Chapter 23: Fraul
81 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

To the disdain of an exhausted Junil, Ronn decided that the first thing both of them should do was to sweep the streets. Even though it was at a late hour, one that the Healer would’ve preferred to go to sleep at, the Hero insisted that searching in the precious hours they had before morning should take priority.

“She is likely to be planning as we speak,” he said.

Junil wanted to argue, but she was too exhausted to commit any thought to it. She didn’t stop grumbling as they patrolled the empty streets of New Frontierland, seeing almost nobody in every street they came across.

The first interesting individual they ran across wasn’t the Second Coming, but rather, one of New Frontierland’s night watchmen. Namely, a Wisp lamplighter.

“Oh, a pair of Demonfolk? And one being an apricot-haired girl?” the Wisp asked. She held a pole over her shoulder, with a lamp hanging off the end. The lamp was glowing a light blue.

“Indeed,” Ronn confirmed. “Have you witnessed such an individual within the past several hours?”

The Wisp scratched her head. “Maybe? I might have the information, but it’s being a little difficult for me to jog it up right now...”

Her lantern bobbled as she scratched her head with the hand she used to hold the lamp pole.

“Do you have difficulty recalling it?” Ronn asked.

“Yeah, somewhat. But my memory could be jogged if I had a little encouragement,” the Wisp said. She made it obvious what she wanted, rubbing her thumb and pointer finger together.

Ronn simply stared her down.

“Absolutely not,” he said.

Junil literally witnessed the Wisp shrink down from Ronn’s statement.

“Y-y-you can’t blame someone for trying to make some money nowadays, can’t you?” the Wisp asked, trying to defend herself.

“This is official business of the Hero Party,” Ronn replied. “It is imperative you tell us what you know, otherwise I might have a word with New Frontierland’s council on your conduct.”

Now that made the Wisp speak up.

“Alright, alright,” she said. “But I don’t remember exactly where I saw them. The streets look all the same at night, and I don’t pay much attention to areas that I’ve already lit the lamps at.”

“It is no matter,” Ronn continued. “Simply point us in the direction they had gone.”

“Well, I met them a few blocks back,” she continued, pointing down the street. “But as for where they went? I don’t remember, I just told them to find lodging for the night.”

The Hero nodded.

“Very well,” he said. “I will overlook the request you made for payment. Miss Junil, let us go.”

After making sufficient distance for the Wisp to no longer be in earshot, Junil then asked Ronn a question.

“Did you not pay her out of principle, or because we didn’t have the money?”

“A little bit of both, Miss Junil.”

A grin was plastered on the Healer’s face.

Now you’re a little nuanced. I like that,” the Healer said.

“Without any interruptions from you, too. You’d typically interject yourself into a conversation like that,” the Hero said.

Junil frowned.

“I don’t like talking to Wisps... they’re creepy,” the Healer said. “How do you even handle talking to them?”

“It typically takes time to become acclimated to individuals that are apparitions. From what I have heard, Demonfolk do not have such issues,” Ronn said.

The two reached the street that the Wisp had pointed them to. And, looking down the street in question, and at the very many doors there were, the two quickly figured out how monumental the task ahead of them was.

“...Now is the time to be a little nuanced, too,” the Healer said. “Ronn, we’re not seriously going to be checking every single one of these inns for blocks down to find them, are we?”

“That would be counterproductive to our goal of remaining discreet, Miss Junil,” he said. “Waking everyone up will only bring attention to us.”

“Good, you agree with me for once,” the Healer said. “Now, can we—”

Junil was about to say ‘rest up for the night’, but Ronn had begun speaking moments before she started her second sentence.

“Fraul is capable of assisting us search for the exact position of the Second Coming,” Ronn said. “She would have been unlikely to accompany us to search for the Second Coming, due to her obligations. However, she does not have to leave the city if we merely ask her for a wide-area detection spell. We should seek her assistance.”

Junil groaned, once again. She also rubbed a hand through her hair, in irritation.

