Chapter 5: Sila
76 2 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Junil vomited yet again, dry-heaving her stomach’s lack of contents over the side of the boat.

“I... how long do we...”

Sweat dripped from her forehead as the Healer steadied herself on the guard rail. She was heaving with exhaustion.

Throwing up a few times would do that to anyone.

“I’m... seasick easily...”

Ronn sighed. He pat the Healer on the back, as she hacked up the last bit of phlegm from her throat.

“Why did you not purchase any seasickness medicine?” the Hero asked.

“It was on short notice, and that stuff takes... urgh...”

Junil gagged again.

“...Takes time to work.”

“We are almost there. No worries.”

The two had taken a fast ship from the Capital to New Frontierland. Fast ship trips came at a premium compared to regular ones, as they used wind magic to push the ship’s sails. A several-day trip could be shortened into a single day. Neither of them could afford to waste any time, so Ronn was very much willing to dig into his own deep wallet for the trip.

Unfortunately, it also meant the ride was far more turbulent.

Ronn didn’t get seasick all that easily; he was rather used to the waves. Junil, on the other hand, wasn’t.

“There’s... nothing left in my stom... ghh...”

Junil gave another groan, and rested her head on the guardrail of the vessel.

Ronn attempted to get another line of conversation started up again, partially in an attempt to distract the Healer from her miserable predicament.

“Junil. I remember, some time ago, you mentioned that you had an anti-seasickness spell in the works? 

“Don’t ask me any of your questions when... I’m in this state,” she muttered. “I remember that project. It’s developed as far as I could, but...”

Junil gagged. Ronn waited for her to either vomit again or hold it back; she managed to not retch over the side again.

“Is there a problem relating to the spell?”

Junil responded by hurling another mouthful of clear fluid over the side. Seems her attempt at not vomiting had failed.

“I can’t handle this anymore, I’m casting the... the spell. Side effects be damned.”

Junil grabbed from a pocket her forearm-length wand. Ensuring that it was pointed between her eyes, the Healer mumbled a few words as a light-green flash came from the end of the wand. The glowing aura gradually dissipated into her head.

She recoiled slightly, feeling woozy for just a moment before she shook off the feeling of discomfort.

“I should have asked before you cast it,” Ronn began. “How effective is the spell? And what side effects may there be?”

In response, Junil clung onto Ronn’s arm.

“It’s rather effective. My nausea went away immediately.”

“As for the side effects?”

“It ruins your sense of balance.”

Ronn’s helmeted head turned to look at Junil, who was now leaning on the armored Hero. He was particularly strong, so the extra weight wasn’t a hindrance to him. Despite that, he still had his concerns.

“Do I need to carry you?” the Hero asked.

“What?” Junil asked. “No. Don’t. Just let me lean on you. I can still walk. Just not on my own.”

The fast ship slowed as it entered the port of New Frontierland. The two steadied themselves as the ship anchored itself against the dock to moor. Junil almost fell over, but Ronn used a hand to hold her up. Deciding that it was probably best for her to keep hold of his arm while walking, the Hero steadily stepped off the gangway of the ship with Junil in tow.

“We should stop off at a booth to grab an extra magical regeneration potion or two,” Junil said. “I’m feeling a bit fatigued.”

“Has that spell taken so much from your magical reserves?” Ronn asked.

“It’s a rather advanced spell,” Junil replied. “I haven’t had time to optimize it to use less magic. In part because the spell is far from complete.”

Stepping through the dock and onto the main road, Ronn pointed to one of many stalls.

“It seems they may sell magical potions.”

Both of them walked up. Immediately, Junil piped up and asked the merchant for a potion.

“A medium-grade magical regeneration potion. Do you have any?” she asked.

She caught the merchant’s attention for a moment, but his reply was quick.

“Nope.”

Junil furrowed her eyebrows.

“Low-grade?”

“None at all.”

She then gave a concerned look.

“I suppose I’ll go somewhere else, then...”

“Don’t bother,” the merchant replied. “They’re all sold out across every stall. The entire town’s in a potion deficit.”

“What? How long until you get more?”

“No clue, lass. We get new inventory twice a week, but it’s all new bought up that same morning. Even the raw potions.”

Junil shook her head. “Even the raw... are they insane? Who’s buying it all up?”

“No clue,” the merchant replied. “But they buy my product, so I have no reason to complain.”

Junil was about to say something else, but Ronn held a hand up to stop her.

