45. La Papesse, Le Pape.
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Caterina decision...

"Abjure? Sister Bellini, I'm not sure if I'm the right one..." Robben, despite holding the title of Guardian obtained with excellence and in high regard, felt, in a way, morally inferior in terms of ranks compared to the members of The Sword of Faith, especially those from Serenia, the cradle of the Brotherhood.

"Guardian Robben. If I didn't believe you have the authority, I wouldn't be asking for assistance in such an important matter," Caterina spoke with contained emotions, her convictions had conflicted, but her rational mind led her to act according to the conclusion that seemed most correct.

Robben took a long breath. In the past few days, his temperament and decision-making ability had been constantly put to the test. Like Caterina, he was in an internal conflict, but for other reasons.

"Sister Bellini, even assuming I have the authority... I find it to be too drastic a decision..."

"Believe me, Guardian, I have pondered enough about the implications. Taking into account the highest number of variables and the gravity of the situation, my decision is made."

Robben's personal office, where both—so far—religious individuals were chatting, was small and austere but elegant.

Four days had passed since the confrontation between the mage and the demon, and there was still no news from Valtoria. Caterina had decided to wait before resuming communication with Serenia; she now didn't know who she could trust or not, which left her in a very complicated situation.

"If that's your final decision, Sister... I must fulfill my role as Chief Guardian in Lilystone. However, by protocol... And also as a personal concern, I would like to know your reasons. Your 'true' reasons."

"What do you think about mages, Guardian?"

"Hm? I am convinced that to Sanctum they are as worthy children as any other."

"Do you know that among our tasks is to pursue them, as they are agents of false gods and heresy?" Bellini's question was rhetorical. Robben was known for his erudition in sacred texts as well as his broad general culture.

"And I can only trust in the discernment of The Sword to differentiate between a mage doing good and one doing evil, Sister... Just like with any other human being, even if they are one of ours, of the Brotherhood."

"Did you express that opinion before swearing as a Guardian?"

"Of course."

"And was it well received?"

"At least not the last part," said the priest, unable to contain a smile.

"Then? Don't you believe in the precepts of the Brotherhood?"

"There is no passage in the history of Emeric where good is distinguished from evil according to magic or religious institution. If I am a Guardian of the Faith, it's because the great council deemed me capable of being one, and believe me, I'm grateful for it. But my duty is to all the children of Sanctum, including mages or non-believers, before any institution."

"Even before the Brotherhood?"

"I said 'any institution.'"

"That could be considered rebellion and insubordination... You could be accused of being a false prophet."

"I suppose that for a priest in a tiny village, within a strategic ally like Nova Orda, the council didn't find it so serious," The Guardian Robben said the latter with a hint of mockery in his tone, putting a cigarette between his smiling lips.

"You are similar to that mage," observed Caterina, who had seen Tori arguing with the witch from her moss bed in the forest.

"Hm? Perhaps the young vagabond is similar to me, Sister Bellini, let's be respectful to the elderly," Robben indeed had certain similarities with Tori, which became even more noticeable to Caterina as she observed the playful expression of the Guardian after his last comment.

"In your training as a Guardian... No, within the vast amount of knowledge about Sanctum and Emeric that you possess... Is Sanctum a god who demands sacrifices?"

"I suppose you're not referring to tending to the Temple or providing spiritual support."

"Human sacrifices, in exchange for power."

"There are passages in the scriptures... But I don't believe them to be real," replied the Priest, exhaling smoke through his mouth and shrugging.

"And what if you saw it with your own eyes?"

"I would be sure that it's not Sanctum." Upon hearing this, Caterina looked down, with a troubled expression.

"I'll be honest with you, Guardian Robben... I'm not exactly sure what to think. About the Brotherhood, about the Sword, about Serenia, about Nova Orda, or about the mages. But that monster killed my comrades without any difficulty, and the mage you sent, on the other hand... He blew up a third of the damn demon's body, even within its territory... I want to be as strong as that mage, and for that, I must renounce."

"Your reason is to learn magic?"

"Exactly. I heard enough in the witch's refuge, anyone can learn it... That mage saved my life, following instructions from a Guardian of the Faith... He can't be a mere agent of heresy or evil..."

"Ha! I wonder if that would be a compliment to the young Antorique..."

Meanwhile, Tori had slept for two consecutive days, and since he decided to leave his room, he spent entire mornings and afternoons in the forest witch's refuge... Or in another place that no one had been able to decipher. According to his words, there were "A couple of things he needed to practice."

Kilometers to the north, at the inn in Windhaven; Eustace, Alexa, Nathaniel, Elizabeth, and Dan, the coachman, gathered to discuss their experiences asking about Tori in the village.

"Definitely, no Moriarty lives here!" said Eustace with total seriousness.

"...You never even knew his name besides 'Tori'... and you tried to search for him with a made-up first name..." Nate said, rolling his eyes.

"You're a complete idiot, Eustace," added Alexa. "If you only know his pseudonym, search for him as Mori, and that's it."

"Oh... Really?" said Elizabeth, looking agitated.

"Well, surprise. I found his family and... He left at least four days ago! When were you supposed to send him the invitation?!" Nate asked, looking at Eustace.

"Uhm... Oh, whatever! We'll leave first thing in the morning..."

"Wait a moment," intervened Eli. "There's something I think you should know..."

Has Eli found something?

Hey! Hello! If you're enjoying... even a little bit... Leave a follow and a fav. It mean a lot to me!

See you next chap!

0