Chapter 18: Fort Logger
74 6 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Of course the rain has to hit!” the Healer exclaimed.

Both Ronn and Junil were now trudging through the mud as a steady trickle of water rushed past their legs. It wouldn’t be long before the water was going over their feet, and soaking their footwear in the process.

The rain was already starting off heavy, battering the straw raincoats they were both wearing. The shabby coats were enough to keep their top halves dry, for the time being, but their shoes and socks were getting soaked.

The muddy water beneath their feet was starting to splash on the bottom half of their pants, essentially guaranteeing that their shoes would be soaked through-and-through

“This is cold,” the Healer said, through chattering teeth. “How much further do we have to go?”

“Not far,” Ronn continued. “We may need to climb a section, and then we will be at the front gates of Fort Logger within a few minutes of walking.”

“Climb?” Junil asked, incredulous. “Climbing, in this weather?”

“Indeed,” Ronn replied. “I have stated that there is some climbing required. The rain, while unfortunate, should not hinder our efforts. We have gone through worse, after all.”

That was undeniably true. However, Junil entirely expected this mission of apprehending the Demon Lord’s sister to be a quick campaign. Now, she was shivering underneath a cheap raincoat as the heavy rain began to soak through the inadequate straw waterproofing.

Finally, they reached the ‘climbing’ section. However, due to the heavy rain, it was less climbing and more trudging up muddy slopes that had formed due to the rain in question.

If there had been any more water, Junil swore she would’ve had to swim up the cliff.

It had gotten to a point where Ronn had to unsheathe his sword to stab into the ground, to use as a walking stick. Junil likewise used her short staff similarly, digging the end of it into the mud for grip.

“...The first time I’ve used this in months, and it’s as a walking cane,” the Healer muttered.

Eventually, it got to a point where they had to grab tree roots to even hold on to the water rushing past them. Junil almost tripped once, but Ronn swiftly grabbed her by her forearm to prevent her going face-first into the mud.

“This is excessively harsh weather,” Ronn stated.

“You think?”

Junil was less than amused.

The rain was beginning to let up. The trail was still a muddy mess, but the lessened rain meant that not as much water as before was going to sabotage their trip.

Eventually, they could see a glimpse of some of the outer watchtowers of Fort Logger. They were tall yet simple structures made of untreated logs, with a small wooden platform on top that wasn’t even covered to protect it from the elements. 

“You said this was a lookout post, right?” Junil asked. As she trudged through the mud, she looked to her right to see that one of the posts in question had been toppled. Based on how sunk into the mud it looked, it seemed to have been that way for some time. “Eugh, why’s this place so... poorly maintained?”

“The area around Fort Logger has always had particularly harsh rainstorms during this season, like the one we have just gone through,” Ronn said. “Establishing a permanent residence has not been easy. Hardy materials are difficult to carry up.”

“Really?” Junil asked. “Considering how much you said this place was important, I’d thought that it’d... look a little better, let’s just say.”

“Fort Logger was indeed important during the War,” Ronn clarified. “However, this fort has only ever seen use two times. The garrison was pulled back shortly before the War had concluded.”

“Why?”

“The front line had pushed so far into the Demonfolk territories that holding a garrison here was considered an unnecessary allocation of resources,” he replied.

Junil nodded. She was still shivering a little, from wearing the sopping wet straw raincoat. At least it wasn’t poking into her clothes anymore.

Squinting her eyes, the Healer looked up at the sky. The Healer could see the rising smoke pillar of what appeared to be a campfire or fireplace. It was particularly close, difficult to see at first due to how well it blended into the cloudy sky. However, it was undeniable that they were close to Fort Logger.

Soon, the two reached a large wooden wall bound together by ropes and made of sharpened logs. Junil was glancing up and down the wooden spike wall, a spark of recognition in her eyes. 

“This place definitely looks familiar,” she said.

“A palisade,” Ronn said, in reference to the technical term of the wall. “Indeed we’ve been here once, in the past. But that had been earlier in the war.”

“I... somewhat remember coming here,” Junil admitted. “This place rings some bells.”

“Our visit was years ago,” Ronn admitted. “It was immediately after New Frontierland had fallen under attack from the Demon Lord’s armies.”

