Interlude 5
38 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Lord Luth had been twiddling with his thumbs, lost in thought, when the Harpy hopped into the cell.

“Hello to my favorite—”

Gah!” the startled Luth exclaimed, jumping back from the Harpy’s sudden appearance. The chains kept him in place, though.

Skarrol glanced at the Demon Lord. “What, did I scare you?”

“Yeah, you did! At least knock or announce yourself before you just tread in like that!”

“Fair point,” Skarrol replied. “But a counterpoint: This isn’t your room, it’s a jail cell. So you can’t really expect privacy.”

“I’m not asking for privacy, just a little heads-up,” the Demon Lord muttered.

“Well, whatever,” Skarrol replied. “Wipe that frown off your face I’ve got you some more stuff!”

This time, the half-Harpy had two plates on the tray he was carrying, both with a wooden pint glass placed atop and a new, unfamiliar pastry. The Demon Lord glanced at the sweetmeat, enjoying the fresh-baked scents from it.

“I appreciate it, but I told you I can’t drink milk,” Luth said, upon seeing the two mugs on the plate.

“Milk? Nah, it’s not milk, you told me already,” Skarrol reassured. “It’s actually cider. Hope you like apple alcohol.”

“Hard cider?” the Demon Lord asked. “I haven’t had a drink in quite some time, especially as I’ve needed to remain sober for the war effort.”

“Well, why not splurge now!” the half-Harpy exclaimed. “Have a drink, it’s not like you have all that many responsibilities! Unless you’re a lightweight...”

“I assure you, I can hold my liquor,” Luth reassured. He picked the mug up, tilting it a little to glance at the amber drink within. There was definitely a faint smell of alcohol wafting off of it, along with a sweet-sour air.

“I don’t even know what apples taste like,” the Demon Lord admitted. “It’s a human-grown fruit, right?”

“Wait, you haven’t tried an apple before? Seriously?” Skarrol asked. “Holy smokes, I should’ve gotten you an apple pie first.”

The Demon Lord shrugged. “A good drink is a good drink, I’m not going to wait for a pie to try it.”

He took a long gulp of the cider, savoring the warming sensation as it flowed down his throat. Luth then let out an audible breath as he placed the mug back down, closing his eyes in delight.

“That’s good,” Luth said. “Unfamiliar, but very good. You said this was made from apples?”

“Fermented apple juice,” Skarrol corrected. “Press ‘em, squeeze ‘em, and leave ‘em to ferment. I think, I haven’t done much in the alcohol business before. But that’s what I remember!”

Luth swished the drink in his cup, then looked at the half that remained.

“If this is how a cider tastes, I’m now curious as to how an apple pie does, too.”

“They taste amazing!” Skarrol said. “Apples are best eaten when they’re almost overripe, they’re crunchiest and sweetest then. But, if you bake them in a pie, it softens them and makes them even sweeter.”

“Now you’re making me wish I had a pie, too,” Lord Luth muttered. He took another swig of the cider, and sighed immediately after.

“That’s the stuff,” he gasped.

“Bet it’s been some time since you’ve drank,” Skarrol said.

“Ever since the halfway point in the war, when things turned out in favor of the Humans, yes. I can’t lead an army if I’m not sober.”

Skarrol’s eyebrow shot up. “Implying that you can’t hold your liquor?”

“Me?” the Demon Lord asked. “No, I sure can. I rarely drink, but if I do, I go all-out. The last time was... oh goodness, I don’t even remember how long ago.”

“Well, I can always swipe some more good drink for you, if you want,” Skarrol said. There was a smirk on his face.

The Demon Lord was not convinced.

“Are you trying to butter me up, is that what it is?” Luth asked.

“Oh, absolutely not,” the half-Harpy replied, scooting away from the Demon Lord. “I would never. In fact, what would I have to gain from bribing the Demon Lord when he is most vulnerable?”

Skarrol’s exaggerated reaction said otherwise.

“...Whatever. As long as you don’t ask for some groundbreaking favor.”

“Well, I have one!” Skarrol said. “Let’s talk about your sis!”

“That counts as one. So, no can do.”

“Oh, c’mon!” the half-Harpy exclaimed. “I was nice enough to share some pastry with you! Just one thing.”

“...Okay,” Luth said, with apprehension. “What even is it you’re so desperate to talk about?”

“Her horns.”

Lord Luth glanced over at Skarrol, with a raised eyebrow.

“Her horns? Why that?”

“Those horns remind me of something... They make me think of a sheep.”

“Sheep?” Lord Luth asked. “It sounds familiar. I’m guessing that’s a Human livestock animal?”

“Yeah, usually shaved for their wool. Prime target for wolves, they’re helpless without a shepherd. Well... that somewhat gives credit to you saying that she’s harmless.”

The Demon Lord looked at Skarrol.

