Chapter 4: A Language Only I Understand
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Irene took a moment to gather her thoughts, her gaze drifting off into the distance as she recalled the sensation. "It's like... hearing the leaves grow," she began, her voice soft with introspection. "They whisper to me, as if they're speaking a language only, I can understand."

Ela listened intently; her eyes wide with fascination as Irene continued to explain. "At first, it's strangely comforting, but then it becomes suffocating, almost like being trapped in a thorny embrace.," Irene added , her demeanor reflecting slight unease.

Ela's brow furrowed in thought as she processed Irene's words. "So, your Sigil is connected to plants somehow?" she ventured, her expression filled with curiosity.

Irene nodded, a thoughtful expression crossing her features. "Seems like it," she replied, her tone contemplative. "But why plants? That's what I can't figure out."

Ela leaned in closer, her curiosity piqued. "And how did you manage to unseal your Sigil?" she asked, eager to learn from her friend's experience.

Irene shifted uncomfortably, her gaze momentarily avoiding Ela's. "Oh, you know, just some magical mumbo-jumbo," she replied, feigning nonchalance. "I basically thought about it really hard, and poof, it happened."

Ela arched an eyebrow, a smirk playing on her lips. "Magical mumbo-jumbo, huh? Quite the scientific approach," she teased, her tone light.

A laugh escaped Irene, but it lacked its usual spark, tinged with a self-doubt she couldn't quite mask. "Magical prodigy? Me? More like the walking embodiment of fumbled spells and fizzled potions," she muttered, her eyes darting away as if expecting the floor to swallow her whole.

Ela chuckled, genuinely amused by Irene's attempt to downplay her achievement. "Honestly, Irene, that's incredible. You should be proud," she remarked, her voice sincere.

Irene's cheeks flushed a light pink, her feigned nonchalance fading. "Okay, maybe I wanted to shut you up about my 'lack of intellectual prowess,'" she admitted with a playful roll of her eyes. Ela chuckled, the warmth reaching her eyes as they crinkled at the corners. "Seeing you crack the Sigil like that...well, let's just say it changes my perspective on you, Irene. Not that I ever thought you were lacking, but wow, you surprised me. "

Irene shifted uncomfortably, a mix of emotions playing on her features. "Yeah, well, proving oneself is a two-way street," she mumbled, not meeting Ela's gaze.

Ela nudged her, a playful smirk on her lips. "Challenge accepted, my dear sorcerer. But don't expect me to go easy on you just because you got the jumpstart. "

As Irene and Ela strolled back to the palace, the afternoon sun casting a golden glow over the gardens, their conversation turned back to the topic of Sigils.

"if sigils are related to our personalities, Why plants, of all things?" Irene asked with a mixture of confusion and curiosity in her tone.
"Maybe it's because you've always been a wild, untamed spirit," she replied casually, though her words held a subtle edge. "You've had a knack for wandering into forests and losing yourself in them since you were young."

As they reached the grand entrance of the palace, Lady Adelia intercepted them, her expression a mask of false warmth. "Irene, dear, congratulations on unlocking your Sigil. I heard the news from your parents," she said, her tone dripping with insincerity.

Irene forced a polite smile, her discomfort evident. "Thank you, Lady Adelia," she replied through gritted teeth, eager to escape the suffocating presence of Ela's mother.

As Irene bid her farewell and departed, Lady Adelia turned her attention to Ela, her gaze piercing. "And how do you feel about Irene's achievement, Eleanore?" she inquired, she remarked, her words dripping with scorn.

Ela's stomach churned with unease, sensing the impending confrontation. "I'm happy and proud of her, of course," she replied cautiously, choosing her words carefully.

Lady Adelia's lips curled into a mocking smile. "Oh, I'm sure," she replied, her tone dripping with sarcasm. "But it must sting a little, doesn't it? Seeing someone like Irene surpass you so effortlessly."
Ela's jaw clenched, a surge of frustration rising within her. "I'm making progress too, Mother," she retorted, her voice tinged with defiance. "It's just taking me a bit longer."

Lady Adelia's expression hardened, her eyes narrowing with disdain. "I'm afraid I don't see any progress, Eleanore," she replied icily, her words cutting like shards of ice.