“Perhaps I can persuade you to give some information about your customers?” the Hero asked. He slid over a single small steel coin while saying so.

The merchant caved immediately, snatching the coin.

“Well... It’s a group of fellas, but I think they’re all affiliated,” he said, examining the coin.

“Do you know their affiliations?”

“They’re working with Madame Fraul,” the merchant continued. “She’s running some sorta potion business... alongside her aluminum.”

“Her what?” Junil asked.

“You don’t know? Thought she was part of your Hero Party.”

“I have not been keeping track of what my party members have been doing after the War has ended,” Ronn replied. “Some, like Madame Fraul, had gone off to endeavor in other projects. So do enlighten me.”

The merchant slipped the steel coin into his pocket. “Well, my Sire. She’s currently running an aluminum investing business. Supposedly it’s a new metal that’s lighter than steel, and valuable too. I’m no blacksmith, though, so don’t ask me more about that.”

Ronn stood there, as if contemplating for a moment.

“Thank you for the information,” he said. “Miss Junil, let us go.”

Junil looked up at Ronn, still having to lean on him as he stepped away from the stall. “Huh? Wait, I still want to ask some questions!”

“We have the information we need. I believe I know where to find Madame Fraul.”

Ronn was almost dragging Junil the entire way there. The rather unfortunate Healer tripped over rocks and skidded her shoes on the path.

“Ronn, wait! There’s— slow down! I’m gonna fall!”

Junil had to both balance herself against the Hero while walking at a brisk pace to keep up with the Hero.

“Where are you even going?” Junil asked.

Ronn continued walking. “I know where Fraul likely is.”

“That doesn’t explain much!”

Junil almost tripped on another rock, stumbling before running right into Ronn. He had stopped in front of a particular building.

Looking up, Junil recognized it immediately.

“Oh. Doesn’t she own this building? We stayed at it for a bit during the War. Looks pretty renovated.”

It was a street-side residential home. The windows were all shuttered and the door appeared to be a durable metal one, with a rectangular peephole on it.

Ronn knocked once. The rectangular peephole slid open, to reveal a pair of eyes looking out.

“Who is... Oh, the Hero! What are you doing here?”

A girl had responded to the knocking.

“Is Madame Fraul present?” Ronn inquired.

The girl on the other side stood still for just a moment, before replying.

“Oh, yes! She is! I’ll go ask if she’s available, if... that’s what you’re asking for?”

“Certainly,” Ronn replied.

The peephole slid closed. Ronn and Junil could hear the shuffling of footsteps slowly fade out on the other end. A few moments passed before the footsteps returned and the door opened up to reveal a short girl on the other end.

“She wasn’t expecting visitors today, so you took her by surprise,” she said. “Give her a second to get ready, but for now you can wait inside.”

The doorkeeper girl guided both Hero and Healer into the room, shutting the door behind the two.

“I’m guessing Fraul hired you?” Junil asked.

“Yep! She hired me as a personal assistant,” the doorkeeper girl replied. “Name is Sila, nice to meet you.”

“Nice to meet you, too,” Junil replied. “Uh, is there anywhere I can sit?”

“The lounge here can do, I hope?”

Junil was still leaning on Ronn when she finally pushed herself off of the armored Hero and onto one of the lounge chairs in question. The Healer gave a relieved sigh as she sank into the soft cushions.

“How long will it take for Fraul to prepare?” Ronn asked Sila.

Sila looked thoughtful for just a second.

“She should be here around...”

Then, a loud voice reverberated from a hallway connecting to the lounge.

“Ronn, Junil! How nice it is to see the two of you!”

A tall Mage woman stepped in, as evident by her particularly and ornate large hat, accompanied by her dress and cloak. She had striking blue hair that was done in a braid, and equally bright-blue eyes that flickered over to Sila for just a moment.

“Assistant, you may step away for now,” Fraul said. “Important discussions we’re having, you see?”

“Yes, Madame!”

Sila scurried away into another room, leaving the three alone to their devices.

It was only then when Junil and Ronn noticed that Fraul was carrying a box in her arms, full of various scrolls and assorted items. She dropped the box on the table in the middle of the room and sat down.

“Oh, how nice it is to see you two!” the Mage exclaimed. “It’s been a fair amount of time! How have you been doing? Hope the bureaucracy with the Demon Lord hasn’t been too much trouble? Anyway, I’ve got this great idea here and—”

“Fraul, stop beating around the bush,” Junil said. “What are you doing, exactly?”