“I’m still going to punch that woman for what she’s done to the potions market.”

Ronn glanced down at the Healer.

“Again, I recommend against doing that, Miss Junil. She is far less likely to lend her aid if you antagonize her.”

“And she’s also unlikely to lend her aid if we don’t pay that money-grubbing Mage for that ‘favor’,” the Healer muttered. Despite that, Ronn persisted.

The two proceeded in the opposite direction, towards the old house that Fraul had fixed up to use for her base of operations. They weren’t exactly sure where the Mage was, but logic dictated that she’d probably be there at this hour.

The walk took a few minutes, and Ronn knocked on the door to see Fraul’s assistant slide open the peephole. The assistant recognized the two immediately, but didn’t open the door.

“Madame Fraul is busy,” Sila stated. “How important is this matter?”

“Of highest priority,” Ronn stated.

“Can it wait for tomorrow morning?”

“It cannot, unfortunately,” Ronn said.

Sila stared at the two and slid the peephole closed. The next few seconds were occupied by the sounds of her undoing the many locks on the door, before she opened it up.

“Fraul is currently preoccupied,” Sila said. “She is in her office. However, I will not be the one to interrupt her.”

“May you please take us to her, at the very least?” Ronn asked.

“I can. But if she gets mad, you’ll be handling her on your own.”

All three stopped when they heard the muffled yet all-too-familiar shouting of an angry Mage coming from another room.

“I think she’s mad already,” Junil said.

This was followed by a repeated thumping, followed by the sound of wood shattering.

“...And she’s probably throwing a tantrum, too,” the Healer added.

Sila decided to melt away into another room, to avoid the inevitable mess that the Hero and the Healer were going to literally walk into.

It wasn’t difficult to find the room that Fraul was in, due to all the shouting. Ronn opened the door to Fraul’s personal office, to witness the Mage shouting at a man.

“—and I can’t have those workers just be sitting on me like that!” Fraul exclaimed. “The shipments tomorrow are important! We can’t just—!”

“I understand,” the man replied. “However, a lot of the load crew have gotten ill lately.”

“Then have them hire healers!” Fraul exclaimed. “Dang it, Ralek! You’re the one who’s supposed to be helping me here!”

“They can’t cover the costs of magic potions for healers to bring them back to full health, potions are too expensive!”

“Get the remaining load crew working, then! Pull from the reserves if you have to! Have them work overtime, I don’t care!”

“I do not recommend going ‘I don’t care,’ Madame Fraul,” said Ralek. “Word is, they are threatening to go on strike. Part of their demands is partial access to your potions for medical purposes.”

Fraul slammed both her hands on the desk.

“Are they crazy?” she exclaimed. “They can’t be so entitled as to think they can...”

Finally, Fraul took notice of Ronn.

“Oh. Wait, how long have you been there?” Fraul asked.

Junil stepped from behind the Hero. “Long enough to see that you’re having trouble with your little hustle,” the Healer replied.

The Mage placed both arms on her hips. “Well, if it isn’t Junil. Neither of you say anything about what you’ve overheard, alright? I can handle my own problems.”

“We have not come to inquire about your aluminum business,” Ronn replied. “I merely have a favor to ask you.”

Fraul waved her hand to dismiss the man that she had been yelling at earlier. Ronn stepped forward, away from the door, to allow him to leave. He stepped out, stoic faced despite the verbal lashing he had just received from the Mage.

Once the door was closed, Fraul began to speak again.

“Well?” she asked. “Spit it out, what favor are you asking for? I don’t have all the time in the world!”

The Hero decided to get straight to the point.

“A wide-area detection spell of the entirety of New Frontierland.”

The Mage’s eyebrows furrowed, as she did the mental calculations on the effort that would require.

“That? Really? But it’s gonna take up a ton of magic to use that spell,” the Mage replied. “And magic doesn’t grow off of trees.”

“They do, with the right trees,” the Healer interjected.

