Chapter 6: Opening Moves
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

January 2nd, 1976

Laughter followed the Marauders and Harry as they left the Gryffindor Table and headed out of the Great Hall with the rest of the students from the other three Houses. Numerous people had introduced themselves already to him, including Neville's father, Frank Longbottom, a seventh-year student, who was currently dating Alice Fawcett, Neville's mother.

Just when Harry and his friends exited the Great Hall and made their way over to the Giant Staircase, a group of upper-year Slytherins, dressed in green and silver, blocked their path. Harry allowed his eyes to roam over the eighth students. He recognized almost all of their faces. Avery, Mulciber, Wilkes, and of course, the one that seems to be leading them. Rabastan Lestrange.

The students all around them watched the encounter in exciting whispers, even the Prefects did not seem to want to interfere. Harry knew that the Slytherins wanted to get a feel for what kind of person he was. He had made an impressive introduction and carried a big name, but how would he handle himself in a confrontation? Out of the corner of his eye, he also noticed a shiver of blonde curls watching the interaction with her friend. She was watching... Good!

"Don't, Harry..." James shook his head, but Harry ignored him. The times when he backed down were long over. He was no longer the scared child that avoided confrontation and bowed to bullies. He had seen and suffered evils that those Snakes could not even begin to imagine.

"He is the best duelist at Hogwarts, mate. It's not worth it. I know a different way up to Gryffindor Tower." Sirius whispered in his ear and tried to tuck on his robes. Harry ignored him, too, and continued approaching the Slytherins who now moved inwards and blocked his path. Harry did his best impression of a Malfoy-like sneer. They might be seventh years, but he made a more opposing figure already since he was taller and carried the stronger build. The only advantage remained in their numbers, but even those odds could be circumvented rather easily.

"Get the fuck out of my way, Lestrange." Harry said coldly: "Or I will remove you myself."

The Marauders stared at him bewildered. Naturally, they had found themselves in the odd confrontation, but usually with Slytherins from their own year, not the more dangerous and skilled upper years. Lestrange pretty much ruled House Slytherin ever since Malfoy graduated two years ago. No one, no matter what House they were from, ever dared to talk to him like that.

Lestrange's face was a mask of anger: "So, you know who I am?"

"Actually, no." Harry smirked: "Based on the stench I have assumed it was a Lestrange. Apparently, I have guessed correctly... Piece of advice for you, just because you learned the cleaning charm does not mean you should skip showers."

People around him started snickering. Lestrange was fuming, with every single giggle that escaped another student's mouth, he was losing the respect he deserved: "Since you are new here, Peverell, you obviously did not have time to get accustomed to the rules yet."

"Oh, I know the rules, Strange Boy: "Harry grinned without a hint of fear in his face: "I just never really cared for rules. And I certainly care not for yours..."

"You have no idea who you are messing with." Lestrange hissed. The vein on his forehead reminded Harry of Uncle Vernon. Harry swore it might pop any moment.

"I think I know exactly who I am messing with," Harry smirked at him: "What are you going to do if I don't play by your rules? Are you going to run to your Daddy? No, wait! That's actually a Malfoy's move, isn't it? What's your move then, Strange Boy, running to mommy?"

"You dare!" Lestrange fumbled for his wand, but Harry's was in his palm within a split second, quicker than anyone had seen. He could almost hear the Elder Wand whispering in his ear. Urging him on to curse the pathetic little Death Eater in front of him into pieces.

"Give me one reason, Lestrange..." Harry implored the other boy: "...do it you coward."

"You could have initiated change here at Hogwarts, Peverell. You could have gained valuable allies and restored honor to your House..." Lestrange spits on the floor: "...But instead you decided to befriend a bunch of blood traitors and half-bloods."

"Someone gave me exactly the same advice a few years ago..." Harry smiled, remembering Draco Malfoy. His grip on the Elder Wand tightened: "Do you want to know where he is right now? His House crumbled while mine flourished like never before."

"What is going on here?" A sharp voice echoed through the absolute silence that followed Harry's statement. The crowd parted to reveal the tall, slender figure and aristocratic face of Narcissa Black with a Head Girl badge pinned above her chest.

"Strange Boy and his buddies just informed me of a small welcome party they wish to throw on my behalf," Harry replied with a shrug and flicked the Elder Wand back into his sleeve. The Marauders roared in laughter, as did many of the bystanders from other houses: "We were just having a little fun."