The Mage gave an innocent look at the Healer. “What do you mean?”

Junil pointed down at the table. “Whenever you talk to us about some great idea, it’s typically a terrible one. I saw what you’ve done to the potions market down at the docks.”

“Ah!” Fraul exclaimed. “That!”

She ruffled in the box in front of her to grab at something. Junil and Ronn watched expectedly, until the Mage pulled out two bars of metal to hand to the two.

“It’s... just metal?” Junil asked, taking hold of it and looking at it.

“Not just metal,” Ronn corrected.

Fraul, in the meanwhile, was grinning. “I’m making this new metal called aluminum! You’ve probably heard talk about it, but I’ve got this foolproof business plan that’ll make me tons of money!”

Junil rolled her eyes. “Right. It’s just a moneymaking scheme. As if you don’t have enough money already.”

“What is the business plan you have in mind, may I ask?” Ronn asked.

Fraul laughed. “Oh, I usually wouldn’t disclose it to just anyone. But I’m willing to make an exception for you two. Come here and let me whisper it to you; not like anyone else could replicate it, but it would be a bit troublesome if someone were to overhear.”

Ronn leaned in and, after some hesitation, so did Junil.

“Have you ever heard of this new metal called ‘aluminum’ before?” Fraul asked.

“I’m in medical, so no. I’ve never heard of it before today.”

“Mentions of it on the economic field. I’ve also questioned merchants at the docks. But I am not particularly up-to-date on the market,” Ronn said.

The Mage then pointed at the bars of aluminum the two were holding.

“What you’re holding right now is called ‘silver from clay’. Do you want to know how expensive it is?”

Junil weighed the bar in her hand. “Maybe a small electrum coin? I’m not too sure.”

“I have heard aluminum is expensive to manufacture, is it not?” Ronn asked.

“Precisely!” Fraul said. “Aluminum is worth two times its weight in gold! Then again, it’s not nearly as dense compared to gold, so it still is a good-sized bar. What you’re holding in your hands right now is worth three large electrum coins!”

Junil’s eyes widened as she examined the small bar of aluminum. “Really? But what’s so good about aluminum? Seems like any other metal. Like iron.”

“It’s not ‘like any other metal’. It’s a third of the weight of iron and steel, and it might even be stronger as well. But so far, it’s hard to make.”

“Then how do you plan on turning it into a business venture, with its difficulty of manufacture?” Ronn asked.

“That’s the good part! Using magic-aided chemical synthesis is slow and expensive. However, I’ve developed this...”

Fraul rustled around in the box that she had carried out with her. She searched the box for a good minute, as both Junil and Ronn watched expectantly.

“Haha, just give me a moment...” the Mage said.

She finally seemed to grab what she was looking for, and pulled it out to reveal a rolled up sheet of paper.

“Aha! This here, I’ve developed a spell that can easily separate the impurities from aluminum!”

Fraul watched Ronn and Junil’s reaction to that revelation. There was a look of interest on Junil’s face, but Ronn... well, he was still wearing a helmet, so there wasn’t much reaction to look for.

“In fact,” the Mage continued. “My aluminum is purer than any other manufacturing process! Not only is it quick and only requires magic to use, all of that can be replenished with magical potions easily!”

Junil, who moments ago looked thoughtful about the revelation of Fraul’s spell, immediately scrunched her face in annoyance.

“Well, that explains the shortage of potions in the market!” the Healer exclaimed.

“Oh, I’m sorry about that,” Fraul said. “I usually send my workers out to purchase them all early in the morning, on shipment days.”

“Fraul, you bird-brain! You’ve ruined the market for potions, I can’t even get my hands on one, and I bet the ones that are being sold are stupidly high in price!”

“Now, just wait up. Don’t start throwing accusations at me like that,” the Mage retorted. “Either way, it’s just the market correcting itself based on supply and demand. Demand goes up, so does cost. You can’t complain about that, right?”

“Yeah, I get that. The problem is that you seem to continue buying them even when the price keeps going up. That’s the reason the price goes up in the first place, when people realize they can charge higher prices and they’ll still sell!”

Fraul raised both of her hands in front of her. “Junil. Calm down and just think. I’ve planned this all out accordingly, and there’s a lot of benefits to this business plan. Just think about it!”

Junil sighed, closed her eyes, and leaned back on the couch.

A lightweight metal meant that armor and tools would be lighter. And, with Fraul mentioning that the metal was hard to make without magic, the Healer could only guess that the Mage wanted to kickstart the use of aluminum.

