Chapter 3
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I Don't think placing stones over dirt roads will help gain back favor with Ahura-ilah. She doesn't walk the ground like her prophet." - Excerpt from "EL-Kazatsz," An oral Story passed down in the ill clan of the southern mountains, consisting of mostly white wolves.

 

 

The sun was cut in half when they reached Grand Captain Altair. A stark reddish orange half circle on the dim horizon, casting everything in a garish orange light. Drack looked at the setting sun with reverence. He knew it was the last beautiful thing he’d see that day as common and mundane as a setting sun was.

 

Grand Captain Altair’s parasol was placed by a tree, a twisted old tree bent to the side, and smelling of dirt, dead leaves, and liquor? Altair sat underneath the parasol along with Limlic, both were drinking and gambling as always. The two were tight to say to the least. Drack wasn’t sure if it was a genuine connection or one garnered out of their shared addiction for gambling, and many other unsavory things. 

 

The Grand Captain was the first one to speak when he saw them approaching. “Why if it isn’t Captain Drack. Finally come to join the fun, have you?!” One eyebrow raised slightly when he saw Arnfried. “Even brought your little friend to attend to your needs while you indulge. Why haven’t I thought of that before? I swear I grow more and more senile every single day.”

“It's probably the drink.” Drack said. 

“Of course, the drink. I swear, your one funny lad.” The grand Captain laughed as if it was the funniest thing he’d ever heard. He pulled up a chair from the side. “Sit, sit, Captain.” 

“Actually I have something I need to talk to you about.” 

The captain paused, some of the playfulness leaving his eyes. He knew he wouldn’t like what Drack would say next. 

“Arnfried wanted to-” Drack looked to both sides but the boy wasn’t there. He spun on his feet and found him standing directly behind him. Drack nearly spat out a curse.

What am I, your fucking father to hide behind and cower? If you're gonna do something, put your all into it! 

Drack breathed in slowly. “Arnfried wanted to suggest something to you captain.” He said, gently pulling the boy to his side. Drack glanced at Arnfried, queuing for him to speak, but only three seconds of silence ensued, he wouldn’t even meet the grand captain’s eyes.  

Altair approached and placed his hand on the younger boy’s shoulder. “You don’t have to be embarrassed, Arnfried.” the Grand Captain said. “What is it you need? New clothes, boots, new undergarments, or maybe is it something extra to eat before we begin our hard work, or maybe you’ve got some pent up frustration and need a whor-” 

“It's about our work.” Drack cut in firmly. He paused. “Arnfied was hoping it wouldn’t have to be so bloody this time around.”

Grand Captain Altair removed his hand from the younger boy's shoulder as if he’d accidentally touched something unsavory, like shit. All the humor was gone from him now.

 “I know the work we do is dark.” The Grand Captain said in a serious voice. “But it's a necessary evil in order to pass down the King’s supreme justice. Ahura-illah herself knows what that's like, she practically neutered us, took our divinity and radiance away in ancient times but it was necessary, as evil as it was. Think of what we do as the same as that.” 

That would have placated some, unfortunately Arnfried wasn’t so religious, or that devoted to the king for that matter. Arnfried knew what it was like to be on the receiving end of the King’s so-called “justice.” But Arnfried didn’t know that the King’s justice was worth less than a pile of shit on the side of the road to the Grand Captain. So the boy’s next words didn’t surprise Drack. 

 

“Grand Captain sir.” Arnfried finally said timidly. “I know you’re a man dedicated to the king’s justice, but it doesn’t have to be this way. You could send messengers to demand those villagers to give up any recent fugitives, and if needed, some resources for our journey.” 

 

Warn them? Arnfried thought astonished. So many objections that could possibly spew from the Grand Captain’s mouth flashed in his mind. ‘Warn them so they can prepare against us?’ ‘Send messengers that they can hold hostage against us?’ were among the many. But none exited the Grand Captain’s mouth, instead he smiled a smile that twisted the jagged scar on his face and didn’t quite reach his green eyes. 

 

“If I do this, Arnfried, and it fails and those villagers don’t give up anything.” The Grand Captain said. “You won’t ever speak of this to me again, and I hope your conscience won’t be pricking our arse holes for the rest of our journey afterwards. Do I stand reasonable?” 

 

Arnfried nodded eagerly. As far as he was concerned, everything would work out just fine. The grand captain nodded back, his jet black hair rustling and glistening under the setting sun’s radiance.

 

“Since you two brought it up, you’ll be the messengers.” The Grand Captain said, returning to his seat. “You have two hours to convince them.”

 Drack wanted to object but Arnfried shushed him. He probably thought nothing would go amiss if they were the ones to do it. 

“Oh, and good luck Captain Drack.” Altair said, returning to his card game with Limlic. “But I suppose it's a given for you, isn’t it.” 

When they reached the small hill overlooking the tiny village, Aoife with her blank blue eyes was there, staring down at Kearth like it was already burning. “Where are you two boys going?” She asked. “And what are you grinning about, Lanky?”

Lanky was the nickname she gave Arnfried. “I managed to convince the Captain.” Arnfried practically beamed. Drack almost smiled at that. 

“Convinced? You practically couldn’t talk in the presence of the Grand Captain.” Drack teased.

“I did talk in the end.” he stammered. “And he did listen to me.” 

Draclk shrugged, not wanting to argue or embarrass the boy. “We're wasting precious time.”

“Right. Let's go.”

Surprisingly, Aoife followed behind. The two boys turned to look at her with raised eyebrows. 

“I’m tagging along. The Grand Captain didn’t say more people couldn’t tag along, did he?” 

Arnfried shook his head, and Drack didn’t care if she came either way. He just tried not to think too hard about what was about to happen next.

1