3. Chase
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ahead of me is the open street, but the alleyways on either side are my turf. I know my way around them like the back of my hand, so taking my chances with them is my best bet. I abide by only a handful of mottos and I'm about to add another one to the list. If I'm in deep shit, and I see a way out, I'm taking it. 

“That’s it. Steady. Now get on your knees,” the Veteran officer ordered as I heard his footsteps begin to head in my direction. 

Knowing that being compliant was best to defuse most situations I followed his orders. Keeping tabs as the officer cautiously crept closer, buying me a few moments to think.

Slowly falling onto my knees, I quickly cupped my hands into a dirty pool of water and threw it into the eyes of the closest officer behind me. Catching them all off guard, I ran straight towards the nearest alleyway entrance on my right. I Slid my way through the gunk and water slicked pavement before climbing over the locked alleyway gate. After falling onto the other side I got myself back on my feet and began sprinting through the protective shadows of the city.

My head start won’t last forever.

As the space between us grew, I could hear their distant yell’s behind me. Warning me that I was making a big mistake, but I Ignored them. I have big dreams for the future, If I’m caught a whole lot of problems would head my way. More than I’m willing to chew.

Running through the alleyway Is a no brainer, the sight and smell of it would dishearten any would be chaser. Rotting garbage littered everywhere from overturned garbage bins, giving off the rotting odor of food and human waste. Collapsed fire escapes long unrepaired lay aground, creating natural obstacles to delay anyone who trekked through these areas.

A hindrance for anyone but me that is. I know these backways like the back of my hand.

Quickly weaving my way through the brick stained pathways, I decided to take a few random corners in case anyone had managed to follow me. You can’t make your destination obvious. One of the many lessons Rob taught me. Taking heed of his advice in these situations, I began climbing another alleyway gate. 

Crossing an empty street, I heard an unexpected puddle splash behind me, causing me to gasp as I turned around. I glared down the alleyway I had just exited from for a few seconds. I shook my head, bewildered at the thought that someone like them could have caught up. Any normal person would have great difficulty traversing the maze of an alleyway, even if they did, nobody knew the shortest routes better than me. 

“The rain is making me hear things” I whispered.

As I continued once again, another set of feet joined mine. It came out of nowhere, muffled by the ceaseless downpour no doubt. At first I thought I was imagining it. So I decided, more or less on a whim, to look behind me. 

The sharp sound of a switch being flipped caught me off guard as a flashlight shined right at me. Just my luck. Now with me in sight It would be that much harder to get away.

“My God, who have you been training with? Usain Bolt?” I gasped.

“Haha, thanks for the compliment kid! You’re not bad yourself, took me a while to catch up, you aren’t going to get far from me now!” My pursuer yelled back. It was a feminine voice, my guess is that female cop with the note pad. Didn’t find her as the athlete of the bunch.

Damn, What is up with my luck today? I need to change tactics. Looking ahead I saw a fork in the alleyway, normally I would choose the route with less obstacles in the way for speed. Though with this Woman slowly catching up to me with every step that's no longer an option. 

“Kid made a right towards Manor Court, with his speed he’ll be at the street in a few minutes.”

Hearing her telling the other cops in her team reminded me of mine. Leaping over crates and ducking beneath hanging laundry lines, I brought my walkie-talkie to my mouth. Gasping in between words, I spoke. “Rob! Rob! Can you hear me!?”

The sound of muffled static was all I heard before a recognizable voice responded. “Ah, Rowan! Dolion told me yer in’a bit of a pickle.” Rob answered, sounding amused.

I quickly climbed over an alleyway gate before crossing another empty street. I again brought up my walkie-talkie. “This isn’t time for games Rob! Find a way to get me out of here, if not you’ll be in an even bigger one when I’m caught!” I yelled. 

“No, I'm not.” Rob said, nonchalantly. “If you know what's good for ye, ye won’t say nothin. Plus, ye made ye good chance to take what I teach ye to the test.”

Reaching the other side of the street, I passed through another alleyway gate, this time it was open. I quickly turned and locked it in place with a half rotted plank of wood that was on the floor. Just in case I also turned over a nearby dumpster with its half filled garbage spilling across the pathway. 

Running once again, I spoke in between breaths with fury. “Rob you bastard, helping me out here is the least you can do! Even after all those jobs I helped you out with in the past?!

It was dead silent on the other end. An unspoken answer was all I got, ‘Try me and find out’. I hate how he always makes a lesson in every horrible situation. Really takes the issue out of the equation…

My feet began to speed up, now with a determined purpose to make it out. But even with my newfound determination my chest burned. I knew I was at the end of the rope. I ran in silence, thinking. Sadly the little breathing room I made for myself was at its end, as I heard the dreaded sound of her footsteps catching up.

“You almost got me kid! But you better stop now, we’ll let you off easy with a teeny weeny charge! All you gotta do is tell us some names and you’ll be Scott free!” She said, giggling.

Ignoring her I picked up my pace, throwing everything I have left in the tank into full throttle. This is my last chance. If I can just make a little more space I’ll climb up to the roof of a nearby building before she can even catch up. But first, I'll have to cross this last street. If I can stall her once I can do it again at the next alleyway gate.

Rain poured down relentlessly as I sprinted across the steep, slick hillside street, my heart pounding with adrenaline. Legs, slightly shaking with fatigue. I knew the night was about to end. In my favor, I hoped.

“Wait! Stop! STOP!” She screamed.

I was already halfway across when she started screaming. Confused, I looked back at her. Her waving hands desperately trying to grab my attention, she then pointed up the street, towards the fog covered top. Looking up, dread seeped through my very core. I heard it before I saw it, the screeching sound of an oncoming vehicle's brakes doing everything it could to slow down. The police car emerged from the fog, right out of a horror film, as if it were just spat out. 

The wet street did nothing to help my situation. Only further speeding the process of my impending doom. I slowly watched as the police car slid right towards me at a speed that I knew would cause fatal damage. 

“I'm not going to walk out of this in one piece, am I?” I whispered, defeated.

I could do nothing, my legs had no strength, they were spent from all that running. I was frozen in fear. It consumed everything, forcing me to watch my end. I shut my eyes, my final defiance as I raised my arms to cover my face. My heart was up to my ears, sound consuming my very consciousness to a point that I was yelling. The car Engine roared as it slid toward me at an unavoidable speed. It was loud, too loud. Before I knew It a bright white light flashed through my eyelids causing me to flinch. A quick jerk. 

Then Nothing.

Silence.

Dead silence.

 

0