“I guess... you want to make it cheaper for the average person?” she asked.

The Mage scoffed at that answer.

“Oh? Why would I make it cheaper when I’m right where I want the market prices to be?” Fraul asked. “People are buying up aluminum in anticipation for the prices to rise. And I’ve been riding that wave! I’ve made tons of profits in the last few weeks, most of which I’ve re-invested back into buying potions!”

Junil’s mouth was agape.

“And you don’t want us to tell anyone?” she asked.

“That’d ruin the opportunity! If everyone knew that I had a huge stockpile and learned how to make aluminum through my magic processes, nobody would bother buying from me!”

The Healer looked at the ground, closed her eyes, then looked up at the Mage. She rubbed her forehead, asked a question in a particularly accusatory tone.

“So... you sell aluminum at high prices as an ‘investment’. While not disclosing that you yourself have a large stockpile of aluminum, and are making more with magic.”

“Precisely!”

Junil gave an incredulous stare towards the Mage.

“Fraul, isn’t this market manipulation?”

Fraul’s smile dropped for a moment. But the woman quickly picked her composure back up.

“I wouldn’t call it market manipulation. As long as people buy it at good prices, they can expect the price to go up higher. Right? What...” Fraul gave a laugh. “It’s not like the price is going to suddenly drop, right?”

Junil simply stared at the Mage.

“This is textbook market manipulation.”

“Junil, be reasonable. It’s far from ‘market manipulation’.”

“You’re advertising for investors to purchase aluminum from you. For really high market prices. And you’re not disclosing how much you actually have stocked up, which is enough to affect the markets.”

Fraul shrugged.

“Well, I don’t have much other choice. I’ve got quite a few investors who are rather... grabby with their money. I need to keep them happy, you see?”

“Investors, huh? I’ve never invested before, but what does that have to do with this?”

Ronn, on the other hand, had remained quiet for most of the bickering between Fraul and Junil. However, he had a nagging suspicion of something.

“Fraul. Did you use loan sharks to finance your operations?” the Hero asked.

Fraul reeled back and sputtered.

“Well, I mean... they count as investors too, right? Only, I went to them rather than them coming to me. Still the same thing!”

Ronn remained steadfast.

“Fraul. There is a fundamental difference between an investor and a lender. An investor enters a binding agreement with the understanding that they will only receive money when the business is successful. On the contrary, a lender will receive their money without care if the business is successful or not. And, if they do not receive it, they will pursue you for it.”

Junil glanced over at the Hero. “I didn’t know you knew finance.”

“I am my own accountant.”

“Figures,” was the Healer’s reply.

Fraul, in the meanwhile, was attempting to grasp at a justification for her plans. “Well, it’s working for me so far! I’m able to make all my loan payments on time, so them pursuing me is something I don’t need to worry about!”

“I am not one to judge an individual’s financial decisions, especially if it appears to be working out for them. However, I do warn you that this business you have, ethical concerns aside, has the potential to end disastrously,” Ronn said.

Junil shook her head. “It’s already a disaster. You’ve ruined the potion market. The price of even low-level magical regeneration potions are up like mad.”

“Market forces are just like that. I bought potions, the merchants are the ones that raised the prices. That’s out of my control, they should have stocked up on more potions.”

“Fraul, that’s not my point...” Junil muttered. “Either way, I’m now somewhat glad that I’ve been learning how to heal people naturally. Considering the lack of potions here.”

“Oh, you have?” Frail inquired. “Though, I’m no healing specialist. But isn’t healing magic simply inherently better?”

“It has its downsides. Internal bleeding, arrows lodged under the skin. That usually requires surgery and bloodletting. But in general, I’ve been looking at the underlying effects of healing magic on wounds, so we can better understand them.”

Fraul leaned forward, engrossed in the conversation. “I’m now curious. What have you been studying in particular? Healing magic has never been my strong suit, so it’d be great to hear what alternatives you’ve been looking into.”

“New ways to apply leeches to skin.”

Fraul recoiled back. “Goodness, no. That conjures bad memories. I remember the last time you convinced me that leeches were the cure for my fever.”

“It brought down your fever, right?”

“I would rather contend with the fever than have to endure the leeches again.”

Junil patted her knapsack. “I just so happen to still have some leeches with me. In fact, I might just use a leech to suck the magic out of your blood, just so I have a potion supplement with me right now.”

“...Ah, about that. Do you want a potion?”