“I guess there’s a history lesson that comes with that?” Junil continued.

“Indeed. But we do not have much time to go over it, considering the confrontation we will be headed into shortly.”

The Healer glanced up at Ronn. “A what?”

“We shall be expecting a fight at any moment,” he said. “Considering that the Second Coming is likely to be here. If she is not, we can travel down the trail on the other side of the mountain.”

In response, Junil whipped out her wand. “Should I be prepared?”

“Yes. She may have compromised the security of Fort Logger.”

The two were walking forward steadily. There wasn’t a guard posted at the front gate at all, which was closed shut. Ronn glanced over at it, before raising his voice.

“Hello!” he exclaimed. “I am the Hero, with my Healer companion. Might there be anyone within the walls of Fort Logger at this moment?”

There was no response. Ronn tensed up a bit, and Junil’s nervousness grew. The Healer’s ironclad grip on her wand tightened.

The Hero waited for another thirty seconds, before he called again. “This is the Hero Party at your front doors. Please answer us, otherwise we may need to forcibly enter!”

Not ten seconds later came a response, a loud male’s voice twinged with annoyance.

“Alright, alright. Just took me a second to get back here, now what’s it you need?”

Coming into view over the wall was a pale young man, his skin a very light tinge of blue. From that alone, along with his white hair, Ronn could deduce that this individual was likely a Snow Spirit. And he was probably one of the workers here, considering the goggles he wore over his forehead.

Seeing that there was at least someone alive within Fort Logger allowed Junil to release her breath, in a sigh of relief.

“We simply request entry into Fort Logger,” Ronn stated. “For official business relating to the Hero Party. May you please open the doors?”

“Official business?” the Snow Spirit asked. “Never heard anything from Tila about this... Hold on, let me fetch her.”

Before Ronn could say another word, the Snow Spirit stepped away and began calling for Tila in question. This effectively left both Hero and Healer by themselves, right outside the walls.

“Seems like Fort Logger’s fine,” Junil said. “I didn’t expect to see a Snow Spirit this far to the north, though.”

“A lot of non-Human prospectors have been headed to these lands, as far as I am aware. He is likely part of that group.”

A minute of silence passed, with the only sounds being the light pattering of rain. The Snow Spirit in question then reappeared again, peeking his head from over the wooden wall.

“Sorry for keepin’ you waiting!” he said. “Tila’s gonna be with ya in a moment!”

“Please, take your time,” Ronn replied. Junil grumbled about how she didn’t want to stay in the rain any longer.

Then, next to the Snow Spirit, a familiar woman stepped into view. She glanced down at Ronn, and shot him a grin.

“The Hero! It’s been some time since I’ve seen you,” she exclaimed, waving down at him. “I can recognize that armor anywhere, even through all that mud covering you!”

“Yeah, hardy-har,” Junil scoffed. “Open the gates, we’ve been trudging through rain for the past hour.”

Junil couldn’t see clearly from down where she stood, but she swore that Tila raised an eyebrow at her statement. “Alright, missy. Don’t be so impatient, I’ll open the gates.”

Tila disappeared behind the wall as she stepped back. Seconds later, one side of the large wooden gate swung open. Junil and Ronn promptly stepped through, to see that Tila was pushing it open on her own.

After closing the heavy door, the Human woman then stepped up to Ronn, and offered her hand for a handshake.

“Hello. You probably know me already, since I know you. Just in case you don’t, name’s Tila.  I’m the lead of the camp.”

Ronn took her hand and shook it in turn. “Indeed, I do remember your name. You’ve been at Fort Logger for some time, have you?”

“Yep. Been here for... years so far,” Tila said. “I never expected to see the Hero and Healer up here. I’m guessing you’re up here on some urgent business, considering that I’d been given no notice?”

“I did give notice,” Ronn replied. “Through a messenger pigeon. Has it not arrived?”

“Probably blown off course, I’ve got nothing,” Tila said. “The weather could be like that. Not your fault.”

Tila then glanced over the two, raising an eyebrow.

“Where’s the other two? The Arbalest and the Mage?”

“Both of them had been preoccupied with other tasks,” the Hero responded. “They could not accompany me.”

