53. Threads of Love and Convictions.
307 0 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Nakagami's POV

"Father!"

"At least, hear me out."

Father doesn't even want to talk properly. He didn't even consider it once when I talked about cooperating with Satanael. He's just too stubborn, and like the rest of the Five Principal Clans, doesn't like the other mythologies.

"No! Are you even listening to yourself? Seeking help from those crows is unacceptable!"

"Do you know how the other Clans would react if they came to know about this?"

"They would mock us!"

"But this might be our only chance to find a solution for Momiji-chan."

"There's no other choice. She will just remain in the Dome," said Father.

"But."

"No buts. We are done talking. Leave! I am busy as it is."

"And do not make the same mistake of being in cahoots with those crows again," said Father as he left.

I was left behind in the room to think alone for myself.

"If he doesn't agree, I might have to take some drastic measures!" (mumbling)

"Umm. Nii-san, is everything okay?"

After a while, I heard someone's voice and turned back.

"Ryuuta? Yeah. Everything's okay."

"But there was so much shouting that I could hear it from the outside."

"Don't worry. It happens sometimes," I replied.

"How have you been?" I asked.

"Fine."

"Have you met Momiji-chan recently by any chance?" I asked.

"Nn."

"How is she doing?"

"Bored. She was also complaining about you not meeting her for a while."

"I was busy. Take care of her and try to give her some time."

"Nn."

"Good. Don't you also have lessons to attend to?" I asked.

"Ugh!" but Ryuuta just made a painful expression.

"Relax. Even I also didn't like attending those when I was your age. But it gets better with time," I replied as I gently patted his head.

"Nn."

"Now go."

After he left, I was left alone to think for myself again. This might be one of my biggest mistakes... Or the wisest choices.

*
*
*

Kouske's POV

I was sitting leisurely on the couch as I watched TV when the doorbell suddenly rang. Sakuya opened the door to find the old Granny next door.

"Hello," says Sakuya.

"Hello. How are you, sweety?" asks the Granny.

"I am been fine. Thank you."

They were having a bit of a conversation. Then Sakuya invited her in.

"Granny, how have you been? Sit here, please," I asked her, beckoning her to sit on the sofa.

"As fine as these old bones can be, dear," she laughs a bit.

"How thoughtful of you. Here, have these cookies," says the Granny.

Apparently, she had freshly baked cookies and pies and came to give us some. So, Sakuya invited her in to have a meal with us.

"Thanks. It's delicious," I say as I bite into one.

She brought Rurune with her. This dog is highly intelligent and strange. I mean, I never saw such a unique breed of dog. It has red patterns all over its body. Though, it could just be me who hasn't seen such a breed before.

But I still used Observe on it previously. The revelation was not something I had expected.

She's a seven-year-old Cerberus. But she always acts like a normal dog and plays with us. Well, she's still just a child. But for some reason, she's really attached to me and Rin. Even now, she's sleeping on my lap.

"Well, obviously she's a Cerberus. Did you not feel her magic?" says Vritra as if I were an idiot and starts giving me info on Cerberuses.

"Granny!" Lavinia comes in and hugs her.

Lavinia has been close with this Granny as she lives just right in front of us.

"Oh, Lavinia-chan. You should not jump so hard on me. These old bones might not be able to handle it someday. Ha ha ha," says Granny as she laughs it off.

"Sorry..." replies Lavinia meekly.

"Don't worry, sweety. It's okay. Just be more mindful of my age next time," says Granny as she hugs her back.

"Nn."

Sakuya brings in the sliced pieces of pie on small plates and serves it all to us.

The pie was delicious. Lavinia is playing with Rurune while Granny forced her way into the kitchen to help Sakuya, even though she had told her to rest.

I got a message from Yama-san, the leader of the gangsters, saying he remembered someone from Italy who had reacted to the device when they were searching for Lavinia and even confirmed that person's current status.

It's been a full year since Lavinia moved in. I guess she could also visit her parents' house. I had already solved all the problems and paperwork regarding her properties in Italy and her citizenship in Japan. Same for Sakuya. We could all go on a family tour in Italy.

After that, I had lunch with everyone. We had Donburi. A hot bowl of rice with gyudon (beef) and tempura as toppings is always appreciated. But it is a bit too rich to have it every day.

I left to meet Yama-san as everyone else was chatting with each other.

*
*
*

Rangiku's POV

I have been noticing for quite a few days that Cleria has been more and more absent-minded after her meeting with Akatsuki. She would occasionally blank out and stare into the air for nothing, wasting her time like that. We would have to call her multiple times to get her attention. But it looks like she herself hasn't fully comprehended her situation yet.

So, I brought her out to a park for a change, to have a heart-to-heart conversation. As her Queen, it's my job to get her back on track so that the others do not panic.

"So, what was the reason you forced me to come here so suddenly? I still have so much paperwork to complete, you know," says a slightly angry Cleria.

"Relax a bit, will you? You will get sick if you work all day."

"Ughh.."

"It's great weather, right? Try to enjoy it."

I say as today was particularly a good day. The clouds were clear and the winter wind was calm, creating a harmonious environment.

I could see children playing in the distance as their mothers were standing close to them. Mothers, huh? Suddenly, I myself felt a bit sad, and a few droplets of tears fell from the corner of one of my eyes.

"What happened?" Cleria asked, clearly concerned, but I laughed it off.

"Nothing. I am fine. We are here to talk about you, not me," I replied.

"About me? What exactly?" Cleria asked incredulously.

"Do you think it would escape my eyes?" I said with a slight grin.

"What exactly are you on about?" Cleria says, clearly confused.