"You should know that there will be no casting of magic in the corridors, Mr. Peverell." Narcissa walked up to him: "I will let you go without docking points, this once. Next time, I won't be so lenient."

"Your support is as always appreciated, dear cousin," Sirius replied sarcastically. Narcissa ignored him, her eyes still trained on Harry. He noticed that she was quite a looker. Perhaps not as beautiful as his mysterious blonde girl, but certainly a very close second from what he had seen of the female population at Hogwarts so far.

"I would hate to give you any reason to dock points from my House, Ms. Black." Harry shot her a small grin: "I wish you the best of nights." He finished with a wink.

Narcissa fought down the slight blush that was creeping up on her skin and quickly turned around to disperse the crowd.

"I can't believe you just flirted with my cousin, mate." Sirius made a gagging sound.

"Don't blame me…" Harry replied with a shrug, making sure both Narcissa and the mysterious blonde Ravenclaw were in earshot for what he said next: "...It's not my fault she is a good-looking witch."

Ravenclaw Tower

"Mar, could you please just sit down already?" Florence asked with a pleading look.

"No!" The blonde witch hissed and continued walking up and down the small gap from her bed to her friends': "He makes me so furious! Arghhh!"

"Okay... I can sense some pent-up aggression here." Flo chuckled: "No worries, it's nothing that a good snog wouldn't fix!"

"Could you, for once, be serious, Flo!" Marlene groaned: "They are going to kill him! He is going to be dead by tomorrow..."

"I doubt that." Florence snorted and stretched on her bed: "You saw how he looked. He was like a lion waiting to finally attack its prey."

"Prey as in eight, older, seventh-year Slytherins?" Marlene replied sarcastically.

"We have no idea what kind of education he enjoyed so far, Mar." Flo spoke up: "It's not unlikely that he has been privately tutored up until now. All I am saying is that he was the one looking confident down there, whereas your boyfriend and his buddies almost shit their pants."

"He is not my... Arghh!" Marlene stomped her foot: "Why does he frustrate me so much?"

"I think you're just pissed that he complimented Black?" Florence answered with a shrug: "I mean I get it. He looked really sexy down there. Not backing down against the superior numbers, standing his ground defiantly, Morgana, I think I felt something heating up in my lower belly just watching him..." She chuckled.

"You're disgusting, Florence!" Marlene wrinkled her nose.

"No, you're simply a prude!" Florence rolled her eyes: "I bet every single girl who watched that interaction thought it was a turn-on. You just can't admit that for the first time in your life you find a boy attractive!"

"I do not think he is attractive!" Marlene lied through clenched teeth: "And even if I did find him attractive, there is nothing I could do about it. Do you think Lestrange will give me permission to talk to him after what happened tonight?"

"You are a witch, figure something out, Mar." Flo shrugged: "But I'd hurry if I was you. Narcissa Black might be betrothed but I could still imagine her making a move on him."

"I hate you right now." Marlene groaned and finally let herself fall face-first into the pillows of her bed: "I'm just going to go to sleep now. Hopefully, I will share as few classes as possible with him."

"Denial isn't just a river in Egypt Mar…" Florence sing-songed, causing Marlene to pull the curtains of her bed shut.

January 3rd, 1976

"You know mate, just because you are a Dork now, doesn't mean you cannot have at least an ounce of self-preservation." James regarded Harry with a worried look after seeing the murderous glares he received from the Slytherin table the next morning.

"Don't worry about me, Prongs." Harry shrugged: "You should worry about Sirius's hot cousin. I might not be able to restrain myself the next time I see her."

"First of all, you are disgusting mate." Sirius gagged while the other Marauders sniggered: "Second of all she is engaged to marry Lucius Malfoy and the man can make your life hell, trust me."

"I don't really care, Padfoot." Harry shrugged again as he finished his second plate of eggs. His appetite was just enormous: "He is not here, so who is going to stop me from stealing his girl?"

Harry ignored whatever Sirius might have replied because just then, the blonde Ravenclaw girl that had caught his eye walked into the Great Hall with her friend. She looked exceptionally good today. However, Harry's slightly dreamy look quickly changed into a frown when she parted ways from her friend. The frown only deepened when she walked up to the Slytherin table and sat down next to Rabastan fucking Lestrange, and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. Ouch... That hurts...

"Mate, are you okay?" James asked with a worried expression, seeing Harry's knuckles clenching around his spoon.