Tila frowned, then snapped her fingers.

“Drat. I was hoping to get the Mage to pay me back.”

“Fraul owes you money?”

“She technically owes all of Fort Logger money,” the lead of the fort grumbled. “Said that she had some great business idea and promised to pay us back, plus more. That was a few months ago, and I haven’t heard a peep from her.”

“How much was the amount?”

“Uhm... well, we gave her a grand total of... four Large Electrum coins, two Great Electrums, one Ridged Electrum?” Tila replied. “The four Larges were me. The two Greats were from my Demonfolk co-worker, Serclow. Then there’s this dumb Snow Spirit, Flaker, who managed to scrape up the Ridged Electrum somehow...”

Junil’s hat rustled as she tilted her head. “Weren’t the Ridged ones phased out years ago?”

“Yeah, they were,” Tila replied, shrugging. “As I said: Dumb Snow Spirit somehow saved one up. Supposedly they’re still accepted as legal currency.”

“My apologies for the lost funds,” Ronn added. “I will ensure that I discuss with Fraul to ensure she pays off her current outstanding debts.”

“You better. I planned on moving out of this heap-shack,” Tila said, pointing to one of the few cabins in Fort Logger that wasn’t run down. “Maybe get a place in New Frontierland, or even the Capital. But those plans are rather... on hold, let’s just say.”

“Do you plan on obtaining a place for you and this Demonfolk co-worker of yours?” Ronn asked.

“What? No, not at all. I’d never bunk with one of ‘em if given the chance, I just want the money so we can finally go our separate ways. As I’m aware, Serclow has his own girlfriend who manages a barge.”

From across the fort, all three of them could hear a shout from a man.

“I heard that, Tila!”

That was probably Serclow.

The two stepped over to a shaded area next to the cabin, to get out of the rain. Junil glanced around the inside of the admittedly run-down fort, her eyes flickering to the piles of rotting wood and old equipment strewn about.

“What a mess,” the Healer muttered. “Look at all this stuff. I see some old ballistas. Trebuchets? This equipment looks old, why’s it all piled off to the side?”

“Who knows?” Tila asked. “They left it all behind when Fort Logger was no longer a fort. We’ve been using it for firewood.”

“Don’t you chop wood here?” the Healer asked. “Why burn perfectly good equipment?”

Tila scoffed. “It’s junk now, the war is over. And newly-cut wood is moist. Won’t burn. The old lumber here? Perfect for a cozy fire.”

Tila pushed over an old wooden wagon with her leg, to make way for the two members of the Hero Party. The wagon in question fell apart, the wheels sliding off as the chassis crumbled.

“No offense, but this place is a dump,” Junil said, staring at the remains of the cart. “Don’t you guys provide a lot of New Frontierland’s lumber? I expected a bigger operation here... in fact, how many of you are there?”

“Hah! A ‘lot’ of New Frontierland’s lumber? Where’d you get that idea?” Tila asked. “Well, for this rotation, it’s just three of us. Me, Serclow, and Flaker the Snow Spirit. We usually get more people during the summer, when the weather’s better to log in.”

“Just three of you? How do you even chop enough wood for the town?”

“Painstakingly,” was the woman’s short reply. “Flaker doesn’t sleep. At all. As for me? I’m running on three hours of sleep and five cups of black coffee.”

“...No wonder you want to get outta here,” the Healer sighed.

“Exactly!”

Ronn then added his own question.

“Should you choose to leave Fort Logger, who will continue the logging operations in your stead?” he asked.

“Beats me. It’s not my problem once I leave, though. Logging company can handle that, I’m just paid to cut trees.”

Once they were inside the rather warm cabin, Tila offered both of them a seat. All things considered, the inside was rather neat. A fire burned in the stone fireplace off to the side, and some food and drinks were set up on an empty table.

“Alright, so what are you two here for?” Tila asked. “Something good? Something bad? I’m betting it’s the latter, considering this is on short notice!”

“Bad,” Ronn stated. “We do not have much time, admittedly. I have a question to ask you: Have you seen a Demonfolk girl with orange hair, orange eyes, and horns that curl backwards?”

Tila’s smile faltered, and she hesitated.

