Order's headquarters. The Potters then had to place their trust in Pettigrew.

I, on the other hand, had no shortage of candidates among the Lestranges, who lived in a manor defended by their source-powered wards.

I called on Bella and Rabastan through their marks. It wasn't a phone, but it did relay the place and urgency.

We conducted the ritual. Or rather, Edward did- I still haven't recovered, but they did not need to know that. I became the owner of two house elves - Tony and Gaby, and connected them to my new houses.

I informed everyone that I will be staying in the house with Bella as the keeper, and they should only enter in case of emergency. The other house, kept by Rabastan, would be my lab for particularly dangerous experiments, where no one may enter under any circumstances. After dismissing everyone but Rabastan, I asked him:

"You are my faithful servant, are you not?"

"Yes, my Lord."

"I need you to do something that will appear pointless but in fact is very important. You will do everything with utmost care and keep it a secret. Even from your family. If you tell anyone, it will tamper with the magic I am using and ruin my plans."

"I am awaiting your orders, my Lord.

"Do you have any experience with scrying for people with given parameters? And how is your legilimency?"

"Yes, my Lord. I am good at both but not a master."

"Wonderful," -I flicked my wand. My magic was still so depleted that I was using a wand and a verbal spell to conjure a simple illusion! Before us appeared a full-scale hologram resembling Lily in height, age and body type but with different hair and face.

The plan was simple: Lily Potter was officially dead. She would live under polyjuice. A similar body will let her move naturally without an adaptation period, lowering the chance of being found out.

"Go wherever you want and find a muggle woman with similar appearance. Caucasian. Make sure she is neither rich nor famous; not an actress, an elected official or any kind of public figure at all. Make sure she is not a witch or a squib, does not know and is not related to any wizards. Aside from legillimency, do not do anything to her or to anyone around her. I will need her hair for polyjuice. Not once, but year after year. Bring me the hair and a batch of polyjuice."

"I understand, my Lord," Rabastan began a spell that analyzed the hologram and must be followed by another that will scan the area looking for matches. "If I may ask, why go through all this trouble? Why not simply stun her and keep her in the dungeons? Or send a house elf?"

Usually he would be right. But keeping a muggle in the basement would be bad for Lily's morale. Keeping the muggle anywhere else invited the risk of someone seeing her and figuring out the farce. And I didn't trust house elves not to babble something incriminating at the worst moment. I could go myself, but after everything that happened I just wanted to finish this business with Lily and rest. The Lestranges were my most faithful. Edward knew Riddle too well and could realize this was very unlike me. Bella would kill her husband if she caught him spying on muggles. If I sent Bella by herself, she might kill the woman. Rabastan was perfect for this- a bachelor pureblood was entitled to his hobbies, however odd. Maybe he was just searching for a highly specific ritual sacrifice?

"I value your input, but in this case everything must be done exactly as I said. Once you are done, call on me and wait at the manor."

Rabastan nodded and disapparated. Who was he to say what might be required for an experimental potion or ritual? After having to gather insect wings under the light of a full moon for a potion, most wizards were hard to surprise.

"Gaby!" I called the elf.

"What does new Master wish from Gaby?"

"Tidy up the house. Find me books on herbology and housekeeping charms. And on house elves. You have an important mission: tell me absolutely everything about house elf magic. And try teaching me. But not right now, I will finish my other work and rest first."

"Will do, Master!"

I apparated to my other house. This is where I will keep Lily.

"Tony!"

"What can Tony do for new Master?"

"A witch with a baby will be living here. Care for them. But keep in mind: they are special, well-guarded guests. They are forbidden to leave the house without my direct order. Obey their orders within reasonable limits. If there are any prisoners or dark books or artifacts here, move them all to my other house."

"Yes, Master."

Why was I going through so much trouble for Lily? The prophecy. I was hesitant to act without knowing its entirety. Staying transfigured for too long was harmful. They must stay alive until I know what it says. And possibly get their money.

I couldn't hide them in any of my followers' dungeons- the last thing I needed was rumors that I spare mudbloods… Also, some moron could find them there and decide to "have fun," with lethal consequences.

Besides, Severus asked me to let her live. I had to find out how much she was worth to him - perhaps I could blackmail him. After all, I didn't promise anything other than spare her. And if I did give her to Severus, he would have nowhere to hide her. I, on the other hand, already had the perfect set up, courtesy of the Lestranges…

The house turned out to be an ordinary two-story cottage. No nursery. I entered one of the rooms and started conjuring furniture, toys, a mirror with communication charms… Verbally and with the wand. As far as I understood, magic could be done with pure will. A wand acted like an amplifier and focus, reducing energy cost. I was barely spending any. Maybe I should have been an interior designer instead of a Dark Lord.

