Chapter 7: A Father’s Dilemma
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Adelia watched Harrison's retreating figure with a mixture of defiance and determination in her eyes. She knew he disagreed with her methods, but in her heart, she believed she was acting in Ela's best interest. The garden, usually a place of solace, now echoed with the remnants of their tense conversation. As she replayed their words in her mind, a seed of doubt began to sprout. The idea of Ela running away, something she had brushed off in the heat of the argument, now gnawed at her with an unsettling persistence.

With a heavy sigh, she set her tea cup down, the fine china clinking softly against the saucer. Rising from her seat, she summoned the guard who had earlier escorted Ela back from the forest. "I have another mission for you," With a quiet composure, she started speaking. "I want you to watch Eleanore's every move. Consider this a secret mission, and remember, if you breathe a word of this to anyone..."

The guard, a young man with a stern face that softened under Adelia's intense gaze, nodded, understanding the gravity of his new orders. "Yes, my lady," Though his words formed a reply, his body language spoke volumes of his reluctance. He turned on his heel, making his way towards Ela's room with a heaviness in his step.

As he approached, he nearly collided with Harrison, who was also on his way to see Ela. "My lord," the guard greeted him, a hint of stress betraying his composed exterior.

Harrison raised an eyebrow, noting the guard's tension. "And what brings you here at this hour?" he inquired, his tone casual yet probing.

"Just... patrolling the area, my lord," the guard stammered, the lie tasting bitter on his tongue.

Harrison chuckled softly, a warm sound in the cool, silent corridor. "Relax, man. I'm not going to eat you," he joked, clapping the guard lightly on the shoulder before continuing past him into Ela's room.

Inside, he found Ela lying on her bed, seemingly asleep in the dim light. "Ela, are you awake?" Harrison asked gently, his voice filled with concern.

Ela stirred, her eyes fluttering open to meet her father's gaze. "What do you want?" she asked, She spoke wearily

"I just came to check on you," Harrison said, pulling up a chair beside her bed.

"I'm fine," she replied curtly, turning away slightly. "I just need some peace and quiet to sleep."

Harrison nodded, his heart aching at the distance between them. "If you need anything, anything at all, just talk to me. I'm here for you."

Ela's response was soft, yet it carried the weight of her pain. "I just wish... you'd stand up for me, someday."

Those words struck Harrison like a physical blow. He had always tried to shield her from Adelia's harsher decrees, to be her advocate within the confines of their home. Yet, he felt powerless to change the course they were on. "I'm sorry, Ela. I truly am," he whispered, standing to leave. "I love you," he added, the words hanging in the air as he exited her room.

The corridor outside seemed colder now, the weight of his daughter's wish heavy on his shoulders. As he walked away, the guard watched him go

Bram lingered by Ela's door, his posture rigid yet alert. As the door creaked open, he straightened, preparing to fulfill his duties. Ela emerged, her presence momentarily catching him off guard.

"Good evening, Ela," Bram greeted, attempting to sound casual despite the formality of his role.

Ela paused, eyeing him curiously. "Hi, Bram. Off somewhere?" she replied, her tone laced with a mix of surprise and resignation.

"I was just about to head to dinner. Why do you ask?" she continued, her gaze narrowing slightly.

Bram cleared his throat, feeling the weight of his assignment pressing down. "So, uh, I've been told to stick with you for a while. For your safety. I'll be accompanying you, if that's alright."

Ela's eyebrows rose in surprise. "Everywhere I go?" She asked, disbelief lacing her question.

"Unfortunately, yes. But I'll try to be as unobtrusive as possible," Bram assured her, the awkwardness of the situation not lost on him.

Ela sighed, a soft chuckle escaping her lips. "Well, I guess there's no pretending you're not here, then. Shall we?" she gestured towards the dining hall, her demeanor shifting to one of reluctant acceptance.

As they walked, Bram remained a silent shadow, his presence a constant reminder of the constraints around Ela's freedom. Upon reaching the dining hall, Ela took her usual seat, her movements automatic. Bram stood back, assuming his position.

Ela glanced up at him, a thoughtful look crossing her face. "Have you eaten yet, Bram?"

"No, not yet," he admitted, his stomach choosing that moment to grumble audibly.

"And when do you plan to?" Ela inquired, her tone softening.

Bram shifted uncomfortably. "I'm not sure. Duties first," he replied, his dedication evident.

Ela's expression softened. "Why don't you join me? It's not like I enjoy eating alone," she offered, gesturing to the seat opposite her.

Bram hesitated, torn between protocol and the genuine kindness in Ela's eyes. "I... I shouldn't. But thank you," he stammered.

Ela smiled gently. "Nonsense. Sit. I won't tell if you won't," she teased, breaking through his resolve.

With a reluctant nod, Bram took the seat, a silent agreement forming between them. "So, Bram, tell me about yourself," Ela prompted, her curiosity piqued.

As Bram shared snippets of his life, Ela listened intently, their conversation meandering through various topics. A bond, tentative yet genuine, began to form, bridged by shared laughter and moments of understanding.

After dinner, they parted ways at the entrance to the study hall, where Ela's mentor awaited. Bram's gaze lingered on Ela a moment longer than necessary, a sense of camaraderie blooming in his chest.

Ela's mentor, a stern figure leaning on a cane, eyed her critically. "Have you prepared yourself, Eleanore? Your mother insists we proceed with the ritual to unseal your sigil," she announced, A sternness laced her every utterance.

Ela's heart sank. "I... Yes, I've read everything. But are we sure this is necessary?" A faint murmur escaped her lips when she asked, dread pooling in her stomach.

The mentor's smile was thin, lacking warmth. "Necessity is a luxury we can't afford. This is beyond us, Eleanore. It's your destiny – one dictated by your lineage, not choice.she replied, her gaze shifting to Lady Adelia, who watched with an expectant air.

Ela looked from her mentor to her mother, the weight of her situation settling heavily on her shoulders. With a resigned nod, she agreed, the fight draining from her.

The mentor's hand was gentle yet firm on Ela's shoulder as she guided her to the center of the room. "The process is... intense. You must be prepared to face your deepest fears, to confront the very essence of your being," she explained, her voice a blend of caution and excitement.

Ela, standing in the dim light, felt a chill run down her spine. "And if I find I can't...?"

"There's no turning back, Eleanore. Once we begin, we must see it through to the end," the mentor interrupted, her tone final.

As the lights dimmed further, the mentor began chanting in a language Ela couldn't understand. The air grew thick, charged with anticipation and something darker, more primal.

Ela's last thought before the world went black was a silent prayer for strength. Lady Adelia's smile, twisted with satisfaction, was the last thing she saw, a silent observer to her daughter's trial by fire.

0