*sigh*

It looks like this naive friend of mine is really stupid and too innocent for her own good.

"Cleria, you have obviously been acting strange for a while. Have you no self-awareness at all?"

"Strange? How?!"

"You seem to be so absorbed in thinking sometimes. What goes on in that head of yours?"

At my question, her face turns a hint of red as she thinks of something.

"Nothing. I was probably just tired."

"See, even your face is red. And being tired is all the more reason you should take more rest," I said as if rectifying her with a slight hint of anger.

This girl just works too hard. Maybe it runs in the family.

"Uggh.."

"You know, your strange behavior has been more apparent since you met with Akatsuki."

"What?! W-why are you suddenly bringing him into this?" she says with an apparent blush on her face.

"You might have been very calm and collected while speaking with him, but your nervousness was apparent to us, you know. We have known you for decades. Maybe only the kids couldn't tell."

"Well, sometimes, meeting someone for the first time... second time can be quite nerve-wracking, especially if that someone is as powerful as him," she says, trying to deflect the question.

"No, girl. You were just crushing on him. He's handsome and powerful on top of that. And female devils are attracted to power. So it's not that strange to have a little crush on him when he even saved our lives."

I laid it all out for her; otherwise, this overly innocent girl might not even understand it herself and just keep denying it, thus hurting herself.

I sometimes wonder if she was actually meant to be a nun but was accidentally born as a devil. Maybe she would have had an innocent love story going on with a priest or even an exorcist. I laugh a bit at my own thoughts.

Hearing my words made her face a deeper shade of red, as I could literally see steam coming out of her head.

"N-no. W-What are you even saying? That's impossible?"

She says while stuttering a bit, but was the last sentence asked to me or herself? I wonder.

"Why is it impossible? Just admit that you have a crush on him. Does your heart beat faster when you think of him? Does your head get hazy and full of spring? Does your face warm up when you think of him? Do you enjoy thinking about him?...." I kept urging her, as I know things like this should be said upfront with someone like her.

"I-I-I..." suddenly she falls on top of me.

Oh, she malfunctioned. Well, let's try again when she wakes up. I gently stroke her head as I look at the children playing, with a smile on my face. Having your own children and family... sounds nice.

*
*
*

Serafall's POV

"Hnnggh!"

I stretch my arms upward to ease my muscles. It's really bad news doing paperwork nonstop. I never signed up for this!

*sigh*

I let out a long sigh as I recall the past few times I have met So-tan's new friends, especially Kouske. He's suspicious. But I didn't feel any ill intention towards So-tan. However, he is definitely hiding something.

His mana level was unusually high for a human child. He was trying to hide it, but I could gauge his power. At first, I thought he might have been an adult magician faking his age. Upon investigation, he came clean about everything except for his mother's full identity. However, he acts unusually mature for his age. Is he perhaps a reincarnation of someone? Otherwise, how could we explain his unusually high power? Or is he just that talented?

There have been many cases where heroes of the past have reincarnated with all or partial memories of themselves from before. I will have to keep a watch on him to find out if he's dangerous for So-tan or not. If he's not, then he could become a valuable asset for So-tan. But if he's dangerous... I will personally eliminate him.

I unintentionally let my power run amok. The sudden spike creates cracks in the room.

*knock* *knock*

The sudden knocking brings me out of my thought process.

"Come in!" I say.

A uniform-clad girl with pink hair enters with a report, but from the look on her face, she is very nervous.

"What is it?" I say, trying to ease her, but I have a bad feeling about this report.

"Leviathan-sama, one of the heirs tried to kidnap an extinct sea creature from God Poseidon's territory, and he is furious. He has held the heir as a prisoner," says the girl nervously.

Just hearing that brings my mood down as my eyebrows twitch in anger. Can't these entitled heirs control themselves for a damn second?!

"Who?" I ask as I feel a headache coming later on.

"U-uh! It's Gragg Forneus from the Forneus Clan," she replies.

That damn troublemaker! It's not even the first time he has caused problems. Maybe I should let him stay in Poseidon's prison for a bit. It would serve as a reminder. And how did he come up with the brilliant idea of trying to steal from Poseidon with his meager power?!

"U-um, Leviathan-sama?"

"What?"

"There's going to be a meeting with the elders of the council. You also need to be there," she says meekly.

*sigh*

"Fine. I will be there."

*
*
*

The meeting was a disaster! How could those old coots even suggest we ask Poseidon to reimburse us when we were the ones who infiltrated his territory to steal?

*sigh*

These fools! They really like to stay behind and just act all high. I bet none of them would even be able to speak up in front of Poseidon.

*sigh*

I sigh for the umpteenth time. I hate being in charge of Foreign Affairs. I will have to deal with Poseidon properly so that it doesn't lead to any more trouble.

Damn, that fish-like monster! He should be banned from going to the sea! Last time, he tried to take over the oceanic territory of a minor God, proclaiming himself to be a pirate!

*sigh*

This won't end so easily. I also don't like interacting with that old pervert!

"I want to see my So-tan!" I say this as (imaginary) tears fall from my eyes.

[Author's Note: What did you think of the chapter? Feel free to share your thoughts (COMMENTS), and leave a REVIEW. Add it to your favourites if you enjoyed it. I'm open to constructive critiques that help me improve and grow as a writer, so don't hesitate to provide feedback. Thank you for reading!

Give me your opinions so that I can write better!

Unlock Exclusive Content Early! Join my Patreon for just $2 or $5 to read 7 or 15 advanced chapters, respectively!
https://[email protected]/Sol_Pendragon
Change @ to a]

11