"Fine..." Harry spat and continued his breakfast.

Sirius looked up to the Slytherin table once more and groaned: "How the hell did he land a shot with Marlene freaking McKinnon?"

"Who?" Harry asked curiously.

James nudged over to the blonde girl next to Lestrange: "Sirius thinks McKinnon is the fittest bird at Hogwarts. I guess their families must have agreed to some courting arrangement. That's a shame... Padfoot never got his chance with her."

"Shut up, Prongs..." Sirius growled like a dog: "She would have said yes eventually."

Their bickering faded away as Harry concentrated and searched for a memory. The name McKinnon rang a bell somewhere...

"Marlene McKinnon, she was killed two weeks after this was taken, they got her whole family." Alastor Moody told him in his fifth year while he had been at Grimmauld Place. Harry had been so disgusted by it that he did not even look at the picture. But there was one more memory...

"No one ever lived after he decided ter kill 'em, an' he'd killed some o' the best witches an' wizards of the age — the McKinnons, the Bones, the Prewetts" Hagrid had shared that with him, right after explaining that Harry was the Boy-Who-lived, the first time he had visited Diagon Alley.

But how did this pureblood queen, who made Daphne Greengrass look like a simple muggle schoolgirl, join the Order of Phoenix when she was betrothed to a Death Eater. Harry did not know; however, he would make sure things never got so far this time around.

"I don't see where the problem is..." Harry shrugged: "...There is no ring on her finger, and she certainly does not seem happy. Perhaps, I'll shoot my shot with her."

"First Narcissa Black, now Marlene McKinnon..." Remus observed: "...I guess someone is into blondes?"

Harry just nodded: "At least you now know that Prongs' girl is safe from me. I know he was already getting worried."

"I was not!" James denied firmly, however his eyes instantly glanced over to Lily Evans, who was sitting with a friend, reading the Daily Prophet.

"And where were you this morning, by the way?" James inquired: "You were not in bed and neither in the common room?"

"I was working out." Harry replied honestly and finished his glass of milk: "I usually get up quite early and work out in the morning."

"Bloody mad, this one," Sirius grumbled.

"You won't say the same after I pull your cousin." Harry laughed.

"What do you do during your workouts?" Peter asked curiously: "And where do you even work out?"

"I found a room this morning." Harry answered with a smirk: "It fit my requirements very well... Who knows, maybe if you let me in on a few of your secrets, I will let you in on mine?"

Before the Marauders could even deny that they had any secrets, McGonagall arrived at their table: "Good morning, Professor, you look lovely today." Harry greeted her with a smile.

Minerva pursed her lips, while the boys snickered: "I see that certain company has rubbed off on you already, Mr. Peverell. And I had such high hopes for you."

"I could still surprise you, Professor."

"Perhaps you will." The Scottish woman snorted: "This is your timetable, Mr. Peverell. As you can see, you have transfigurations with me this morning. Make sure you and this lot..." Her eyes glanced over the Marauders: " ... are on time. Otherwise, you will find that I have no problem taking points from my own house. I wish you a pleasant first day."

"Thank you, ma'am. I am looking forward to your lesson." Harry replied sincerely. The woman shot him a curious glance, flared her nostrils at the other Marauders one more time, and left towards her classroom.

"Being a teacher's pet won't help with her, Harry." James snickered.

"Good thing I don't need to be one then." Harry replied confidently while taking a look at his timetable, skimming for his next lesson with the Ravenclaws. Hah! Charms this afternoon: "I have always been good at transfiguration."

"You said so, but I have never actually seen it." James shrugged: "Let's get going, otherwise Minnie will actually dock points or do worse. It's too early in the term to catch a detection after all."

Lily Evans skimmed over her essay once more while waiting for the lesson to begin. Transfigurations was undoubtedly her most difficult subject, which she spent the most time preparing for. Most of the Puffs were already in the Transfiguration classroom when loud laughter announced the arrivals of the Marauders.

Lily looked over her shoulder to see Peverell join his new friends in the back of the class. The Marauders had already corrupted him, after less than a day. However, she did notice that he at least pulled out his Potter grin and shot her a wink, so she quickly turned back around, not in the mood for any of his jokes. She was still furious with him for some of the pranks they played on her last term.

"Today we will continue where we left off before the Holidays and practice the vanishing charm," McGonagall announced soon after she entered. Her eyes narrowed when she saw a Peverell sitting confidently in the back of the class, a grin on his admittedly handsome face. Lily grimaced. Let's see what he was made of: " Mr. Peverell, allow me to get a feel for how advanced you are. Do you know the Incantation to the vanishing charm?"