Fraul opened up her knapsack and pulled out a small bottle from it. The fluid within was a light blue in color, which glowed slightly. She held it out to the Healer.

“It’s... still raw,” Junil said. “It’s glowing, that thing will spoil within a day.”

“You said the price of potions is high enough already, and beggars can’t be choosers,” Fraul replied.

“There’s no difference between raw and refined potions other than the shelf life, as long as you consume it immediately,” Ronn added, looking at the potion. “It should be fine to consume.”

“I know, I know,” Junil replied. “It’s just...”

The Healer stared at the Mage’s hand. She promptly narrowed her eyes.

“There’s a catch. There has to be.”

“Why would there be a catch?”

“I still remember that time you charged me four tin coins over a cup of tea. And only after I drank it.” 

“Oh, that? That was a long time ago, back when we barely knew each other. But we’re friends now, right?”

Junil gave a blank stare towards Fraul.

“Friends. Yeah,” she scoffed. The Healer gave a short, unamused laugh. “Yeah, you can say that again.”

“If you’re not too intent on my goodwill, I promise that this vial will be free of charge,” Fraul replied.

Junil hesitated, then snatched up the vial from Fraul’s hands.

“Now that would be five large brass coins please — I kid, Junil. Junil, wait, get that hand out of your bag—”

A live leech flew from Junil’s hand and landed smack on Fraul’s face.

The Mage gave a shrill scream and flung the leech back at the Healer. Junil promptly caught it midair and placed it back in her bag.

“Wh... why do you still carry leeches in your pack?” Fraul exclaimed.

“I warned you. Didn’t I?”

“I thought you were jesting!”

“What’s wrong with leeches? They’re good for medical pro—”

Fraul grabbed a bar of aluminum from her box and flung it at the Healer.

“Just take your potion and get out!”

Junil stumbled out of the way of the projectile. Realizing that she was probably not welcome anymore, she immediately headed for the door, opened it up, then stepped out. And then fell flat on her face.

She forgot that the anti-nausea spell was still in effect, and she still had no sense of balance.

Ronn stepped up from behind her, past the door. He closed the door behind them and then looked down at the Healer.

“Junil, are you alright?”

The Healer in question tried to push herself to her feet. But trying to do so was difficult without balance.

“Ronn. I can’t get up.”

Ronn closed the door behind him, then knelt down and placed one of his armored hands behind Junil’s head.

“You cannot?”

“The earlier seasickness got to me. I’m tired. That, and the lack of balance, I don’t think I can get back up.”

Ronn examined his incapacitated Healer, looking her up to down before deciding on a course of action.

He slid his hand below Junil’s head down to her back, and swept his other hand under Junil’s knees. The Healer’s eyes widened in surprise as he lifted her up effortlessly.

“Is that better?” he asked.

The Healer looked up at him, then back down at the ground.

“A princess carry? Really?”

“I could perform a fireman’s carry, if you wish.”

Junil shifted within Ronn’s arms.

“I’m fine with this. But I’d rather walk, if I had the option.”

A group of women who were walking by giggled as they witnessed the Healer being carried by the Hero. Junil’s face flushed a little.

“...It’s also rather embarrassing.”

Ronn shook his head. “You are tired and feeling unwell. I would not recommend attempting to exert yourself. I will find us an inn, and we shall rest.”

The Hero looked up at the sky, towards the setting sun. “Nighttime is almost here, too.”

Junil sighed. She leaned her head into Ronn’s armored chest plate and closed her eyes. “Fair enough. Just make it quick.”

Ronn stepped through the slowly-darkening yet still bustling streets of the port town. A lamplighter stepped by the Hero, one of many who were getting to work lighting the various gas lamps around the town. Speckles of light flickered into existence along the roads of the town and the windows of buildings.

Junil couldn’t help but think of the conversation they had earlier with the Mage.

“I’m almost relieved that Fraul isn’t joining us,” Junil admitted. “She wasn’t too enthused by our presence. Probably afraid we’d put a stop to it.”

“While it is certainly unprofessional of her to be running such a racket, I would not have stopped her,” Ronn replied. “But I do worry about the relationship between the both of you. It seems you two always bicker whenever you talk with one another.”

Junil looked up at Ronn and frowned.

“I’m still irritated over her coin-pinching tendencies, you know that,” she retorted.

“Both of you practice magic. Would that not be a point of collaboration?”

“Fraul’s magic is different from mine. She uses hers to attack. I use mine to heal. Either way, it’s not her magic type that gets me twisted in a knot, I can manage a conversation with other combat mages well. I just dislike her as a person.”

