Chapter 1: Second Chance
87 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

JON

It had been about a month since he last felt the cold touch of the Wall, yet the icy chill still reminded the young man of its presence. He adjusted his scarf to hide the horrifying scar on his neck and continued his journey south, always heading in that direction. He avoided spending time in villages or on roads, opting instead to hide in the woods like a typical outlaw as he escaped the North in a cowardly manner. He was essentially seen as an oath-breaker by anyone who knew the truth.

"Just," he murmured to his ever-silent, ever-present companion. "If Jon Snow never existed in the first place, how could he break his oath, Ghost?"

The bitter and horrible medicine he had to swallow was much worse than facing the daggers of Marsh and Yarwick. A week after the Red Woman failed to bring her King back to life, Howland Reed arrived at Castle Black and destroyed his life more effectively than any funeral pyre. It was all a lie forced upon him by honorable Ned Stark. In his blind rage, Jon almost killed Howland before receiving a letter from his Uncle. The excuse was weak, the explanation cold, and Jon wished he could have witnessed the events at the Sept of Baelor. Jeyne Poole and Theon Greyjoy's arrival confirmed that his attempt to rescue his sister had failed. After taking Theon's life, Jon left Castle Black despite attempts to stop him. Ghost even attacked a brother who tried to intervene.

Truthfully, he had no clue where he would go. For a long time, he had believed the North was his home, but it wasn't. Valyria was his true home, although it was now in ruins. His family was gone, with Aemon residing in Braavos with Sam, and his Aunt rumored to be in Meereen or elsewhere. He had no knowledge of his cousins' whereabouts, and honestly, he didn't care much about them. Throughout his life, he had yearned to be a Stark, but that choice was taken away from him even before he was born. In fact, it was never an option. Before he could succumb to another fit of anger, Ghost appeared by his side, nudging his shoulder with his snout, grounding him. He believed he would have lost his sanity if he hadn't connected with Ghost's consciousness the moment the daggers pierced him. The Night's Watch had labeled him an abomination for his abilities, but their opinions held little importance to him. He was Ghost, and he was Jon, though technically his true name was Jaehaerys. That name was quite cumbersome, and he could only be grateful to his Uncle for providing him with a simpler name. As for everything else that came from the man, especially his honor, he wanted no association with it.

As the fog and clouds dissipated around him, he finally caught sight of the castle. The ruins of Harrenhal emerged from the fog like fingers stretching towards the sky, yearning to claim the territory once ruled by dragons, but ultimately falling short like many others. Jon had made his way to the Neck and was nearly past Greywater Watch when the crannogmen unexpectedly ambushed him and forcibly brought him to the residence of the Reeds. There, he encountered Galbart Glover and Maege Mormont, who were just as taken aback by his presence as he was. They then presented him with Robb's Will, and he was overcome with emotion upon seeing his brother's, or rather cousin's, handwriting. However, he couldn't bring himself to accept the Will. If he were to accept it, he would have to return to the North and live in the castle, forever in the shadow of his Uncle. Though he desired it, he no longer felt guilty about wanting anything, but he couldn't accept it if it meant perpetuating the lie that he was Ned Stark's son. Unlike others, he would be truthful, and so he revealed the truth to the astonishment of Lord Glover and Lady Mormont. Before they could react, Jon discarded the Will into the fire, and then left the premises, venturing into the marshlands. He continued walking throughout the day and the subsequent days, eventually finding himself in the Riverlands, where Harrenhal seemed like the ideal destination. According to Lord Reed, his parents had met there many years ago. Perhaps the spirits there could provide him with answers. If not, he would journey to the ruins of Summerhall, where his father was born amidst the devastation and flames that brought his family's house to its downfall. And then, he would make his way to the Tower of Joy, as it was the place where his mother died while giving birth to him.

"It seems that all I have inside me are ruins, so it seems fitting that these are the places I want to visit. Would you like to see the Ghost Ruins of Valyria?"

His silent companion appeared to show indifference by shrugging. It didn't matter to him, as he would always follow Jon and Jon would never let him out of his sight. The rest of the day passed silently, as there was no real guard at the castle. A passerby mentioned that Bonnifer Hasty was the castellan, but his forces were not strong enough to hold the ruined castle. Eventually, he reached the shores of the God's Eye and stood in the water, letting the waves crash against his legs. The mist covered the middle of the lake, where the renowned Isle of Faces was said to exist. His parents were married there, and it was where he became a trueborn, no longer a bastard or a source of shame, but a source of pride. He wished he could go back in time and make his Uncle experience the life of a bastard for a year, a week, or even a day, and then confront him and claim that he cared for him.

Suddenly, he felt a nudge at his legs and glanced down to discover a small boat in front of him. There were no docks or other people nearby, but since he had nothing else to do, he decided to get in the boat. As always, his loyal companion Ghost followed him. Without oars or any noticeable currents, the boat smoothly guided him through the God's Eye, passing through the misty wall effortlessly. The island that appeared before him was breathtakingly beautiful and seemed to be in the midst of spring. They strolled through the lush green trees and bushes, listening to the tranquil sounds of wildlife. Jon, for once, felt a sense of peace and relaxation. The renowned Isle of Faces seemed to have a calming effect on his mind and body. After what felt like hours, they eventually reached a spacious clearing and were confronted by an enormous Weirwood Tree, even larger than Winterfell's Godswood. Jon's eyes were heavy, and he felt as if he had no control over his own body as he settled between the roots of the tree and laid down. Ghost curled up beside him, and they both fell into a deep sleep.

When Jon woke up, he noticed a few important things. First, he felt intense pain throughout his body, which seemed unfamiliar, almost like he had shrunk. He then realized it was very cold, and he recognized his old room at Castle Black. Feeling the burden of the Wall, he struggled to stand up and saw six scars on his chest, which he soon realized belonged to someone else. Suddenly, a cloak was draped around him, and a familiar voice spoke kindly.

"Easy, easy."

In shock, he raised his gaze to find the Onion Knight staring down at him with concern, which seemed impossible. According to his knowledge, Davos Seaworth was in White Harbor, or at least his head was. Why on earth was he at Castle Black? Moreover, why had he returned to Castle Black? Despite his hoarse and rough voice, he managed to voice his words and questions.

"Where am I, what happened?"

"Thorne and the others led a mutiny against you, but you were brought back by Lady Melisandre."

Everything was incorrect, but it was somehow also identical. He found himself in Castle Black once again, but inhabiting a different person's body. Even Davos had changed. Jon couldn't comprehend why he had returned to this place and why it seemed so different from what he remembered. Almost as if a faint, familiar voice that had long been silent, slipped into his mind, Jon had a strong feeling that it belonged to Bran.

"Jon, you have been given a second chance to correct the injustices of the world in the proper manner."

4