Fraul glared at Junil. Junil glared back.

“You know what I mean,” Fraul muttered. “I’ll need to use about two of my good potions to cast a spell that covers all of New Frontierland.”

“I am aware that you have been purchasing and stockpiling potions, Madame Fraul,” the Hero said. “You should have a few to spare, am I correct?”

“Yeah, I do,” Fraul said. As if to emphasize this, she opened up one of several small pouches on the sides of her dress to show a multitude of filled potion vials.

“However,” the Mage continued. “I’m running a tight budget here. Pay the price of two good-quality potions, and I’ll be willing to do it.”

If Junil had been any less tired, she would’ve exploded at the Mage right then and there. However, Ronn held his hand up, to stop her from saying anything. The Hero stepped forward.

“If you request payment for the use of your potions, I will reserve the right to look into your business dealings,” the Hero stated.

“What for?” Fraul asked, narrowing her eyes.

“If you are running on such thin margins, my accounting skills might be of help,” the Hero replied.

There was a silent stand-off between the two for about five seconds, before Fraul finally caved.

“Fine,” she said. “I’ll generously give you both of these for free. But no more, you got that?”

“Give me a third potion,” Junil said, butting in. “Then we can call it even.”

The glare that the Mage sent Junil could’ve melted blocks of ice. But, she tossed over a third potion that the Healer snatched midair.

Fraul then pulled two of the potion vials out of the pouch, and popped the cork cap off of one with the nail of her thumb. She down that potion, and did the same with the other potion.

At that moment, Fraul stiffened, as her hair momentarily puffed up as though a gust of wind had blown up from under her. The Mage’s eyes were wide open as she was completely energized by the drinks.

She grabbed the staff that she kept on her back, and slammed the foot of it against the floor. A ring of magical runes formed in midair around where she had planted her staff.

“Alright,” Fraul said. “Who is it you want me to look for in this town?”

“Any Demonfolk with a signature that is most similar to the Demon Lord,” Ronn said.

Fraul did a double take at that.

“Wait, the Demon Lord? Is it that serious?” the Mage asked.

The Hero nodded. “To an extent, it is. We are currently in the search for an individual who has had associations with the Demon Lord.”

“Continue,” Fraul said. “Who is it?”

“I am unsure if this is information I can disclose,” Ronn replied.

Fraul huffed. “You can! I’m still part of the Hero Party, so just let me in on what you know!”

Ronn was quiet for about ten seconds. Then, he spoke.

“The individual that Junil and I have been pursuing is the younger sister of the Demon Lord. She is projected to be his Second Coming.”

Fraul glanced at the glowing spell on her staff as she gradually conjured the spill.

“The Demon Lord’s... younger sister? You should’ve mentioned this to me earlier,” Fraul said. “You two went out two days ago, right? And now they’re already in New Frontierland?”

“Yes. Both Junil and I have had witness to it.”

The spell itself gradually strengthened above Fraul’s staff. She was concentrating her magic into it, allowing a map that had the vague topographical appearance of New Frontierland to manifest in front of her.

“So, you said she’s similar to the Demon Lord. I can only guess her magical signature is similar, too,” the Mage said.

“We can only assume so. Her magic likely deviates slightly, but not by much. Perform the spell as though you are searching for the Demon Lord, and broaden your search from there.”

“Ronn, this spell is still rather new, so I can’t say it’ll get her for sure.”

“Do try your best, and take your time.”

It took a minute before a bright glow began to shine at a very specific point in the magical topographical map that was cast as an illusion in front of Fraul. The Mage sighed in relief, seeing that the spell worked.

One of the central streets of New Frontierland lit up, showing an approximate area that covered about six buildings.

“She’s on the Inn Street, it seems,” the Mage said. “Somewhere on that road.”

“Are you capable of narrowing down further where she might be?” Ronn asked.

Fraul shook her head. “I told you, the spell isn’t refined yet. Narrowing it down would require an unrealistic amount of magic potions at hand.”