"Yes, ma'am." He stood up and replied with a small wink towards James Potter, who coughed loudly to hide his laughter: "The Incantation is 'Evanesco'. The wand movement is a simple flick."

"Very good, Mr. Peverell." McGonagall nodded: "What is the most difficult object you have ever used the charm on?"

Lilly watched him frown. The most difficult item she ever successfully vanished was a small beetle. It would be interesting to see if he was as advanced as Potter: "To be honest, I don't know. You could always give me an object and I'll promise to do my best, Professor."

The Marauders grinned while McGonagall's nostrils flared threateningly. Lily Evans rolled her eyes. He was almost worse than Potter.

McGonagall's wand flicked and a small stone appeared on Peverell's desk. The boy looked at it in amusement as if this class was a joke. He grinned at his friends while a thin pale wand slipped into his palm. Why did a fifteen-year-old need a wand holster?

"Evanesco!" He said lazily and snipped his fingers, not even looking at the item. James Potter's eyebrow almost vanished under his unruly hair. Apparently, the new boy had not told his friends how talented he was.

"Very well, let's see if I can provide you with a challenge." McGonagall wrinkled her nose and flicked her wand once more.

An earthworm appeared on his desk. It was more difficult, since this time he had to vanish something animate. However, Peverell merely raised his eyebrow. A confident grin tucked on the corner of his lips. "Evanesco!"

Impressive! The earthworm did vanish. However, a second later, Sirius Black released a very un-Blackish high-pitched yelp when the earthworm doubled in size and landed on his shoulder long, elegant dark hair. The class broke out in laughter. Even Lily could not hide her amusement at the situation.

"I am terribly sorry, Padfoot." Peverell walked over to him. "Allow me to fix my mistake: Evanesco!"

The earthworm was not the only thing that disappeared. The one feature Sirius Black valued more than anything else on his body, his hair, vanished completely, leaving him entirely bald. James Potter rolled on the floor, laughing. Remus and Peter followed shortly after. Even McGonagall's lips twitched. "Thank you, Mr. Peverell, but perhaps I should intervene."

"Finite Incantatem!"

Black gasped in relief when his finger finally connected with his dark strands once more. For some reason, even though Peverell had failed the transfiguration at first, he looked oddly satisfied with the outcome. McGonagall seemed to notice so, as she shot Peverell a curious look: "You seem to have some experience with the spell, but I suggest you work on your control and intend, Mr. Peverell."

"Naturally, Professor." He inclined his head: "I will make sure to follow your advice."

Somehow, nobody knew whether he was being sarcastic or not. The small grin on his lips seems to just be a permanent feature. The Scottish professor decided to just let it rest and continued the lesson. Lily was deep in thought. She was almost certain that Peverell could have completed the transfiguration easily without the slight slip-up. When you spend enough time on the receiving of the Marauders pranks, you get a feel for what has been done purposefully and what not. But if Peverell was as arrogant and confident as he seemed, why not simply demonstrate it? Why hold back?

After transfiguration and a free period, in which Remus and Peter went to Care of Magical Creatures, Harry finally entered the Charms classroom. He was excited for his first lesson with Flitwick. The first thing that caught his eye was a patch of curly blond hair and piercing blue eyes that momentarily looked up as he entered the classroom. However, whereas her brunette friend continued following Harry with her eyes, Marlene McKinnon quickly turned back to her book and lowered her head.

"Is everyone present?" The voice of Filius Flitwick squeaked through the charms classroom as Harry took a seat in the back: "Ah, Mr. Peverell!" He said as his eyes found Harry in the back with Marauders: "Welcome to Charms class. My name is Filius Flitwick. I am the head of House Ravenclaw."

"Thank you for the warm welcome, Professor." Harry replied sincerely: "I am excited about your class."

"Well, Mr. Peverell." The small half-goblin smiled: "While I am glad you found friends so quickly, I would like to partner you with my best student for the first few lessons, just to make sure we can get you up to speed, shall it be necessary."

In the front of the class, Harry watched as Lily almost banged her head against the table. She did not seem to be a fan of the idea.

"Hide your girl, Prongs." Sirius snickered: "Peverell, is coming for her."

