Chapter 18: The Dawn of Ruin
656 11 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Day 2]

Shizuka always dreaded the sound of her morning alarm since it signified the end of her rest. But today she woke up with her head spinning. The sunlight pouring through the window blasted her senses with irritation.

She grumbled and covered her eyes until her sensitivity to light returned to normal. As an occasional drinker and a student in the medical field, she was very familiar with the nasty effects of hangovers.

“Round and round…” she placed a hand on her forehead. “Just how much did I drink?”

Her memories of last night were like a fragmented mosaic, with only bits and pieces coming into focus.

Blinking away the dizziness, she squinted at the clock, its bright numbers showing 7:15.

‘I have to prepare breakfast for Aa-kun!’

Throwing every thought about the last night out of her mind, she tossed her blanket aside and hopped out of the bed. Looking into the mirror, she extended her arms, relishing the satisfying stretch.

“Nghhhh… I don’t feel tired today.”

Usually, the hangovers left her with a lingering sense of nausea and a heavy fatigue that weighed her down. As a result, she had carefully set aside her weekends for indulging in alcohol consumption. However, to her surprise, the effects dissipated swiftly today, leaving her feeling strangely refreshed and unexpectedly light.

As she reached for the door, a glimpse of someone in the mirror caught her eye, causing her to freeze. Slowly, she turned around and blinked her eyes, taking in the view before her. Her dear brother, unconcerned and relaxed, slept soundly on her bed, his chiseled body on display in nothing but underwear.

‘W-What is Aa-kun doing in my bed?’

A memory of last night resurfaced — of her savoring a delicious cocktail at one of the finest restaurants in the city.

“Ah…”

Gradually, her memories started to resurface, dissipating the haze in her mind. Yesterday’s evening was far from her usual. It all began with Asahi’s decision to take her out for a meal in celebration of the ‘Onee-san Appreciation Wednesday’. They weren't alone at dinner; two young ladies from the Busujima Family were also in their company.

The night unfolded in a way that exceeded all her expectations, making it one of the most incredible experiences she had ever had. Asahi paying the hefty bill for everyone, and then accompanying her as a drinking partner for the first time only added to the specialness.

She had vehemently told him to not drink, but he ignored her and ended up totally drunk.

‘He just wanted to make me happy. Aa-kun is so mature now…’

She almost let out tears of joy. Pumping her fists, she felt more motivated than ever to support him in every way possible.

Another ring of her alarm clock brought her back to reality.

“Aa-kun, it’s time to wake up.”

She hesitated for a moment, her hand hovering near Asahi’s face. His faint smile made it difficult for her to break him out of his pleasant dreams. Since he had his first taste of alcohol, in the form of bear cans, she chose to let him sleep in today.

Today, an unplanned holiday would benefit not only his physical well-being but also his mental health.

***

Meanwhile, Asahi’s current dreamscape resembled the lush forest Klyscha created during their first meeting.

This serene environment was disturbed by repeated echoing thuds. The young man, who aimed to ascend to godhood for his goddess wife, chopped down strips of wood, wearing nothing but Berserk-themed shorts. The cut wood was magically replaced by the goddess before him, allowing him to focus on refining the swings of his ax.

Every swing felt sharper and more confident than the last.

After a few hundred more swings, the system’s notification crystalized his skill enhancement into a game-like screen.

[Requirements fulfilled… You have raised the mastery of the Passive Skill ‘Basic One-handed Weapon Mastery’ to A.]

[Basic One-handed Weapon Mastery (Common) (Passive): The user has nearly reached the mortal limits of wielding one-handed weapons such as swords, axes, daggers etc.

Passive Effect: Grants +12 Dexterity, +12 Strength, and 6% chance to deal double damage when using weapons classified for one-handed use.

Skill Mastery: A]

[Basic Polearm Mastery (Common) (Passive): The user has nearly reached the mortal limits of wielding a polearm.

Passive Effect: Grants +18 Dexterity and 35% increase in movement speed when using polearm-class weapons.

Skill Mastery: A]

“Finally!”

Both the ‘Basic One-handed Mastery’ and ‘Polearm Mastery’ skills had reached the mastery rank of A. After they reached the mastery rank of S, he could upgrade them to Intermediate Weapon Mastery, enhancing their effects to a completely different level.

Since the skills would evolve from Common to Rare, the free attributes would increase — the main reason for his obsession with the mastery skills.

Klyscha clapped her hands, and a gentle breeze swept through, carrying away every droplet of accumulated sweat from his figure. “Ahem, it’s my fault you didn’t make them S-rank today. I hoarded much of your night…”

She seemed both embarrassed and apologetic for jumping him the moment he reached here, with the passion of a nymph. This time she had relied on high-level potions and such to enhance her sexual stamina. The goddess could create anything in the Dreamscape, but her High Human physique had its limits.

She put up a great fight but couldn’t last longer than an hour and thirty minutes.

Asahi threw the ax through the forest and stretched his arms, feeling the satisfying pull in his muscles. “It’s fine. I also had a lot of fun repaying you with my body.”

Klyscha giggled. “I will save the potions for special nights. Using them everyday will ruin us…”

“Mhmm.” He nodded in agreement, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. “By the way, what time is it out there?”

Klyscha summoned her laptop and looked through the live footage of Asahi’s room. Her eyes widened in shock. “Oh no! It’s almost nine!”

“Fuck! Send me out!”

Klyscha shut down her laptop and gently flicked his forehead. Suddenly, he found himself plunging into a dark ocean. The sensation of weightlessness enveloped him as he fell, his senses disoriented by the rapidly shifting gravity. Eventually, he emerged from the ocean, hurtling towards the sky. Just as his back hit the clouds, darkness consumed everything around him.

After a surreal experience, he woke up back in reality, lying comfortably on Shizuka’s bed.

He sat up on the bed and took a deep breath. “Klyscha, what was that?”

(My love, the spiritual transition was necessary to sync your senses with your body. We probably won’t need that again, unless you want to return to reality from Dreamscape in a hurry.)

‘It’s better I don’t go through it again.’

He shrugged and got out of the bed. After stretching his muscles for a few moments, he speedran the preparations for the school and hiked a cab to the Fujimi Academy. He got off and paid an extra tip to the middle-aged driver.

“Don’t hoard it, okay?”

The cash would become a pile of papers in a few hours, only useful as fuel for fire.

The middle-aged driver gave him a confused look. “Thanks, I’ll spend it on my kid’s school fees.”

Asahi nodded at the driver while feeling a tinge of guilt. “Alright, see ya around.”

He shook off the remorse and swiftly turned on his heels to confront the towering gate that barred his path to the academy.

‘I don’t see any guards here. Did it start already?’

(I think so.)

Asahi broke into a sprint and propelled himself into the air. His hands gripped the rough surface of the ledge as he hauled himself up and over, landing nimbly on the other side. Despite his inexperience, his strong body made him one of the fittest athletes on the planet.

“IYAAAN!!!”

The rush of triumph was short-lived as a bone-chilling shriek pierced through the air, reverberating through the school grounds.

He let loose a fearless smirk. “It’s finally here!”

The apocalypse had dawned on the world.

40