“That’s just a coincidence,” Luth said. “You’re not insinuating anything, are you?”

Skarrol shook his head. “Well, I wasn’t. But now that you mention it, I can’t get it out of my head.”

The two continued chewing on their pastry and sipping on the cider. They didn’t make much conversation after that, and Skarrol had even begun to put his plate back on the tray.

The two were interrupted. The illusion that would always appear whenever Sollar was in danger proceeded to apparate right in front of those two.

“Whoa!” Skarrol exclaimed, jumping up. “What’s happening now?”

“Oh my goodness, please don’t tell me she’s in danger again,” Lord Luth said. His voice was tinged with exhaustion.

The moment the illusion cleared up, the two could immediately see, in clear and broad daylight, the Hero chasing Sollar directly through the streets of New Frontierland..

No!” the Demon Lord roared. “No, no, no! Why is the Hero still going after her?”

“Wait!” the half-Harpy exclaimed. “I think the Hero’s just trying to...”

The words died in Skarrol’s throat the moment he witnessed Ronn slice his broadsword through a wall when swinging it, in an attempt to strike Sollar.

“Sollar, get away! Get away!” Lord Luth yelled, as she turned corners and tried to evade the Hero. “Don’t let him get you!”

That was when Skarrol decided to step in.

“Luth. Luth! Calm down!” he exclaimed, grabbing the Demon Lord by the shoulders.

“Calm down? Calm down? Do you realize what’s happening here? My own sister is being pursued by the most dangerous man on the continent, and you want me to calm down?”

“Let me be completely honest here!” the half-Harpy exclaimed. “Even if the Hero were to capture your sister, I’m willing to vouch for her!”

“What?” the Demon Lord asked. “What do you even mean by that?”

“Vouch for her innocence, of course!” Skarrol exclaimed. “Look, I might not look like it, but I’m technically part of the Hero Party, too! I’m sober all the time, unlike Salkin, and I’m not as greedy as Fraul. That has to count for something, at least?”

Even as Skarrol stood in front of Lord Luth, blocking the Demon Lord from seeing what was happening with Sollar, he could still hear the crashes and sounds of wood splintering.

Lord Luth gave Skarrol a death scare, placed both his arms on the half-Harpy’s shoulders, and pushed him away. And, he continued to watch as Ronn disassembled anything that got between him and the Demonfolk girl he was chasing.

“Just look at the Hero!” Luth exclaimed. “He’s tearing right through buildings to get to Sollar. Do you really think he’s going to treat her gently?”

“Well, uhm...” the half-Harpy murmured. “Ronn can be a bit theatrical, and he doesn’t show much restraint once he’s ready to fight...”

Sollar had jumped into a narrow alleyway. For just a moment, it seemed like the Demonfolk girl had just escaped... before the Hero proceeded to push his way right through the alleyway. The sounds of wood crunching made the Demon Lord flinch.

“Okay, I don’t...” Skarrol said. “Ronn... what in the world are you playing at?”

Sollar scrambled out of the alleyway, looking left and right, before her eyes fell upon a familiar Healer who was outside the alleyway.

“Jun-ar! Nice to meet you!” she exclaimed. It seemed like she was going to raise her arm to wave it at the Healer.

“Sollar! No, run!” the Demon Lord yelled.

Sollar glanced behind to see that Ronn was still right on her tail, and immediately bolted.

Both Skarrol and Lord Luth watched, in anticipation, as Sollar ran into another alleyway. Somewhere along the way, the Healer accompanied the Hero in chasing her down.

To say the least, the chase was nerve-wracking for Lord Luth. It’d seem like Sollar would be safe one moment, until the Hero proceeded to remove the obstructions through copious amounts of property damage.

Sollar had jumped out of the window of another warehouse onto the main street, running right past the Mage and a familiar Demonfolk General who just so happened to be arguing with one another.

Sollar proceeded to yell, “Forr-ar! We need to run!

“General Forge is here too! Why in the world is he doing, he and Sollar need to get out!” the Demon Lord yelled.

“Hey, and that’s Fraul, too!” Skarrol pointed out.

“Fraul? The Mage?” the Demon Lord asked. “Even she’s chasing Sollar, too?”

“I doubt it,” the half-Harpy replied. “Looks like she was gonna fight General Forge!”

Whatever plans they might’ve had were abruptly halted when the Hero crashed his way through the doors of the warehouse that Sollar had just emerged from.

Lord Luth gripped his hands tight, watching as General Forge and Sollar fled down another street, only to hide in such a manner that allowed Ronn to bypass them without being noticed.

Only for them to be noticed by the Healer, in question.

Not a single word was exchanged between Luth and Skarrol as they watched the scuffle between the pair play out. Junil fired endless stinging spells at General Forge, who took a few shots like the champion he was... until a spell landed right on the General’s eyes.