Lady Adelia's facade of warmth slipped, replaced by a cold, calculating gaze. "I find it rather surprising that Irene managed to unseal her Sigil before you," she remarked, her tone dripping with condescension. "Perhaps I was wrong in thinking it was you holding her back. It seems my daughter is just a failure after all."

Ela's eyes blazed with defiance as she stood her ground. "I am not a failure, Mother," she declared, her voice steady despite the turmoil within. "And I won't let you belittle me any longer."

Lady Adelia's expression darkened with fury at Ela's defiance. "You dare to speak to me like this?" she hissed; her utterance laced with poison. "You are nothing without my guidance, Eleanore. Remember your place."

reaching her breaking point, her frustration boiling over into a torrent of pent-up emotions. "You're just an arrogant, controlling hypocrite!" she lashed out, shouting her words echoing through the open air.

As Lady Adelia's fury reached its peak, she unleashed her Sigil with a piercing glare, silencing Ela in an instant. Panic surged through Ela as her throat tightened, feeling as if the air had been sucked out of her lungs. She struggled to speak, her voice trapped within her constricted throat, her breaths shallow and strained.

Ela stood rooted to the spot, heartbeat drumming a frantic rhythm against her ribs. The air grew thick and heavy, Panic claws at her chest, mirroring the frantic scratch of her nails against the tightening collar of her dress. Her gasp became a choked wheeze.

"A reminder, child," Adelia's manner, as smooth as silk yet edged with venom, echoed in the silent corridor. "Whose will prevails in this palace."
Ela met her mother's gaze, defiance flickering in her narrowed eyes. Though silenced, her message was clear: she wouldn't bend. A momentary flicker of surprise crossed Adelia's face, quickly masked by icy composure.

"That wretched girl's influence taints you, Eleanore," Adelia hissed, her words like acid dripping from her lips. "you'll learn your place, and stop this irrational behavior or this will get worse."

The weight of her mother's threat settled on Ela's chest, heavy and suffocating. Yet, even without a voice, the spirit in her eyes shone defiant. As Adelia swept past, the pressure lifted, leaving Ela gasping for air like a fish pulled from the depths.

"Consider this a taste," Adelia's parting shot resonated in the air, her words dripping with condescension. and I won't be so merciful next time."

As the sun dipped low on the horizon, Irene's excitement bubbled over as she bid farewell to her father at the grand gates of their estate.

"See you later, Dad!" she called out, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Don't wait up for me!"

A warm chuckle escaped from her father, carried aloft by the gentle breeze. "Remember to be back before sunset, Irene. You know how your mother worries."

Irene waved off his concern with a dismissive flick of her hand. "Don't worry, Dad. I'll be fine!" With a grin, she bounded into the awaiting carriage, eager to begin her weekly adventure with Ela.

As the carriage rolled along the forest-lined road towards the Grace Palace, Irene's anticipation grew with each passing moment. The lush greenery of the trees whizzed by in a blur, the rhythmic clatter of the carriage wheels providing a soothing backdrop to her thoughts.

Finally, the imposing silhouette of the Grace Palace loomed into view, its grandeur a stark contrast to the wild beauty of the surrounding forest. With a quick glance out the window, Irene could see Ela waiting for her, a bright smile lighting up her face.

Stepping out of the carriage, Irene felt a surge of warmth as she embraced her friend. "Ela! It's so good to see you," She exclaimed, genuine affection radiating from her.

Ela returned the hug eagerly, her eyes shining with happiness. "Irene, I've missed you, this week has been so tedious"

But as they lingered in each other's embrace, Irene couldn't shake the feeling of unease that prickled at the back of her mind. Glancing up, she caught sight of Lady Grace watching them from the window, her expression twisted with disdain.

Irene's jaw clenched with anger as she returned the woman's gaze, her rebellious spirit refusing to bow to her mother's disapproval. "I hate her," she muttered under her breath, She spoke, bitterness lacing her tone.

Ela's brow furrowed with concern as she caught Irene's words. "Irene, what's wrong?" she asked, her voice soft with sympathy.

Irene shook her head, forcing a smile to her lips. "Nothing, Ela. Let's just go to your room," she replied, her tone determined.

0