“Huh? Her? Yeah, I’ve seen her... In fact, we just picked up a Demonfolk gal exactly like that not too long ago.”

Ronn, who had just sat down on his seat, immediately stood back up.

“Where is she at this very moment?” he asked.

Tila was surprised at Ronn’s straightforwardness and reaction time. She blinked twice, then continued. “Well... she said that there were people after her. She was headed to New Frontierland, and we figured that having her go down the trail wouldn’t be safe. So we decided to send her down the log flume instead, on a boat.”

The head of Fort Logger gave Ronn a nod, as though expecting him to be reassured by that information. Ronn didn’t say anything, but clenched his fist a little. The lack of response made Tila a little uncomfortable, so she continued asking questions.

“You’re here to protect her, right? I’m guessing she’s a... VIP of sorts? Don’t worry, the log flume should be safe for her to go down.”

“Where is she at this very moment?” Ronn asked, more insistently this time.

The Human woman frowned a little.

“Her? She’s... Well, I told you, she’s been sent down the log flume. Building itself is located on the side of the walls facing New Frontierland.”

Tila then pointed in the general direction of the log flume. “I think one of my other guys are over there—”

“I will be headed there immediately,” Ronn said. Before he left, however, he paused and placed a small pouch of cash onto the table.

“I shall pay off Fraul’s debts for you. Consider them resolved. This should likely be enough cash, in addition to accumulated interest payments.”

“Wait—”

Tila could only say one word before he rushed out the door. The head of Fort Logger then glanced over at the Healer.

“...Is he still so rushed even after the war?” she asked Junil.

“I think I know why he’s so rushed,” the mint-haired Healer replied. “Can’t really tell you why, though. I’ll have to go with him so he doesn’t do anything stupid.”

Again, Tila couldn’t say anything else before the Healer, too, left, leaving the flabbergasted Human woman alone in the cabin.

Both Ronn and Junil were now headed for a building that was located right against one of the walls of Fort Logger. There was a particularly large water tower that stood just to the side of it.

“Are we really going to follow her?” Junil asked.

“Yes.”

The opening to the log flume itself was mostly open-walled. Several cut tree trunks lay on their sides next to the log flume. They could see a Demonfolk man standing next to it, probably the Serclow that Tila had mentioned.

“Is the Demonfolk girl here?” Ronn asked.

“Who? The one with orange hair?” Serclow asked. “You just missed her, she just hopped down.”

Both Ronn and Junil were staring daggers into the Demonfolk man.

“Hey, what are you looking at me for? The Sollar girl wanted to get to New Frontierland as quick as possible, not that she could go on foot during the rain. We did her a little favor.”

“You should not have done that,” Ronn said.

“Is it because it’s dangerous? I’ve been down this a few times myself, only got a little scuffed,” the Demonfolk laborer replied. “Course, I’d prefer walking down.”

Ronn held his tongue. He did not wish to reveal the Demonfolk girl’s status as the Second Coming, especially not to another member of the Demonfolk themselves.

“She is... indeed, an important individual,” he continued. “Are you, in any way, shape, or form, able to stop the water flow on this?”

The Demonfolk guy yawned. “Nah. Things go down, nothing goes up. Only way to get to her is to go down yourself.”

“Then we shall do that,” Ronn stated.

“Yeah, you do... wait, you plan on doing what?”

By then, Ronn had grabbed an additional flume raft and was placing it on the flume itself. The wood creaked beneath the weight of his armor as the Hero steadily placed the raft on.

“Junil, hop on,” he said. .

“Wait, isn’t this a little rash?” the Healer asked. “I’m not going down there on my own.”

“We shall slide down this together,” he stated.

“Wait,” Serclow said. “These weren’t made to slide down more than one person per boat at a time, even if they look like so. Hold on—”

The Demonfolk man attempted to grab one of them by the arm or shoulder, to stop them. But he was just a moment too late, as Ronn basically tossed Junil into the raft, before hopping in himself.

Serclow could only watch in disbelief as the raft was immediately swept away by the fast-flowing water. He stood there, mouth agape, simply looking at the place the two used to be moments ago.

“Are you kidding me,” he muttered.

2