Even that was enough to cause Lord Luth to wince.

Sollar had tackled Junil, before General Forge pulled her away. They were noticed by Ronn again, and they immediately bolted.

“They’re back to where they started!” the Demon Lord yelled. “The Hero’s still chasing them!”

Evidently, General Forge knew this too. The moment he was out on the main street again, he glanced left and right. As if on cue, a particular wagon on the street entered the vision of the illusion right as General Forge saw it.

“Don’t tell me—!” Luth started.

“They’re going to use the wagon!” Skarrol exclaimed, finishing Luth’s sentence.

The two hopped onto the wagon, at General Forge’s command. However, they couldn’t get on quick enough; the Hero ran up fast enough to hit the wagon with his shoulder, which actually gave them a head start!

Luth’s heart jumped into his throat as he witnessed Ronn’s sword almost slice the wagon in half, mere moments later. The Hero did not cease his attack, raising his broadsword again.

Lord Luth shielded his eyes seconds before Ronn brought the blade down. He flinched upon hearing the sound of metal-on-metal.

“She parried it!” Skarrol yelled.

The Demon Lord peeked open one eye, to see that Sollar had indeed blocked the Hero’s strike. And Ronn didn’t get another chance to strike again, as the wagon picked up speed down the streets.

“They’re... they’re safe, right?” Lord Luth asked.

However, he just noticed the direction the wagon was rolling: Right in the direction of the dockyards. And the wagon was showing no signs of slowing.

“Jump! Jump out! General Forge, you nitwit!” the Demon Lord exclaimed.

However, it wasn’t General Forge who was going to save them. Rather, Sollar was the one who took the initiative.

Sollar had grabbed General Forge and jumped from the wagon onto the pier, holding onto the Demonfolk General. The wagon itself crashed into several crates on the pier. Potions and bars of metal scattered everywhere.

Mere moments later, as Sollar got up from where she fell, along with General Forge, the pair bolted directly to the docks.

“They’re headed to the fast boats!” Skarrol said. “I think they’ve outrun him!”

Lord Luth held his breath, waiting for the Hero to somehow appear around the next corner that Sollar might turn around on. But that didn’t happen; the illusion... simply dissolved away.

“I don’t believe it...” Luth muttered. “They somehow escaped...!”

“Yep,” the half-Harpy replied. “Seems they’re getting onto the fast ships. Be happy, Luth, she’s on her way to see you—”

“How can I be happy when I don’t want her to even visit me? For her own safety?” the Demon Lord asked.

“I mean, she’s putting all this effort to just meet you! Honestly? I’m worried for Fraul, if anything.”

“And yet you’re worried about the Mage when Sollar almost—”

“General Forge is with her, so she should be safe!” Skarrol exclaimed.

Lord Luth sighed.

“Okay. I’ll take that. But what’s with you and thinking the Mage is gonna be in some trouble?”

“From the way things were looking, she seemed to be running an operation of sorts...”

The half-Harpy glanced at the Demon Lord.

“You don’t mind if I change the subject, right?”

“None at all,” Lord Luth said. “I just... let’s talk about something else to get my mind off of Sollar. I’m sure she’ll be safe, but...”

Skarrol clapped his hands together, interrupting Luth’s line of thought. A few feathers shed from his arms.

“Okay!” Skarrol said. “No more talking about Sollar. Let’s talk about the Mage, I think you should get the gist of her!”

“...That she’s a terrifying magic user?” the Demon Lord asked.

“Well, not that! Uh... It’s true, but she’s also greedy. A money-grubber. Think something like that, she’s ambitious and knows how to make money. That’s why she’s part of the Hero Party!”

“Is that a good thing?”

“Money makes the world go around, and money is what won the war against you guys. Goodness, you’re the Demon Lord and you’re not aware of this concept?”

Luth took a moment to recollect himself, before replying.

“We knew Humans tended to be materialistic,” Luth muttered. “But to this extent? That’s not something I could’ve ever foreseen.”

“And that’s why you lost the war,” Skarrol jutted in. “Because you didn’t know you could literally bribe Humanity.”

“...The war was lost for a multitude of reasons, you bird-brain. I don’t think bribing a few officials from the Humans onto our side would have done much.”

Skarrol then held a finger up to interrupt Lord Luth.

“Oh, but that’s where you’re wrong!” he exclaimed. “We’ve had two banking crises where a bunch of bank failures wiped out tons of money! If you had the right intel and funds at the time, you probably could’ve just bought out all the land that Humanity had claimed on the continent, and taken full possession of the territories without shedding any more blood!”

“You’re speaking in hindsight, and anyway, I don’t think the Humans would’ve given it up without a fight. Whatever... not sure why I’m arguing with you, you’re just a Harpy, after all.”

1