The Marauder chuckled and even James' confident smile faltered. Flitwick gestured for Harry to come: "As you could probably tell by her enthusiastic reaction, your partner will be Ms. Evans, over here."

Lily reluctantly scooped over and allowed Harry to sit down on the bench next to her. Her green eyes were sparkling with annoyance. Harry pulled out his book and some parchment, deciding to give her some time to adjust to him.

"Perfect." Flitwick smiled: "Now who can tell me what charm we worked on before the holidays?"

McKinnon's, her brunette friend's, and Lily's hands all shot up.

"Yes, Ms. McKinnon?"

"The silencing charms, sir." The beautiful blonde girl replied.

"Exactly, very well." Flitwick nodded: "Now, who can tell me what the charm could be used for? Mr. Potter, perhaps?"

Harry looked over his shoulder to see James and Sirius grin at each other after the former must have whispered something: "Uhh..." James began: "I don't know... To silence a baby from crying? I mean, no one wants to hear that, right?"

Next to him, Remus slapped his own forehead while Harry could feel his mother huff next to him. McKinnon did not seem too amused by his answer either. Her arm was still up, so Flitwick picked her: "Ms. McKinnon, perhaps you have a more mature answer?"

"While Potter is theoretically correct, the charm can be used to silence pretty much any inanimate or animate object. Even a person."

"Very good, Ms. McKinnon." Flitwick nodded happily: "Does anyone have an idea for a practical application? Yes, Mr. Peverell?" Flitwick squeaked at seeing his hand.

"Perhaps McKinnon already hinted at it, but the charm can be used to silence an opponent during a duel. Let's assume said opponent has not learned nonverbal casting yet. Therefore, he will be unable to return fire or defend himself from incoming curses since he can't speak out the incantations or even cancel the charm on himself."

The rest of the class and even Flitwick seemed very impressed at that: "You seem to have an in-depth understanding of the charm already, Mr. Peverell. Any other areas where it could be used?"

Harry grinned: "You could silence yourself, including your own footsteps, but your intent needs to be strong enough for that. Coupled with a scent masking charm and a disillusionment charm, one becomes almost untraceable. Only an invisibility cloak could possibly compete with such a combination."

"Five Points to Gryffindor for a brilliant example of an application!" Flitwick beamed: "Of course, the disillusionment charm is very advanced. Even NEWT students struggle with it. We will stick to the silencing charm, therefore, Mr. Peverell."

"Of course, Professor." Harry nodded: "I was just exploring the potential."

No one, besides Lily next to him, saw the small smile that tugged on his lips. Flitwick handed out a frog to each table with the direction to partner up and silence it.

"I don't think we have been properly introduced yet," Harry spoke up after clearly saying the incantation and silencing the frog with a flick of his wand.

"I am Harry Peverell." He held out his hand: "At your service, my Lady."

Lily shot him a stern look, the one Remus mentioned had James crumbling before her: "Lily Evans," She shook his hand.

"Well, tell me a bit about yourself, Ms. Evans..." Harry said while Lily bit her lip in concentration and flicked her wand at the frog: " Silencio!"

Her eyes sparkled in triumph at having achieved the desired outcome: "Why the interest in me, Peverell?"

Harry smirked, canceled her charm, and performed it himself once more: "I just want to get to know the people I will be spending the next few years with better. And I must insist you call me, Harry."

"Well, Harry." Lily's green eyes met him: "Why don't you tell me a bit about yourself first? You seem like a little troublemaker. And after that confrontation with the Slytherins yesterday you are either extremely brave and dumb, with no sense of self-preservation, or overly confident in your own skills."

Harry chuckled: "What can you tell me about the Slytherins?"

Lily frowned: "They are not all bad..." Harry knew she was thinking about Snape: "But those seventh years are pigs. There were some nasty incidents last term..."

"Like what?"

"A friend of mine, her name is Mary McDonald, had to remain in the hospital wing for almost two weeks after whatever curse Mulciber hit her with. You should be careful." Harry caught a hint of worry in her eyes: "What you did yesterday was pretty much a declaration of war."

"They will try again and I will put them in their place." His eyes flashed: "But enough on the slimy snakes. You wanted to get to know me, so ask away."

"Where did you come from?" Lily asked promptly and regarded him with a look that rivalled McGonagall's: "Did you move to Britain by yourself? Where are your parents?"

"I moved from Switzerland by myself a few days ago and my parents have been murdered when I was one year old," Harry replied truthfully.