Junil could hear a shuddering sigh from beneath Ronn’s helmet.

“You two were not like this during the War.”

“Because the War was before I learned how much of a money grubber she was. And I put aside my opinions then for the war effort.”

“Regardless, Fraul is a powerful and efficient mage. She has pioneered some of the best spell casting theories of the last century. You can learn from her theory crafting, as she can learn from your attention to detail.”

“Yeah, and what did she do with her casting theories? Wrote textbooks on them and sold them for insane markups. Not only that, she used her clout as a member of the Hero Party to make some really pricey closed-door deals with magical universities! Rather than releasing those theories for cheap. She gets a hefty royalty for every textbook that’s sold, you know that?”

“I do not really comment on the ethics of such economic decisions. Last time I have done so, it resulted—”

“—in a run on brass coins when your words were taken out of context, I remember. I’m with you on that, you have a frightening amount of sway on material markets. But Fraul here is just one person, and she’s arguably doing more damage if you were to keep your mouth shut than if you were to say something. You have leverage, just... I don’t know, threaten to reveal her scheme to the city!”

“That is entirely antithetical as to how I operate.”

“Well, if not that then think of something!”

“We have not come here to critique Fraul’s business schemes, remember that. We are here to gather information and prepare for a search of the Second Coming.”

“Whatever,” Junil huffed. She crossed her arms. “I have a hunch you’re not much of a business guy yourself, so of course you won’t understand...”

Ronn turned his head down to look at his Healer companion.

“Not only am I my own accountant, I have knowledge in basic bookkeeping, primarily for expenses relating to the Party along with personal expenses. So I do have some knowledge in that.”

“Of course you’re a bookkeeper, too. What did I expect?”

“Regardless. Please do not discount my knowledge on other subjects simply because being the Hero is my main profession.”

“...Sorry.”

“Apology accepted.”

The Hero left it at that, as he used his shoulder to push open the door of an inn that they would typically stay at in New Frontierland. The inside was bustling with activity, accompanied by the warm smells of stews and grilled meat.

“Do you wish to eat supper?” Ronn asked.

“Don’t talk about food right now,” Junil replied. “I’m not nauseous anymore, but my stomach still hasn’t settled.”

“That is fine.”

Ronn stepped up to the attendant, who was gawking at the Hero standing before him.

“I will have to pay after leaving my companion in the room,” Ronn admitted. “As it is rather difficult to reach my coin purse while carrying her. Will that be fine?”

“O-oh, yes!” the attendant exclaimed. “That is perfectly fine, my Sire! What do you want?”

“A room with two beds.”

“Right on it!”

Ronn bowed with his head. “I give my gratitude.”

“No need for that!” the humble attendant exclaimed. “I will lead you right to your room.”

Ronn followed the attendant, until the attendant stopped at a door.

“Here’s a room we have for you two. Let me open the door for you, since your hands are occupied...”

“Thank you,” Ronn said.

The door closed behind him. Ronn proceeded to walk over to the second bed, then gingerly laid Junil down on it.

“You should consume that potion before it spoils,” he said.

“Oh. Right!”

Junil uncapped the potion and began to drink up the glowing fluid. Meanwhile, Ronn was stepping back towards the door.

Junil paused her drinking, then looked towards the Hero. “Where are you going?”

“I will need to perform research on the Grand Elm region,” Ronn said. “We were unable to gather much information here, as we were preoccupied with contacting Fraul and dealing with your seasickness troubles.”

“Yeah, I’m... sorry about that. My seasickness was pretty bad, and I’m still tired after vomiting so much.”

“Junil, there is no apology needed. I should have accounted for that when we embarked.”

The Healer finished the last of her potion, then tossed the empty bottle on the nightstand.

“Ronn, you don’t need to take responsibility every time I mess up,” Junil replied.

“Regardless.”

“You always ‘regardless’ me every time. Anyway, I’m tired. Goodnight.”

A rustling came from the bed as Junil turned over, pulling the covers all the way up over her head. Ronn peered at her restintg form, then turned to the door.

“Have a good rest. I will continue gathering information for our trip tomorrow.”

“...You should sleep too, it’s not healthy to stay up all night. But you’re the Hero, so you do you.”

“I have been without sleep for several concurrent nights before. I shall be at the city’s library to perform research.”

As Ronn opened the door, he paused.

“Goodnight.”

Then, he stepped out.

3