“How many?”

Fraul began counting on her fingers.

“About... twelve cases to fifteen cases of medium-quality potions,” she concluded.

Ronn nodded, accepting the conclusion that he would not be able to realistically convince Fraul to consume that many potions for this task.

“That is alright,” he said. “Fraul, may you accompany us in searching the buildings that the Second Coming may be in?”

“Ronn, don’t you know that I’ve been having a ton of work lately?” Fraul asked. “I can’t drop everything and help you with this one little thing. In fact, I’ve had to turn away my labor assistant, Ralek, to talk with you.”

Fraul dissipated the spell she had out and leaned on the desk in the room.

“Even if it is the Demon Lord’s sister you’re going after, I’m confident you can do it on your own. Considering how strong you are. Right?”

“Wait, wait, wait,” the Healer said. “Ronn, look. I’m tired. You’re probably tired also... maybe not, but I’m tired. And the Second Coming isn’t going to be going anywhere, because the fast ships to the Capital won’t be moving until morning.”

“If the Second Coming makes her move after we have rested, we will lose the initiative,” Ronn stated.

“Aha! You’d think so,” the Healer said, pointing her index finger up. “But I don’t think that’d be a problem. Our lovely Fraul here can cast that same spell again if she so wished. We simply need to wake up early, have Fraul cast that same spell, and we’ll be on our way!”

The Hero was now deep in thought, his hand on his chin.

“Wait, I never said—” Fraul was about to say, but Ronn stopped her.

“I do believe Junil’s line of action is a potentially worthwhile one,” the Hero admitted. 

“B-but I can’t just waste another two potions like that!” the Mage exclaimed. “Potions are expensive!”

“Again: If you claim to have such financial difficulties, I am willing to lend my accounting skills to improve the efficiency of your processes. The benefits would be more than enough to pay for the potions that you would need to consume, I believe?”

Fraul sputtered, trying to think of a retort. But she couldn’t, so she just threw up her hands.

“...Fine!” the Mage conceded. “Whatever. Stay here if you want, I don’t really care anymore. Just make sure you’re out of my hair by tomorrow morning!”

“Will do,” Junil said, with a smirk. She gave a thumbs up, which only enraged the Mage further.

“We will take you up on that offer to accommodate us for the night,” Ronn said, as he opened up the door. Junil left the room before the fuming Fraul could say anything else.

Once they were out, they made their way up the stairs to one of the guest rooms.

“I never expected you to indirectly threaten Fraul,” Junil said.

“Threaten?” Ronn asked. “I have not threatened her. What are you referring to?”

“When you said you were going to look through her accounting records if she didn’t hand the potions over,” the Healer pointed out.

Ronn looked down at Junil, as he opened the door to one of the guest bedrooms.

“I was not looking to threaten her. Did it truly seem that way to you?” the Hero asked.

“So you were offering her genuine help,” the Healer said.

“Yes.”

Junil looked up at the Hero with an exhausted stare.

“You’re hopeless, Ronn.”

She then opened the door to one of the other guest rooms and stepped in.

“I do not see how extending assistance to another individual makes me ‘hopeless’, Miss Junil,” the Hero said.

Junil scoffed. “Whatever. I just think she’s doing something legally dubious, and I thought you shared the same opinions too.”

The Hero could hear the Healer flopping right onto the bed of the guest room, without even closing the door. He looked over to chastise her for not doing so.

“Miss Junil?”

Ronn glanced into the room. However, the Healer was now quietly snoring. She had fallen asleep the moment she hit the bed.

“I suppose I should rest myself, then,” the Hero said, lowering his voice. “But I cannot stand by idly as the Second Coming remains out in New Frontierland.”

He gave the sleeping Healer a pat on the head. 

“I apologize, Miss Junil,” he muttered. “But I shall head out very early in the morning tomorrow, without you.”

Then, Ronn pulled the door closed, just quiet enough as to not wake her up.

2