"Oh..." Lily cringed: "I am really sorry. Who has been taking care of you then?"

"Muggles." Harry answered: "I did not know I was a wizard until I was 11 years old."

"How can you be so good at magic then?" Lily asked him with suspicion.

"Whatever do you mean with that, Ms. Evans?" Harry grinned at her.

The redhead's eyes sparkled and she huffed: "You know exactly what I mean. You are clearly holding back! You hit that earthworm with an Engorgio before vanishing it together with Black's hair. Those were highly advanced transfigurations."

"You must be mistaken." Harry shook his head, but his lips twitched: "Did you not hear McGonagall say I should work on my concentration and intent?"

"I know what I heard, but I also know what I saw." Her eyes narrowed dangerously: "You did that deliberately! And I also bet you could have performed the disillusionment charm if Flitwick actually asked you."

"That is highly advanced magic, Ms. Evans." Harry countered, still with a smile: "I am just a fifth year after all..."

"Who probably grew up so rich that he enjoyed the best tutoring, gold could buy. I researched your name. It's even older than the Potter's or the Blacks." Lily hissed.

"I would trade all the Galleons in the world for a chance to grow up with my parents instead of my private tutors. There are more important things than gold in this world, Ms. Evans..." Harry shrugged.

"I am sorry, Harry" Lily instantly apologized and her eyes softened: "That was very insensitive on my part."

"It's fine..." Harry dismissed her: "I am here now, and I finally found the closest thing to a family I ever had." He looked over his shoulder to where Sirius and James tried to teach their frog how to sing the school anthem. A smile crept up his face: "Besides, I told you to call me Harry."

"Then you should call me Lily." The redhead replied after following his gaze to the Marauders and shooting him a sincere smile.

At The Other Side Of The Classroom

"What do you think they are talking about?"

"I don't care, Flo, and I don't want to know!" Marlene replied and almost poked her frog's eye out with how sharp and sudden her wand movement had been. She did not know what it was, but something irritated her greatly about Harry Peverell. His entire demeanor was so calm, yet the way he had opposed the Slytherins yesterday had been altogether different. He was an unknown entity and Marlene McKinnon did not like unknown entities.

"They would fit pretty well together, don't you think?" Flo mused, after silencing the frog when it was her turn.

Marlene allowed herself a small glance towards the front of the classroom. Peverell and Evans were sitting next to each other, talking while they switched performing their task. She noticed how both of them performed the charm effortlessly. The poor frog barely got a break.

"I don't think they fit well together at all, actually." She huffed and returned to the task at hand.

"Come one, Mar..." Florence rolled her eyes: "They even have almost the exact same eye color!"

"So? How is that of any relevance?" Marlene huffed, pushing her long blonde curls over her shoulder.

"I heard from Paul Abbot that Peverell put on a show in transfiguration this morning," Flo whispered.

"Of course, he did." Marlene scowled dismissively: "He needs attention almost as badly as Black and Potter!"

"I don't think so, actually." The brunette shook her head: "According to Abbot, he managed to prank Sirius Black right in front of McGonagall and vanished all ofn his hair when they were practicing the Vanishing Charm. He said Peverell managed to set the entire thing up beautifully and just shrugged when McGonagall said he should work on his concentration."

"You think he is holding back?" Marlene's blue eyes narrowed suspiciously, and she glanced up to the broad-shouldered, raven-haired boy once more.

"Just think about what he stated earlier in the lesson... "Flo bobbed her head: "He spoke so confidently about the disillusionment charm that it seemed like he had cast it dozens of times before. His suggestion was pretty brilliant, was it not?"

Marlene had to reluctantly admit that it was.: "Perhaps... But why would he be holding back? Should it not be in his interest to actually learn something new? Do you think he is holding back to remain with them?" She gestured towards the Marauders.

"It would be the most obvious reason." Flo replied: "I have heard a rumor that he has already gotten to know the Potters. That would explain why he and James Potter get along so well. Perhaps he just wants to stay with his friends."

"We have DADA tomorrow, and we will be practicing the shield charm." Marlene's ice-blue eyes concentrated on her frog once more. Defense was her best subject. She usually did not boast, but she was possibly even the best in their year: "It will be easier to see if he is actually holding back there."

"Wouldn't it be cute if you guys were paired together..." Her best friend sighed dramatically and put her hand over her chest: "You better snog him soon or I will do it, Mar. My poor heart can only take so much drama after all."

3