Two minutes later the nursery was complete. I put delayed sleeping spells on still transfigured Harry and Lily - let the baby sleep, and Lily would join him if she decided to be difficult.

Lily frantically scurried to check on Harry the second she regained consciousness.

"He is merely asleep. I wish to speak with you about your service to me," -I said, keeping up the grandiose style. Legillimency showed Lily thought I kept them transfigured to prevent her from figuring out our location. "You are forbidden from leaving this house without my direct order. No one will find you here: the house is under Fidelius. The secret keeper is Rabastan Lestrange, and he thinks you are dead. So does everyone else."

"I am of no use to you… Maybe you could let me go?" she looked up with hope.

"The Death Eaters would not understand."

"Can't you order them?"

"They are not house elves. Some, like the Lestranges, serve me and would obey any orders. Others, like the Malfoys, follow me as long as it benefits them. And some, like Greyback, are with me to kill and plunder without reprise. Besides, did you really expect altruism from a Dark Lord?"

"I don't want to kill anyone… I have nothing to lose and am ready to die," was this her attempt to defy my orders? I already raised my wand for a Crucio but reconsidered.

" I don't give a damn about formalities, but my status requires it. You will call me "my Lord" or get a taste of the Cruciatus. Mine or Bella's. Furthermore, what do you mean, "nothing to lose"? I know you have a muggle sister with a family. And if you listened to my vow, I only promised not to kill Harry. I can torture him as much as I want right now or invite Greyback while you watch under Perfecticus."

Apparently Lily finally understood with whom she was dealing and what kind of vow she gave. A somewhat one-sided one. I supposed she was ready to die fighting. But not eaten alive together with Harry.

"But if you are useful, I will, out of the kindness of my heart, follow the spirit rather than the letter of the vow. Do you understand?"

"Yes, my Lord."

"Wonderful. What can you tell me about the Order?"

"Nothing, my Lord," said Lily anxiously.

Legilimency confirmed it was true: no member names, no meetings, nothing - Dumbledore knew his confidentiality charms. We used similar ones. Otherwise, how can there be secret organizations? Riddle had taken many prisoners with nothing to show for it, so I didn't hope for success.

"How are you in a fight?" I asked, still rummaging through her mind.

"I've been in combat twice. My Lord."

I saw it in her memories. She never used anything better than Protego and Stupefy. Nothing compared to her dead Auror husband.

"Do you have money?"

"No, my Lord."

Again, the truth. A housewife. The Order did not pay. James was wealthy, but the money now belonged to his heir. It would be impossible to reach without revealing that Harry was alive.

Lily's mind filled with terror. She was imagining me realizing her uselessness, killing her and torturing Harry.

"Then I see only one way you can serve me."

She really began to panic. What else could a woman think when she got kidnapped by a maniac who killed her husband and was demanding money? But I had no interest in rape. For many reasons. First of all, I was too busy trying to survive to think of sex. Second, what if it drove her to suicide and "mercy-killing" Harry? Or blowing up the house. Third, I still planned on using her as bait for Snape. Third, sex itself. Riddle had some. A long time ago. But the more horcruxes he made, the less human instincts remained. He had the ability but not desire. A strong argument against horcruxes.

And most importantly, how to have sex with shields? She was unable to come within a yard of me. I could remove everything except the layer covering my skin. But I could not feel anything touching the shield! (Except my wand, it acted as a part of me.) And I was not going to leave myself defenseless while dragging an unwilling witch to bed. She could kill me with accidental magic! So, this was a bad idea any way you looked at it.

"No, I have no interest in what you are thinking about. You will be brewing potions," I said the first thing that came to mind. Was she even good at potions? Searching through memories… School grades…

I conjured a list for her. Nothing difficult: third to fifth year material. Half a day's work.

"I need these in two days. Meanwhile, make yourself at home. I will be checking on you from time to time."

"I don't have any money, ingredients or a cauldron…"

"Tony!" I called. "Obey this witch's orders, within reason. She needs potion supplies. I am going to take care of other business. Both of you, do your jobs."

I pretended to apparate: disillusioned myself with a pop. The woman broke down crying. I briefly thought about casting a sleeping or calming spell on her, but she was a big girl, and I was busy.

Under the silencing charm, I apparated away. Home sweet home. Cast protection spells, carve protection runes into the bed frame. Cut my hand and draw runes on the headboard. Heal the wound. This would work similarly to a pensieve and let me watch any of Riddle's memories in my sleep. Most people would get no rest. But Riddle was a master of the mind arts, so I was sure I would wake up refreshed. I went to bed an started reviewing Riddle's life just as the sun was coming up.

7